Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Judge Tesla posted:

Why in all the goddamn is the Underdome DLC so long, five rounds with 5 waves on each of the 3 maps is one thing but who the gently caress thought 20 rounds for the next set was a good idea.

A lot of things about BL1 would make you think it was the creators' first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
To be fair there’s literally no reason to finish off the 20 round tournaments unless you want an achievement

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
This is the general Borderlands thread at the moment, right? (if not please point me in the right direction.)

Just started TPS the other day and I’m trying to get as many challenges as I can as I go. Anybody got any tips for Lava Leap in Crisis Scar? I’ve watched a few different videos - all of which portray more or less the same thing - and I still can’t make it work. :(

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Maybe try a grenade jump? Unequip your grenade mod and throw the basic one at your feet, jump in front of it just before it explodes

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
...I had switched to a turtle shield without realising it. :doh:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That turtle shield got me crushed by a giant wheel in the claptrap DLC, I know how it feels.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I genuinely do not understand how sacrificing movement speed for shield capacity is anywhere near not terrible, it’s not enough capacity that you can facetank so you’ll just end up getting shredded

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Wait. Do turtle shields affect your movement speed? It doesn't say that on the item card, does it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

Wait. Do turtle shields affect your movement speed? It doesn't say that on the item card, does it?

Most don't. There are a couple unique ones that do.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I think the wheel mission is where you get the choice to get the blue rarity shield of ages, which is the best turtle shield in TPS period. I think only the pangolin legendary slows you down, and it's less capacity / larger penalty than the previously mentioned shield.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah fabled tortoise and a seraph I can’t remember the name of slows you down but gives a movement speed bonus while depleted

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

I think the wheel mission is where you get the choice to get the blue rarity shield of ages, which is the best turtle shield in TPS period. I think only the pangolin legendary slows you down, and it's less capacity / larger penalty than the previously mentioned shield.

Shield of Ages is from the wheel quest, the Indiana Jones quest that you get from fish-Tannis in Claptastic Voyage. While there are shields with unique gimmicks that may work a bit better a particular setup, Shield of Ages is always a good choice regardless of your character or build.

(Turtle Shields aren't as good for anyone but Gaige or low-level characters in BL2, because, unlike BLPS, most characters do not have % based shield regen talents.)

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
You guys just reminded me how good Claptastic Voyage was. In my humble opinonion it's the best of all the DLCs for both games, except Tiny Tina's.

Which again reminds of how amazing the music for TT was. Like, listen to this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53CAzh_qCGE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
TPS is underrated, but I do at least understand where people are coming from when they say they hated it. Claptastic Voyage is just plain underrated, period.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

John Murdoch posted:

TPS is underrated, but I do at least understand where people are coming from when they say they hated it. Claptastic Voyage is just plain underrated, period.

It's really gratifying to see the right cues being taken from TPS, like player characters talking to NPCs, and getting actions kills at level 3. And Cryo being retained and even linked to a class.

Its crazy how good Claptastic is, but Dragon Keep actually being a proper study in grief blows my mind.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
TPS was only a disappointment because it could have been so much better if they packed all the same content into DLC for BL2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

You can no longer buy tales from the borderlands on steam due to telltale closing and licenses running out

hopefully it comes because otherwise the only option is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ju_10NkGY

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently 2K is trying to get it back up because it ties into BL3.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
You can still get it on the App Store. I played through it on my phone and it was fine.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I hope it comes back but wouldn’t be the first time a game got lost in the digital decay

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kaysette posted:

You can still get it on the App Store. I played through it on my phone and it was fine.

If it's still on the app store, it won't be for long. All of the Telltale games are retired by the end of the month.

That might change for Tales from the Borderlands, but right now there's been no announcement.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

watho posted:

I hope it comes back but wouldn’t be the first time a game got lost in the digital decay

I just found out the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up is dead on consoles, and that makes me sad ._.

Cease to Hope posted:

If it's still on the app store, it won't be for long. All of the Telltale games are retired by the end of the month.

That might change for Tales from the Borderlands, but right now there's been no announcement.

At least on Android, you can side load APKs easily. I even found one of the old Borderlands mobile game that the internet has all but scrubbed, but it wouldn't work on my tablet. iOS, there is some capability to load non-App Store code, but I think you need to be Jailbroken.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Greenplastic posted:

You guys just reminded me how good Claptastic Voyage was. In my humble opinonion it's the best of all the DLCs for both games, except Tiny Tina's.

John Murdoch posted:

Claptastic Voyage is just plain underrated, period.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Its crazy how good Claptastic is

What do y'all love about it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It was good until you hit Shadowtrap/Eclipse/EOS then it became the worst thing ever.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It has some really great level design. All of the environments are visually inspired, and it tells jokes in the designs of the levels and characters and enemies rather than mugging voiceover. The way the levels are structured gives you insight into Claptrap's character. It also accomplishes the feeling of flying through impossible spaces, mostly without forcing you to do a bunch of lovely platforming. (Some of the sub-subconscious stuff isn't great.)

It's also funny in a way that emerges from the characters, rather than mostly repeating things that are funny in other stories to hope for a laugh of recognition (a lot of Borderlands) or being overwrought soapy nonsense (basically everything with Lilith/Roland, all of Tiny Tina's DLC).

Judge Tesla posted:

It was good until you hit Shadowtrap/Eclipse/EOS then it became the worst thing ever.

I like Eclipse/EOS but it's a marked jump up in difficulty, and the skyscraper-with-guns-on-it boss design is a dramatic departure from the rest of BL. It doesn't help that Eclipse is BUNKR/RK5 on steroids.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Judge Tesla posted:

It is one of the more difficult boss (not raidboss) fights in BL I would say. I first did it with under levelled gear and it was such a grind. After grinding down Eclipse over 30 minutes I was like yessss, and immediately noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo after EOS spawned. Granted EOS is the easier of the two but I wanted to end the game after the Eclipse grind I endured. Anyhow, now that I know better you need to gear out to fight them with at level shock for Eclipse and some sort of spammy dps weapon for EOS. They are fine with very near or at level weapons, in SP. In MP or with underlevelled weapons it will take at least half an hour of grinding them down. If it's your first go do it in SP, I can't stress this enough, the scaling of damage and health on ECLIPSE is a huge joke.

Rinkles posted:

It's really well done. The DLC has interesting map design in a way I've never seen before in BL, new weapon rarity that really changes things, story is pretty good, side missions are well written, the drops are very good (Laser Disker in particular, Shield of Ages, Cheat Code, Glitch Jakobs Quads / Hyperion shotguns). There is also the Thunderdome after you beat the DLC which lets you play with mutators which is pretty nice. The talking busts of your friends talking crap about claptrap is pretty funny too.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The glitch weapons were genius and helped breathe new life into the standard spawning weapons by essentially making each one a legendary. One thing I don't like though is that some of the best weapons of that DLC can only be gotten right at the end of the playthrough, such as the amazing Kaneda's Laser.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Most of it's been covered, but also I'd add that I'm a total sucker for that TRON aesthetic.

The TK Baha side quest is peak :unsmith:

The only things I hated were the final boss being a nightmare to deal with and a certain side quest has weird homophobic/transphobic undertones.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 25, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

watho posted:

at this point, just pirate it imo. the only people that are going to see any cash from sales now had nothing to do with making it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So did Zer0 have a change in voice actor between base game BL2 and the headhunter DLCs? I played Son of Crawmerax and he sounded different. But I also played Tales from the Borderlands where Telltale's laziness hosed up his voice synthesizer and it sounded like the original VA without the reverb. Was Zer0's VA just not available when they did Son of Crawmerax?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So did Zer0 have a change in voice actor between base game BL2 and the headhunter DLCs? I played Son of Crawmerax and he sounded different. But I also played Tales from the Borderlands where Telltale's laziness hosed up his voice synthesizer and it sounded like the original VA without the reverb. Was Zer0's VA just not available when they did Son of Crawmerax?

The VA probably did change - Gearbox have been total scumbags and deliberately avoided unionized actors for 3, so many reoccurring characters are voiced differently this time

Kill the rich

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The VA probably did change - Gearbox have been total scumbags and deliberately avoided unionized actors for 3, so many reoccurring characters are voiced differently this time

Kill the rich
But... Ashley Burch is union?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DaveKap posted:

But... Ashley Burch is union?

They’re way less likely to get away with changing Ashly Burch than they are the others given how closely Tina is tied to her as a person.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I mean they're not going to avoid all union actors, just the ones who they can get away with/won't be as much as a fuss.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The voice cast will be mostly the Funimation crew plus Ashly Burch and a few others.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Chris Rager has all but confirmed he's back as Mr. Torgue Flexington.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Rager confirmed he's going to be in Borderlands 3, I thought.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1132457092743352321?s=21

(I didn't watch the video, it's supposed to feature a cat being hurt by a crab)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a lotta dissembling bullshit just to say "is anyone else besides me an rear end in a top hat who laughed at a cat getting pinched by a crab?"

Randy should give up the CEO gig and get a job writing the headlines for police shootings.