Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

While the tournament took ages, I don't think it felt especially slow. The story kept cutting away to other heroes beating up random monsters but usually it'd just be for a chapter of "Wow, this S ranker is really cool!" and it never dwelled long its fights so things were kept kinda quick.There's certainly other parts of the story that feel a lot slower to me.

It's bigger detriment is that the tournament itself is pretty lame. It's got a couple of solid gags and some of the stuff at the end is kinda interesting. But all in all it's not that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It works better as an anime as the contrast to the Sea king flows almost like a recap.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tournament just feels like a repetition where you know exactly what's going to happen, and it does, and having to wait years for that was unfortunate. It's the same sequence of events we'd seen so many times before and at that point I would prefer to see things involving characters I like like King, Fang, and Fubuki.

I dont think anyone reading it now would care it's like 10 issues.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What the heck, why have I never seen the fight between Saitama and Goketsu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HdOG_xEmpk

[edit] it's apparently fanmade??

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It works better as an anime as the contrast to the Sea king flows almost like a recap.

This guy thinks the JC Staff season 2 anime works better than Murata's version. LMfao.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

This guy thinks the JC Staff season 2 anime works better than Murata's version. LMfao.

No, I just don't like this arc and want it to go away and I think JC Staff treatment is all it really deserves.

I am not happy with how it treated King.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think you might have some kind of fixation on this man

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mordaedil posted:

I am not happy with how it treated King.

....as a hero who put himself on the line to save the city from extreme danger?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

....as a hero who put himself on the line to save the city from extreme danger?

No, I mean how the anime seemed to just kinda put out what happened with a whimper instead of a spectacle. The stuff that needed to happen happened, but there's like a lack of oomph in how the scenes are done, if that makes any sense. No impact.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

IT LOOKS LIKE poo poo

SHIIIIIIIIT

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Even outside of the context of this specific underwhelming adaptation, a lot of storylines are paced and are just plain presented better in any manga compared to their anime adaptation. I agree that it's weird to spend so many episodes dryly going through these fights with bit characters, but in the manga it goes by in a flash and the studio should be able to compress time to suit the story. I don't know where this is going to end up, but I hope Zombieman makes an appearance before the end.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i jsut think i caught up with the webcomic. one really hasn't gone terribly far since the last time i read, which felt like two years ago? though atomic samurai challenging king was funny

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The webcomic was on hiatus for like 2 years so that makes sense

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

whoa

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm rereading the redraw and it amazes me how extremely SNES-era Dragon Quest final boss Orochi is

Especially since Orochi is just a NES-era Dragon Quest mid boss :rimshot:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Shugojin posted:

I'm rereading the redraw and it amazes me how extremely SNES-era Dragon Quest final boss Orochi is

Especially since Orochi is just a NES-era Dragon Quest mid boss :rimshot:

Eh, he reminds me more of Psaro from the DS remake:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

For me it's

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This episode was fun at the very least.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

:whitewater:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God, Saitama looks so poo poo here. Which is very fitting.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
"You see, I had an advantage. While most people are fast, or strong, my body... is wiggly."

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
[edit]Shoot, wrong thread.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 22, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got the wrong thread :ssh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559267&pagenumber=57&perpage=40

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of the webcomic it came with an update about the manga

:(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
drat, RIP Murata's dad

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Well, the animation has gotten better in the last 2 episodes. It's high point is still well below season 1's low point but it's on par with decent anime average. I'm a bit disappointed that the Suiryu fight wasn't smoother but not surprised.

loving sucks about Murata's Dad. Hope the guy gets all the time he needs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fish Noise posted:

"You see, I had an advantage. While most people are fast, or strong, my body... is wiggly."

Reminds me of the Deep Sea King fight where he just pops Saitama on the head and it jiggles like a bobblehead.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
RIP murata's dad :(

The junk collector posted:

Well, the animation has gotten better in the last 2 episodes.

you are insane

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Suiryu's head looked comically off-model in the action sequences.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think they know how to draw broader shouldered men. His head looked funny to me too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hace posted:

you are insane

It's less that the animation has gotten better and more the shoddyness of the animation fits with how Saitama does things.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I love how they managed to make a completely static Saitama look awful with that loving giraffe neck.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus there is absolutely no sense of speed or impact in any of that, it is really sad. Watching Kimestu no Yaiba and then that is just jarring.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus there is absolutely no sense of speed or impact in any of that, it is really sad. Watching Kimestu no Yaiba and then that is just jarring.

Comparing other studios to Ufotable is putting a really high bar.

A better comparison here would be...I dunno, Toei? And even there Toei has really high highs, so it's more like Toei at a really bad time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Comparing other studios to Ufotable is putting a really high bar.

A better comparison here would be...I dunno, Toei? And even there Toei has really high highs, so it's more like Toei at a really bad time.
That's fair, it was just the best looking thing I could think of this season. And comparing it to the first season just seemed cruel.

It's just comical seeing Suiryu bring up that huge block and then Saitama just kinda... bonks into it. Maybe it was like that in the manga, I don't remember, or maybe they were going for a "they're moving so fast it's like slow motion to keep up" thing but it just looks really lame.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's fair, it was just the best looking thing I could think of this season. And comparing it to the first season just seemed cruel.

It's just comical seeing Suiryu bring up that huge block and then Saitama just kinda... bonks into it. Maybe it was like that in the manga, I don't remember, or maybe they were going for a "they're moving so fast it's like slow motion to keep up" thing but it just looks really lame.

There's more impact in 2 pages lol.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
That sequence reads so differently on the comic holy poo poo. In Murata's version, Saitama is hopping backwards, and Suiryu popped the platform to make it swing over to slam into Saitama and bring him forwards with it. In the anime, Saitama just....floats up at the now vertical platform...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
The worst part is probably that they cut the whole sequence of "strong vs a hero" where Mumen Rider puts his life on the line to slow the hospital monsters down to contrast with Suiryu's might makes right screed. It's kind of important in what's probably the next episode and I think it's gonna fall flat.

Hace posted:

you are insane

Well, the bar was set extremely low by an almost total lack of animation at all earlier. At least fewer of the shots are still frames sliding across the screen on flash vectors, excepting Saitama floating up to the ring/wall.