Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oneiros posted:

my favorite experience with this was when i caught one of our hr peeps posting the internal job listing in the break room/kitchen. behind the refrigerator.
this is crazy to me, if you're gonna go this far anyway Just Lie Instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

on one hand i appreciate them telling me up front that i shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but on the other hand lmao at "hey want to help us do crimes"

Stern reminder that this company is willingly depriving you, the native, of what could otherwise be a lucrative opportunity, but also possibly depriving a truly high skilled foreigner of a chance to work in the most advanced tech sector on the planet, just so they can hire some bargain basement peasant who is friends with the company. Do not have even the smallest modicum of sympathy for these bastards.

qhat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 22, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's the implied order of worthiness here? Citizens of USA, skilled foreigners, unskilled people?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I just see it as if you're not exceptional (to me this is well over six figures), native citizens should always take strong precedence over you in skills based immigration. Unskilled should not be eligible for anything other than strictly temporary or family based immigration.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
gently caress that open the borders

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fiedler posted:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It sounds radical but the emancipation of the serfs probably sounded radical at the time as well.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Opening the borders is a great idea if you're not in a profession that has actual real global competition.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:thunk:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

qhat posted:

I just see it as if you're not exceptional (to me this is well over six figures), native citizens should always take strong precedence over you in skills based immigration. Unskilled should not be eligible for anything other than strictly temporary or family based immigration.

economic migrants are bad except when they are me, literally.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

qhat posted:

Opening the borders is a great idea if you're not in a profession that has actual real global competition.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Also if you're so bad at your job that you need to stop other people being able to apply for it then you probably don't deserve it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Or companies use it as an excuse to get indentured servants for a few years, instead of paying both kinds of people the going rate.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Or companies use it as an excuse to get indentured servants for a few years, instead of paying both kinds of people the going rate.

Absolutely. In the UK companies can sponsor someone's visa but they lose their job they lose their visa....so you can treat them like poo poo what they going to do get deported?

We're not large enough a company to do visa sponsorship either so it's a nice competitive edge for our larger competition.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

on one hand i appreciate them telling me up front that i shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but on the other hand lmao at "hey want to help us do crimes"

They don't want you to help them do crimes. They want nobody at all to apply; actually having to interview you would be a waste of time for them too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

qhat posted:

Strong avatar post combo.

Shut the gently caress up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

feedmegin posted:

They don't want you to help them do crimes. They want nobody at all to apply; actually having to interview you would be a waste of time for them too.

And this is why they never tell you why they said thanks but no thanks. They don't want to open themselves up to a lawsuit or legal trouble.

It's entirely possible that that internal posting that guy found was meant for a W-2 contract going to full time employment. That's what happened for me at a prior job I was a contractor for.

iospace fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 22, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:siren: pull up, thread :siren:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

:siren: pull up, thread :siren:

nah just ban qhat and call it a day

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Aramoro posted:

Also if you're so bad at your job that you need to stop other people being able to apply for it then you probably don't deserve it.

Actually I never proposed that. In fact, I said the exact opposite. If you're in a high skill profession, absolutely your job should be open to competition from around the globe, and absolutely you should be allowed to freely compete for jobs globally. That's exactly what skills based immigration is? It's easy to argue for open borders when your job is not the one that needs insulation from a large global movement of labor.

I'm not arguing against that some countries currently do it badly, but to argue for no controls on immigration ever is pretty disingenuous, especially considering virtually every country on the planet has at least some.

qhat fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 22, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

qhat posted:

Actually I never proposed that. In fact, I said the exact opposite. If you're in a high skill profession, absolutely your job should be open to competition from around the globe, and absolutely you should be allowed to freely compete for jobs globally. That's exactly what skills based immigration is? It's easy to argue for open borders when your job is not the one that needs insulation from a large global movement of labor. I'm not arguing against that some countries currently do it badly, but to argue for no controls on immigration ever is pretty disingenuous, especially considering virtually every country on the planet has at least some.

Hilarious. Well done.

Here's the thing: the unskilled labor you and the rest of the right crow about? They're doing the jobs that you feel you're above because you make all the figgies. Shut up.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

iospace posted:

Hilarious. Well done.

Here's the thing: the unskilled labor you and the rest of the right crow about? They're doing the jobs that you feel you're above because you make all the figgies. Shut up.

What are you talking about? What does immigration have to do with the right? Are you suggesting that countries that are verifiably left are somehow more likely to have open borders policies than countries on the right? Hint: they aren't.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

qhat posted:

Actually I never proposed that. In fact, I said the exact opposite. If you're in a high skill profession, absolutely your job should be open to competition from around the globe, and absolutely you should be allowed to freely compete for jobs globally. That's exactly what skills based immigration is? It's easy to argue for open borders when your job is not the one that needs insulation from a large global movement of labor.

I'm not arguing against that some countries currently do it badly, but to argue for no controls on immigration ever is pretty disingenuous, especially considering virtually every country on the planet has at least some.

let's develop this, qhat

why does software development, as you imply, "need insulation from a large global movement of labor"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

let's develop this, qhat

why does software development, as you imply, "need insulation from a large global movement of labor"

Can you quote me where I "implied" that? It doesn't, software developers make extremely large amounts of money in the USA relative to other countries. Do I care that jobs in my industry are, in general, widely open to people from other countries? Not at all. But I'm also not arrogant enough to suggest that what the taxi industry in the states could really use is yet more labor competition from around the globe through an open borders immigration policy.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eliminate borders

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

make country borders follow in the footsteps of bookstore borders

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

Can you quote me where I "implied" that? It doesn't, software developers make extremely large amounts of money in the USA relative to other countries. Do I care that jobs in my industry are, in general, widely open to people from other countries? Not at all. But I'm also not arrogant enough to suggest that what the taxi industry in the states could really use is yet more labor competition from around the globe through an open borders immigration policy.

ah, the fishmech maneuver

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

qhat posted:

We are all in a profession with real actual global competition. It still sounds like a great idea.

Your posting is making little sense here, programming is one of the most globally transferable skills there are, so one presumably you believe that natives as you call them should get preference over immigrants.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 22, 2019

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
(in 'just fell into way more figgies' voice) people can do whatever the heck they want. marry a horse. just don't increase my dang taxes

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody posted:

closed permanently?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flat Daddy posted:

closed permanently?

Non-existent.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Aramoro posted:

We are all in a profession with real actual global competition. It still sounds like a great idea.

Even here in Canada where immigration policy is pretty tightly hewed to a points based system, the salaries for software developers are pretty insanely high for the average person. That is largely because it's difficult to find good software engineers even here in a place where a software developer can get PR without even setting foot in the country. That global competition in software is really not that strong.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
just to make sure i've got this right you think lax immigration is bad for the poor?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

qhat posted:

less implied and more "explicitly stated" i suppose, but sure

qhat posted:

qhat i appreciate some of your advice ITT but you're not even good at fishmeching

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

less implied and more "explicitly stated" i suppose, but sure

qhat i appreciate some of your advice ITT but you're not even good at fishmeching

Maybe I miscommunicated that, I was actually implying that software devs are a part of the "well over six figures" group, which in the states they are.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qhat posted:

But I'm also not arrogant enough to suggest that what the taxi industry in the states could really use is yet more labor competition from around the globe through an open borders immigration policy.

the solution to excess labor in a labor market is not "have the government build a big loving wall to keep some laborers out of the market." this isn't the 1800s - there are other, better forms of government intervention in the market available to us these days.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

and one clarification: actual immigration laws are not now and have never been motivated by the plight of the unskilled laborer.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fiedler posted:

and one clarification: actual immigration laws are not now and have never been motivated by the plight of the unskilled laborer.

If they were they would let unskilled labourers move to high income countries.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Looking at moving to the nearest-largest job market (Chicago).

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bloody posted:

'superceded by amazon'?