Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It’s just like getting backstage at a concert with a sharpie on a length of shoestring.

I got backstage plenty of times simply because who would walk around with a sharpie on a loop of string who wasn’t supposed to be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Physical security is a rabbit warren but that particular case is surprisingly easy to defend against with modern wired dot1x.

If you are running public spaces without it then you got problems

It gets harder if you have uplinks also in shared areas but the solution to that is macsec, when it's supported

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

Today a new VP started.
His title is "Vice President of Digital Strategy"

This also results in a reorg. My boss (the IT director) used to report to the CEO. Now, he reports to the new VP, and the new VP reports to the CFO.

Theoretically the positions is supposed to "guide digital strategy among the entire family of companies"

However, before the guy was even hired the executive team managed to alienate all of the internal IT groups by advertising publicly for this positions without so much as a "hey, btw"

To make matters worse, the rumor is that the reason for this position isn't as stated, but because the BoD doesn't trust any of the internal IT management and wants another a pet executive.

My resume is updated, but I've held off on actively looking because I want to see how this starts to play out. I'm in a good position to weather all but the worst political storm, but am worried that the culture is going to shift too much.

A ticket came in:

quote:

On May 22, 2019 @ 04:21 pm, CEO wrote:
Hello,
We would like to provide NEWVP with the highest level access to our systems including logs. CFO or I would be happy to answer any questions about this request.
Thank you,
CEO

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Agrikk posted:

It’s just like getting backstage at a concert with a sharpie on a length of shoestring.

I got backstage plenty of times simply because who would walk around with a sharpie on a loop of string who wasn’t supposed to be there?

My friends are all DJs, so I get into a lot of clubs by saying 'I'm with *real name of DJ*'

always makes me chuckle and kinda sad that I didn't just do this when I was 21

on the other hand - I was advised of a couple of mac address lock downs, presumably users moving stuff... time to drop kick some people haha, we take our physical security fairly seriously here which helps come audit time :D

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This week is great. Normally when someone is OOO they send out an all day meeting but change it to "free". Some new guy didnt change it so it looks like I'm booked solid got 3 days straight. No new meetings.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You’re all telling me port security isn’t a standard security procedure? Lmao

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Woof Blitzer posted:

You already know the answer

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Of course not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

abigserve posted:

Physical security is a rabbit warren but that particular case is surprisingly easy to defend against with modern wired dot1x.

If you are running public spaces without it then you got problems

It gets harder if you have uplinks also in shared areas but the solution to that is macsec, when it's supported

If you're sitting between a device that's supposed to be there and the switch, you can just MITM everything after the authorized device handles 802.1x authentication. MAC filtering is even easier since the MAC address is literally written on the back of the device you just unplugged. Unless your printer supports IPSec (lol) you're kind of screwed.

The Fool posted:

A ticket came in:

Separation of duties? gently caress that!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I think we're all gonna be out of the job when this goes viral, folks.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1321782595/abs

Be sure to read the comments, where he changes the acronym definition when someone mockingly asks about the app.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Pyroclastic posted:

Be sure to read the comments, where he changes the acronym definition when someone mockingly asks about the app.

The first feature request should be to correct punctuation in lovely product descriptions.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I like that under risks and challenges he says he doesnt have hardware or the "programming software"

Besides being a scam this is truly a great example of "ideas are worthless"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've been pitched app ideas multiple times by people that I rent my basement to.

They're often pretty similar to that kickstarter.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
6:00 PM - coworker had scheduled updates to install on a server that had 1GB free of disk space.
It went about as well as you'd expect.

I stopped the print spooler, freed up enough space to install the updates by deleting all the gigs of driver installers that were never cleaned up, and rebooted.
When it booted back up the disk space was back to 0 so I added 10 more gigs of space to the drive.
Updates finished installing and then drive space went back to 0 again.

I forgot to stop the print spooler when it rebooted and someone had a 10 gig print job stuck in the spool file. Impressive.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

6:00 PM - coworker had scheduled updates to install on a server that had 1GB free of disk space.
It went about as well as you'd expect.

I stopped the print spooler, freed up enough space to install the updates by deleting all the gigs of driver installers that were never cleaned up, and rebooted.
When it booted back up the disk space was back to 0 so I added 10 more gigs of space to the drive.
Updates finished installing and then drive space went back to 0 again.

I forgot to stop the print spooler when it rebooted and someone had a 10 gig print job stuck in the spool file. Impressive.

Was this one single job or was this many jobs all in a line?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For some reason I’m reminded of how a single typo in Aliens: Colonial Marines led to the pathfinding on the aliens being completely hosed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Was this one single job or was this many jobs all in a line?

no this was one single job.
I couldn't even clear it from the queue I had to delete the spd file.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Woof Blitzer posted:

Do you think K-Mart is likely to have had good network security procedures?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pyroclastic posted:

I think I have brain worms after reading the first paragraph.. maybe paragraph and a half depending on how you look at it, either way, the gently caress is that.

How do you find things like that christ.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My favorite is the guy's reply when called out on the pretty much literal impossibility of what he's supposedly attempting"

Ulises-Creator posted:

about 2 months ago
It's very possible you don't have a clue on this matter because your ignorant and do not have the skill to do it yourself people are jealous of what they cant do I do understand that and that's ok don't hate on that you can't comprehend

Also none of the (2) rewards include anything resembling a product. Rewards are a postcard and pictures of the project (?)

edit: holy poo poo is the guy actually saying you can change physical memory from the app (that runs on WiFi, I might add)?
I don't think he understands what WiFi is, much less how to fix "IT problems".

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Darchangel posted:

I don't think he understands what WiFi is, much less how to fix "IT problems".

It's very possible you don't have a clue on this matter because your ignorant and do not have the skill to do it yourself people are jealous of what they cant do I do understand that and that's ok don't hate on that you can't comprehend

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Some Dude from Kickstarter posted:

Born in San Felipe Baja California Mexico come to Colorado when I was 9 liked computers and technology since then studied computer science at RRCC

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Assuming it isn't a joke, that person is perhaps the worst case of Dunning-Kruger I've ever seen.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

A Literal Crazy Person posted:

if your wifi network happens to be the main problem ABS app will be able to run on its own without a wifi as long as your phone is turned on because the app will be attached or link to your Biometrix imagine your life pulse being attached to this software that said anytime you use your fingerptint to open your phone or to open the ABS app from that fingerprint the app can detect heart beat therefor it becames a part of you and its able to funtion without wifi

Sign me the gently caress UP

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The lack of punctuation in this poo poo actually triggers me.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

nullfunction posted:

I know, right? Why'd I even bother getting this Vivokey implanted?!

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
im permabanned poster Ulises. i first started liking computers and technology at 9. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "wifi" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "ABS" and "buy a server that can shot signals back and forth" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "wifi" style of IT was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what IEEE theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" wifi to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Laugh now but one of your C levels is going to read this and make you contact this guy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sepist posted:

Nice.

nullfunction posted:

I can't even on that one. How does it fix IT problems without a network connection? Where does it fix them? Are YOU the network connection/problem? Completely nonsensical.
I get that the guy was born in Mexico, but if he's been in the US since he was 9, shouldn't he speak usable English? He's presumably 18+ if going to a Community College.

Bonzo posted:

Laugh now but one of your C levels is going to read this and make you contact this guy.

Oh dear god DELETE DELETE DELETE

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I can't even on that one. How does it fix IT problems without a network connection? Where does it fix them? Are YOU the network connection/problem?

I found the inspiration for the app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LinpRhB4aWU&t=19s

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

What resume format is cool these days? I haven't had to use one in a while and my old one looks, excuse my French, like poo poo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sepist posted:

Working in IT 3.0: It's very possible you don't have a clue on this matter because your ignorant and do not have the skill to do it yourself people are jealous of what they cant do I do understand that and that's ok don't hate on that you can't comprehend

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

no pubes yet sorry posted:

What resume format is cool these days? I haven't had to use one in a while and my old one looks, excuse my French, like poo poo.

I use a modified two-column deedy: https://www.sharelatex.com/templates/cv-or-resume/deedy-resume and have had people say they like it. It got a little weird now that it's a two-pager, so it's 2-col on page one and full-wdith on page two.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KillHour posted:

Separation of duties? gently caress that!

Went to talk to the VP in question and his immediate response was "Oh no, that's not necessary, we can sit down next week and discuss what access I actually need."

So, point in his favor

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Of the three resumes I've looked at this week, none have been less than three pages. Two had egregious grammar or spelling mistakes. One listed experience with ESET Antivirus in their skills section for what is basically an infosec job. The one person we're probably going to give the position to is just a default because they're less terrible than any other candidate, not because we think they're particularly well-suited to the job.

If someone submitted a one page resume that wasn't riddled with basic errors they'd go straight to the top of the list.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I'm in a bad way, pushing 40 with zero certs to show and a 3rd shift job doing Security admin stuff - SIEM offenses, DDoS mitigation (mostly automated), AV provisioning, HIDs card admin/physical security

All my previous work history is stuff like NOC and call center work, so not very highly valued.

I'm debating just leaving the industry, but i think that's just because i have no clue as to what i'm to do now and i'm burning out hard with the 3rd shift work.

Goons, what is my best option that doesn't involve uprooting my family and moving to a tech-heavy non-Midwest city?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't enjoy throwing people under the bus, but if you're a client and going off on our team about an ongoing issue and it transpires that at no point in the past two weeks the case has been alive for you've had your outsourced firewall team look at the problem, and it matches exactly a bug our internal team found on Cisco's bug search tool in about five minutes which was fixed three years ago then, yeah. Under the bus you go. :feelsgood:

Also don't continually talk about how it's vital that you comply with a bunch of financial regulations and run a four year old OS on gear that went end of support two years ago.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I'm in a bad way, pushing 40 with zero certs to show and a 3rd shift job doing Security admin stuff - SIEM offenses, DDoS mitigation (mostly automated), AV provisioning, HIDs card admin/physical security

All my previous work history is stuff like NOC and call center work, so not very highly valued.

I'm debating just leaving the industry, but i think that's just because i have no clue as to what i'm to do now and i'm burning out hard with the 3rd shift work.

Goons, what is my best option that doesn't involve uprooting my family and moving to a tech-heavy non-Midwest city?

Well the first thing you could do is to try and get some certs. If you have enough experience, which it sounds like you do, you ought to be able to knock out the CompTIA shitfecta that is A+/N+/Sec+ which may help.

Secondly just start spamming applications out everywhere, hope you can get in somewhere and interview really well. Depending on how rural of an area you live in this may not get you far but hard to say.

Otherwise I'd say if you can afford it picking up and moving to where the jobs are is very much an underrated approach. Yeah its expensive, and yes the cost of living is higher in the cities, but they definitely have more job options and depending on which city you look at you ought to find something that pays higher pretty quickly.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I agree with BaseballPCHicker about the Comptia certs if you want to get certs.

A secondary question to your original post is “what do you want to do in IT or anything else?”. What have you found interesting? Is there a direction you want to go? Development, infrastructure, security? There are pathways for all of those, some more technical than others, but first you need to know what you want, then you can build a path to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The interview went well and I sent a followup thank you email, so hopefully I get that spot and hopefully I'm smart enough to do the job