Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It's bullshit that Christopher Lee didn't reprise his role as Dracula and instead I think did Jess Franco's Dracula. It' the only criticism that I have against Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires , well that and of course you have to watch the actual NON AMERICAN release of the film since the American version is so butchered.

Like even if it was not a amazing film everyone should watch it because it is a Hammer and Shaw brothers co production and for that matter alone I feel is a super cool and important film in horror film history. It's just cool as hell. Its Peter Cushing as Van Helsing in a kung fu film. Like what the gently caress.

That's not even getting on the incredible fight choreography. Like its seriously balls out fantastic. It just incredible.

Fun fact that a lot of people don't know Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires was not only co produced but co directed. The problem was that Shaw and Hammer felt having a singular ( better known English) director Roy Ward Baker would be better than having a "codirected credit" for marketing purposes but a majority of it was directed by Chang Cheh who was a well known director for Chinese films. Like all of the fights were directed by him.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Just watched Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith and was blown away by it. It's on Netflix, did I miss a big discussion about this when it came out?

I watched it back during the October challenge and wondered the same thing. I liked it but I thought it was maybe too imitative of Del Toro.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

married but discreet posted:

I can vouch for Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, shits dope

It's my top favorite martial arts horror. I just didn't think it for jiangshi.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where could you track down the Chinese version of film? I've only seen the English cut

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I saw John Wick 3 tonight and they had the trailer for that Internet of Things Child's Play movie. I don't even know anymore. I think the only way it could be good is if literally everything in the trailer is like just the first half hour of the movie and the remainder is basically Maximum Overdrive but with a bigger budget and tons of gore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Franchescanado posted:

Who’s gonna see Ma?

I'm pretty stoked on it, the idea is so fresh but I can see it lovely the bed and not being that good. I'm hoping for good things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw John Wick 3 tonight and they had the trailer for that Internet of Things Child's Play movie. I don't even know anymore. I think the only way it could be good is if literally everything in the trailer is like just the first half hour of the movie and the remainder is basically Maximum Overdrive but with a bigger budget and tons of gore.

You want not-chucky to circle a gas station for an hour?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Burkion posted:

Where could you track down the Chinese version of film? I've only seen the English cut

Most of the DVD releases now are the Chinese version the big difference between them is run time and nudity. Alon with some additional gore. Hammers version they released is the uncut. You can still though accidentally get the American version though. Really just look at the run time.

There are though some cheap edited versions floating around.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You want not-chucky to circle a gas station for an hour?

A massive Chucky head on the front of a rig running people down over and over again and they keep shooting it/otherwise attacking it but it just reforms from whatever junk is around like in Christine. :hellyeah:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's still hilarious to me that they literally took every single thing that made Child's Play interesting and good and excised it for the remake.

Get ready for my upcoming PG-13, no mention of sex remake of Hellraiser coming to a theater near you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Most of the DVD releases now are the Chinese version the big difference between them is run time and nudity. Alon with some additional gore. Hammers version they released is the uncut. You can still though accidentally get the American version though. Really just look at the run time.

There are though some cheap edited versions floating around.

Also IIRC the cut version is often titled "The 7 Brothers Meet Dracula" so stay away from that one.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Coming Soon......

You thought it was safe to go back to camp? This summer.....it's about to get.....bloody scary

Russel Brand IS Jason Voorhees

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Who’s gonna see Ma?

I will, it doesn’t look great and the trailer basically gave away the whole movie but Octavia Spencer has the chops for horror (it’s obviously beneath her talents, but I love her brief cameo in Rob Zombie’s Halloween II)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Franchescanado posted:

Who’s gonna see Ma?

The trailer makes it look like it will be ridiculous and fun. I am excited.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u51qgNCyPAE

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will, it doesn’t look great and the trailer basically gave away the whole movie

Yeah seriously. I felt like I had already watched the movie by the end of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah seriously. I felt like I had already watched the movie by the end of it.

The sense I'm getting though from the trailer is that it's one of those things where we as the audience are always shown what she's up to but the other characters are a few steps behind. So like, it's not gonna be a situation where you're supposed to think she's normal for half the movie and the the twist is she's crazy, it's just that the other characters will not realize it, thus creating the tension.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Joe Bob greenlit for a season 2 :toot:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Get ready for my upcoming PG-13, no mention of sex remake of Hellraiser coming to a theater near you.

I'd be curious to see how something like this would be.

COOL CORN posted:

Joe Bob greenlit for a season 2 :toot:

That was pretty much a given. I was thinking the only reason they were doing this as seasons was to test the server robustness after how hammered they were during his holiday shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Demon Wind good? I see Joe Bob did an episode for it and I'm considering including that in my May challenge.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Is Demon Wind good? I see Joe Bob did an episode for it and I'm considering including that in my May challenge.

No but it made me laugh.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just started up a 30 day Hulu trial. Any recs for good Hulu-exclusive horror movies?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

I just started up a 30 day Hulu trial. Any recs for good Hulu-exclusive horror movies?

Mom and Dad and Baskin jump out at me right away.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Ghost Stories.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I just watched the movie Vampires by John Carpenter. What the gently caress is this movie? I've only seen The Thing and Vampires from him but did that dude just fall off super hard? I still liked it but the tone was so different and even though it came out like a decade+ later The Thing was still more impressive visually.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

The Huluween shorts aren't bad and a quick watch. The Into The Dark series is a bit of a mixed bag.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ulio posted:

So I just watched the movie Vampires by John Carpenter. What the gently caress is this movie? I've only seen The Thing and Vampires from him but did that dude just fall off super hard? I still liked it but the tone was so different and even though it came out like a decade+ later The Thing was still more impressive visually.

You started with one of the best movies ever made and went on to his last film before a total burnout.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So the newest episode confirmed it.

HBO's Chernobyl is by far the most horrifying TV series of the decade so far. Holy gently caress.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Ulio posted:

did that dude just fall off super hard?

Yup. Carpenter's output in the 80's was among the best of any director in that decade, genre or not, but Vampires is maybe his second best of the 90's, he actually made a bunch of others that are worse. It's worth going back and watching everything up to They Live, and then In the Mouth of Madness.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

HBO's Chernobyl is by far the most horrifying TV series of the decade so far. Holy gently caress.

is it on some stalker poo poo?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah. Carpenter can be forgiven a bunch of lovely films because, well, he made Halloween, The Thing, In The Mouth of Madness, Escape From New York, Big Trouble In Little China, The Fog, They Live, among others.

Did YOU make those movies? I didn't think so!

poo poo, I haven't even seen Starman yet, and I'll bet a lot of you haven't seen Dark Star either.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pomp posted:

is it on some stalker poo poo?

you remember the ghouls from fallout? well...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For many directors something like Christine, Starman, The Fog, Prince of Darkness, or In the Mouth of Madness would be their crowning achievement. For Carpenter those are some of his most underrated and often forgotten films.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Starman is one of Carpenters best films and just really a fantastic film. It would have been cool to see Carpenter make the jump into normal "mainstream" films that were PG etc.. Like most of the time you'd think you were watching a Spielberg film.

Starman is one of his best really.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's incredibly good, depressing as gently caress though. I do recommend the supplementary podcast with the director since he does go into much more detail.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I was about to say Starman is one of his best films but I see I've been beaten to the punch.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ulio posted:

It's a Lucas thing. His wife was a huge influence and he fell off after splitting.

Edit: wives

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 23, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Watch both seasons of the Exorcist series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uh its not a wife thing for Carpenter since he's been married to the same woman since 1990 and she was the script supervisor on Starman.

The issue with almost all of those films are big promises made initially to Carpenter in regards to budget etc.. and then dawning realization that those promises are not going to be met especially on things like Ghost of Mars. Then after than Carpenter jut really was more interested in music , smoking weed, and playing video games.

Vampires is a very very 1990s film. Also, Village of the Damned is good and probably the last really amazing performance we have from Christopher Reeves who is excellent in that film.

I think it was a lot of things but most of it was Carpenter had these huge plans and movies set out and just not the backing to do them.

Just read up on the making of Ghost of Mars.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does The Exorcist show have a conclusion or did they just cancel it and leave it hanging? I'm interested but I don't want to get into it if it doesn't have a conclusion.