Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The Telltale game is good when the Pre-Sequel characters aren't on screen

aw, Athena was cool. shame she had to be kidnapped partway through the story so she could BE in the pre-sequel, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man, first the drama with Projared and his ex wife, and now Alex Hirsch and Natalie Portman

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1131278982287056896

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

My favourite thing about Civvie talking about the Postal series (He did a thing today on the Redux) is that he'll occasionally go "Isn't it hosed up that the people who gave more poo poo to violence in videogames ended up endorsing actual wars" , which well, it makes sense on the 1990's, but anyone who, let's say, paid attention to the Running With Scissors site in the early 2000's noticed they heavily plugged Cox and Forkum which if you keep in your head that particular observation it just becomes really funny / sorta brain breaky in hindsight.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Postal 2 is a pretty bad-feeling shooter that gets by a lot on having an open environment at a time when that was still pretty novel in an FPS.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Postal 2 was a poo poo game with like 2 good jokes but it was also a proto open world style in a time when that was actually a pretty rare thing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Noah Gervais’ video on the postal series is really loving good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

postal 1 has possibly the all time worst controls in a video game but it is one of the most disturbing games of all time.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It also had just enough early FPS sensibility guiding that open world such that the people designing the environment realized that "oh hey you know what's fun? Being rewarded for exploring by putting in weird places and hidden caches of stuff." It is nice that whenever you're running low on gear you can just poke your nose anywhere to find some goodies, or some weirdness like the hellsewer with the zombie dogs in it. I feel like modern open world games don't really have that same giddiness of finding useful secrets.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 22, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Postal 2 lets you find a copy of Postal 3. And if you pee on it you get a cheevo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

watho posted:

Noah Gervais’ video on the postal series is really loving good

Don't get me wrong, it did some neat stuff and it was groundbreaking on some extent when it came out! It's just a bit goofy when people go "Why did the people who cause so much grief to the dev happen to be big proponents of US Military action" when the dev team happily had someone who made quite some bank at cheerleading said US Military action on their site.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, thanks to whoever linked Movies with Mikey earlier, he has some good thoughts on Hot Fuzz. Also Noah Gervais. He's downright hypnotic. Like 'man talks about Neverwinter Nights for three hours' shouldn't be good at all but he's compelling.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

Don't get me wrong, it did some neat stuff and it was groundbreaking on some extent when it came out! It's just a bit goofy when people go "Why did the people who cause so much grief to the dev happen to be big proponents of US Military action" when the dev team happily had someone who made quite some bank at cheerleading said US Military action on their site.

It's just a shame that the dev team turned out to be hardcore GG chuds in the end.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Stop everything, new Contrapoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mspMJTNEY

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It's just a shame that the dev team turned out to be hardcore GG chuds in the end.

don't really see how that would be a surprise since one of the primary means of interacting with the world encouraged by postal 2 is beating up and pissing on protesters

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1131355615702339584?s=19

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

What other criticisms were there?

In a random order from what I can think of off the top of my head:

Tannis is canonically on the spectrum but even in 2 she's still characterized as ~quirky~ and/or ~crazy~ in a way that feels unnecessary at best.

Roland's death is a huge narrative clusterfuck because Anthony Burch didn't consider the New-U stations to be canon, despite this also being the same game that includes a quest directly highlighting their presence (which admittedly seems to be a hold-over from an early draft of the game where Handsome Jack would always mock you when you died) among other idiosyncracies. I'm not sure how many people were serious vs. snarking vs. concern trolling, but regardless it's pretty lame that the one good guy that gets taken out is the competent and likeable black guy.

Everything to do with Lilith's behavior, the really one note metaphor of Eridium as a drug for Sirens, and her ensuing damsel-ing through more plot contrivances were all kinda bad.

Tiny Tina's manner of speaking can be off-putting not because of meeeeeemes but because it strays into "white girl talking like a stereotypical black person" territory.

There's very few actual memes in the game beyond challenge names, a few easter eggs, and some incidental dialogue. (And if that's all it takes then I don't know why we don't call WoW World of Memecraft.) The furor over MEMELANDS got to the point where people were labeling literally any joke in the game at all (in a game full of jokes) a meme, and therefore bad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I saw someone posted about Lindsay Ellis' new Aladdin video a bit back, by the way and I love it. I knew the most details of Disney violating the spirit of their agreement with Robin Williams, but I'm glad someone is doing their best to make more people in the world aware of how Michael Eisner tried to bribe his way back into Robin's good graces. The particular reason that didn't work is also amazing:

quote:

Disney attempted to assuage Williams by sending him a Pablo Picasso painting worth more than $1 million at the time, but this move failed to repair the damaged relationship, as the painting was a self-portrait of the artist as Vincent van Gogh which apparently really "clashed" with the Williams' wilder home decor.

If you want more demonstrations of Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg being petty assholes (this time to each other), Defunctland's bits about the time Michael Eisner tried to snipe Jeffrey Katzenberg's GameWorks project while the Disney parks were in turmoil are a great watch. Most of it is in the second video, but you get a taste of the drama at the start of the first one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbBGwXb9Zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZQGtnEL2xs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tannis was much better in BL1 where her slow descent into madness was done really well

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tannis was much better in BL1 where her slow descent into madness was done really well

Yeah, that's the thing. BL1 puts it across surprisingly well and it's not like it's fundamentally impossible to do mentally ill + autistic I guess but they go for really cheap and easy signifiers for most of 2. There are a few moments where she's a lot more low key and the voice actress sells it, but that's easy to miss compared to stuff like her title card describing her as "Insane(ly smart)" , making for a bad look.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I saw someone posted about Lindsay Ellis' new Aladdin video a bit back, by the way and I love it. I knew the most details of Disney violating the spirit of their agreement with Robin Williams, but I'm glad someone is doing their best to make more people in the world aware of how Michael Eisner tried to bribe his way back into Robin's good graces. The particular reason that didn't work is also amazing:

If you want more demonstrations of Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg being petty assholes (this time to each other), Defunctland's bits about the time Michael Eisner tried to snipe Jeffrey Katzenberg's GameWorks project while the Disney parks were in turmoil are a great watch. Most of it is in the second video, but you get a taste of the drama at the start of the first one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbBGwXb9Zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZQGtnEL2xs

I feel like being a Disney fan must be such a fraught endeavor for anyone with research skills and curiosity.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Man, first the drama with Projared and his ex wife, and now Alex Hirsch and Natalie Portman

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1131278982287056896
Thanks for the heart attacks bud.

Company Man looks at what happened to Quiznos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3QK-32bxgw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

Everything to do with Lilith's behavior, the really one note metaphor of Eridium as a drug for Sirens, and her ensuing damsel-ing through more plot contrivances were all kinda bad.

Isn't that what he got a framed thing from Sarkeesian for?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

i am tim! posted:

I’ve been playing through it for the past few weeks since it’s been in my Steam library for years but I’ve never played it past level 15 or so. So far it seems like an OK-ish shooter. The “Bajillions of Guns!” thing is kinda neat, but I’m finding that I hate most of the random combinations. I don’t know why I keep getting scopes on shotguns but they keep coming. I sorta like Handsome Jack as a villain, or at least I did at first, but all my allies only value life marginally more than Jack does so it kinda makes him less a taunting villain and more “Another jaggoff swearing in my radio.”

It’s kinda weird. I don’t hate the story or anything, but it feels like someone wanted to write a story where the “Murderhobo” thing is taken seriously, but not too seriously, and it’s not working that well.

I tried playing first Borderlands as part of a free weekend, and I remember really disliking it, as it just felt boring and dull, and the guns didn't feel that good. One critique I remember reading on Borderlands 2, though, brought up the point that your initial experience was dependent on how lucky or unlucky you were with the weapon drops you got at the start.

The 'Bajillions of Guns' reminds me of the Bro Team video on BL2, where they made a joke on that line. "They say there's a gorillion guns in this game, but it more like AN ORANGUTAN loving DICK MILLION!"

Alaois posted:

I'm not actually mad at everyone in the thread

John Murdoch posted:

There's very few actual memes in the game beyond challenge names, a few easter eggs, and some incidental dialogue. (And if that's all it takes then I don't know why we don't call WoW World of Memecraft.) The furor over MEMELANDS got to the point where people were labeling literally any joke in the game at all (in a game full of jokes) a meme, and therefore bad.

That makes sense. I suppose it's also not really fair for me to complain, since I like games like Space Quest and Jazzpunk, and lot of the humor you could criticize for being referential, corny, or stupid.

Alaois posted:

I'm not actually mad at everyone in the thread
See, I'm going to have to disagree with this, because I feel 75% of your posts could be described as, 'Alaois getting mad/irate/annoyed/cynical at the thread for the current discussion topic or something else.'

Even your avatar looks angry!

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 23, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

See, I'm going to have to disagree with this, because I feel 75% of your posts could be described as, 'Alaois getting mad/irate/annoyed/cynical at the thread for the current discussion topic or something else.'

Even your avatar looks angry!

alaois is one of the only good posters here, imho. imo. In my IMHO opinion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

on the one hand you're knowingly bad posting in the thread if in your opinion you're not a good poster. on the other hand, your opinion is correct.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

really every post in this thread should be everyone asking "where's shaun" until he posts a new video

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Do not even ask posted:

really every post in this thread should be everyone asking "where's shaun" until he posts a new video

Most recently he played Revolver Ocelot and Psycho Mantis.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
shaun has been suspsiciously quiet lately.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ArfJason posted:

alaois is one of the only good posters here, imho. imo. In my IMHO opinion.

Hey now, I didn't say his posts were bad.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

One day I hope to aspire to the level of quality of a shaun

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ArfJason posted:

shaun has been suspsiciously quiet lately.

His twitter is active

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

One day I hope to aspire to the level of quality of a shaun

just say "fhanks a lot for watchin" out loud after every post.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

His twitter is active

i know i meant on his youtubes, but alas. some as old as spring

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like being a Disney fan must be such a fraught endeavor for anyone with research skills and curiosity.

Disney is pretty fascinating, but also super depressing because these guys spent large segments of their adult lives trading off being petty dicks to everyone and radically transforming Disney from a company on the brink of bankruptcy to the oppressive media presence we have today.

Defunctland also has a lot of good segments on "mature" rides and attractions (ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter, a teen dance club, Pleasure Island, etc.) Michael Eisner pushed into the theme parks because his teenage son told him Disney was for lame babies.

I think Lindsay recc'd it in a video before, but DisneyWar is a really cool deep dive into all the backstage drama during the 80s up through Michael Eisner's ousting in the early 2000s.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think Lindsay recc'd it in a video before, but DisneyWar is a really cool deep dive into all the backstage drama during the 80s up through Michael Eisner's ousting in the early 2000s.

I remember reading that book several years ago. It is a very interesting read, especially on some of the different things Disney tried. One of the interesting things I remember reading about was how in the wake of the Lion King, Disney opened up a bunch of stores to sell merchandise, only for it to crash when people stopped caring about Lion King.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Disney is pretty fascinating, but also super depressing because these guys spent large segments of their adult lives trading off being petty dicks to everyone and radically transforming Disney from a company on the brink of bankruptcy to the oppressive media presence we have today.

Defunctland also has a lot of good segments on "mature" rides and attractions (ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter, a teen dance club, Pleasure Island, etc.) Michael Eisner pushed into the theme parks because his teenage son told him Disney was for lame babies.

yeah. the history of the company and its various failed endeavors as well as successes are fascinating. like they took comic book movies and made them a giant interconnected universe that builds off itself and then manage to cap off the 10 year plot line pretty well in a drat solid/good final and plan to set up even more stuff for the next "season". on top of that, most of the movies are fun and decent/good. some are even great. Star wars is less stable then the marvel brand but all the movies are at least decent.

meanwhile WB is loving up with both DC and harry potter.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

I tried playing first Borderlands as part of a free weekend, and I remember really disliking it, as it just felt boring and dull, and the guns didn't feel that good. One critique I remember reading on Borderlands 2, though, brought up the point that your initial experience was dependent on how lucky or unlucky you were with the weapon drops you got at the start.

Yeah, top of my list of things I want for BL3 is for the gun combos to produce less outright unusable garbage and for the stat comparison between guns to be less oblique.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Instead of the whole aftermarket system where you can get different manufacturer parts on different guns, they should just focus on specializing each manufacturer further. Instead of a maliwan SMG with a bandit scope, all maliwan guns use maliwan parts so you know what you're getting, rather than looking at a guns initial stats before realizing it's dogshit because you didn't pixel hunt well enough to spot the bad aftermarket part slapped on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

One of the worst things about being a Disney fan and looking even a tiny bit into its history (or being a tiny bit aware of how much corporations suck) is that you suddenly have to develop immense compartmentalization skills to separate the stuff you like from people like Michael Eisner, Bob Iger and such.