Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

alphabettitouretti posted:

Season 3 of Slasher is out today. First two were a trashy good time with some gnarly gore.

I'm a couple episodes in and already enjoying myself. I'll probably finish it by the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Does The Exorcist show have a conclusion or did they just cancel it and leave it hanging? I'm interested but I don't want to get into it if it doesn't have a conclusion.

Each season has a standalone possession story that gets resolved. There's a broader story with the exorcists and demon conspiracies and the Vatican and poo poo and some of that is left dangling, but I think the big conspiracy stuff gets resolved so there's nothing really cliffhangerish. Its more "the story goes on", I think.

Iron Crowned posted:

I loving love The Ward.

I love Carpenter and even enjoy most of his bad/mediocre stuff, but for some reason I've watched The Ward three times and can't remember a thing about it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I really should keep my mouth shut so as to stay motivated, but I'm working on two fan edits of horror movies.

One of which is making a single cohesive film out of Friday the 13th's Parts 1-4.

I plan to have it done and posted in this thread for everyone to watch by Friday the 13th (September).

I've been working on it and I've found some pretty cool stuff to do with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

I really should keep my mouth shut so as to stay motivated, but I'm working on two fan edits of horror movies.

One of which is making a single cohesive film out of Friday the 13th's Parts 1-4.

I plan to have it done and posted in this thread for everyone to watch by Friday the 13th (September).

I love you

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should mention the other edit I'm working on is the original Nosferatu.

I can't really say how I'm re-editing it, but I'll say that the intention is to make it as terrifying as possible for modern audiences, and I was freaking myself out with one of the sequences.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

I love you

Aw, thank you!

I guess I should also put this out there for some extra help

If anyone finds good quality footage of deleted scenes from Friday the 13th Parts 1-4, please send them to me on Discord or PM me or tell me in here. That includes extended gore sequences. I could even use high quality pics of deleted scenes, footage, etc. Like the double impalement in Part 2.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I was going to edit an infinity loop into one of the first Fridays, there's a really goofy flashback at the beginning of one that flashes back to like 10/15 minutes prior that makes for a great anchor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origami Dali posted:

This Carpenter talk reminded me I needed to check out Cigarette Burns and drat what a mess. Norman Reedus is atrocious in this.

This is a very poser post.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ruddiger posted:

I was going to edit an infinity loop into one of the first Fridays, there's a really goofy flashback at the beginning of one that flashes back to like 10/15 minutes prior that makes for a great anchor.

Please do this. I would love to see how long a person watches before they realize what's happening.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

This is a very poser post.

He's right because, Norman Reedus is atrocious in everything.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Iron Crowned posted:

He's right because, Norman Reedus is atrocious in everything.

Blade 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

He's actually not particularly good in Blade 2 either. His whole "I'm a FAMILIAR! gently caress you Dad!!!!" thing was pretty bad.

He was good for a few seasons of The Walking Dead though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

He's actually not particularly good in Blade 2 either. His whole "I'm a FAMILIAR! gently caress you Dad!!!!" thing was pretty bad.

He was good for a few seasons of The Walking Dead though.

Probably just because he was drawing direct comparisons to the other people on that show. Once they offed Rooker and Bernthal it got pretty dire

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'm a couple episodes in and already enjoying myself. I'll probably finish it by the end of the day.

I appreciate how they have immediately presented a bunch of despicable a-holes as fodder for the killer to messily dispatch. Its not in the least bit subtle but it is fun af.

It's also great at showing characters handling potentially dangerous equipment which ends up being used to mulch them later on. The second season was especially great for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only reason he was good in TWD was because his character wasn’t incredibly stupid so people latched on to him.

Remember “if Daryl dies we riot”
Lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's got a demeanor that people like, and I can sympathize because I kind of feel the same way myself. I wouldn't call him a particularly talented actor though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

The only reason he was good in TWD was because his character wasn’t incredibly stupid so people latched on to him.

Remember “if Daryl dies we riot”
Lmao

I remember I was posting in the show thread about how I was going to stop watching for good if Glenn died. People were absolutely baffled by this and mocking me for it, but I was like uhh yea sorry but all of the decently written characters who aren't played by terrible actors are gone, excuse me if I'd like to bow out once the one character arc I still kinda care about is abruptly and randomly cut off.

Anyway, the scene went how it went and I never watched another episode, best t.v. viewing decision I ever made.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I stopped around where I stopped reading the comics. The part after the governor arc when they get to the new town and Rick is hiding guns and stuff. It just got dull to me. Apparently now there’s a medieval kingdom or something? Also they’re making three (!) movies about Rick, and have a second spinoff series in the works. Who is going to watch all that?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I made it about halfway through season 4. I enjoyed it well enough up until then but 4 felt like a complete rehash of the previous season only worse in every way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I stopped TWD at the end of that season which started with 5 episodes of everyone jogging around to corral the zombies.

That's actually the only thing I remember about that season other than it ended with Sam and Dean Winchester's dad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I tapped out last season. Or the season before? I don't really know. I'm not against catching up on Netflix if the mood hits me but I spent enough time watching Walking Dead weekly. I'm not even super critical of the show. I think it does what its trying to do well. I just had enough of it.

Fear the Walking Dead is really uneven and like it has really terrible seasons and then really great seasons. Its a weird show.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I just remembered how bad Andrew Lincoln’s American southern accent is.

“Caaaaaaaoooorl! 🤠”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always watch it whenever it pops up on Netflix and I I've regretted it for years lol.

Tbh I can't even remember when the show got terrible. It was never good but at least at one point it was entertaining and had nice production values. Most of the series is just a blur to me at this point. The first season was the only one I remember actively liking. It's not even entertaining anymore. But once it's free it's like "alright let's see what these morons are up to this season"

Negan is legit one of the worst characters in TV history.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I always watch it whenever it pops up on Netflix and I I've regretted it for years lol.

Tbh I can't even remember when the show got terrible. It was never good but at least at one point it was entertaining and had nice production values. Most of the series is just a blur to me at this point. The first season was the only one I remember actively liking.

It's not even entertaining anymore.

It wasn't obvious in the moment but I think in hindsight the show started it's steady decline once Shane was out of the picture and the Shane/Rick thing was concluded.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It wasn't obvious in the moment but I think in hindsight the show started it's steady decline once Shane was out of the picture and the Shane/Rick thing was concluded.

that’s when Frank Darabont left too right?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having now watched all the Friday the 13th movies, here's my hot take - Jason X and FvJ are the most entertaining ones, Part 4 is the "best" but it's still mostly boring with only a couple of scenes sticking out in my mind not even two weeks later. I couldn't even finish 5 or 6. Chucky>Jason

I will forever stan that one shot in part 4 where the victim is getting her bike ready in the rain, the camera keeps rolling past her to focus on a window and we only see the kill happen im silhouette. It was a bizarrely inspired shot for the series

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 23, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Still salty that AMC cuts Monsterfest short now to run a stupid TWD marathon. gently caress that show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't agree with that but I can understand it. Lots of people attached themselves to Shane based on his "we have to do what we have to do to survive in this new world" philosophy vs Rick's "we have to be true to ourselves and the values of our old world" philosophy. It didn't batter that Shane was a bad dude and a murderer, they agreed with him over Rick. Once Shane was gone he effectively got replaced by increasingly more evil and borderline cartoonish versions of "we do what what we have to do" to combat Rick so those Shane fans couldn't connect in the same way and saw it as derivative and cartoonish. Then Rick eventually accepted to some extent "the old world is dead and some of our values have to go" and the show kind of became a tug of war between different protagonist characters pulling each other from one side or the other of that philosophical debate.

Like I said, I think TWD does it reasonably well for the genre of "melodramatic depression zombie drama". It just eventually grew tired of the philosophical debate, as every sane person eventually does for any philosophical debate. Some people just had way less tolerance for it or were more set to one side and didn't like how it was being played.

TheKingslayer posted:

Still salty that AMC cuts Monsterfest short now to run a stupid TWD marathon. gently caress that show.

Monsterfest hasn't been Monsterfest since they started making Piñata: Survival Island a showcase of it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

That’s how long the comic was decent too, until the artist switch. Of course it was, likewise, never great because Kirkman is just such a nothing writer

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think more than anything a cinematic quality, super bleak zombie show had a ton of appeal when it showed up. Most non HBO TV at the time was still pretty bad and Zombies hadn't really saturated the TV market yet. In retrospect it seems to me like it was mostly a right place, right time thing. Even the Shane/Rick thing was tedious well before it was over.

The show has also just gotten noticeably cheaper, lazier and all around crappier over time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TWD definitely did benefit from debuting at the peak of the AMC/HBO "prestige television" era and right before the "Netflix/Prime/Hulu originals and binge" era where it wouldn't have stood out near as much in tone or cinematic quality.

Of course TWD was sincerely a big enough deal that its worth considering that it played some part in influencing the stuff that followed.

Life is timing.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pomp posted:

I couldn't even finish 5 or 6.

I’m afraid we can’t be friends

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp posted:

Chucky>Jason

Blasphemy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chunky has like, one not good movie, and one weird but fun movie.

Jason has at least 3 heinous pieces of poo poo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think he’s second tier, he wasn’t even scary to me when I was 9. The first movie’s good and there’s some campy fun in there but I’m not the biggest fan really. I don’t even know how he manages to kill his victims half the time.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The slasher Beatles are Michael, Freddy, Ghostface and Jason. Chucky is slasher Eric Clapton. Leatherface is slasher Stuart Suttcliffe and the guy from The Mutilator is slasher Pete Best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I think he’s second tier, he wasn’t even scary to me when I was 9. The first movie’s good and there’s some campy fun in there but I’m not the biggest fan really. I don’t even know how he manages to kill his victims half the time.

He has regular human strength in that tiny body. That would be harder than actually going against Charles Lee Ray.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

that’s when Frank Darabont left too right?

Darabont left after season 1.

The first episode and a few other random singular episodes scattered about are the only really good episodes of that show. I bowed out after the big war where they ran into an open field surrounded by guns.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I can't even remember when the show got terrible.

I think the season with the farm where they spent the whole season looking for a character that was in the barn the whole time. Spinning it's wheels. Had some bright parts like the Governor that came after, but then tried to replicate that by having every character get explained after he or she was dead or was going to die that episode. I remember Chad Fuckwick or whatever his name was on The Talking Dead telling the actor who played Tyrone that his standard claw hammer was "like Thor's hammer to the fans!" loving lol

Best part of Chucky is Brad Dourif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

The slasher Beatles are Michael, Freddy, Ghostface and Jason. Chucky is slasher Eric Clapton. Leatherface is slasher Stuart Suttcliffe and the guy from The Mutilator is slasher Pete Best.

Art the Clown is Serj Tankian.