Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TJs is more the exception though since it’s their rule to talk to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Welcome to Costco.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My CostCo tried self-checkout lanes for a year or so which was modestly better in some ways, but they got rid of them because people stole too much stuff.

Even on weekdays when it’s fairly dead it can be a pain because they likely only have 1-2 lanes open so they still get backed up.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've always found the Costco cashiers to be closer to TJ's than I'd like. I'm not here to chit-chat, I'm here to make a bunch of regrettable bulk purchases that I cannot hope to eat before they go bad.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
They literally just added self checkout at my local Costco, and it's been great for quick trips, so I hope people don't cheat it and get it taken away. :ohdear:

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Ultraklystron posted:

They literally just added self checkout at my local Costco, and it's been great for quick trips, so I hope people don't cheat it and get it taken away. :ohdear:

Costco is trying to roll out self checkouts again. I guess they changed it in a way that makes it better somehow, but I won't understand what's different about it this time until I see it for myself. The little bit I've read about them from Costco employees have been very positive though.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

They have self checkouts at Sam's here and they're amazing because it's a cordless scanner gun thing so you just stack everything in your cart with the UPC out and scan everything super quick. There's always like 4 self checkout lanes empty, too. Is that how Costco's are? Ours doesn't have them yet.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
How do you even steal from Costco? Why would you WANT to?!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How do you even steal from Costco? Why would you WANT to?!

They check receipts at the door here. Kinda a pain in the rear end, and also implied criminal.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Okay I just got back from Costco. It was a very good experience today. It was uncanny how things went at the checkout this time, as if Costco was following this thread and initiated changes immediately for my shopping experience to go well today.

I got something to help dry my cry baby tears.

Pbuc

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Burt Sexual posted:

They check receipts at the door here. Kinda a pain in the rear end, and also implied criminal.

I read somewhere the official reason they check is to make sure there wasn’t anything that was double scanned or not put in the cart and I rolled my eyes p good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

I read somewhere the official reason they check is to make sure there wasn’t anything that was double scanned or not put in the cart and I rolled my eyes p good.

It's true. Employees not scanning something is a far, far greater source of shrink than any customer theft.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FCKGW posted:

It's true. Employees not scanning something is a far, far greater source of shrink than any customer theft.

Oh the thing I read made it sound more like it was ensuring the customers didn’t get short changed on something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

They have self checkouts at Sam's here and they're amazing because it's a cordless scanner gun thing so you just stack everything in your cart with the UPC out and scan everything super quick. There's always like 4 self checkout lanes empty, too. Is that how Costco's are? Ours doesn't have them yet.

Ours doesn't have a self-checkout but when it gets busy there's a guy with a handheld scanner running between the lanes and pre-scanning everything in the cart of people still waiting in line. When you get up to the register, the cashier just scans your cart's barcode and double checks your stuff and mashes the checkout button. It flies through super quick and seems way better than a self-checkout system.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

*gives overflowing cart a once-over*
*glances at the 2 foot long receipt and slashes on it with a dying sharpie*
Thank you for shopping at Costco, I really hope you didn't steal anything

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Sam's also has an app that you can scan and check out with. That's the best way to shop imo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My costco has slippers in S,M and XL.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The receipt checkers do make sure you don't buy a $6 bottle of wine and swap it for an expensive bottle but otherwise they're checking to make sure you don't get double charged for one item.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Weird that this came up today! I was checking out and I guess the lady missed a box of pencils. Then the lady at the door missed it, too. I wasn't paying too much attention and only noticed when I was at my car putting my stuff in the trunk. Sorry bout the $10 box of pencils, Costco, but your lines are too long to go back in on a Sunday to pay for them.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
You need to be pro level when checking out. While waiting in line, or even as you put poo poo in your cart, arrange with the barcode facing up for easy scanning. When you hit the conveyor belt, flip the plastic divided upside down and place your card there (then when the cashier gets to your stuff they just grab and scan your card). Put as few items as possible on the belt, keeping as much as you can in the cart. I personally refuse boxing, stacks fine in my car.

I think my pleasant checkout experience probably lasts 30-45 seconds once I'm up to bat, and that is usually with 10+ items ($100+).

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

phosdex posted:

Sam's also has an app that you can scan and check out with. That's the best way to shop imo.

Yeah I know, I used to use it until it just stopped working completely at my Sam's?? everything I'd scan would be like "you can only buy this at a register" like it was alcohol or drugs, but it was like chicken or whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Oh the thing I read made it sound more like it was ensuring the customers didn’t get short changed on something.

Yeah the article makes sense too when you read it. Also I seem to recall someone who was a former Costco checker came into the thread and said that it’s true and the checkers take a hit when they miss something / double charge.

Costco checking receipts is good for us.
PBUC

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

i had a hot dog from the food court today. it was good. i ate the fruit smoothie later on at home.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rusty Shackelford posted:

We booked our honeymoon through Costco Travel and it was great.

We did too with an all inclusive resort. All on the Citibank card for bonuses.

Was awesome highly recommend it.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Has anyone had the KS dried half-dipped chocolate pineapple rings?

Because God drat.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Because God drat.

The KS dark chocolate covered dried mango is awesome, gonna try the pineapple next.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Because God drat.

I hate you for telling me about this. I found them at Costco today and holy poo poo, I'm already fat enough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

belt posted:

I hate you for telling me about this. I found them at Costco today and holy poo poo, I'm already fat enough.

Costco: Holy poo poo I’m already fat enough

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MarcusSA posted:

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I've been a Costco member for 413 days.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

milkingmycow posted:

Congrats.

That's alotta refills

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Because God drat.

It's not fair, because they're half good and half bad for me at the same time. I mean, logically fruit is healthy, right? That's my justification for buying them. I mean it's just a handful here and there. The bag lasts a couple days. Delicious!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

milkingmycow posted:

you are like a little baby

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Because God drat.

I actually wasn’t a big fan. I mean, I’m also fat, but they just weren’t that good. The chocolate was delicious but it overwhelmed the pineapple flavor and made it seem like I was just eating chewy chocolate.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

El Jebus posted:

I actually wasn’t a big fan. I mean, I’m also fat, but they just weren’t that good. The chocolate was delicious but it overwhelmed the pineapple flavor and made it seem like I was just eating chewy chocolate.

Agreeing on all points but wanna add since it's dried pineapple, the fibers that get stuck between teeth will also be covered in chocolate. We weren't fans and I think we ate three rings before giving them away. Luckily they were on clearance so we're only out a few dollars.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Coffee slush and chicken bake hell yeah

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MarcusSA posted:

Lol

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

If that oil is actually good it could be a big help in my "All olives other than Kalamatas are complete trash and all olive groves should be uprooted to provide more groves for kalamatas" idea.

Not to be the olive version of a wine snob, but there is significant terroir properties in the tastes of olive oils. There are also thousands of varieties of olives, some are oil only, some are table olives, some, like kalamata, can be used for both, and others are just decorative. Where I grew up in Arizona it was pretty standard for awhile to plant decorative olives as landscaping. Every year, the sidewalks would be stained with olives because they were inedible and nobody ever pruned them before they fell off. They also caused major allergy issues. I think I heard they banned the planting of them a few years back because of this.

Relayer posted:

gently caress you man green olives ruing and eat my rear end in a top hat forever
You realize the only difference between green and black olives is at what stage of development they are picked, right? You can buy green kalamata olives. Now you both win.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love a good mixed olives snack bowl, with the giant ones with garlic stuffing and smaller green ones with cheese in there.. then some purple ones and then the teeny darker green ones. Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I lived near Seattle they'd have olive bars in grocery stores. Just a cart with nothing but olives and stuff. It was neat but too expensive for me.