Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Viscous Soda posted:

Honestly I think it coulda worked, it just hit at exactly the wrong time IMO. When you look at the pitch, a inexpensive dedicated android gaming box geared towards indie games, on the surface it seemed plausible. However while the Ouya was finalizing, Android sticks and TV boxes were just hitting their stride. By the time it came out you could grab something off of Aliexpress cheaper and sometimes with better hardware (you definitely can now). Add to that Ouya's failure to get exclusive (or even compelling) games and the mediocre controller, it basically made it dead on launch. About the only thing it did competently was being a emulation box, but any of those Aliexpress specials could do that too.

Still I would pick one up for :20bux: or so if I saw one, just because I could use it as a cheapo emulator box.

The failure to get any good games was managerial, I think, in that the crowdfunding was so successful they didn't think they needed any actual compelling reason to market the thing other than, "Hey, you people already think this is cool! Buy it!" The CEO's general cluelessness about gaming outside of Angry Birds and other mobile hits of the day was astounding. The same factors figured into the mess that was the controller as well, I suspect -- they were calling it the Stradivarius of controller pre-release, for crying out loud.

But as you say outside factors did them in as well. The rise of Candy Crush and freemium pretty much did in Android as a gaming platform that people could take seriously, however fair that assessment is (somewhat but not totally, I reckon).

I gotta run, if someone can spot me the taxxe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I have tons of poo poo going on, it's all a bit full on but really cool

:ohdear: get well, seriously now!

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Brief post:

Had lunch with an ex-designer from the Squadron 42 studio today. But nothing groundbreaking to say other then to continue to confirm what is known

-Endlessly frustrated after a year of everything on that game changing over and over again, leading to all the work needing to be constantly scrapped or reworked. He left in total frustration

-Massive attrition constantly occurring every month

-Liked Erin but said he is a slave to his brothers insanity

-75% of the studios time is pulled to help make assets and movies with the other studios, to sell to whales

-Sandi is a very frightening woman and the studio is told in advance to just sit quietly and act really busy when she would visit. Do not even say hi to her or make eye contact. Its safer to be anonymous. Chris would be a bit more chatty but would talk down to people and handlers would usher him away if you talked for more then a few minutes.

-Did not believe the game was a pure scam at the start, just that it morphed into an unachievable product (because chris) and everyone knows that. Staff is mostly first timers who just need jobs but can’t get hired at better places.

-Chris has some odd shoelace fetish and stopped production, for a few weeks, with a large portion of the art team who needed to make them all scratch again on every boot

-Arena commander was made purely to help whales “believe” and get more funding

- Ex Designer had never heard of Derek Smart. Studio was encouraged to stay out of forums. Especially Reddit

-Did not have to sign any legally binding gag contracts when he left. Was free talk about it if he wanted but just didn’t care enough to talk in forums. Said it was just sad and depressing there and felt bad for the guys who had to remain because of no prospects elsewhere.

-Even with the switch to Lumberyard, the engine is not enough (and probably never will be) to make the MMO game that chris wants - but would be capable of making sq42 if chris ever reigned it into a scope that was possible

-Never provided any design direction to the sq42 team for mechanics or gameplay, And Is perceived as completely uneducated on game development

-Did make one joke at lunch and said “but in the end it will all be okay, because chris will code it”

There’s more but its all just blah blah blah stuff that the forum already knows. It just confirms it again

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I guess I could click around and figure out what the hell he’s referring to in this weaboo word salad, but I’d like to keep my sanity.

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

The Ouya looks like such a joke in retrospect that it's hard to imagine how seriously it was taken at the time. But with the success first of the Wii, then mobile games, people genuinely thought that traditional game consoles were on their way out. I mean, EA even made Bioware put the newest Dragon Age on last-gen consoles because they were worried about sales of the new models. It even has a legacy of sorts in that it helped to encourage Sony to finally embrace indie gaming wholesale. It's stuff like this that makes the history of technology so fascinating. The oddest gadgets can have so much significance.

Yeah at that time everyone in the industry seemed to have bought into the media hype that no one wanted a traditional console/pc experience anymore. Even though there was really no evidence for it. It’s also a big reason why Sony and MS cheapened out on the current-gen hardware so badly.

The video game industry always seems stuck in the same trap, they think that because one thing is successful (mobile games, multiplayer FPS, lite-MMO looter-shooters etc...) that’s all gamers will ever want in perpetuity. So you just have endless trend chasing were every major publisher dog piles onto some idea, until there are multiple big flops like Anthem and Fallout 76. You’re not going to get everyone who bought Destiny to buy 10 clones of it while also expanding your audience. You’re only going to canabalize that original customer base with diminishing returns, while underserving other groups of gamers.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Mne nravitsya posted:

-Chris has some odd shoelace fetish and stopped production, for a few weeks, with a large portion of the art team who needed to make them all scratch again on every boot

Can confirm. Note the odd hotdog-bun shoes he was spotted wearing in the recent greenscreen pics.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mne nravitsya posted:

Brief post:

Had lunch with an ex-designer from the Squadron 42 studio today. But nothing groundbreaking to say other then to continue to confirm what is known

-Endlessly frustrated after a year of everything on that game changing over and over again, leading to all the work needing to be constantly scrapped or reworked. He left in total frustration

-75% of the studios time is pulled to help make assets and movies with the other studios, to sell to whales

-Sandi is a very frightening woman and the studio is told in advance to just sit quietly and act really busy when she would visit. Do not even say hi to her or make eye contact. Its safer to be anonymous. Chris would be a bit more chatty but would talk down to people and handlers would usher him away if you talked for more then a few minutes.

-Did not believe the game was a pure scam at the start, just that it morphed into an unachievable product (because chris) and everyone knows that. Staff is mostly first timers who just need jobs but can’t get hired at better places.

- Ex Designer had never heard of Derek Smart. Studio was encouraged to stay out of forums. Especially Reddit

-Did not have to sign any legally binding gag contracts when he left. Was free talk about it if he wanted but just didn’t care enough to talk in forums. Said it was just sad and depressing there and felt bad for the guys who had to remain because of no prospects elsewhere.

-Even with the switch to Lumberyard, the engine is not enough (and probably never will be) to make the MMO game that chris wants - but would be capable of making sq42 if chris ever reigned it into a scope that was possible

-Never provided any design direction to the sq42 team for mechanics or gameplay, And Is perceived as completely uneducated on game development

-Did make one joke at lunch and said “but in the end it will all be okay, because chris will code it”

There’s more but its all just blah blah blah stuff that the forum already knows. It just confirms it again

1) That is not brief

2) You're not The Agent

3) Spicy!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I gotta run, if someone can spot me the taxxe.

I hear melons are all the rage these days.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That is the best promo video i've ever seen for SC!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Not because FD is bad (they are)

Suck my tiny flaccid pee pee.

But i tend to agree with the rest of your post.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Agony Aunt posted:

I hear melons are all the rage these days.

I was at the market the other day and saw a pallet of watermelons, started laughing, the wife asked why, I said we just survived a WMD, she called me an idiot.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The grizzled war torn veteran on the thumbnail piqued my interest, but mr scarface only talked for a few seconds. It was mainly the hobo, a teenage boy and a young lady talking. CR pops on to convince people to subscribe.

Note how CR doesn't appear much these days? I'm betting that is the Calder board members keeping a right rein on him. "No Chris, you can't go on video and promise a dozen new things to backers"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeytek posted:

she called me an idiot.

Don't worry, happens to me all the time. Our wives just know us too well.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

loving melons slowing the page down, someone patch that poo poo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Aparently some are saying its due to the cold.

How someone goes from running at full speed to suddenly just leaning backwards and slowly dropping into the water due to cold is a bit beyond me, but i probably don't understand fidelity development.

Yeah, you'd freeze fairly solid from contact with something with that much heat capacity, rather than gently ragdoll after few seconds.

Sandworm jizz is no joke.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

I'm glad that funny MoMA has account control again

not empty quoting

welcome back, fun MoMA :glomp:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ouya looks like such a joke in retrospect that it's hard to imagine how seriously it was taken at the time.

Amusingly Julie Uhrman is the Director of Media at Playboy.

Viscous Soda posted:

Honestly I think it coulda worked, it just hit at exactly the wrong time IMO.

Not really, everything about it was underpowered, they were going to produce the 'Stradivarious of controllers' with a fraction of the budget of Sony/Microsoft, the enclosure design had terrible airflow, and one of their biggest ideas was a 'root button', which turns out to have been merely the intersection of two words.

Don't look back on that piece of poo poo with nostalgia. And for people that remember the thread from the start, "redtube".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Don't worry, happens to me all the time. Our wives just know us too well.

Apparently it's one of my most endearing features. I'm not sure if it was a compliment.

Mne nravitsya posted:

I think we got a glimpse of that when her scene was cut from the film. I'm not surprised that the talent is toxic, however. How the gently caress do you start that connected and not actually turn that into roles?

I have a theory.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Melons are no joke.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

1) That is not brief

2) You're not The Agent

3) Spicy!

1) Brief compared to our conversation

2) I am not the agent

3) To add a little spice, the character team has quit en masse once, and a second 75% masse in the last 4 years at the England studio are in a constant state of rollovers with replacements

-Lumberyard have dropped CIG as a tier 1 preferred studio because they no longer believe it will be something that will bring the engine/amazon any future credibility. Are now betting on a couple other developers.

-No one in the studio has any clue on how chris has pulled off the funding windfall either

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mne nravitsya posted:

2) I am not the agent

3) To add a little spice, the character team has quit en masse once, and a second 75% masse in the last 4 years at the England studio are in a constant state of rollovers with replacements

-Lumberyard have dropped CIG as a tier 1 preferred studio because they no longer believe it will be something that will bring the engine/amazon any future credibility. Are now betting on a couple other developers.

-No one in the studio has any clue on how chris has pulled off the funding windfall either

Now that’s the stuff.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

monkeytek posted:

I was at the market the other day and saw a pallet of watermelons, started laughing, the wife asked why, I said we just survived a WMD, she called me an idiot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's cabbage. Big difference.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Chris diverting resources to make movies? Say it ain't so!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Ouya looks like such a joke in retrospect that it's hard to imagine how seriously it was taken at the time. But with the success first of the Wii, then mobile games, people genuinely thought that traditional game consoles were on their way out. I mean, EA even made Bioware put the newest Dragon Age on last-gen consoles because they were worried about sales of the new models. It even has a legacy of sorts in that it helped to encourage Sony to finally embrace indie gaming wholesale. It's stuff like this that makes the history of technology so fascinating. The oddest gadgets can have so much significance.

Alternatively, everything you mentioned was happening regardless, and the Ouya has no historical significance or legacy beyond being the product of a few slimy people who recognized an opportunity to grift on that wave of irrational exuberance about Kickstarted indie gaming. All they ever accomplished technically was to shove a lovely android reference design in a badly designed box and make a really lovely controller. Their software was even worse than that and their developer relations quickly alienated all third party devs with real experience, leaving them with a launch library that had zero exclusives of any quality, and tons of absolute garbage from naive hopeful first timers who’d been led to believe they were part of a revolution and saw the Ouya as their shining opportunity to become Game Devs.

If anyone at a place like Sony felt any fear, it could only have been an incredibly out of touch upper level exec. (Until they got briefed about what a shitshow Ouya was by an underling.)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1120242924661432320
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1131203407681916929

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mne nravitsya posted:

I'm beginning to wonder about that as well.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

I'm beginning to wonder about that as well.

It's very simple: having a lot of money does not make you good at investing.

Having a father who has a lot of money actually seems to make you extremely bad at it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mne nravitsya posted:

Brief post:

Some good info and I hope people still expecting anything will be aware of the pipe dream.

Thank you friend! :hfive:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
In a shock turn of events, here are some bugs:

BULLETS COME OUT THE BACK OF THE WEAPON

quote:

EXPECTED RESULT

I should only see bullets going out of the front of my SMG

HELMET BECOMES LARGER AFTER EQUIPPING IT

PROSPECTOR - BED ISSUE - (POSSIBLY SERVER RELATED)

quote:

Get into bed

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

The character is now getting teleported into the pilot seat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mne nravitsya posted:

2) I am not the agent

Ooh.

I wonder if they'll just go back to CryTek. :allears:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

If anyone is curious what mining looks like in Star Citizen these days, here's a good video. Interesting part starts at 13 minutes in. And by interesting I mean it's as dull as watching paint dry.

Some bullet points:
* This is probably the most mechanically advanced single system in the whole game and it is, essentially, Elite's system with extra widgets
* Large parts of the UI are broken or incomprehensible
* The entire process is completely dependent on your ship's ability to hover in a noclip mode. This is one of many reasons they can't actually fix the flight model. Watch him literally spin his ship around like a free cam.
* You can only mine in this one ship, and it costs 180 dollars. You pay three times the price of a full AAA game for this experience.
* In the 16 minutes I watched, he didn't find a single rock worth actually mining.
* Eventually his HUD breaks and he can't even scan the rocks anymore.
* He "Cracks" his first rock at 34:11 and the game just shits itself
* At 45 minutes he just gives up and starts farming worthless trash rocks just to show any kind of actual harvesting
* Star Citizenship should be classified as a mental disability, the kind where you lose control of your financial decisions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwxVSHgv64&t=830s

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 24, 2019

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

There's got to be something better than asking for me when you wake up.

Today we got funny MoMA.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

It's very simple: having a lot of money does not make you good at investing.

Having a father who has a lot of money actually seems to make you extremely bad at it.

No, it's more that a valuation of the company at twice the money take raises the value into the realms of 'what were they thinking', and effectively increase the stake in the final reckoning. 10% of $460 Million is 46 Million. If the corporation ends up evaluated at $200 Million, the stake is 23%. I mean, these guys could really believe that it's the next gaming revolution, and that they'll realise Meeeellions from the shipping of a game that the entire installed base _owns_ already, but that's massively naive.

Or there's another vector behind this. Bear in mind that it's not Calder Jr on the board, it's their lawyer.

Edit: If I was a suspicious person, I'd view the dumping of a certain amount of money into a family trust held property as a safe harbor against an exit. Happily, I'm not, so should I just buy one Idris or get a couple for the weekend?

Hav fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 24, 2019

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hav posted:

Apparently it's one of my most endearing features. I'm not sure if it was a compliment.

People that behave in predictable ways are comfortable. As long as it's not predictably buying jpegs and neglecting children.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

People that behave in predictable ways are comfortable. As long as it's not predictably buying jpegs and neglecting children.

Ixnae on the Idrisae, then. And the second makes me catatonic with rage.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

No, it's more that a valuation of the company at twice the money take raises the value into the realms of 'what were they thinking', and effectively increase the stake in the final reckoning. 10% of $460 Million is 46 Million. If the corporation ends up evaluated at $200 Million, the stake is 23%. I mean, these guys could really believe that it's the next gaming revolution, and that they'll realise Meeeellions from the shipping of a game that the entire installed base _owns_ already, but that's massively naive.

Or there's another vector behind this. Bear in mind that it's not Calder Jr on the board, it's their lawyer.

Edit: If I was a suspicious person, I'd view the dumping of a certain amount of money into a family trust held property as a safe harbor against an exit. Happily, I'm not, so should I just buy one Idris or get a couple for the weekend?

What's the end game for the Calders in that scenario though? 23% of some sweat-discoloured keyboards and a toxic IP doesn't sound like profit.

e: World's best whale list? Baby's first mobile game factory? Sizzle reels for the Sichuan market?

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 24, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Pixelate posted:

What's the end game for the Calders in that scenario though? 23% of some sweat-discoloured keyboards and a toxic IP doesn't sound like profit.

e: World's best whale list? Baby's first mobile game factory? Sizzle reels for the Sichuan market?

Keith gets a mocap studio for his next direct-to-streaming horror movie.

Step aside Full Moon!

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Looks like our bro is going on an edgy Jordan Peterson kick with his profile picture and bio. Some straight high school action up in his Twitter feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

There's got to be something better than asking for me when you wake up.

:thurman: