Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I ended up getting a 1tb from Best buy for $45. I plan on throwing Retroarch and complete collections for all the older systems and making this my main emulation box. Unless there's some better/prettier front end for the WiiU I should know about (I just went through the home brew channel and that's all it showed.

Now, two more random questions.

1. do I have to hack the Wii side as well or is that like automatic?

2. Are ds games doable in Retroarch or is that more of a injection thing? There's a handful I'm interested in but I like to have as many available so I can just play one if I read about it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You have to hack the Wii side too. I’m not sure if Retroarch does DS games but even if it does, it’s probably not nearly as good as just injecting DS VC games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is psp emulation on switch?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Loving that lakka makes goldeneye almost full speed

Been messing around in linux a bit, got some PS2 games to run slowly but it's a trip seeing it on the switch

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I installed atmosphere but won’t run Homebrew or anything am I still at a ban risk? Can I go back to stock and not be at risk?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a "best" flash cart for a NN3DSXL? I think mine has crapped out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some of them have an expiration date where they stop working. You might see if there's a new firmware version for your card you can put on to make it work again.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

R4i Gold 3DS Plus is probably the best it's ever gonna get

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Some of them have an expiration date where they stop working. You might see if there's a new firmware version for your card you can put on to make it work again.

I've tried that and nothing seems to work. It was a crappy clone, apparently, and the most recent firmware was 2010.

The Big Word posted:

R4i Gold 3DS Plus is probably the best it's ever gonna get

How can I tell which places have a real one and not a clone?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
NDS-card is legit and sells real cards. The R4i Gold 3DS Plus is what I have. It doesn't have all the wifi features and whatnot that other cards boast, but it will never just decide to stop working because it's July 9th and that's when they programmed it to stop working. It also has a separate NTR mode you turn on by prying the plastic case open and flipping a switch so you can hack your 3DS.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

NDS-card is legit and sells real cards. The R4i Gold 3DS Plus is what I have. It doesn't have all the wifi features and whatnot that other cards boast, but it will never just decide to stop working because it's July 9th and that's when they programmed it to stop working. It also has a separate NTR mode you turn on by prying the plastic case open and flipping a switch so you can hack your 3DS.

Cool I'll check them out. It's been 2-3 years since I hacked this thing and did AL9H or whatever. Guess I should start looking at switching to the new hotness so I can actually update stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've tried that and nothing seems to work. It was a crappy clone, apparently, and the most recent firmware was 2010.

How can I tell which places have a real one and not a clone?

Have you tried rolling date back to at least 2009?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doesn’t the R4 Wood firmware fix all the timebomb date crap?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Have you tried rolling date back to at least 2009?

I've tried a ton of different fixes and it just refuses to boot any menus. I get the red crying menu icon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do normal games work? I had trouble getting my DS Lite to read games until I sprayed some de-oxidzer down into the contacts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Do normal games work? I had trouble getting my DS Lite to read games until I sprayed some de-oxidzer down into the contacts.

It was actually working fine until I tried updating the firmware so I could play this randomized Black 2 room :v:

Even the backup I made before switching menus didn't work anymore.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
what the best method to stream 3DS to the pc with the New model?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

I installed atmosphere but won’t run Homebrew or anything am I still at a ban risk? Can I go back to stock and not be at risk?

FWIW i've been running atmosphere and going online since end of last year (I was booting "stock" through hekate before going full atmosphere) and i have not been banned. I haven't actually used homebrew that uses the homebrew launcher, since i don't want any errors going into my error log that could tie back to that.
And since atmosphere completely replaces the crash report module of the switch OS with its own (that obviously does NOT send said reports to nintendo or even saves them on the console memory but redirects them to the SD card), i feel it's pretty safe to use "normally".

Additionally, while i haven't used any homebrew launcher stuff, i HAVE been using custom system modules (so, real low level stuff directly implemented through atmosphere) like a module to control the switch's clock rates per game, or an FTP server on the switch to access the SD card wirelessly, or an amiibo emulator... and, well, not banned. Still playing balloon world in Mario Odyssey.

When atmosphere eventually gets around to implementing an emuNand, i'll keep playing as i am now on my real console profile and go hog wild with homebrew and emulators and whatnot on the always-offline emulated console profile.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hm on thanks for that. I tried retroarch through Homebrew so I may be hosed but oh well. Worse part is Metal Gear Acid didn’t even work 😢

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I plan on never going online with my Switch, so I guess it doesn't matter to me. FWIW even if I didn't run homebrew I wouldn't be playing online anyway, just grabbing updates.

That said, Retroarch on Switch is bloody amazing. There are some slowdowns here and there, but they are so minor you can't even notice during gameplay. I'm sure if I overclocked that would resolve 95% of it. I imagine the cores themselves could be further optimized too.

Just for the hell of it I played GB Tetris last night and the screen was fantastic:

I was close to buying an AGS-101 GBA, but this is so much nicer..

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can play GB Tetris on the Switch without mods, even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ElAHMlzPw

Hm on thanks for that. I tried retroarch through Homebrew so I may be hosed but oh well. Worse part is Metal Gear Acid didn’t even work 😢

I mean, not ever going online is effectively just a self-inflicted ban. You might as well take the chance and go online until Nintendo says you can't anymore. No one really knows what flags you for a ban, and some people have reported that just using the homebrew launcher got them banned (as opposed to installing pirated software with fake tickets or cheating online or w/e), but, well, it's the internet and they might have lied. Or forgotten something they did.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can I just completely wipe my 3DS of all CFW stuff and start fresh with B9S or is it better to upgrade my A9LH to B9S? I'd kinda like to start fresh with everything but if it can cause a problem, I won't.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just upgrade. You can do some clean up after. If you mess up removing AL9H you can brick so I'd rather not risk it personally.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I’ll probably do that in just worried about not being able to get my purchased games from the Eshop. Hmmm.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh is psx running good also on it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I'm installing a game and also the update to go with it, does it matter the order? Or can I just install the game and have it update through the eShop?

Edit: Yes, I can update through the shop.

New question though; what is a known ban at this point in 3DS? Playing an unreleased game online or cheating? I've turned off all broadcasting stuff.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 21, 2019

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

As long as it didn't crash you should be okay. I'm pretty sure I only got banned because I was using the very first release of retroarch and it crashed multiple times while I was connected to the internet and sending crash reports.

Metal Gear Acid has never worked, unfortunately. I don't know what they did differently with that game but PPSSPP just cannot run it and probably never will since it's not popular enough to bother writing custom code for.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I've got a Wii at home and have a couple questions..

1) I have a set of component cables and one of those cheap Wii2HDMI dongles. The both look equally bad to me. Did the Wii always have soft-looking graphics or is it because we barely got HDTVs back then? I remember playing on a CRT, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised.
2) How is N64 emulation on the Wii? I remember reading about being able to inject whatever N64 rom you wanted as long as you converted it into a channel or whatever. Or does this only work for games that were on the shop?

I recently bought an N64, and debating on going all out and buying an Everdrive and UltraHDMI for it..

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomFerret posted:

As long as it didn't crash you should be okay. I'm pretty sure I only got banned because I was using the very first release of retroarch and it crashed multiple times while I was connected to the internet and sending crash reports.

Metal Gear Acid has never worked, unfortunately. I don't know what they did differently with that game but PPSSPP just cannot run it and probably never will since it's not popular enough to bother writing custom code for.

I’ve had it crash a few times so rip me. Granted I was in airplane mode but oh well. I played gitaroo man lives last night which ran well it seems so it’s worth it.

That’s a shame about MgA. That’s the game I really wanted to play. Guess I need to buy a psp sometime then.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you're still in airplane mode you might be able to get out of that by rebooting in recovery mode and then exiting back out without actually doing anything. I know that erases part of the cache, hopefully it erases the crash logs too

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ll try it out thank you for the help. It’s nice having a actual portable psp emulator now though. Wonder if Vita will ever come or Ps2

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Bank posted:

2) How is N64 emulation on the Wii? I remember reading about being able to inject whatever N64 rom you wanted as long as you converted it into a channel or whatever. Or does this only work for games that were on the shop?
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/VCInjections_Compatiblity_List I haven't gone through the trouble of even installing cIOS to try myself yet but here's a list of what does and doesn't work.

Anybody know if the cIOS installer servers are still up in 2019 or do I need to do the offline cIOS method to get wad installation and Wii ISOs on there?

Beffica fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 21, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^ I don't know what all is still out there, but I was able to do all kinds of updates with my homebrewed Wii as of last year.

Bank posted:

I've got a Wii at home and have a couple questions..

1) I have a set of component cables and one of those cheap Wii2HDMI dongles. The both look equally bad to me. Did the Wii always have soft-looking graphics or is it because we barely got HDTVs back then? I remember playing on a CRT, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

I recently bought an N64, and debating on going all out and buying an Everdrive and UltraHDMI for it..

It only outputs in 480p. It will never look crisp.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm gonna hack my 3DS but first I wanna swap to a bigger microSD. Is it as simple as moving everything from one SD to another in Windows?

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
So just making sure I got this right, if I buy a Switch in the known good serial number ranges, I will be able to hack it regardless of OS version? If so I will try and get a used one for around 200€, many people here just seem to have theirs lying around without playing it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm gonna hack my 3DS but first I wanna swap to a bigger microSD. Is it as simple as moving everything from one SD to another in Windows?

Yes. Just make sure the larger SD card isn't formatted to exFAT.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Neco posted:

So just making sure I got this right, if I buy a Switch in the known good serial number ranges, I will be able to hack it regardless of OS version? If so I will try and get a used one for around 200€, many people here just seem to have theirs lying around without playing it.

Pretty much. The hack allows you to inject code before anything else opens up. I think it was intended for service/factory purposes. I have two in the serial range and don't plan on selling either. They are fantastic retro gaming machines.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RandomFerret posted:

Is this just a thing with Retroarch's fork of PPSSPP? Because I played Acid just fine through vanilla PC PPSSPP.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Not sure, but the ppsspp app on phones and nvidia shield have the same graphical errors at the moment, maybe it's an ARM vs x86 issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3DS has been successfully hacked - is it safe to go online and go to the eShop and whatnot or should I just turn wifi off?