Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Sunswipe posted:

Sorry I don't like your Deep Space 9 ripoff, buddy. :shrug:

It's not some deep space franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P011OQbOYd8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sunswipe posted:

Sorry I don't like your Deep Space 9 ripoff, buddy. :shrug:

You're on the internet, with all the world's information at your fingertips, so you have zero excuse to be this ignorant.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nnnnnnnnneeeerrrrrrddddddd fiiiiiiiiiiigghhhhhtttttt

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
It's the Firefly of the 90's in that only a tiny segment of fans think about it at all and everybody else moved on decades ago.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How is that any different from any other series from the 90s or before

After too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know it's a trap but let me just say, as someone who really loves Deep Space 9, it was a ripoff of Babylon 5 and isn't as good. Both great though.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I still think about Space: Above and Beyond and that lovely Canadian production with a computer named Caravaggio.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just lol if you don’t watch your complete series vhs of Space Rangers at least once a year.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BgRdMchne posted:

I still think about Space: Above and Beyond

:same:

but i haven't seen it in like 20 years...so i have no idea how many of my memories are genuine or how much of it is just random bits of exosquad spliced in over the years

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hard counter posted:

:same:

but i haven't seen it in like 20 years...so i have no idea how many of my memories are genuine or how much of it is just random bits of exosquad spliced in over the years

I only remember the scene where one guy was imitating their flight instructor, "We're going to utilise this wrench and fix this leaking sink"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Samuringa posted:

How is that any different from any other series from the 90s or before

After too.

Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy, X-FIles...

It was a niche nerd product even more so than most. Like Firefly. Outdated and irrelevant within a year or two after it aired except for fans who never fail to bring it up at any chance they can for no reason whatsoever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This guy sounds similar to Michael Douglas to me

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

This guy sounds similar to Michael Douglas to me

It's his brother.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I only remember the scene where one guy was imitating their flight instructor, "We're going to utilise this wrench and fix this leaking sink"

There's also the episode "Who Monitors the Birds", but it's not exactly quotable because it's memorable for containing almost no dialogue.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lexx is the best in lovely weirdo Sci Fi TV series from the 90s(?)

I haven't seen it in years, so I dunno how well it holds up.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

I watched the first season this weekend and it is still as weird but fun as ever. So tremendously bleak and dark though.
The kind of lives most people in that existence have is still haunting 20 years later! That first season also had some super great casting too!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

I mean it depends on why you are watching

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I watched the first season this weekend and it is still as weird but fun as ever. So tremendously bleak and dark though.
The kind of lives most people in that existence have is still haunting 20 years later! That first season also had some super great casting too!

Lexx is so weird because it combines both the best parts of really bad sci fi and the best parts of really good sci fi. I don't think I've ever seen a show be so consistently weird and good but also weird and bad. Yeah a lot of the places they go and the world they live in is pretty bleak but, well, reality is a pretty nasty place and you just kind of have to do the best you can in it. A lot of the show was really just the characters trying to make the best of the situations they found themselves in. I think that's part of why it worked; Stanley in particular was more or less a normal dude thrown into a crazy situation that he actually didn't want anything at all to do with.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy, X-FIles...

It was a niche nerd product even more so than most. Like Firefly. Outdated and irrelevant within a year or two after it aired except for fans who never fail to bring it up at any chance they can for no reason whatsoever.

I had a roommate who was a hardcore libertarian and was obsessed with Firedly. His go to presents for birthdays and Christmas were the entire series of it and a Stefan Molyneux book

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's been a while since I've seen Lexx, and I didn't see most of it, so how much was actually good commentary, and how much was on the level of a song about murdering Barney and also Barney FUCKS?

I have a feeling that the last season that took place in late Clinton/early Bush America aged uncomfortably well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of that era, The American President with Michael Douglas comes off really poorly these days. The usual 90s romcom tropes that already don't look great in the MeToo era look waaaay worse when the overly-persistent guy is the loving president, and the window-dressing that makes stuff like bombing Libya and dealing with climate change nothing more than interchangeable policy wonk issues with no repercussions does not work in 2019 when those exact issues are on a lot of people's minds in a huge way.

Oh yeah and the good-guy president's pet issue is crime control.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dr Christmas posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Lexx, and I didn't see most of it, so how much was actually good commentary, and how much was on the level of a song about murdering Barney and also Barney FUCKS?

S1 (the miniseries) was great. S2 was a bit hit-miss but had its moments. S3 is crap with just enough mediocre bits to make you think it might get better but it never does. S4 is the biggest pile of dogshit ever broadcast on TV.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I had a roommate who was a hardcore libertarian and was obsessed with Firedly. His go to presents for birthdays and Christmas were the entire series of it and a Stefan Molyneux book

I hope you did the world a favor and strangled this person in their sleep.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Or make a tent over their head and Dutch oven them with helium. Or nitrogen if you're cost conscious.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why multiples of it? One DVD, one Blu-Ray upgrade and then you’re done.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Me, after catching up on this thread: "I wonder if that weird Nickelodeon ripoff of Star Trek Voyager has aged well or not? Let's look up the intro..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqVIB556rHk

Me, after watching that video: "Yeah I don't think s-WAIT IS THE BLACK POWER RANGER?!"

I must have been a dumbass as a kid to not recognize him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

Me, after watching that video: "Yeah I don't think s-WAIT IS THE BLACK POWER RANGER?!"

I must have been a dumbass as a kid to not recognize him.
I feel like my age group was all a-ga-ga over:
Winnie Cooper
Topanga
Pink Ranger Kimberly

and those that had Cable also remember
Alex Mack
Catalina from Space Cases (And then Suzie in S2)

But yes, 99% of the initial draw from Space Cases was OMG ZACH ATTACK IS BACK.
Always kind of hated the show never got a conclusion. It was like middle-school Farscape, before Farscape was a thing. And I'll forever hate myself for not saving this dumb digital trading card I got off of AOL keyword Nick of Catalina and Suzy

And since I mentioned Farscape I really, really used to love catching it and talking about it with the one or two people that were sci-fi nerdy in my school. I was just so grateful it wasn't a Star Trek retread and that they tried to make everything different and actually had world-building. They were great at being just weird enough to feel creative, like Zahn's photogasm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sweevo posted:

S1 (the miniseries) was great. S2 was a bit hit-miss but had its moments. S3 is crap with just enough mediocre bits to make you think it might get better but it never does. S4 is the biggest pile of dogshit ever broadcast on TV.

It shouldn't be possible to be this wrong. I mean, you're right about seasons one and two but season three is great and season four is even better.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

lexx is pretty good but also so drat weird that i have absolutely no read on what kind of person i could/should recommend it to

whenever i think someone might enjoy it i'm usually wrong ... ao nowadays i sound like i'm reading off a long list of possible drug side effects as i go through all the caveats that along with my lexx recommendation

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of Babylon 5, I was more surprised that Space Cases was created by Bill Mumy and comics writer Peter A David.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I remember two things about space cases: the phrase "SPUNG KILL-CRUISER" and someone picking up a gun and saying "this gun's got no fight left in it" like it was just really depressed and not out of ammo or whatever.

Speaking of wierd 90s YA sci-fi I bet ocean girl and the tomorrow people look like hot garbage now. Spellbinder is probably fine. It had a Street Fighter movie M. Bison boss fight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Babylon 5, I was more surprised that Space Cases was created by Bill Mumy and comics writer Peter A David.

Peter David also wrote for Babylon 5, it's where he met Mumy I think. He did two episodes in S2, including the one with the B5 gift shop where Sheridan ejects a teddy bear into space at the end of the episode. The same teddy bear later appeared in Space Cases, and one of the cast asked what kind of dope would eject a perfectly good teddy bear into space. (The answer is "J Michael Straczynski" - JMS hates cutesy stuffed toys with a vengeance, and he wrote the ejection scene himself.)

I never watched Space Cases as it was a bit young for me, but it was apparently littered with easter eggs for the adults. The Spung Kill-Cruiser is of course a reference to Heinlein's Number of the Beast.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 08:30 on May 22, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Why multiples of it? One DVD, one Blu-Ray upgrade and then you’re done.

I mean what he would get for other people for their christmases and birthdays. He was always confused when people weren’t immediately whisked away to John Galt dreamworld by them like I guess he was

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All I remember about Space Case is the girl with colorful hair is the same actress who played the engineer on Firefly. From one short live sci-fi show to another.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jedit posted:

Peter David also wrote for Babylon 5, it's where he met Mumy I think.

They may have met earlier, through comics: David was working at Marvel at the same time that Bill Mumy and Miguel Ferrer, of all people, wrote the surprisingly good Comet Man mini-series (1987).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

I never watched Space Cases as it was a bit young for me, but it was apparently littered with easter eggs for the adults. The Spung Kill-Cruiser is of course a reference to Heinlein's Number of the Beast.

Still one of the worst books I have ever read.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean what he would get for other people for their christmases and birthdays. He was always confused when people weren’t immediately whisked away to John Galt dreamworld by them like I guess he was

That makes sense.

That sounds exactly what a terrible nerd would do. “I will give them something I love and hope they love it” instead of “what does that person actually want”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Firefly is instructive insofar as it reveals Whedon’s utterly selfish, hollow core despite his insistent belief that he is some kind of means-testing liberal. Just like he’s a sex monster who genuinely believes he’s a feminist.

Although maybe all third-way liberals are amoral, greedy hedonists?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Firefly is instructive insofar as it reveals Whedon’s utterly selfish, hollow core despite his insistent belief that he is some kind of means-testing liberal. Just like he’s a sex monster who genuinely believes he’s a feminist.

Although maybe all third-way liberals are amoral, greedy hedonists?

When your entire political framework ultimately boils down to performative actions and feel-good platitudes with no real substance, it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Firefly on Blu Ray is I think down to $10 at Walmart. Every time I see it I think, "maybe I should upgrade," then I buy some ice cream instead.