Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
First month with a Criterion Channel subscription trip report:

I've watched 42 movies in 30 days. All but about 3 were on the channel.
I bought a Roku specifically for it after 2 weeks.
It's singularly responsible for me falling in love with film.
As far as I'm concerned, it has the best library of any streaming service I've ever used.
It ownssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

As far as I'm concerned, it has the best library of any streaming service I've ever used.
It ownssss.

Your making me nostalgic for a few years ago when the exact same thing happened to me, except that was when Hulu has the Criterion library. A major awakening that happened all within just a month or two as I discovered this neverending ocean of important and influential films.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there no way to change languages on Criterion Channel, or is that a movie by movie thing? I watched Godzilla vs King Gidorah last week and it was in Japanese. I started Invasion of Astro Monster today and I was ten minutes in before I realized I wasn't suddenly fluent in Japanese, that it was in English the whole time with no way to put in in Japanese.

There isn't. Son of Godzilla is the only one that has an alternative dub, and you can see it when you go into that movie's collection. There must be some weird rights issue, because it was the same thing in Filmstruck with a couple of them being dubs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

It ownssss.

It is really great. I still miss the studio fluff from the Filmstruck end of things, but I suppose only having the Criterion channel side of that will push me into watching better things than 30s screwball comedies.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Chromecast is apparently working now. There's also now a Leaving Soon section.

The movies leaving the Channel May 31:

Opening Night by John Cassavetes
The Elephant Man by David Lynch
Blood Simple by Joel and Ethan Coen

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there no way to change languages on Criterion Channel, or is that a movie by movie thing? I watched Godzilla vs King Gidorah last week and it was in Japanese. I started Invasion of Astro Monster today and I was ten minutes in before I realized I wasn't suddenly fluent in Japanese, that it was in English the whole time with no way to put in in Japanese.

Unless I’m wrong some of those are just english dub versions. I was bummed out the first time I realized it.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Electronico6 posted:

Oh, this is good to know. I haven't seen Opening Night, yet, so that moves right to the top of my watchlist.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Anyone else try to watch via chromecast yet? It’s jumping around in quality on me and pretty bad. I tried to watch The Day He Arrives and it gets bad enough to make the subtitles unreadable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Smithereens last night. I loved it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vinegar Syndrome is releasing a Blu-ray of Putney Swope. Criterion included it in their Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse DVD set (which is 100% worth it, though it's all on the CChannel). New 4K restoration, too.

Also, it's been confirmed Criterion's edition of Polyester will include a working Odorama card. 👃

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electronico6 posted:

If anyone hasn't seen Blood Simple, it's a must watch. One of the best debut films I've ever seen. Don't go into it thinking it's the same old song!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Cloks posted:

If anyone hasn't seen Blood Simple, it's a must watch. One of the best debut films I've ever seen. Don't go into it thinking it's the same old song!

I just watched this (after finally figuring out which browser plays the drat channel), and... man, it's weird seeing Frances McDormand so young. Really good movie too; a bit like a comedy of errors, only not funny. At all.

e: Well, no, I take that back. There isn't a Coen brothers movie that isn't at least a little funny, somehow.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 11, 2019

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Cloks posted:

I remember the Criterion store was selling a poster of the cover art for that edition but I totally slept on it and it sold out.

But yes, love this movie. It's grown on me after every subsequent viewing, too. I think it's my wife's favourite Coen movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Blood Simple has one of the most efficient screenplays I've ever seen. It doesn't waste a single frame. Perfect ending too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I hadn't watched a Kurosawa film in years and decided to give High and Low a try tonight, since I'd never seen it, and uh holy poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

I hadn't watched a Kurosawa film in years and decided to give High and Low a try tonight, since I'd never seen it, and uh holy poo poo.

Tell me how you reacted to the pink smoke. It's so masterfully pulled off.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

High and Low is my favorite film.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

August:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tell me how you reacted to the pink smoke. It's so masterfully pulled off.

I literally said "holy poo poo I love this movie" several times while watching it, and that was one of them.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The covers to the Koker Trilogy set are fan-loving-tastic

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i bought the blu ray of high and low blind and holy cow did that turn out well.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

A quiet month, but more Campion is a good (great) thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ham_sanitizer posted:

i bought the blu ray of high and low blind and holy cow did that turn out well.

To be fair it's not really gambling when it's Kurosawa.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair it's not really gambling when it's Kurosawa.

:hfive: I've seen 30 of his films, and I would say that he has made one bad film (Sanshiro Sugata II - which he was forced to make), a couple of so-so ones (mostly among his early works), and the rest range from great to masterpieces.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Most Beautiful and One Wonderful Sunday are pretty bad too.

I'm tempted to throw The Idiot in there as well though its a bit different of a case considering how badly cut up it was.

Can't say I liked Red Beard or Dodes'ka-den very much either.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 16, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Red Beard is good but there's not quite enough there to justify owning it imo. It's the rare Kurosawa that feels too long for it's own good and I doubt I'd watch it again. Definitely worth seeing just because it's the final Mifune/Kurosawa collaboration, and Mifune is great as always.

High and Low is legitimately one of the best crime thrillers ever made though, Kurosawa's versatility was really second to none.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

The Most Beautiful and One Wonderful Sunday are pretty bad too.

I'm tempted to throw The Idiot in there as well though its a bit different of a case considering how badly cut up it was.

Can't say I liked Red Beard or Dodes'ka-den very much either.

What’s your problem with Dodes’ka-den?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Red Beard is the point where Kurosawa starts to mellow out, becoming even more introspective and even slower. This can be seen as both good and bad depending on your patience, but all of his late career is born out of that film.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

What’s your problem with Dodes’ka-den?
Mostly I just find it pretty meandering. For personal reasons too, the way some characters in the film talk about the kid who likes trains hits a little too close to home for me since my little brother is mentally retarded.

In general I think Kurosawa was better at exploring social themes through the context of his genre films (High & Low again being an example) than when he tried to approach those themes more directly in movies like this.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, I find Kurosawa a bit clumsy when he tries to go for "important" themes, especially compared to his contemporaries Ozu and Mizoguchi, so I prefer his spectacle films. Dodes’ka-den looks absolutely fantastic though.

Electronico6 posted:

Red Beard is the point where Kurosawa starts to mellow out, becoming even more introspective and even slower. This can be seen as both good and bad depending on your patience, but all of his late career is born out of that film.

I think Red Beard also benefits from its place in Kurosawa's filmography. It makes for a perfect conclusion to his more optimistic phase. He started running into production and health problems soon afterwards and you can see it reflected in the increasingly cynical tone of his 70s and 80s output.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

Mostly I just find it pretty meandering. For personal reasons too, the way some characters in the film talk about the kid who likes trains hits a little too close to home for me since my little brother is mentally retarded.

In general I think Kurosawa was better at exploring social themes through the context of his genre films (High & Low again being an example) than when he tried to approach those themes more directly in movies like this.

It’s definitely meandering, by design of course as it’s really a series of vignettes with a frame story but I guess if you don’t like that structure you don’t. Obviously the latter makes sense too and isn’t something I could speak to. I was thinking you meant something more specific about the look or narrative of the film, I don’t really see the distinction between how Dodes’ka-den portrays post war social structure and how high and low does that. Both are highly stylized portrayals of more or less “realistic” social relations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some highlights for June:

- Directed by Dorothy Arzner (including Dance Girl Dance)
- Directed by Nicolas Roeg (including Performance)
- Alec Guinness (lots of Ealing, Lean, and Neame)
- The Decline of Western Civilization trilogy
- Double feature of Watership Down and The Plague Dogs
- The Hours and Times
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Where's my blu ray of Bad Timing? :colbert:

And while I'm bitching, where's my goddamned blu for Knife in the Water????

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just tell Polanksi that Criterion hasn't done it yet, he'll get his lawyers on them.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Where's my blu ray of Bad Timing? :colbert:

*bangs fork and knife on table*

Where's my Blu-ray for Come and See and Red Angel and The Abyss and Boggy Creek 2: And the Legend Continues?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Definitely feeling entitled right now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The first Boggy Creek is a legit culturally important film and should be preserved.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

- The Hours and Times

The outdoors is overrated. :tviv:

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The first Boggy Creek is a legit culturally important film and should be preserved.

There's a 4K restoration of the movie coming out this summer that was done by the director's daughter and it looks good as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEvbmZoD8Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Egbert Souse posted:

- The Hours and Times

I'd been holding out hope for a Criterion release of Plague Dogs for a while, but somehow it slipped past me that Shout did a restored release that includes the unedited cut!

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-plague-dogs