Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL I keep forgetting. :v:

The production budget on Spawn is reportedly $10 million which is pretty fuckin' embarrassing. It got picked up by Blumhouse a few years ago and was supposed to start filming in early 2019 but McFarlane did an interview last month where he was still doing pre-prod like working on Spawn's costume design. The interviewer asks him about a release date and Todd pretty much talked around the topic, the project sounds like it's still a long way off from actually starting. I think we can put this one in the "I'll believe it when I see it" basket.

Apparently they already finished principal photography on Bloodshot back in 2018 but it won't be released until 2020. It stars Vin Diesel with Guy Pearce I guess as the bad guy, details about it are still pretty scarce.

Wait, $10 million?

Is Spawn going to be played by a dude in a halloween costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, $10 million?

Is Spawn going to be played by a dude in a halloween costume?

Apparently it's going to be played by Jamie Foxx in a halloween costume. :v:

In the interview I posted McFarlane is talking about doing Spawn's costume transformation as a physical effect, I guess they can't afford CGI on that budget.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

Every rich black American I know is involved in either sports or entertainment, so Black Batman should just be a baseball-themed superhero.

Picturing him played by Michael Dorn from the Benny Russel episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing is that Nolan's movies are still insane. Like the Scarecrow rides a firebreathing horse on screen, the Joker is basically the Devil, and the Lazarus Pits are able to get in there.

What people don't get about Nolan is that it was never about tactical realism. It was about stripping things down to their most basic level to get at what is at the essence of a character or concept, and then building from there.

Of course, though BvS at least had the TDKR power armour. The Nolan movies had those things thematically rather than literally, for the most part. But we all know how good most of Hollywood is with themes. The whole point is that Batman is an insane and absurd idea, and one you can have fun with.

Funny thing is that BvS Batman is basically Iron Man's Avengers arc with less wisecracking, a wealthy powerful vigilante going a bit nuts over the idea of superpowered aliens that make all of his exceptional advantages and abilities irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and slowly learning to accept his place as a citizen of the universe, not just one planet where he's in the .1%.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The new Spawn didn't get greenlighted per se, McFarlane got tired of shopping his script around and said "gently caress it I'm paying it all myself."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The discussion of what a good take on Black Batman would be reminds me of Deadshot's excellent backwards-Batman-origin in Suicide Squad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2fIs3Snsuo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LOL I keep forgetting. :v:

The production budget on Spawn is reportedly $10 million which is pretty fuckin' embarrassing. It got picked up by Blumhouse a few years ago and was supposed to start filming in early 2019 but McFarlane did an interview last month where he was still doing pre-prod like working on Spawn's costume design. The interviewer asks him about a release date and Todd pretty much talked around the topic, the project sounds like it's still a long way off from actually starting. I think we can put this one in the "I'll believe it when I see it" basket.

Apparently they already finished principal photography on Bloodshot back in 2018 but it won't be released until 2020. It stars Vin Diesel with Guy Pearce I guess as the bad guy, details about it are still pretty scarce.
It was always supposed to be very low budget, like a horror film. That's been part of his pitch from the beginning

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Black Bruce Wayne as a big charter school proponent.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Charter Schools and Private Schools are pushed in America because conservatives want white only christian madrassas raising fanatical cultists. I don't think a black man would go for that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

Charter Schools and Private Schools are pushed in America because conservatives want white only christian madrassas raising fanatical cultists. I don't think a black man would go for that.

Charter schools in black communities have major support from the black economic elite. It's only very recently that the NAACP has changed its position and started to oppose them. There's a reason why Cory Booker is a huge supporter of charter schools and why Bernie Sander's opposition to them is touted as an example of his "racism."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gatts posted:

two different issues. You're right about private schools, but charters are weird public/private things that are generally pushed by super technocratty centrists and business/silicon valley types (Mark Zuckerberg, Corey Booker and Chris Christie worked together in New Jersey to build a charter system to mixed-to-bad results).

Where they get conflated is Vouchers, which are generally pushed by both, which allows public money to go to private schools. Charters are bad and dumb because profit shouldn't be a motive for education, vouchers are bad and dumb because private schools are all terrible and shouldn't get public money.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gatts posted:

Miles Morales goes to a private school for some reason in Spider-Verse. He won his admission in some sort of lottery, which is itself pretty gross.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

two different issues. You're right about private schools, but charters are weird public/private things that are generally pushed by super technocratty centrists and business/silicon valley types (Mark Zuckerberg, Corey Booker and Chris Christie worked together in New Jersey to build a charter system to mixed-to-bad results).

Where they get conflated is Vouchers, which are generally pushed by both, which allows public money to go to private schools. Charters are bad and dumb because profit shouldn't be a motive for education, vouchers are bad and dumb because private schools are all terrible and shouldn't get public money.

Thank you for the clarification.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Miles Morales goes to a private school for some reason in Spider-Verse. He won his admission in some sort of lottery, which is itself pretty gross.

yeah the whole lottery thing with charter schools is pretty heinous. dangle the chance of better opportunities in front of a bunch of poor minorities and spin it as a generous act of charity for good PR

it was a good idea to bring that into spider-verse though. it gives miles a 'lonely outsider' status that was strong in classic spider-man without making him a victim of racist bullying or anything like that by treading too closely to the formula

Violator
May 15, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It was always supposed to be very low budget, like a horror film. That's been part of his pitch from the beginning

Yeah, it was also my understanding that you'll see very little of Spawn. Last I read it was supposed to be a hardboiled crime film following some detectives and they encounter Spawn during their investigations. Like how Danny Glover only runs into the Predator a few times in Predator 2.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

In the interview I posted McFarlane is talking about doing Spawn's costume transformation as a physical effect, I guess they can't afford CGI on that budget.

Do they understand that good physical effects also cost money, sometimes more than CG?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And Jeremy Renner's playing one of the cops.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Eh, I don't think Miles's school is supposed to be a private school. His dad talks about him taking a test. I think it's probably most comparable to New York's specialized high schools like Brooklyn Tech. The read I got was Miles passed the entrance exam, but didn't get a particularly high score. His entrance was based on a diversity lottery, similar to entrance reforms that DeBlasio is pushing now.

But in general his school is sort of a combination of charters, private schools, magnet schools, boarding schools---and it really doesn't matter what the school actually is--it just matters that Miles doesn't feel like he belongs. The school is meant to mirror his experience as Spider-Man.

DC Murderverse posted:

While there are the random embezzlement cases, charters offer a wide variety of problems and few have to really do with being for profit.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 20, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timeless Appeal posted:

But in general his school is sort of an combination of charters, private schools, magnet schools, boarding schools---and it really doesn't matter what the school actually is--it just matters that Miles doesn't feel like he belongs. The school is meant to mirror his experience as Spider-Man.
Yeah, and as much as it sucks the whole "Bet on the private/charter/magnet school entrance lotto to get my kid out of this place" is a very real sentiment in minority communities.

Calling out SpiderVerse for that just means you're out of touch.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Pointing out a real problem is being out of touch?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

The new Spawn didn't get greenlighted per se, McFarlane got tired of shopping his script around and said "gently caress it I'm paying it all myself."

Yeah he's planning on producing, writing and directing it himself which is usually not a good sign, especially since he's never written or directed a feature film before.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Do they understand that good physical effects also cost money, sometimes more than CG?

Nah you just hire some guys who just graduated from the Tom Savini School who are eager for experience and exposure and are prepared to work cheap, it'll all work out fine! Just fine!!!

Davros1 posted:

And Jeremy Renner's playing one of the cops.

Well, he's slated to play one of the cops right now but who knows who'll actually end up in the role if the movie eventually gets made. Productions which get dragged out for years and years always go through a game of musical chairs when it comes to casting because actors can't keep their schedules open forever. McFarlane is real keen to attach names to the project though, projects with names are a lot easier to move forwards.

Violator posted:

Yeah, it was also my understanding that you'll see very little of Spawn. Last I read it was supposed to be a hardboiled crime film following some detectives and they encounter Spawn during their investigations. Like how Danny Glover only runs into the Predator a few times in Predator 2.

I just read one article which said that Spawn might not even get any speaking lines, he'll just be a "force of nature" appearing sporadically throughout the film.

BBC America were also developing a Sam & Twitch TV series with Kevin Smith but that also appears to have stalled.

Edit: of course none of this means that the film may not get made or may not turn out to be good or fun or anything, the production is just looking super shaky at the moment.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
why in the world would anyone give kevin smith money in 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ammanas posted:

why in the world would anyone give kevin smith money in 2019

quote:

"We're not troubled! We're not troubled!" the production continued to insist as it slowly shrank and transformed into a Kevin Smith joint.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blood Boils posted:

The movie is at least implicitly presenting it as a problem or at least something having a negative effect on Miles, at the very least it's a real phenomenon.

They pretty much do something similar in Homecoming with Peter Parker as a poor kid going to a magnet school with rich kids, and the contrast to how he does when Tony Stark takes his fancy iron spider suit away.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The movie is at least implicitly presenting it as a problem or at least something having a negative effect on Miles, at the very least it's a real phenomenon.

They pretty much do something similar in Homecoming with Peter Parker as a poor kid going to a magnet school with rich kids, and the contrast to how he does when Tony Stark takes his fancy iron spider suit away.

Also Spider-Man being a broke dork thrust into crazy social and superhero situations is like peak Spider-Man so I don't see the problem with this in either movie. Plus I appreciated that Spider-Verse presented this as something that's great for Miles on the surface but in reality is something stifling him as a person because it wasn't his call to make. Remember he doesn't just not score well, he intentionally fails so he'll get rejected but his teacher takes that choice away from him.

Nah you just hire some guys who just graduated from the Tom Savini School who are eager for experience and exposure and are prepared to work cheap, it'll all work out fine! Just fine!!!

This movie's going to suck, but man speaking of Savini's era a grimy video nasty style take on Spawn would be amazing with the right folks involved.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ammanas posted:

maybe he never edited it after the snap

Not editing it after having a kid was kinda irresponsible.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

thrawn527 posted:

Not editing it after having a kid was kinda irresponsible.

maybe he re- edited it right before the time heist hijinks in case they worked

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ammanas posted:

maybe he re- edited it right before the time heist hijinks in case they worked

I think part of it is that the gems are like the mother boxes in DC comics where like you don't need to say out loud or particularly express in detail what you want because they're so powerful they do exactly what you personally want in the exact way you "would" want it when you use it. But I think they only sort of allude to this in movies where the mind gem pops up prominently.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Remember he doesn't just not score well, he intentionally fails so he'll get rejected but his teacher takes that choice away from him.

More pointedly, he purposely gets every answer wrong, informing that he probably knew all the right answers,which is what tipped the teacher off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blood Boils posted:

We might be talking past each other here. If you're approaching it from a pov being "limiting access to good schools sucks and subjecting people to weird limited lottery slots is bad and just shows how broken U.S. Public Ed Policy is" I agree.

But on the other hand, I think that beat is part of the story work that makes Miles' journey authentic and communicates a lot to the viewer with little actual infodumping. It says a ton about Miles's family that they're pushing him to make this work -- they know he's bright, they want him to get a good start, they're worried about the similarities to his Uncle that they see in his Street Art.
My original response was prompted by the way the other poster spoke about the admissions lottery that's mentioned in passing -- limited admission slots + waiting lists + 'randomized' lotteries are all part of the Charter movement toolkit. Saying it's gross made it seem like the poster had no experience or reference to common practices at those kinds of schools.

Heck, Success Academy Charters in NY has this on their about page:

quote:

Founded in 2006, Success Academy Charter Schools is the largest and highest-performing free, public charter school network in New York City. Admission is open to all New York State children, including those with special needs and English language learners. Students are admitted by a random lottery held each April.

Or just read what Brother Entropy wrote.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah the whole lottery thing with charter schools is pretty heinous. dangle the chance of better opportunities in front of a bunch of poor minorities and spin it as a generous act of charity for good PR

it was a good idea to bring that into spider-verse though. it gives miles a 'lonely outsider' status that was strong in classic spider-man without making him a victim of racist bullying or anything like that by treading too closely to the formula

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

But on the other hand, I think that beat is part of the story work that makes Miles' journey authentic and communicates a lot to the viewer with little actual infodumping. It says a ton about Miles's family that they're pushing him to make this work -- they know he's bright, they want him to get a good start, they're worried about the similarities to his Uncle that they see in his Street Art.
My original response was prompted by the way the other poster spoke about the admissions lottery that's mentioned in passing -- limited admission slots + waiting lists + 'randomized' lotteries are all part of the Charter movement toolkit. Saying it's gross made it seem like the poster had no experience or reference to common practices at those kinds of schools.

Thinking charter lotteries is gross ain't "calling out" the film, it's a condemnation of the practice.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, but it's a misunderstanding of the film and charter lotteries.

Miles got in because he passed a test and the film makes it clear that he's smart. The film is hinting more at him getting a seat through a lottery which we can read being rooted in his socio-economic status. It mirrors how he's technically a Spider-Man, but doesn't feel like he's actually a Spider-Man. Like I said, the school is sort a stand-in for a lot of things, but on a literal level it's just a fancier Brooklyn Tech.

But I also don't think you guys understand how the charter lotteries work? The idea of the charter lotteries is that when there are more applicants than seats for a charter school that all the seats are chosen by lottery. This is meant to ensure that the charter isn't either stockpiling gifted and talented students to inflate their data or stock piling EL or IEP students in order to inflate their funding.

Like it's upsetting that some families put their hopes on the promises of charters and a lottery to get their kid in a decent and safe school, but that speaks to a broader problem that all our schools need to be decent and safe. The lotteries are a less shady aspect of charters.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 21, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

But I also don't think you guys understand how the charter lotteries work? The idea of the charter lotteries is that when there are more applicants than seats for a charter school that the seats are chosen by lottery.

drat, thanks for clearing that up for us. I was too out of touch to understand it, obviously.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

drat, thanks for clearing that up for us. I was too out of touch to understand it, obviously.
Well, I was clearing it up for posts like this...

quote:

Which actually seemed confused about how the lotteries work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The lotteries are perverse because they starkly dramatize the flight of public money to private enterprise.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No one's defending the practice of school lotteries you bunch of mooks.

As loving repugnant as the practice is (and really the state of education in this hellhole), its inclusion in the film is a good choice for a number of reasons (true to life, serves Miles' narrative, etc).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

No one's defending the practice of school lotteries you bunch of mooks.
Eh... I'll sheepishly raise my hand.

I'm against Charters on principal, but I think that a lot of people don't fully understand what they are. Like Brother Entropy had a reasonable assumption for what the lotteries are, but it's an inaccurate understanding. And Hindu's point is a little off since the lotteries more speak to demand from parents for the charter and is actually an attempt to curb attempts charters could do to drain more money out of the system. Charters are lovely, but the lotteries aren't the problem. They're a reasonable check to keep things from being worse.

Also, if the lottery system in the film was to increase diversity in a specialized high school like DeBlasio's new proposal, it's actually a really, really good system. Like I think the take the school itself is bad for Miles are kind of missing the point.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
7 Senators Miles Morales Should Have Killed in "Spider-Verse"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Lee Pace is a gay farmer so they'd never cast him as Batman despite being amazing.

I like Patterson's casting. He's a great actor and I bet he gets huge for the role.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Lee Pace is a gay farmer so they'd never cast him as Batman despite being amazing.

I like Patterson's casting. He's a great actor and I bet he gets huge for the role.

Farmer hey? So you're saying he should be SuperMan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrdvVn5frFw

wtf is this? Is this supposed to be a clip from the actual movie?