Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

less laughter posted:

Persian is not a Persian but a Siamese
Pidgeot is not a pigeon but an osprey
Beedrill is not a bee but a hornet
etc.

many gen I names are dumb

It’s called the Duck Pokémon! It’s Japanese name is Koduck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Meanwhile Luigi which is a giant Glaucus atlanticus who lives at the bottom of the sea is a Flying type????????

Luigi is my favourite crossover Pokémon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s called the Duck Pokémon! It’s Japanese name is Koduck!

Ducklett is the true Duck Pokémon to me and Psyduck and Golduck are platypuses (platypi?)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

etc.

yeah you're not kidding. the rival's name is BUTT !!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

less laughter posted:

Ducklett is the true Duck Pokémon to me and Psyduck and Golduck are platypuses (platypi?)

Farfetch'd was a Duck Pokémon first :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

But Psyduck has feathers

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I noticed this happening to me too, where I reached a certain point in the Game and all of a sudden Rotom started pestering me at an exponentially higher rate. Is their some hidden checkpoint in the story that tells him to be even more annoying?

It happens right after he asks if he can give you a nickname. Regardless of your choice.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spent 30+ minutes SoS chaining Cubones until it struggled to death and now I find out Frisk doesn't work on SoS Pokemon. Woops

I guess I'll transfer a Galvantula from ORAS with CompoundEyes and Thief.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

less laughter posted:

etc.

But Alolan Persian is a persian so all is forgiven.
(Also I always thought Pidgeys looked more like sparrows than Spearow)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the worst possible team of six unique Pokemon that don't repeat the same type? Ice/Ground and Ice are fine, another Ice/Ground or Ice is not.

Edit: Fully evolved is preferable.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the worst possible team of six unique Pokemon that don't repeat the same type? Ice/Ground and Ice are fine, another Ice/Ground or Ice is not.

Luvdisc, Unown, male Combee, Spinda, Wobbuffet, Delibird

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Male Combee(if this is cheating then use Ledian), Unown, Luvdisc, Delibird, Spinda, and I guess Corsola. I'd put Pyukumuku but I'd repeat a type. Smeargle is potentially worse than Spinda depending on the moveset you give it.

If you just mean awful for playing the story then there's a lot of super defensive Pokemon like Shuckle, Forretress, Wobbuffet, ect.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 21, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Non-Imposter Ditto, Delibird, Luvdisc, Unown, Kricketune, Minun

E: Stall Sableye without Mega Evolution

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why are there so many trainers who only have one Pokemon? I'm on Victory Road, which I thought was supposed to be a big deal but I guess not considering that most of the trainers on it are schlubs who only brought one Pokemon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let’s Go implies that the trainers you meet on routes are professionals that are trained to serve as opponents for kids on their journeys, and they have bosses who are in charge of training and leading them. I don’t think the guys you meet in Victory Road are necessarily challengers in their own right.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Why are there so many trainers who only have one Pokemon? I'm on Victory Road, which I thought was supposed to be a big deal but I guess not considering that most of the trainers on it are schlubs who only brought one Pokemon

I always assumed that the Cooltrainers on Victory Road have other Pokemon that have already fainted.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Let’s Go implies that the trainers you meet on routes are professionals that are trained to serve as opponents for kids on their journeys, and they have bosses who are in charge of training and leading them. I don’t think the guys you meet in Victory Road are necessarily challengers in their own right.

A lot of Cooltrainers on Victory Road have dialogue implying that they're trying to get though to challenge the Elite Four, though.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Managing a full team seems to be a rare skill in the game, it's RPG protagonism.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YaketySass posted:

Managing a full team seems to be a rare skill in the game, it's RPG protagonism.

There can only be one Pokemaster at any time, everyone else is just not as good as you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YaketySass posted:

A lot is just gameplay stuff though. Cheren in B/W2 confirms gym leaders have a stable of Pokemon and only use ones appropriate for their challenger and there are a bunch of other trainers that mention having more pokemon than you beat.

~in universe~ they might also have low level companion pokemon or non-battlers (hello HM slaves) who you don't fight. Or on routes pokemon who have already fainted.

Also maybe most people aren't dumb enough to use every pokemon in every fight and be forced to run back to a Pokecenter with no pokemon to protect them any time they lose :v:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'd enjoy Pokemon a lot more if it halved the amount of trainers and doubled the size of their parties. Give them interesting teams with challenging movesets!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'd enjoy Pokemon a lot more if it halved the amount of trainers and doubled the size of their parties. Give them interesting teams with challenging movesets!

Yeah, I would like a Master Quest option in my POkemon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
B2/W2 had difficulty settings didn’t it? How was that?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the last few months I've played through Gen 6 and Gen 5 (still working on B2), and they're pretty darn good, but firing up Ultra Moon again to register for that tournament and do some work on my shiny Eeveeloution breeding project reminded me just how freaking good Gen 7 is. it's wild how much the graphics and gameplay advanced between 6 and 7 on the same system. XY/ORAS seem like DS ports in comparison. the story and world is so much more fun and unique in comparison. also the new mons are all pretty great, and the legendaries really feel like a part of Alola instead of just some tacked on Ubers with a vague nature connection. SwSh have a lot to live up to

e: also if anybody wants, I have perfect IV Adamant, Calm, Bold, and Timid Eevees, and 5 best 1 fantastic IV Eevees with Adamant, Bold, Timid, Calm, and Careful. 4657-1702-0928, in-game name illdigi. I can't get online right now but later on tonight and most mornings

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 21, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RatHat posted:

Bad. The way it's balanced Easy mode is harder than normal and Hard mode is easier than normal because gamefreak.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I haven't had much trouble with B2 but Ghetsis really kicked my rear end. I had to use two revives to win that fight, and haven't used any before or since. I got lazy hoping Darmanitan could just 1HKO Seismotoad (forgot it was water/ground) and letting an underleveled Virizion square off against Drapion

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

Bad. The way it's balanced Easy mode is harder than normal and Hard mode is easier than normal because gamefreak.

Wait, what? How?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

RatHat posted:

Wait, what? How?

There's less experience to go around since everything is lower leveled, essentially.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

RatHat posted:

The hard mode is called Challenge Mode and is lots of fun to play. You really need to strategize.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wait, what? How?

Pokemon get much stronger at certain breakpoints. Like Charmander->Charmeleon is a huge increase in stats and effectiveness.

Easy mode lowered the levels of all trainers which means your pokemon level up slower and later. It means your starter won't likely be evolves by Clay's gym which makes his Excadrill a nightmare since its still an evolves powerhouse.

Conversely Hard mode jacks up levels and gives out more Pokemon to a few trainers so you level up much quicker without much of an increase in difficulty.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A lot of the difficulty is put in the lategame, where levels are usually 5 higher than regular and there's a bunch of items and new mons. Easy mode is just the regular game, but everything is lower levelled. And that's it. But because the early game of the hard mode is only slightly higher levelled, your Pokemon get a much bigger boost early and make the rest of the game much easier.

I'm actually perfectly fine trainers having less Pokemon in later games, because Emerald has over 500 regular trainer battles and a good chunk of them have around 3-4 Pokemon and are boring as hell. More trainers with 1 Pokemon please, I don't have time to waste on all these garbage NPCs. Also less Pokemon means less experience, thus making the trainers that purposefully have 4+ Pokemon an actual challenge.

However, rivals and important trainers only having like 3-4 Pokemon until postgame where they suddenly obtain 2 extra Pokemon is pretty bullshit. Gen 5 started a dangerous precedent.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Which Pokemon game would y'all say has the best endgame when it comes to battling, particularly where Single Battles are concerned?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, I beat Pokemon X

good points

the final four and champion section is pretty great
you can change your outfit
Your outfit shows up in cutscenes, so my character accepted the Legion of Honor while wearing camo socks and a pink trucker hat
massive variety of Pokemon
roller derby gym

bad points

your friends are all terrible and show up way too often. The whole thing feels less like an adventure and more like a terribly disorganized outing with friends
The plot was dull and poorly told
The main bad guy sucked.
the pacing/difficulty curve was bad.
too many teleporter panel dungeons/gyms
They spend all this time talking about mega evolution and by the end I still can't mega evolve my starter!

Overall, I didn't really enjoy it. I'm glad I played Alpha Sapphire first, because if I had gone with X first I probably wouldn't have bothered with any more Pokemon games for awhile. But from Alpha Sapphire I know I can really enjoy a Pokemon game. So I will play Pokemon Moon in the future.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Which Pokemon game would y'all say has the best endgame when it comes to battling, particularly where Single Battles are concerned?

B2W2, no contest.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i want every location/dungeon to be as large and packed with trainers as victory road or silph co
at least give me a good mt. moon gamefreak :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

or make every trainer after the first gym have at least 3 pokemon

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Cacturne is cool.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
yeah she was mistyped as a Grass/Dark-type, should've been Cute/Cool-type

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

RatHat posted:

What everyone else forgot to mention is that you unlocked the difficulty key by beating the Champion, and you lose it if you start a new game. So if you want to start a new game in hard mode, you have to find someone else with a copy of Black 2, who has beaten their Champion, and then connect to their game and get their key.

Or Gameshark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I think we can all agree that Gen 1 was a complete mess of a game by any objective standard.

As I understand it part of the problem was that Game Freak was still organised like a gaggle of friends making a comic book about stuff they liked. They were constantly delivering stuff late, and their code quality was awful. By 1997 they were up to their ears in technical debt; Pokémon 2 floundered as resources were diverted to produce Blue and Yellow, and eventually they scaled it down and hired some extra staff to produce what ended up being Gold and Silver.