Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Isn't something like this working as intended? A faction that knows it is about to get crushed by you seeks help from your enemy and is willing to exchange sovereignty for being protected.

i can understand why, but its not fun if the guy vassalizing them is my own ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Davincie posted:

i can understand why, but its not fun if the guy vassalizing them is my own ally

Seems like your "ally" is cruisin for a bruisin

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Hell I just went back in and crushed Liu Yu (and his wife/daughter made a suicide run with 8 cavalry horses...no survivors), and Gongsun’s own cousins(!) got pissed and declared war on me next turn. They were trying to help and relations were high, but I guess he didn’t like being sandwiched between me.

My garrison actually took out half his forces and he just sacked us to retreat to his province that I was heading for. Gongsun Du and Gongsung Kang...have chosen poorly

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

It is better to betray the world than be betrayed by it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Seems like your "ally" is cruisin for a bruisin

dont worry, he and my other 2 allies declared war on me and took my stuff while all my troops were far away campaigning

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really really hate the vassal swarm bullshit in this game. It's otherwise fantastic but the vassal stuff is out of control. It also really sucks because I can't do it. The game tells me I need to be king rank to make vassals and as far as I can tell no ai is king rank but two major powers are getting tons of vassals.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

depends on the character type, I'm pretty sure the warlords can start making vassals at whatever rank 3 is called (the one before duke, at least)

I do think factions are swearing vassalage a little too quickly atm, I've seen yuan shao vassalize cao cao and liu bei at the same time before

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Davincie posted:

dont worry, he and my other 2 allies declared war on me and took my stuff while all my troops were far away campaigning

That sounds very much like something that would happen in the novel.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How do the siege tunnels work? I built some and started the battle but didn't see anything. The city walls were already broken in one place so I just charged through there instead.

Really enjoying this. I am managing to keep track of characters better than I could in CK2, where I would just constantly forget who everyone was. Love the battle loading screens showing your little superhero general lineup.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cheesetriangles posted:

I really really hate the vassal swarm bullshit in this game. It's otherwise fantastic but the vassal stuff is out of control. It also really sucks because I can't do it. The game tells me I need to be king rank to make vassals and as far as I can tell no ai is king rank but two major powers are getting tons of vassals.

I'm stuck at work so I haven't gotten a chance to play yet. How often do vassals break their vassalage and rebel? It seems like lots of vassalage occurring would be okay if they ended up breaking it frequently.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm stuck at work so I haven't gotten a chance to play yet. How often do vassals break their vassalage and rebel? It seems like lots of vassalage occurring would be okay if they ended up breaking it frequently.

I haven't seen any rebel. Characters on the other side of the map and could be major powers on their own right are swearing as vassals and never rebel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

fuf posted:

How do the siege tunnels work? I built some and started the battle but didn't see anything. The city walls were already broken in one place so I just charged through there instead.

...That's how they work. Sappers dig tunnels beneath walls and collapse them. Usually with explosives but I guess they didn't have those back then. The hole in the wall is from the tunneling.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone else think the unit detail distance is very low even on ultra settings? Everyone not right infront the camera looks like solid blocks of their faction color.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Everyone wants this clay pig, it's more important than the jade seal.

How do I tell who will get on and be friends without having to get them to rub up against each other? How important is it? Cao Cao hates the Xiahous and they hate him but by trucking around they get on, so if you just keep people active they'll not stab and poetry slam each other to hell?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

That's what they do. Make holes for you to charge in through.

On an unrelated note, holy gently caress to unshielded units melt to ranged fire. Then shielded ones can mostly ignore focus fire from several units of archers. Dunno if it's historical but I've gotten rid of any melee units without shields, they just take ridiculous casualties.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EthanSteele posted:

Everyone wants this clay pig, it's more important than the jade seal.

How do I tell who will get on and be friends without having to get them to rub up against each other? How important is it? Cao Cao hates the Xiahous and they hate him but by trucking around they get on, so if you just keep people active they'll not stab and poetry slam each other to hell?

Certain traits make people like or dislike each other. Kind likes kind and honest, but hates cruel. Clumsy and careless bro out over being chucklefucks. All the ones I've seen are pretty intuitive as to what they like or dislike.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Done for the evening, got up to Marquis as Kong Rong. Enjoying it, but I've just drafted my second proper army and my economy has tanked as a result. Still trying to get my head round the new building chains.

Also Public Order is weird. I'm always losing it but my provinces are also always 60+ regardless.

Also ranged units seem amazing. Maybe it's just going up against the AI, but my units are averaging 200-300 kills on Ultra.

Also, get flaming shots on Trebuchets, they're amazing :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 23, 2019

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Certain traits make people like or dislike each other. Kind likes kind and honest, but hates cruel. Clumsy and careless bro out over being chucklefucks. All the ones I've seen are pretty intuitive as to what they like or dislike.

Ah! I get what traits it means now, drat thanks!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fatigue on cavalry is really heavy in this game. You can't kite people like a maniac anymore.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Depending on how strong the vassalizer is, sometimes they just nope out if you declare war on their vassals.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If the battle camera feels too locked in for anyone else, don't forget/did you know you can turn on the debug camera? Basically it lets you zoom the camera freely, including under the floor but more importantly high enough to see way more of the battle. It's way better imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyNyA9782TA

Works the same in this game except you go to the 3K folder not the Warhammer folder ofc.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mantis42 posted:

...That's how they work. Sappers dig tunnels beneath walls and collapse them. Usually with explosives but I guess they didn't have those back then. The hole in the wall is from the tunneling.

Oh haha, I thought my guys were gonna pop out of a tunnel in the middle of the city or something :shobon:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how exactly do i use liu beis points to steal cities?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Davincie posted:

how exactly do i use liu beis points to steal cities?

When you attack Han settlements, there's an option to Annex.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I impulse-purchased Three Kingdoms because I am a big fan of that historical period but I have never played a Total War game before. Any beginner tips?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

strange, i didnt have the option

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So is there a trick to replenishment or am I really going to have to spend the next 13 turns just hitting end turn, while sitting in my faction capital?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VolticSurge posted:

So, I impulse-purchased Three Kingdoms because I am a big fan of that historical period but I have never played a Total War game before. Any beginner tips?

Moving your men in battle is a hassle until you learn to use the alt button when you click and drag stuff.

There's a bunch of weird keyboard shortcuts they assume every player already knows and so never explain.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Duggler posted:

So is there a trick to replenishment or am I really going to have to spend the next 13 turns just hitting end turn, while sitting in my faction capital?

its higher if you have good supplies and are in a place with gifh popoulation

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Have you played other 4X games before?

I liked Civ 5 and 6 and felt like choices in that made some actual difference. This definitely follow in the line of pointless trade agreements that those games had though

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Watching a million youtube tutorial videos seems like the only way to go

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Duggler posted:

There's a reform with +10% replenishment on the bottom-central section of the tree. You have to spend 5 or so reforms before you get to it but it's a good idea to beeline early because it's a huge boost in your ability to sustain campaigns.

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

Just gave up on a Kong Rong campaign, Yellow Turban faction gets destroyed but they very next turn they show in my capital as a rebellion. I had positive 44 public order. They didn't need to muster or anything, full army of 2000+ trashy peasant units. Cool thing is I siege the city they take over which starts a disease outbreak in my own army. I get a choice on spending 100 gold for medicine, something else, OR spend 1000 gold to cure my army and throw some dirty bandages over the wall to spread the plague in the city. So I just starved them out and butchered them in 3 turns when they were down to about 1/4 hp.

Also the black mountain bandit dude ambushed me like 3 times in a row, even pulled his garrison from town into one.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Davincie posted:

its higher if you have good supplies and are in a place with gifh popoulation

Zurai posted:

There's a reform with +10% replenishment on the bottom-central section of the tree. You have to spend 5 or so reforms before you get to it but it's a good idea to beeline early because it's a huge boost in your ability to sustain campaigns.

Thanks. If I knew that it would take long to replace men I would have withdrawn from my last battle earlier than I did. I could have easily ganked their army leader in a duel and then just ran away. Ended up just saving Sun Jian.

How can I tell which mode I started the game on? I just picked a random person and went. There was no way I was actually going to be able to choose from all the faction/leader bonuses.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

The Duggler posted:

Thanks. If I knew that it would take long to replace men I would have withdrawn from my last battle earlier than I did. I could have easily ganked their army leader in a duel and then just ran away. Ended up just saving Sun Jian.

How can I tell which mode I started the game on? I just picked a random person and went. There was no way I was actually going to be able to choose from all the faction/leader bonuses.

Sounds like you were running low on food? Even if a unit gets demolished, it only takes like 3 or 4 turns to get back to full for me.

Default is on Romance mode. If you select the options menu in the faction choice screen, you can change to Records.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The Duggler posted:

You're in Romance mode. In Records mode, all your generals work like normal soldiers (although each of them gets a bodyguard of fairly tough cavalry), and there's no dueling mechanic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Starting a campaign for real now and I don't understand how anyone picks not-Liu Bei. Even if he isn't your fave, his bros probably are if you're sane.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Starting a campaign for real now and I don't understand how anyone picks not-Liu Bei. Even if he isn't your fave, his bros probably are if you're sane.

The thing though is that all of them are assholes in different ways.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat these Yellow Turban guys are tough as nails. The have special unbreakable units that will fight to the last if surrounded on all sides and despite the little bar saying my generals are even or superior they still lose duels handily.