Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Also weird is that you are incredibly close to the enemy base, too, but that might just be the higher resolution we are playing at.

I find it quite interesting that Dune 2 and TD were both made as games centering around a war to control a new resource, the idea being that to achieve victory you needed to send out heavily armoured collector vehicles to dangerous locations far away from your base. Red Alert seems to be much less that and focuses much more on straight up combat. It might be the nostalgia talking but I really do wonder what could be done with sticking to the original concept and developing it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, I hope they do that if they ever make a sequel.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Hmm, the map didn't seem to trigger the big gently caress You-move of landing a Tanya on the beach next to your base. Maybe taking out the comm center to the east early has an effect on it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'd be interested in seeing the map/scripts/triggers for this one, then. I haven't played any of these personally so that kind of thing is always neat, but for this map in particular now I'm really interested.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

I'd be interested in seeing the map/scripts/triggers for this one, then. I haven't played any of these personally so that kind of thing is always neat, but for this map in particular now I'm really interested.

soon™

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Deus Ex Machina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2vtecM48ks
Deus Ex Machina

Volkov's been captured, and the secrets of his construction must NOT be relinquished to the Allies. Do what you can to rescue Volkov, or ensure the classified technologies do not fall into Allied hands.

[This space left intentionally blank.]

Objective: Rescue, or kill Volkov before the Allies learn of the technologies involved in his creation.

Briefing: The Allies have captured Volkov in an attempt to learn the secrets of his construction. This is not allowed. Destroy the four Allied radar sites in the area, allowing us to reactivate our tracking devices and locate Volkov. Once located, send a scientist into the structure to reactivate him. Guide him to our chinook, where he will be airlifted out of the area. Once safe, destroy all Allied forces in the area. Hurry. If the Allies discover Volkov's control codes, he will have to be destroyed as well.

Author's note: A challenging mission, and I love how there are three separate ways to play it out, all in ways that feel organic. However this mission plays out, it is a direct consequence of the player, and that's always a good thing.

Name: Gen. Topolov
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Alan Charof

General Topolov wastes no time in detailing the Allied plans and what he expects of you. Also hates the Allied horonosfiere. Probably drunk on a regular basis, while on duty. Drinks heavily to dull the pain of being a war criminal.

N/A

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I re-watched that video and I can't stop laughing at that moment.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I re-watched that video and I can't stop laughing at that moment.

boom

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The other one :)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Erm...
Woof!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, umm, that certainly went off the rails in more ways then one way. The scripting behind this one looked to be complex, to say the least, and honestly, the only real negative of the map, besides some unfriendly trucks, was the sparse lack of ore outside your starting zone, although that huge money create island certainly does make up a bit for that. Still, give that hound the Hero of the Soviet Union medal for its' brave and quick actions this day, yes...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

wow spoilers for future events??? how could you

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Man's best friend!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like to think of it as comrade cyberdog doing one last favour for a friend

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Grunyev Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdsrYrYAK8A
Grunyev Revolution

General Topolov mentioned an unruly province, and the time to crush them is now. We cannot let such dissent spread to other nearby provinces. Kill them all, show no mercy!

[This space left intentionally blank.]

Objective: Defeat the revolutionaries!

Briefing: Citizens within the Grunyev province have been speaking out against Soviet involvement in Western Europe. Silence them. Take a force into the area and eliminate any dissidents. We have received reports that the civilians may be armed, but against the might of the Soviet Empire, no force they can muster will protect them. See to it that they serve as an example to others. Eliminate them all -- men, women, and children.

Author's note: A fun and challenging scenario, with a crazy start and enough different attacks that you're forced to keep on your toes. Oh, and the ending is intentional if you miss those units.

Name: Gen. Topolov
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Alan Charof

General Topolov wastes no time in detailing the Allied plans and what he expects of you. Also hates the Allied horonosfiere. Probably drunk on a regular basis, while on duty. Drinks heavily to dull the pain of being a war criminal.

N/A

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
:stare:
Well armed civilians.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Umm, yeah, really looking forward to seeing the triggers and scripting for this mission because that ending was... something.

Anyway, I really liked this one, and it did mixed tech trees far better then the Brothers in Arms mission. Having civilians suddenly be a major threat is a nice twist, and kept things interesting. From reading the mission briefing, I wonder if not destroying those trucks is what spawned in that hostile Elite Guard unit, as it did make it quite clear that no civilian should survive. Weird that killing them just ended the mission successfully though, almost felt like the start of a branching path story there. Still, least Gen. Topolov makes it out of this, was pretty interesting how Westwood actually had his character become more and more disillusioned throughout the expansions. Still, nicely done with RA1, was interesting seeing how much of the game differed from what I remembered from years and years ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

From reading the mission briefing, I wonder if not destroying those trucks is what spawned in that hostile Elite Guard unit, as it did make it quite clear that no civilian should survive.

Bingo. And technically the Elite Guard will attack anyone. The mission ends when either of the opponents are defeated.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

:stare:
Well armed civilians.

A libertarian's dream! Personal nuclear "self-defense"!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Putting this mission at the very end implies the canonical ending for the Soviet commander in Red Alert 1 is either dying or fleeing after being targeted by the Elite Guard. Sad, but very Stalinist-era USSR.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Bingo. And technically the Elite Guard will attack anyone. The mission ends when either of the opponents are defeated.

I'm not sure why them attacking you surprised past you. They showed up with a line about how they were here to kill ALL of the civilians. Don't get in their way.

And then you got in their way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm not sure why them attacking you surprised past you. They showed up with a line about how they were here to kill ALL of the civilians. Don't get in their way.

And then you got in their way.

I'm not resisting! I'm not resisting!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

By presenting such an inviting target for the Elite Guard you have delayed the execution of civilians by several seconds comrade.
Stalin will not be pleased!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Isn't Stalin dead at this point?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

The "reinforcements" were his honor guard, so presumably this happens mod campaign.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess maybe Kane is running the USSR in a Stalin suit.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Like the Covert Ops expansion, the exact time frame of the RA expansions is kinda up in the air, although since Gen. Topolov still had a Stalin picture in his(now your) office and was disillusioned by endless war crimes, it can be assumed that Stalin is still alive during these events. That, and they take place across mainland Europe, which would be under Soviet occupation if this was post-game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Buuut... It's called Aftermath

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I got the feeling that the player characters in Aftermath aren't meant to be the same people as those from the main campaign. In fact I'd like to believe that the "elite guard" that show up and wreck poo poo at the end are a detachment belonging to the now highly-ranked campaign player character.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, I got the feeling that the player characters in Aftermath aren't meant to be the same people as those from the main campaign. In fact I'd like to believe that the "elite guard" that show up and wreck poo poo at the end are a detachment belonging to the now highly-ranked campaign player character.

Yeah, in some of the written briefings for the expansions, the Soviet player character is just called Field Commander S-7, and throughout the expansions they are commanded by General Topolov, with no mention or sigh of any of the main campaign Soviet characters, sans Stalin. I don't think that there is a special designation for the Allied commander during the expansions, but since you are being briefed by General Carville, it can also be assumed that they are a different character to the main campaign commander.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The one where I ramble about maps for 3 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7y65vq_2c8
The one where I ramble about maps for 3 hours

39 pages in, and high command has dictated that it is finally time to investigate every map I've played so far, including variants that I missed, and dabbling in code/triggers from 199X.

[This image removed for doxxing.]

Objective: To show off the many maps in both campaigns, and all of the expansion scenarios.

Briefing: High Command has finally decided to release the footage of this latest video footage. It is understood that the footage dates several weeks, if not months, so some statements may be out of date. It is hoped that this will not be an issue.

Author's note: Probably the best thing I've ever released, ever.

None of them

All of them

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
A really fantastic effort.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hank Morgan posted:

A really fantastic effort.

I hope I didn't annoy too many mapmakers with my lack of "expertise" in some of the more complex trigger/teamtype setups (lookin' at you, Sarin Gas: Crackdown!).

As for the LP, that's basically the last major part to it. I have to do a once-over of the videos we've seen and/or missed, such as some that appear to have been PS1 exclusives, or that only occurred on specific win/loss conditions.

Otherwise, is there anything you think I missed or want covered? I'll be saving mods or third-party content for later, probably whenever I finish up the "classic" era of Command and Conquer, and then do a batch of those and compare vs the official content.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Have you played a skirmish game vs the AI? Not technically part of the campaign but may be good to see how it plays out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mighty Steed posted:

Have you played a skirmish game vs the AI? Not technically part of the campaign but may be good to see how it plays out.

I could do that, sure :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Great LP once again.

I'm ready for Tiberian Sun :getin:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah, this has been really cool. I feel the itch to try the game out myself like I did for TD, maybe I'll get a bit farther than five missions :D.

Contrary to TD, I have a lot of fond memories of playing this with a buddy, like we decided what building to put where together, and took turns building up tank armies and so on. My favorite thing was a little trick he pulled in a skirmish map: he allied with an enemy player (maybe with a console command?), then built a fuckload of demo trucks and parked them next to each of their buildings.

Then he broke the alliance and set off the first truck with a nuke.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, this has been really cool. I feel the itch to try the game out myself like I did for TD, maybe I'll get a bit farther than five missions :D.

Contrary to TD, I have a lot of fond memories of playing this with a buddy, like we decided what building to put where together, and took turns building up tank armies and so on. My favorite thing was a little trick he pulled in a skirmish map: he allied with an enemy player (maybe with a console command?), then built a fuckload of demo trucks and parked them next to each of their buildings.

Then he broke the alliance and set off the first truck with a nuke.

To ally with people online you had to hit the "F" key... or maybe the "A" key? Either way, it was a simple button press. Legitimately could never get it to work for me though. The AI always preferred to fight it out at all times.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To ally with people online you had to hit the "F" key... or maybe the "A" key? Either way, it was a simple button press. Legitimately could never get it to work for me though. The AI always preferred to fight it out at all times.

You could ally with skirmish AI, but they would never form alliances with each other.

Also, if you didn't ally with the skirmish AI they would eventually stop fighting each other and turn on you. So you could potentially have 7 AI just instantly stop fighting each other once they deemed you were a big enough threat and do a 180 and march towards your base. This was an option you can turn off in the INI files though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Also, if you didn't ally with the skirmish AI they would eventually stop fighting each other and turn on you. So you could potentially have 7 AI just instantly stop fighting each other once they deemed you were a big enough threat and do a 180 and march towards your base. This was an option you can turn off in the INI files though.

This literally always happened to me and was instrumental in why I stopped playing vs AI.