Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Facebook reminder from five years ago today

:aaa:

who is the chick meant to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dont let the libdems pull a macron on your rear end

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

lol are they allowed to release opinion polls whilst the rl polls are open?

e: just checked they actually released the poll last night and BritainElects is playing catchup

Doccykins has issued a correction as of 12:58 on May 23, 2019

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Kurtofan posted:

who is macron

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
yeah don't hold your breath on a miracle turnout by the youth

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bitmap posted:

perhaps but what about that one monty python sketch where the miner son comes home to his disdainful playwright dad and his mum is all "ooh stop it you know what he's like after a few novels" eheheh

THERE'S NOWT WRONG WI' MEANINGFUL VOTES LAD! i've 'ad more meaningful votes than you've 'ad hot dinners!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Kurtofan posted:

They won't pull a Macron, best case is they get back to their 40-50 seat heyday. That might be consequential though, as neither Labour nor the Conservatives seem likely to achieve a majority whilst the single issue parties (BXP, LD, GR) can cannibalise single issue Brexit voters off both of them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

man flub

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ayn Randi posted:

THERE'S NOWT WRONG WI' MEANINGFUL VOTES LAD! i've 'ad more meaningful votes than you've 'ad hot dinners!

The Rt Hon Dennis Skinner MP? Is that you?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Vlex posted:

The Rt Hon Dennis Skinner MP? Is that you?

Implying Skinner is a privy councillor is probably the most grievous insult he could imagine

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A no good man

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A centrist if u will

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

tarbrush posted:

They won't pull a Macron, best case is they get back to their 40-50 seat heyday. That might be consequential though, as neither Labour nor the Conservatives seem likely to achieve a majority whilst the single issue parties (BXP, LD, GR) can cannibalise single issue Brexit voters off both of them.

This is unlikely btw - not only would it need the Lib Dems to get up into mid twenties in terms of percentage of the vote, the party has some serious money troubles and the coalition years have meant their presence has atrophied in a bunch of former Lib Dem marginals, so their potential targets have dropped.

One thing they might benefit from is a major splitting of the Tory vote to Brexit Party or the Tory vote not turning up, like what happened at the locals.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
the french only elected Macron because he wasn't Le Pen

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

A centrist if u will

ewww

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

MikeCrotch posted:

This is unlikely btw - not only would it need the Lib Dems to get up into mid twenties in terms of percentage of the vote, the party has some serious money troubles and the coalition years have meant their presence has atrophied in a bunch of former Lib Dem marginals, so their potential targets have dropped.

One thing they might benefit from is a major splitting of the Tory vote to Brexit Party or the Tory vote not turning up, like what happened at the locals.

Yeah, it's their best case. I don't think it's outlandish though, a hard Brexiter might displace enough tories, and Labour could still be a bit vulnerable if some people's European election votes lead them to go for a more definitive remain party.

That also goes for donors, there have been a few public donors leaving the main parties. If the Lib Dems can convince people that they'll be kingmakers in the next parliament, plenty of big donors might look at the relative cost of buying influence in the big parties vs cost in the Libs.

It's all about momentum for them at the moment, if they fall back in the Euro elections all of the above evaporates and they're dead again. If they outperform, they could be a very annoying thorn.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
will the results of the eu election be announced tonight or do they wait until sunday after all the other countries have voted

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Sunday

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
exit polls are illegal until Sunday too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/theresnotime/status/1131539882378031105

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EU citizens are finding that their votes have been suppressed

https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1131544265862078464

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think we have more electoral fraud than the US now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol the US is completely corrupt.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
I would guess it's more likely a result of nobody being sure these elections were happening for a long time combined with a decade's worth of cuts taking it's toll on the administrative competence of councils than any deliberate suppression

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think we have more electoral fraud than the US now.

Easy there. We have people running around with boxes of ballots they don't like. We're very crooked.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bryter posted:

I would guess it's more likely a result of nobody being sure these elections were happening for a long time combined with a decade's worth of cuts taking it's toll on the administrative competence of councils than any deliberate suppression

Destruction of competent administration is a way of suppression though

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there any proof to the lib claim that “labour wants brexit”

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
or that lib dems won’t coalition with torys again

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Themage posted:

is there any proof to the lib claim that “labour wants brexit”

The 2017 Labour manifesto said the party accepted the referendum result and would see Brexit through.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bryter posted:

The 2017 Labour manifesto said the party accepted the referendum result and would see Brexit through.

what about something that isnt 2 years old

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Themage posted:

what about something that isnt 2 years old

The guardian article Corbyn wrote in December headlined Let Me Do Brexit?

Labour have been saying for like a year that their priority is securing a general election to give them a chance to push their Brexit deal through, and failing that a 2nd referendum. None of this is secret.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
so they arent pro brexit then

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks, could have just said the second ref part first

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Themage posted:

thanks, could have just said the second ref part first

I couldn't really, because that wouldn't communicate the fact that a second referendum is what they want if they can't get their brexit deal through, which is their preferred option

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Themage posted:

so they arent pro brexit then

Their first priority is labour Brexit, which they're quite clear doesn't involve free movement and therefore does not include the single market.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

except in that recent TV interview corbyn admitted that it does feature freedom of movement because he wants single market access

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

tarbrush posted:

Their first priority is labour Brexit, which they're quite clear doesn't involve free movement and therefore does not include the single market.

Starmer, and more recently Corbyn, has said freedom of movement would be open for negotiation if Labour take charge of Brexit talks.

Basically it's pointless to speculate about what Labour "wants" wrt Brexit. What they want is to be a part of government. Keeping remainers and leavers alike on board is necessary to achieve that, and that's the primary motivator for their Brexit policy.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The entire point of Labour's strategy is this, to try and be different things to different people, it's like Blair is still in charge

E: I sympathise that they're between a rock and a hard place but, still, lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Obliterati posted:

Labour's strategy is this, to try and be different things to different people

So Labour's strategy is to literally become Brexit. We finally have a definition of Brexit. Labour is Brexit and Brexit is Labour. Corbyn has achieved enlightenment and become the physical manifestation of Brexit on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

galagazombie posted:

So Labour's strategy is to literally become Brexit. We finally have a definition of Brexit. Labour is Brexit and Brexit is Labour. Corbyn has achieved enlightenment and become the physical manifestation of Brexit on Earth.

Corbhisattva save us