Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Xaris posted:

one would hope they throw most of that back and it lives but lol probably not

Looks like your cynicism is correct.

Bycatch

quote:

Shrimp trawl fisheries catch 2% of the world total catch of all fish by weight, but produce more than one-third of the world total bycatch. American shrimp trawlers produce bycatch ratios between 3:1 (3 bycatch:1 shrimp) and 15:1 (15 bycatch:1 shrimp).[4]

Trawl nets in general, and shrimp trawls in particular, have been identified as sources of mortality for cetacean and finfish species.[11] When bycatch is discarded (returned to the sea), it is often dead or dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Xaris posted:

one would hope they throw most of that back and it lives but lol probably not and then they'll have nothing to eat because all corals and flora is gone

Lol depends on the area but most of the time by catch goes to waste: isn't processed for food but doesn't get returned to the wild in time to keep it alive

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Xaris posted:

if people could stop eating so loving much and just trawl catching everything they can get their webs on. of course now everything powered by fuel guzzling barges and poo poo and destroying wholesale aquatic life.
Between sonar, lure systems, and some decent depth control on the nets trawl and general dragnet catching was obsolete decades ago for the purpose of catching something specific. It'd be very expensive to put the more precise systems in place though, and the efficiency gains from snagging less trash wouldn't offset the loss to shareholder value.

trawling and dragnets are more profitable, y'see, so nothing can be done

it's all just economic reality

practically physics, that

can't be helped

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I wonder what the teach a man to fish idiom will evolve into once all the fish are loving dead everywhere in the world.

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and he will systematically exterminate all aquatic life

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Are the numbers still going up
The numbers being temperature in impoverished countries

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and he will systematically exterminate all aquatic life

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

vyelkin posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

vyelkin posted:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

i no joke can't believe anyone still eats seafood, it's insane

Legitimate question, aren't there nutrients from fish we can't get elsewhere? At least it's what my mom kept drilling into me my whole life.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

vyelkin posted:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

dunno what this means but the numbers are going up so it's gotta be good right

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

Legitimate question, aren't there nutrients from fish we can't get elsewhere? At least it's what my mom kept drilling into me my whole life.

Unlikely as I haven't eaten fish in years and am still alive

Or maybe I died and am in hell

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/23/726207697/the-2019-hurricane-season-will-be-near-normal-but-normal-can-be-devastating

quote:

Gerry Bell, the lead hurricane forecaster at NOAA, said people shouldn't be fooled into complacency by the word "normal."

"Nine to 15 named storms is a lot," he said. "Two to four major hurricanes is a lot. So the key message is: We're expecting a near-normal season, but regardless, that's a lot of activity. You need to start getting prepared for the hurricane season now."
normal climate conditions, global warming is also causing ocean waters to get hotter. The overall global surface temperature has already risen more than 1 degree Fahrenheit compared with pre-industrial times.

That suggests increasing hurricane risk, as big, wet storms become more likely.
Jacobs also focused his remarks on hurricane-related flooding. Hurricanes Harvey and Florence both came ashore and stalled, dumping massive amounts of rain and flooding hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses, many of which were not covered by flood insurance.

"Flood insurance is not included in your homeowner's policy. You have to request it separately," Jacobs said. He warned that hurricane-related flooding could spell financial disaster for those who rely solely on FEMA's assistance to rebuild after a storm.

While flood insurance is important to many individuals and families, the long-term viability of the current flood insurance system is unclear. The federal government is the largest provider of flood insurance in the U.S., and the National Flood Insurance Program is struggling under billions of dollars in debt.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Even if all you care about is human life, you have a responsibility to leave a world worth inhabiting to the people that come after you. The fact that so many people don't believe this really shows their rear end morally - most people are basically Nazis just waiting for their Hitler. Hell, it's even harder to understand since it's not just 'evil' Jews or gays they don't know, it's their own lineage they're condemning to the gas chamber.

And on another note, it should be obvious that the biosphere is more important than humanity - the biosphere created humanity and will (or could have) create something else, something better. What's amazing is the primordial factory that built us, not just one of its more interesting products. It's like killing an apple tree in the hopes of protecting a particularly beautiful apple a bit longer.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've noticed something suspiciously missing. No crickets yet.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

AceOfFlames posted:

No

There are some things where fish is one of the best sources, but there is nothing on Earth that we need nutritionally that comes from one source. If there were we probably would have died out during the last ice age

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

vyelkin posted:

This is a good line.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

This seems like a good time to post this 13 minute voiceless documentary about life on a fishing factory ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv9YbO51syk

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Unlikely as I haven't eaten fish in years and am still alive

Or maybe I died and am in hell

Bad news, buddy.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Man gently caress you AoF and your only humans matter bullshit that you believe just because you're too loving self centered and broken to have a fully developed sense of sympathy. If intelligence is the only metric that matters I guess all the people with brain damage or developmental issues don't matter much either.

There are MULTIPLE other species on this planet that have at least the intelligence of a human child. Anything with a brain and neurochemistry experiences emotion to some degree. Do you think humans are the only animals that produce dopamine? Or adrenaline? Or cortisol?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There are MULTIPLE other species on this planet that have at least the intelligence of a human child. Anything with a brain and neurochemistry experiences emotion to some degree. Do you think humans are the only animals that produce dopamine? Or adrenaline? Or cortisol?

and yet not a single one of those species are smart enough to kill us off first

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and he will systematically exterminate all life including his own

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Man gently caress you AoF and your only humans matter bullshit that you believe just because you're too loving self centered and broken to have a fully developed sense of sympathy. If intelligence is the only metric that matters I guess all the people with brain damage or developmental issues don't matter much either.

It's not like that, really.

AoF is the only one that matters - he expands it to cover humans in general because he requires them to meet his needs.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Why hasn't anyone taught a crow or an elephant or something to post on the internet.

Someone should get on that while we still have some.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Hey there friends! If you’re living in Europe - or staying there in June - there’s something pretty cool you can do!

Ende Gelände, a German civil disobedience org, is expecting several thousands of activists to gather for a week or so to block the activities of a giant coal mine near Cologne. The details aren’t all out there, but the gist of it is that we’re going to be camping on site and then blocking the accesses to the mine and penetrating in it and interrupt the extraction of coal there.

It starts on the 19th, and ends on the 24th. Join us! It’s going to be fun, you’ll be able to observe German pigs in the wild as they defend the interests of capital.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

please don’t take a round-trip flight from like California just in order to go camping in the German countryside however

there are probably similar activities that you can do that are closer to you

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r18Ab8cb5s&t=11s

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

zegermans posted:

This seems like a good time to post this 13 minute voiceless documentary about life on a fishing factory ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv9YbO51syk

this owns and also its important to state that between half and 2/3rds of this catch will end up like thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l_nw4f4EzM&t=41s

i loving loved cooking for a living despite all the reasons not to, but beyond the drug abuse, personal abuse, rape and slavery the waste was also absolutely unconscionable.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Flowers For Algeria posted:

please don’t take a round-trip flight from like California just in order to go camping in the German countryside however

there are probably similar activities that you can do that are closer to you

and if my sister is living in switzerland and i can kill two birds with one stone?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kunabomber posted:

We can do a lot with lionfish, cuttlefish, asian carp, and jellyfish

lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

you bring the noise i bring the glitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011