Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The pie fight from Strangelove only exists because a workprint reel ended up at an archive and the premiere cut of 2001 only because a set of separations were made prior to the recutting.

Criterion’s Blu of Dr. Strangelove does have deleted material if you watch the lengthy exhibitor’s trailer, which has some alternate takes and angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Boooo!

Those old white DVD covers were so simple and good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 19, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The red and black matches the 2001 UHD I guess

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God just give me the official poster art I don't want some Mondo bullshit unless I can chuck the sleeve it comes in!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Every company should be like Scream Factory and put the original poster on the reverse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought I'd check out the blu-ray.com thread about the current Opera release, and it looks to be very long and the usual infighting etc. Anyone able to summarize what went on? I know there was another release by another company (Scorpion) that sounds like it undercut the 'premium' one that went out. Was there nitpicking over the usual mastering stuff with this current one? I just want to watch the damned movie and enjoy it, as it's one that always got by me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is one rare situation where the Best Buy steelbook looks like a better option, at least imo. Simpler is better.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shining-4K-Blu-ray/242655/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boinks posted:

Every company should be like Scream Factory and put the original poster on the reverse.

Vinegar Syndrome does it too. I usually flip the covers because most of them have a slipcover as well, so new art goes on top, but underneath is the OG.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought I'd check out the blu-ray.com thread about the current Opera release, and it looks to be very long and the usual infighting etc. Anyone able to summarize what went on? I know there was another release by another company (Scorpion) that sounds like it undercut the 'premium' one that went out. Was there nitpicking over the usual mastering stuff with this current one? I just want to watch the damned movie and enjoy it, as it's one that always got by me.

From what I can see, Scorpion released both, but they put out a standard 1-disc release last year of the English dubbed version and the one they're releasing this month has multiple cuts, dubs, commentaries, etc. Seems like it started as a Code Red project since Bill Olsen is credited on the back (which explains the hilarious phrasing on the back covers of both editions).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah thank you, yeah I think I was getting confused with Code Red and Scorpion which didn't help.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Goddamn, this might be the most niche release I've ever seen hit the format.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first of that guy's old serial spoofs was a bit of a thing at festivals and what not. I only saw recently that he kept doing them, but it's not that crazy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"I SLEEP NOW" is still how I say goodnight to people when chatting online.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Goddamn, this might be the most niche release I've ever seen hit the format.

I only found out that they did a sequel to The Lost Skeleton of Cadavara about a month ago and I couldn't believe that I didn't hear about it and that it came out ten loving years ago. I absolutely loved the first one.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The first of that guy's old serial spoofs was a bit of a thing at festivals and what not.
I saw the first one in theaters twice, which is something I don't do that often.

Other toofers include The Super Mario Brothers movie (hated it, but I had to take my brother) and, of course, one of the greatest films ever made: Weekend at Bernie's II, which deserves its own 4K Arrow deluxe package with an hour of outtakes of just Barry Bostwick mugging at the camera in-between fat rails of cocaine.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would definitely buy Dark and Stormy Night on Bluray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney just announced 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.... as a Disney Movie Club exclusive. :rolleyes:

They've been sitting on a 4K restoration since 2013 and it's going to be bare-bones despite both the laserdisc and original DVD being absolutely packed with supplements.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney just announced 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.... as a Disney Movie Club exclusive. :rolleyes:

They've been sitting on a 4K restoration since 2013 and it's going to be bare-bones despite both the laserdisc and original DVD being absolutely packed with supplements.

If anyone needs help getting it, I still have a Club membership as it has really good prices on the UHD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Kino Lorber:
Peter Pan (1924, Herbert Brennan) - July 3 (new 2K restoration with orchestral score)
Sweet Charity (1969, Bob Fosse) - July 23 (new 4K restoration with roadshow and alternate cuts, stereo and 5.1 audio)
The Front Page (1974, Billy Wilder) - August 6
A Foreign Affair (1948, Billy Wilder) - August 6
Touchez pas au grisbi (1954, Jacques Becker) - August 13 (new 4K restoration)
Razzia sur la chnouf (1955, Henri Decoin) - August 13 (new 4K restoration
Port of Shadows (1938, Marcel Carne) - August 13 (new 4K restoration)

Cohen Media has also announced Buster Keaton Collection Vol. 2 for July 9 - which includes The Navigator and Sherlock Jr. from new 4K restorations with orchestral scores. However, it doesn't look like any extras are included. Vol. 1 is already out and includes The General and Steamboat Bill Jr, also from new 4K restorations.

Also, the UHD for Apocalypse Now is only $22 and change on Amazon right now. Just a reminder that it does include all three cuts (1979, Redux, and Final Cut) in Dolby Vision and with a new Dolby Atmos mix. All the extras are carried over, including Hearts of Darkness, plus a few new items like a Tribeca Film Festival Q&A.

The Alita: Battle Angel UHD will include both a standard Blu-ray and 3-D Blu-ray.

And Vinegar Syndrome is holding its "Halfway to Black Friday" sale starting this Friday with 50%-off on most releases, plus some exclusives.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why do I need a password to get onto the Vinegar Syndrome website?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Why do I need a password to get onto the Vinegar Syndrome website?
They always take the site down a couple days prior to prep for the big sale, I think that's just the admin login.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I think they're limiting the sale to only people who are members to prevent scalpers/limit traffic? They sent an email out about it a while back and I think that was the gist of it.

e: Oh, maybe not.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

They always take the site down a couple days prior to prep for the big sale, I think that's just the admin login.

Oh. I got some kind of email to set up a password and I did it and that basically said "gently caress you.". So I thought I needed that to get in. Anyway I want that Ice Cream Man blu-ray. But also maybe one of the surprise releases is Tammy and the T-Rex. If not I'm going to start a global boycott against VS.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Oh. I got some kind of email to set up a password and I did it and that basically said "gently caress you.". So I thought I needed that to get in.
That was when they did the website overhaul awhile back, which was unrelated. They just sent the "We're taking it down for maintenance" email yesterday, actually. Note the little password box doesn't even have a login box, just one for the password.

Wanna find out what those secret releases are.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Oh. I got some kind of email to set up a password and I did it and that basically said "gently caress you.". So I thought I needed that to get in. Anyway I want that Ice Cream Man blu-ray. But also maybe one of the surprise releases is Tammy and the T-Rex. If not I'm going to start a global boycott against VS.

I'm guessing you aren't the only one with this issue because now the site reads "admin use only" up the top :)

I think I'm going to grab the two Peneteniary blus, not sure what else. The pissweak Australian dollar means that I'm going to have to be way more selective.

Also, last time I picked up a secret sale title, Deadly Daphne's Revenge, it was just...horrible. Not even enjoyable in a way that Ice Cream Man or other 'bad' films are.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Wanna find out what those secret releases are.

I KNOW WHAT THEY WON'T BE!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
VS sent out an email a couple days ago telling you to verify your logins because the site was going to be taken down for maintenance for the sale. For shame if you don't have a subscription to their email newsletter.

They do this every sale, but I suspect it's mostly a logistics thing, just making sure the slate is clear before the deluge, and reducing the amount of emails from people bitching about how they bought Demonoid and then it was 50% off the next day.

Anyway, because I'm a yearly subscriber they did send me an email, mostly just hyping up the sale, but here's some new information:

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

Now, some of you might have heard about that cryptic sounding 'VSA' concept. You're now going to be the very first to learn what it is. VSA stands for Vinegar Syndrome Archive and it‘s a new sub-line of random titles specifically intended to be sold to brick and mortar retailers and focus on films made during the golden age of direct-to-video sleaze (roughly early 80s through mid 90s). Unlike our regular releases, these films will ONLY be available through our site and actual physical retail stores. NO OTHER ONLINE RETAILERS WILL STOCK THEM and each edition will be hand numbered 2,500 units at a set price of $25 a release and fitted in a specially designed bottom loading VHS inspired hard slipcase. Due to both the sporadic nature of the releases (i.e. we don't know how often we'll be doing them) and low limited edition total, these unfortunately cannot be included with any subscription or monthly package total.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Man I've been staying away from this thread and blu ray buying... but I might have to buy some of those VS releases. Fake VHS tape case sounds sweet

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

quote:

...bottom loading VHS inspired hard slipcase...

So dumb but I love it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
ugh I'm too broke to buy anything during this VS sale, they'd better not release anything too good

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

These just popped up on VS's Youtube. I guess they're the new titles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSPnpkWRjIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5CB2y6qyk

edit: Googling, it looks like MMM already had a store page, but Satan's Slave didn't?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 23, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Disappointed once again.*

*I will never let this go.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't imagine them doing that movie as a secret. It's too big a get, people would be pissed at them.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have Satan's Slave on DVD and it's... okay. Not worth a double dip but it does have Michael Gough in it, so that's cool.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Man Who Laughs and The Last Warning just came in from Flicker Alley.

(It's not windowboxed - the way my Mac does screencaps from Blu-rays adds black on the top and bottom)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Teenage Fansub posted:

These just popped up on VS's Youtube. I guess they're the new titles.

edit: Googling, it looks like MMM already had a store page, but Satan's Slave didn't?

Both of those were announced a while back, there are still two secret Blus, plus whatever the VSA releases are.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hen's Tooth just announced Flesh Gordon for August 27.

New 2K restoration by UCLA and Gamma Ray Digital from the 35mm blow-up negative.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of VS, they announced next month’s releases.

Putney Swope
Taking Tiger Mountain
The Passing
Night Owl

Definitely one of their stronger months.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

Taking Tiger Mountain

This sounds bananas.

https://letterboxd.com/hentaicop/film/taking-tiger-mountain/

The trailer for a restoration project is posted there and it seems to include some newly shot elements (which don't exactly fit well with the original footage.) I wonder if that's what they're putting out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm not even going to read that, because "bananas" is all I need to know.