Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Max Wilco posted:

What other criticisms were there?

I’ve been playing through it for the past few weeks since it’s been in my Steam library for years but I’ve never played it past level 15 or so. So far it seems like an OK-ish shooter. The “Bajillions of Guns!” thing is kinda neat, but I’m finding that I hate most of the random combinations. I don’t know why I keep getting scopes on shotguns but they keep coming. I sorta like Handsome Jack as a villain, or at least I did at first, but all my allies only value life marginally more than Jack does so it kinda makes him less a taunting villain and more “Another jaggoff swearing in my radio.”

It’s kinda weird. I don’t hate the story or anything, but it feels like someone wanted to write a story where the “Murderhobo” thing is taken seriously, but not too seriously, and it’s not working that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Congrats. Zack Snyder is your typical Hollywood liberal. There's a thread for discussion about the guy and if you don't want to go there to discuss him and his works then perhaps don't?

CYBEReris posted:

one of the show's biggest shortcomings is that it has an extremely poor understanding of the politics behind those villains, most pronounced with anarchism. the end result is a centrist narrative that values preservation of the status quo and blanket villifies radical action that threatens this status quo. of all the ideologies on display, it's the hyper-capitalist who gets the distinction of being friendly and endearing to the Avatar.

That's what always bothered me. Season 1 had this too where it tied the plight of non-benders to the villain. Once Amon was defeated, the problem was solved. Non-benders got ????????????????? once it was all over. It never really tackled some things that it sets up which was extremely disappointing and like you said, hyper-capitalists end up being heroes and the status quo goes unchallenged.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Zack Snyder’s best movie was the first one he made and never did a good film after that. No cap

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
On a separate note:

Noah Caldwell Gervais might just be my favorite person on Youtube.

I like how his zero-frills presentation is used to frame his long, relaxing, almost college lecture-style lookbacks at older game franchises. There's something about how he not only thoroughly researches these old titles but how he mixes it with his own personal views. For instance, he recently reviewed the original Warcraft and Warcraft 2 games, since they just came out on GoG, and as much as he was happy to return to two cornerstones of the real-time strategy genre and the first brick of what would be the monolith of Blizzard, he added that the original Warcraft can be tedious and that Warcraft 2 (especially its expansion) can be insanely challenging.

There's also an easy, laid back patience to his videos. It may come off to some as unprofessional, but I find it refreshing when he takes a breath, fumbles and retakes a line or word, or awkwardly make a cut somewhere. Compared to the Youtube-scape of today, his videos are not well produced. But I think that's because his emphasis is on the writing of his retrospectives, which adds a dare I say, folksy (?) charm. I'm sure there's a lot of you out there that have recommendations for some of his retrospectives. But I'd like to personally recommend his road trip travelogues. They're some of the most chilled out videos I've ever seen.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean, googling aside I'm not going to argue either way on whether it's easy to confuse their names or not, but ending this on a "lol u mad" after being super wrong on a sensitive issue is pretty tacky.

You do realize most people don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of internet celebrity sex pests, right? if you assume a person doesn't know who Zac S is, it's actually pretty normal to assume he's talking about Snyder when we're in the middle of a conversation about said person, instead of assuming there's an entirely different Zac S that is a rapist sex pest, cause that's a heck of a coincidence, and it's not like his post had contextual clues either. Like yeah it was a mistake on my part but maybe if he wasn't being needlessly antagonistic over a understandable mix-up I wouldn't have been so snarky.

In conclusion posting is a land of contrasts

McCloud fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 22, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

You do realize most people don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of internet celebrity sex pests, right? if you assume a person doesn't know who Zac S is, it's actually pretty normal to assume he's talking about Snyder when we're in the middle of a conversation about said person, instead of assuming there's an entirely different Zac S that is a rapist sex pest, cause that's a heck of a coincidence, and it's not like his post had contextual clues either. Like yeah it was a mistake on my part but maybe if he wasn't being needlessly antagonistic with a over a understandable mix-up I wouldn't have been so snarky.

Maybe that's why you should read the post before commenting on how it's wrong sight unseen because you think it trashes a dude you like

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

You do realize most people don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of internet celebrity sex pests, right? if you assume a person doesn't know who Zac S is, it's actually pretty normal to assume he's talking about Snyder when we're in the middle of a conversation about said person, instead of assuming there's an entirely different Zac S that is a rapist sex pest, cause that's a heck of a coincidence, and it's not like his post had contextual clues either. Like yeah it was a mistake on my part but maybe if he wasn't being needlessly antagonistic over a understandable mix-up I wouldn't have been so snarky.

You are an incredibly stupid motherfucker and I'm going to break your bones very quickly with judo throws and holds, and the more you try to make it look like you're sarcastic and above it all with the "get yourself a juicebox" and the last line of this post just make you look like an even bigger dipshit

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 22, 2019

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Alaois posted:

it may also go a bit into why I'm maybe a bit upset that people completely glossed over my effort post about the guy but gently caress me i guess

I would also like to add that I appreciated this post. I'm guessing there weren't many replies because there's not much humor to dig from it, and every rear end in a top hat here has gotta have a joke as a reply (unless it's personal for them).

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
somethingawful.com is no place for jokes

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I used to watch the show he was in on escapist and was sad to learn those details but I didn't post anything because I didn't feel it would add anything to the conversation.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Maybe that's why you should read the post before commenting on how it's wrong sight unseen because you think it trashes a dude you like

Maybe you should butt out, buttface :mad:

Alaois posted:

You are an incredibly stupid motherfucker and I'm going to break your bones very quickly with judo throws and holds, and the more you try to make it look like you're sarcastic and above it all with the "get yourself a juicebox" and the last line of this post just make you look like an even bigger dipshit

This is a completely normal response. Yikes

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 22, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah poo poo i screwed up the wording

whatever.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

If you're going to post

McCloud posted:

Also while i haven't read your effort post I feel comfortable saying you're wrong

with such conviction then I guess brace for blowback about being wrong on something because you didn't want to bother clicking the ? under another poster's name.

And you're still getting details wrong when you're calling him a "sex pest" because that's not the kind of abuse he does at all. And you're spelling his name wrong.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alois calm the gently caress down and stop taking it personally if people don't read your effortposts. I don't read half the poo poo in this thread because I tend to gloss over when slap fight happen, it's not a personal slight against you.
I try to find new videos to post to head off the derailments and let other topics come up so people who don't want to partake in the latest thread dust up can have something to talk about. Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH9FxtuyCsE

But I don't lose my mind if people pass me over and don't recognize the effort I put into my work. I just go along and talk about what I want to until I find a new video. What is the point of getting mad? It's too much effort to keep seething like that.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 22, 2019

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Alois calm the gently caress down and stop taking it personally if people don't read your effortposts.
I think it's less that McCloud didn't read it and more that McCloud directly asked them about it and then immediately dismissed it because they thought it was about a completely different person.

FWIW Alaois I read and appreciated your Zak S post because I haven't kept up on that whole situation since I stopped lurking the Trad games forum well over a year ago.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 22, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

also who cares if he said Rand was nuts, The Fountainhead was just as political as Atlas, all he's doing is admitting he's genuinely so stupid he read a giant political rant book and only got 'oooh...ARCHITECTURE....' out of it.

Which, like, yea I believe it.

Well Snyder is stupid as gently caress, also she didn’t hate Reagan for nationalism at least solely. she hated him because she hated evangelicals and the religious right. I read a lot about her during my high school libertarian phase.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Alois calm the gently caress down and stop taking it personally if people don't read your effortposts. I don't read half the poo poo in this thread because I tend to gloss over when slap fight happen, it's not a personal slight against you.
I try to find new videos to post to head off the derailments and let other topics come up so people who don't want to partake in the latest thread dust up can have something to talk about. Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH9FxtuyCsE

But I don't lose my mind if people pass me over and don't recognize the effort I put into my work. I just go along and talk about what I want to until I find a new video. What is the point of getting mad? It's too much effort to keep seething like that.

I'm not actually mad at everyone in the thread for not responding to that post, and that first post was more of a joke about it being passed over so why try, but McCloud is such a loving loser who earnestly dug in at my attempt at goofing on hbomb and then proceeded to double down on being an rear end in a top hat after asking what my post was about and then completely misunderstanding it when i told him that i actually did get angry but at him specifically.

Vonnie posted:

I think it's less that McCloud didn't read it and more that McCloud directly asked them about it and then immediately dismissed it because they thought it was about a completely different person.

FWIW Alaois I read and appreciated your Zak S post because I haven't kept up on that whole situation since I stopped lurking the Trad games forum well over a year ago.

thanks, to you and the other people who said they were informed by my post.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am tim! posted:

I’ve been playing through it for the past few weeks since it’s been in my Steam library for years but I’ve never played it past level 15 or so. So far it seems like an OK-ish shooter. The “Bajillions of Guns!” thing is kinda neat, but I’m finding that I hate most of the random combinations. I don’t know why I keep getting scopes on shotguns but they keep coming. I sorta like Handsome Jack as a villain, or at least I did at first, but all my allies only value life marginally more than Jack does so it kinda makes him less a taunting villain and more “Another jaggoff swearing in my radio.”

It’s kinda weird. I don’t hate the story or anything, but it feels like someone wanted to write a story where the “Murderhobo” thing is taken seriously, but not too seriously, and it’s not working that well.

Yeah. 2 is ok story wise, it’s just tonnaly weird. It’s only till the presequel that it gets terrible and legit memes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BL2's story mostly works until the control core angel fight. Everything after Roland dies is crap and feels like endless padding through lovely environments.

At least the level design was mostly okay, but the enemies sucked. Pre Sequel level design is horrendous and the enemies are awful and every. single. quest. has you go to a door, oops it's locked, now you have to take the long way around.

Pre-Sequel music is dull, the story is crap, the writing is bad, the level design is awful, the enemy variety is terrible. The only things it does genuinely well is having better classes and game balance than BL2.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pre-Sequel had the very good feature of the player character actually having lines and reacting to the story and dialogue that is happening to them, the actual writing of it not withstanding, though that was something that originally started being experimented with in some of the later Borderlands 2 DLCs.

I cannot overstate how sick I've gotten of the silent protagonist.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Jimbot posted:

That's what always bothered me. Season 1 had this too where it tied the plight of non-benders to the villain. Once Amon was defeated, the problem was solved. Non-benders got ????????????????? once it was all over. It never really tackled some things that it sets up which was extremely disappointing and like you said, hyper-capitalists end up being heroes and the status quo goes unchallenged.

I remember being so sad that the non bender's plight plotline was dropped so suddenly. I'd love to see a version of Korra where they knew from day one it was gonna be four seasons, because I feel like that, maybe more than anything, really brought the series down (and this is coming from someone who really likes Korra).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Burch is good at writing characters and dialogue but the story and lore of BL2 are pretty garbo, and this comes from someone a bit too obsessed with the series

Every discussion about Burch leads to loving insufferable 4chan bullshit tho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

Pre-Sequel had the very good feature of the player character actually having lines and reacting to the story and dialogue that is happening to them, the actual writing of it not withstanding, though that was something that originally started being experimented with in some of the later Borderlands 2 DLCs.

I played as Zer0, though, so it at least seemed kind of appropriate.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I played as Zer0, though, so it at least seemed kind of appropriate.

Zer0 is a chatty motherfucker though, he just talks entirely in haiku.

As someone who does really like the Borderlands series probably more than I should, I do think it gets a worse rap than it deserves a lot of the time and hope 3 is good, but man is Randy just reducing himself into a puddle with all the poo poo that keeps happening with him.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you're going to post

with such conviction then I guess brace for blowback about being wrong on something because you didn't want to bother clicking the ? under another poster's name.

Well that post was meant to be tongue in cheek, but in fairness that kind of stuff can be really hard to gauge over the internet and it's easy to assume the other person is a dick rather than ironic/sarcastic, since the internet is full of belligerent a-holes

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Arcsquad12 posted:

BL2's story mostly works until the control core angel fight. Everything after Roland dies is crap and feels like endless padding through lovely environments.

I just got to that point, actually. Did the Angel core quest last night and I feel that was one of its stronger quests, at least so far. I will admit that the little “Hey, why don’t they make the respawners stop respawning me?” type nitpicks are piling up. It’s not a huge deal; I’m not necessarily here because I heard the Story and Gameplay integration was amazing, after all.

Funny you say it’s full of padding, I got to the next zone and my first thought was “Wow, this looks like something from WoW during the Burning Crusade era,” followed by a dreadful flashback to the ultra grinding faction quests. Now that feels even more foreboding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i am tim! posted:

I just got to that point, actually. Did the Angel core quest last night and I feel that was one of its stronger quests, at least so far. I will admit that the little “Hey, why don’t they make the respawners stop respawning me?” type nitpicks are piling up. It’s not a huge deal; I’m not necessarily here because I heard the Story and Gameplay integration was amazing, after all.

Funny you say it’s full of padding, I got to the next zone and my first thought was “Wow, this looks like something from WoW during the Burning Crusade era,” followed by a dreadful flashback to the ultra grinding faction quests. Now that feels even more foreboding.

So you know how you go to the Eridium Blight and Mordecai tells you to get to the info stockade, but they block the bridge so you have to go to Sawtooth Cauldron instead first? Now, imagine if that happened for every quest in the game, and you've got the quest design for the Pre-Sequel. It was annoying in Borderlands 2 and absolutely terrible in TPS.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

id agree with that. i played as athena and she was fun at least.

watho posted:

Burch is good at writing characters and dialogue but the story and lore of BL2 are pretty garbo, and this comes from someone a bit too obsessed with the series

Every discussion about Burch leads to loving insufferable 4chan bullshit tho

i think most of the characters are all right. they just don't really DO anything. the biggest issue i have with all the borderlands games honestly is the shooting just isn't fun for me. its a big mix of lack of movement, guns being wither super weak or super strong and baddie hit reactions not existent. i am hoping 3 fixes some of this stuff but i kinda dislike gearbox for a ton of different reasons.

in my opinion i always thought bulletstorm was how i always wanted borderlands to be. there is lots of humor and dirty jokes but their is genuin heart to the story and empathy for the characters. plus i love how capitalism hosed the paradise world to death and the villian is just an fun all around creepy dickhead who is also a sexist racist psycho. plus the combat while clunky at times is vicerial and varied and fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 22, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Maybe you should butt out, buttface :mad:

This is a completely normal response. Yikes

Youre such a dumbass its honestly pretty awe inspiring. Cease posting immediately.

Also borderlands is trash.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Also borderlands is trash.

i bought it on launch and they hosed up the pc fov so bad that i stopped playing after 20 minutes and never picked it up again.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i bought it on launch and they hosed up the pc fov so bad that i stopped playing after 20 minutes and never picked it up again.

I played thru 1 and it was extremely miserable and hearing about tiny tina and BUTTSTALLION xD i knew i made the right choice never getting even close to the games. Somehow i heard the telltale series is REAAALLY good, but i dont own that one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Say whatever you want about Borderlands, and you can say a lot, but I am endlessly amused by SomethingAwful Dot Com posters making GBS threads themselves in rage because a game had a reference to a popular meme in it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ArfJason posted:

I played thru 1 and it was extremely miserable and hearing about tiny tina and BUTTSTALLION xD i knew i made the right choice never getting even close to the games. Somehow i heard the telltale series is REAAALLY good, but i dont own that one.

the Telltale series is easily the best game both made by Telltale and in the Borderlands franchise and how low of a bar that is to clear is entirely dependent on you but I found it well written and much funnier than the source material.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

opposing force is the only good game gearbox has made.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Borderlands sucks because that piece of poo poo Pitchford used the money for a possible cool Aliens game (superior property) for his hack meme game.

gently caress borderlands

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Turns out the Telltale formula of choosing marginally different dialogue options works a lot better when you're picking which joke you want to hear than trying to tell a "serious, branching narrative experience."

Also the new characters were pretty good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

opposing force is the only good game gearbox has made.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Telltale game is good when the Pre-Sequel characters aren't on screen

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The borderlands games are games I really enjoyed to play through once with my buds, but I don't understand how people genuinely love it.
NG+ in 2 was also an insane hyperinflation of HP values to silly agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoyed both games but I never had good luck as far as the broken unique drops go and busted unique combos were the way to go.

The Bee + Conference Call used to be the way to instantly delete super bosses