Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I did a bunch of research a few years ago, and everything in the range you're looking at seemed like junk. Go one step up to something like the Haier portable washer. It connects to your kitchen sink faucet to fill, and drains with a hose in the sink. I don't know where you are, but I got mine used on Craigslist for $100. That was years back and I'm still totally in love.

e: mine has a lint-catcher that seems to catch everything. You could fit sheets, probably not an entire sheet set at once, but an individual sheet depending on the size. The trouble is drying sheets/towels -- clothes dry overnight on hangers on the shower rod, sheets not so much.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have one of these. Our apartment inexplicably has 2 bathrooms, so we keep it in the second bathroom tub in case of catastrophic failure. I’m pretty sure our lease prohibits them but whatever. Mine is fine for washing small loads of delicates, wool socks/sweaters, that sort of thing. I wouldn’t attempt sheets or towels, though.
Get one of those metal sleeve things to catch any lint that escapes or you’ll clog the pipes. It is kind of loud and does need to be on a level surface. The spin cycle is surprisingly good-sometimes the undershirts I pull out are dry within an hour.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

California renter here. Today is the third (non-consecutive) day this month my unit has not had hot water. Do I have any way to request a partial refund for the time that they do not provide this portion of the rental agreement?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Just ask for a rent credit. What's the worst that will happen? They'll say no?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

photomikey posted:

I'm sure you know the answer to that is that so much worse can happen.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

photomikey posted:

away with you

Toshimo posted:

I'm sure you know the answer to that is that so much worse can happen.

this is why I am asking here, are there any legal recourse here?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Stupid question, but you did inform your landlord about the problem, correct? Hot water is considered an essential service for a landlord to provide, so if they wait that long (or longer) without contacting you, they are definitely in violation of the lease.

I live in Chicago and am not a lawyer, so you should check with an local attorney before doing anything, but here's what my state says about a landlord providing hot water:

quote:

In those situations where a landlord cuts off heat or hot water, a tenant can obtain heat and water on their own (probably not a realistic possibility in a large rental building) and deduct the cost from the rent.  The tenant can recover damages based on the reduction in the fair rental value of the property.  The tenant can obtain substitute housing and deduct that cost (provided the cost does not exceed the cost of the rental unit) from the rent.  The tenant can, upon proper notice, withhold a portion of the rent.  The tenant can terminate the lease upon written notice if the noncompliance occurs for more than 72 hours.  Those are powerful remedies.  Keep in mind that tenants are also entitled to attorney’s fees and court costs if they have to enforce their CRLTO rights in court.  (Readers should remember that tenant’s seeking to enforce these rights should consult an attorney before taking any action).

Edit: The above applies to any situation where hot water is not provided by a landlord, not just when the water is shut off like the first sentence implies.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 11, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the reply, and yeah, they definitely got a polite voicemail the first day. More recently they left a note on our door on the 8th that the replacement part won't be arriving until tomorrow earliest. Fortunately I have access to a shower at my office but this loving sucks.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions on stretchy cost effective sheets? I've got a purple mattress and want a new set of sheets for the summer. Any brands particularly good approved? Is there a better thread for this question?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Spikes32 posted:

Any suggestions on stretchy cost effective sheets? I've got a purple mattress and want a new set of sheets for the summer. Any brands particularly good approved? Is there a better thread for this question?

Jersey sheets are inexpensive, feel great, and are cool enough for summer. Since jersey is a relatively inexpensive material (same as t-shirts), most brands are pretty good. I've gotten them from Target and Amazon Basics with no problems.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I am moving literally 2 blocks away. The only thing I need help transporting is a mattress. I don't have a vehicle of sufficient size to move the mattress.

What's the fastest cheapest way to find some help there?

MovingHelp.com ?
The Dolly App ?
Craigslist ?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Knock on some doors of your current/upcoming neighbors and offer a case of beer for an hour of their time?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If it's just a vehicle you need, probably get a U-Haul or similar. If you need someone to help in addition to the vehicle, probably a U-Haul and a couple beers for whichever friend you can rope into the job.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Man with a van. There may be fliers around, or you may have luck cruising the Home Depot parking lot.

Tbh to go two blocks, if you really don't need help moving anything else, I would either put a plastic bag on it and carry it with a friend, or swaddle it in an old blanket and walk it alone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

isndl posted:

If it's just a vehicle you need, probably get a U-Haul or similar. If you need someone to help in addition to the vehicle, probably a U-Haul and a couple beers for whichever friend you can rope into the job.

I roped my friend's son into helping me move the big things in his truck, got it all in one run too because I don't have a lot of big things.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
You can also rent pick up trucks at Home Depot for less than a UHaul.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Anne Whateley posted:

Tbh to go two blocks, if you really don't need help moving anything else, I would either put a plastic bag on it and carry it with a friend, or swaddle it in an old blanket and walk it alone.

Same, you could even get one of those furniture dollies for $20. Though it's a tad more difficult to do it by yourself if you got one of those really floppy mattresses that can't even be propped on the wall without falling over. Getting a rental for 2 blocks for one mattress seems like overkill.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Carpet cleaning question:

From what I've read, the rug doctor rentals from home improvement stores aren't really worthwhile and if you need a carpet cleaned it's best to go with a professional using a truck unit. Thing is, I'm in a second story apartment unit with no elevator access. Would they even be able to get to my bedroom, and if they had to use a mobile unit then is it a problem to not have an elevator?

The carpet in question is also about 100 ft² max, with only half of it in bad shape. With this little carpet to clean, is it worthwhile to hire a service or are there any other suggestions?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Teeter posted:

Carpet cleaning question:

From what I've read, the rug doctor rentals from home improvement stores aren't really worthwhile and if you need a carpet cleaned it's best to go with a professional using a truck unit. Thing is, I'm in a second story apartment unit with no elevator access. Would they even be able to get to my bedroom, and if they had to use a mobile unit then is it a problem to not have an elevator?

The carpet in question is also about 100 ft² max, with only half of it in bad shape. With this little carpet to clean, is it worthwhile to hire a service or are there any other suggestions?

I haven't used one myself, but I've seen them either take the hose all the way up the stairs, or go through the balcony or window (my old apartment had units flooding on the 3rd floor all the time)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I had them do the mobile unit thing when I lived on the first floor and they still stick the hose through the window. And the hose is really long so I think being on the second floor isn't a problem.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

vonnegutt posted:

Jersey sheets are inexpensive, feel great, and are cool enough for summer. Since jersey is a relatively inexpensive material (same as t-shirts), most brands are pretty good. I've gotten them from Target and Amazon Basics with no problems.

What are you doing that they don’t immediately become horribly pilled the second you sleep on them for a week or wash them, cuz....

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What are you doing that they don’t immediately become horribly pilled the second you sleep on them for a week or wash them, cuz....

I don't know if it reduces pilling, but I wash everything on cold with a minimal amount of powder detergent (like half of the bottom line on the provided scoop).

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
It's late and I'm grumpy, but help me determine how upset I should be.

I've never lived somewhere with a carbon monoxide alarm (which is super illegal in CA, I found out), so this is my first place with one.

It went off tonight, we evacuated, and had the utility company out, the beeping we had was the "end of life" beeping, not "you're gonna die" beeping. The tech told me CO detectors need to be replaced every 5-7 years. Ours was manufactured in 2011.

Should our complex be keeping track and replacing these? This feels negligent, but also 100% in line with how they operate.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

RabbitMage posted:

It's late and I'm grumpy, but help me determine how upset I should be.

I've never lived somewhere with a carbon monoxide alarm (which is super illegal in CA, I found out), so this is my first place with one.

It went off tonight, we evacuated, and had the utility company out, the beeping we had was the "end of life" beeping, not "you're gonna die" beeping. The tech told me CO detectors need to be replaced every 5-7 years. Ours was manufactured in 2011.

Should our complex be keeping track and replacing these? This feels negligent, but also 100% in line with how they operate.

Should your complex be keeping track of and replacing those? Yes, absolutely. Do you have any way whatsoever to hold them accountable for that? Nope.

:capitalism: :911:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ymmv but I wouldn't be upset.

Normally when the detector's beeping and you take a look, there's a light or something to tell you it's dying, rather than detecting something. Like smoke alarms, there should also be a button you push to be like "okay I got this," or if it's end of life, just jerk the batteries.

The next day, I would just let the super / management company / landlord know that mine died of old age and I needed a new one. They would bring me a new one and that would be it. That would be the intended plan, and imo that would be normal and fine. In most residential settings, it doesn't make sense to replace them all every 5 years when many units could go another 2-3 perfectly fine.

Next time you just know to look at the detector first. The exception would be if it's somewhere inaccessible like a cathedral ceiling or something.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
For the last couple days, our landlord has had a contractor replace the roof on our townhouse complex. Today must have been our day to get work done, because we just got home tonight to find about a dozen places in our living room where nails had been punched through our ceiling.

I just wrote our landlord's office to complain and attached pictures like this, but what should my next steps be?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farchanter posted:

For the last couple days, our landlord has had a contractor replace the roof on our townhouse complex. Today must have been our day to get work done, because we just got home tonight to find about a dozen places in our living room where nails had been punched through our ceiling.

I just wrote our landlord's office to complain and attached pictures like this, but what should my next steps be?

Those don't look like nails being punched through the ceiling, because it looks like the head of a nail.

Nails work themselves out over time, and it seems like the vibration of the roof work has caused them to work their way through the finish of your ceiling.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Farchanter posted:

Next steps, wait for the landlord's office to respond.

If the damage went through the roof they will fix most of it from the outside. The cosmetic damage from the inside is just drywall patching, it's relatively simple.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Moved to a new apartment recently after dumping 75% of my furnishings, couches and similar included. I'd like something for slobbing out in front of the bigscreen, but a couch or even a recliner isn't really a fit aesthetically or physically for the room in a place where it'd be useful.

I'm thinking bean bag or bean bag chair, then. My question is, are there any makers (or even just materials) that could resist the likely clawing from my two cats?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone at all familiar with "eco friendly carpets"? We need to recarpet a house and the missus is 100% committed to "eco carpet with no dye or checmicals" which as far as I can tell means it costs more, looks and feels like poo poo, and has no stain protection qualities.

We have 3 cats and want a baby so it'd suck loving rear end for us. Maybe we should just do hardwoods

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyone at all familiar with "eco friendly carpets"? We need to recarpet a house and the missus is 100% committed to "eco carpet with no dye or checmicals" which as far as I can tell means it costs more, looks and feels like poo poo, and has no stain protection qualities.

We have 3 cats and want a baby so it'd suck loving rear end for us. Maybe we should just do hardwoods

Wood/FauxWood flooring and large cheap rugs are the way to go with babies. They cause a lot of damage. Also for babies, you can buy playmats or blankets with grippy bottoms for play areas.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As someone with cats and (former) babies, wood or something similar is definitely the way to go. Babies are top-tier mess makers, that carpet is going to be shot in no time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone have good or bad experiences with bamboo? Turns out we're concerned about 'toxins' in hardwood floors so this is my last option before killing myself

TIA

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't know why bamboo would be healthier than hardwood. There's definitely things you can do to get hardwood without formaldehyde, here's Consumer Reports. If she's talking about something else she may be having issues existing in the world

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well she's a woman in Donald Trump's America so she is most definitely having issues existing in the world.

Thanks for the link! I'm going to swipe a buddy's consumer reports login and check it out.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Bamboo floors rule. They are practical, attractive, and reasonable eco friendly relative to other options.

Q: Is there a secret goon-approved resource for finding dope deals for furniture? Basically I need to find a long chair / lounge chair, but I’m always scouting for other goods as well.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I feel like they're expecting me to think this is GOOD?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Look, you haven't really known joy until you have stepped out of bed onto the beautiful, soft, and natural surface of roiling moth larvae.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah this is the poo poo the lady is insisting on and saying she literally won't live in the house unless that's the carpet

Sorta... wanting to call her bluff on this one. I don't want to die in a housefire, step on moth larvae, or have $16,000 of carpet instantly ruined by 3 cats and two sweaty humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just put down a layer of all-natural straw on the subfloor and call it a day.