Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The same day PPV/Cinema releases have been tried before, I don't think it did very well because people really weren't clamoring to watch Tower Heist at home for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

The same day PPV/Cinema releases have been tried before, I don't think it did very well because people really weren't clamoring to watch Tower Heist at home for $60.

That's a dumb argument against it though. I'd personally choose death over paying 60 loving dollars to see Tower Heist.

kumba posted:

Disney+ will be out this year, and there's no way they're not going to try and capitalize on exactly that

I imagine it will be like Amazon Prime; pay the $6.99 for Disney+ and get access to their archive of old poo poo, and then a la carte purchases for $10ish to rent a brand new movie (or maybe not opening day but the next week etc)

I would be incredibly surprised if they didn't do that

Yeah if Disney+ takes a step in the right direction, could be I might not actively hate it. As much. There's a service called Viaplay here in Norway which some times kind of does the same thing, offering new(-ish) movies fairly soon after the theatrical release. But not often and not with the AAA releases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Biplane posted:

That's a dumb argument against it though. I'd personally choose death over paying 60 loving dollars to see Tower Heist.

I'm not making an argument, that's what they did. They released Tower Heist in theaters and on streaming the same day. The streaming was $60 per viewing.

I mean it's not a wonder it did badly when they used Tower Heist as their test bed at that price point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn’t they also do it with Hardcore Henry or am I confused

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

One Nut Wonder posted:

Worked at a Burlington for 8 years, can confirm they're horrible. I cleaned literal poo poo out of the fitting rooms multiple times. And the bathrooms. And motherfuckers during winter never put the coats back on the hanger. No...just throw it on the rack. loving animals.

On the bright side, the people I worked with were like family to me. Really, geniunely good people. I will always remember Irene going on the radio and saying, "Someone done took a poo poo in the fitting room! gently caress people. This is a disgrace." Her words, not mine.

Oh hey I work at a Ross and we have poo poo problems too. The "best" was someone making GBS threads in one of our bowls.

Also yeah, it's impossible to keep these stores clean unless you have someone whose only job is to clean up after customers because they will come right behind you as you're cleaning and gently caress everything up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not making an argument, that's what they did. They released Tower Heist in theaters and on streaming the same day. The streaming was $60 per viewing.

I mean it's not a wonder it did badly when they used Tower Heist as their test bed at that price point.

:lol: that's so hilariously inept it makes me think it was done deliberately.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Biplane posted:

:lol: that's so hilariously inept it makes me think it was done deliberately.

It's not a bad deal if you, your wife, your 2 kids, and housekeeper are all going to watch it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Funktastic posted:

Oh hey I work at a Ross and we have poo poo problems too. The "best" was someone making GBS threads in one of our bowls.

Also yeah, it's impossible to keep these stores clean unless you have someone whose only job is to clean up after customers because they will come right behind you as you're cleaning and gently caress everything up.

I work for a chain of home center type stores (think Lowes, but smaller). We've had our fair share of people making GBS threads/pissing in the display toilets.

One woman even lifted her child up onto one of the display toilets (they where up on a rack in that location) and let him poo poo in one. The bathrooms where only 50ft away.....

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
A solution to that I've seen is to add clear plexiglass over the basin.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Trabant posted:

To the best of my knowledge, Alamo Drafthouse and Violet Crown are both doing well or at least haven't been closing theaters.

Were that theater's tickets alone $25 each or are you talking about tickets + food? Because yeah, that's probably about what I end up spending when I go to Alamo for a ticket ($13) and like a burger and drink.

The local theater with the same concept did well enough they have expanded to three locations, including another state. Their model is pretty lame though, they take over former budget theaters, don't upgrade the screen or sound system . . . MAYBE upgrade the projectors if they aren't digital (if they're just digital they keep the old ones), but put in comfy seats and do food, and that's enough to get the place full constantly. The food is actually pretty decent but not so good I want to have an ancient-quality watching experience for twice the cost of Cinemark, which also has some pretty great seats and upgrades their sound and picture like every two or three years.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Decrepus posted:

It's not a bad deal if you, your wife, your 26 kids, and housekeeper are all going to watch it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Landmark Theatres tried Day-and-Date stuff . When I was with them around 2007ish they even tried a thing where you could get the DVD of whatever indie pablum Magnolia had put out. So we'd be like "That'll be 45.50 for your craft soda, cookie and popcorn. And if you enjoy "INDIE MOVIE" you can purchase the DVD before you leave!"

I think that's also when HD NET THE ONLY CABLE ON DEMAND CHANNEL ALL IN HD also offered like $80 Day-and-Date rentals.

Honestly, it would take someone like Disney or Amazon to crack that egg. Too much to lose if West Coast Avengers doesn't crack 11ty billion moonbucks because making 1 gadzillion from streaming/VOD isn't as cool.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I like going to the theater every once in a while because modern life has destroyed my attention span and I'm unable to watch a movie without tabbing out to do something else every 30 minutes, and you can't do that in a theater because it would be extremely rude.

It's like 9 bucks for a matinee ticket around here, but I usually get a soda too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Beachcomber posted:

Decrepus posted:

It's not a bad deal if you, your wife, your 26 kids, and housekeeper are all going to watch it.

That's the reason home streaming at release won't take off anytime soon. They'd have to price it so that it covers the revenue loss from families of 8 choosing to pay for one rental vs. going out and buying 8 tickets (even at matinee pricing), but that it's also acceptable for a single person. The math wouldn't be hard and I'm sure there's a breakeven point, but I bet it's way too high for most people.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Trabant posted:

That's the reason home streaming at release won't take off anytime soon. They'd have to price it so that it covers the revenue loss from families of 8 choosing to pay for one rental vs. going out and buying 8 tickets (even at matinee pricing), but that it's also acceptable for a single person. The math wouldn't be hard and I'm sure there's a breakeven point, but I bet it's way too high for most people.

That, and it would also mean same day high quality rips appearing on "certain websites". Because you know thousands of people will immediately start working on cracking whatever DRM system they end up using on this hypothetical streaming service.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

[/quote]

This is all true, but I was going for

at the mention of the housekeeper.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

AOC is calling out the bread and butter of this thread:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1131633086851108870

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1131635556910292993

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they could invent some kind of sensor on your tv to charge per eyeballs watching

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

homeless guy posted:

Maybe they could invent some kind of sensor on your tv to charge per eyeballs watching

eyepatch lifehack/piracy

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Trabant posted:

To the best of my knowledge, Alamo Drafthouse and Violet Crown are both doing well or at least haven't been closing theaters.

Were that theater's tickets alone $25 each or are you talking about tickets + food? Because yeah, that's probably about what I end up spending when I go to Alamo for a ticket ($13) and like a burger and drink.

At this place the tickets ALONE were $25, possibly more; I seem to recall Costco having some kind of discount thing where you'd get two tickets for $40 and this was a pretty significant savings over regular price.

The whole theater experience just seems so much less...I dunno, 'exciting' these days? Maybe I'm just old now but I hate the idea of being crammed into a dark room with a bunch of strangers for an 'experience' that, as others have stated, really isn't all that much 'better' than my setup at home. Unless it's something really rare and cool like an IMAX or the Cinerama (though I'm not even sure if the Cinerama in Seattle is still operational, and the only IMAX I know of around here is at the science museum).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

homeless guy posted:

Rates varying wildly if someone joins or leaves halfway through(ok, let's be real, just if someone joins). False positives if the dog/cat's in the room while you watch. Anarchy in the streets.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Segmentation Fox posted:

At this place the tickets ALONE were $25, possibly more; I seem to recall Costco having some kind of discount thing where you'd get two tickets for $40 and this was a pretty significant savings over regular price.

The whole theater experience just seems so much less...I dunno, 'exciting' these days? Maybe I'm just old now but I hate the idea of being crammed into a dark room with a bunch of strangers for an 'experience' that, as others have stated, really isn't all that much 'better' than my setup at home. Unless it's something really rare and cool like an IMAX or the Cinerama (though I'm not even sure if the Cinerama in Seattle is still operational, and the only IMAX I know of around here is at the science museum).

I'm someone who will spend more on going to the nicer theater and that still sounds insane. That's more than an IMAX. I could go to the cheap dine-in theater and get a ticket, dinner/2 beers for that much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If Disney tried to release something like Endgame in theaters as well as streaming rentals they’d be blacklisted by every theater chain.

That’s the only problem Netflix is having. They want their streaming movies considered for awards, but to do that they need a limited release in theaters. They’ve been blocked by so many chains that they’ve considered buying a small theater chain specifically for releasing their movies for Oscar consideration. Amazon manages to avoid that problem by releasing its films in theaters first and then on streaming X number of months later, but Netflix wants those movies in their user libraries immediately.

So yeah, it’s not happening anytime soon. At least we get some movies available for purchase after 3 or so months.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess this is the time to try it but aren't distributors not supposed to own theaters due to the antitrust stuff they previously went through?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

If Disney tried to release something like Endgame in theaters as well as streaming rentals they’d be blacklisted by every theater chain.

That’s the only problem Netflix is having. They want their streaming movies considered for awards, but to do that they need a limited release in theaters. They’ve been blocked by so many chains that they’ve considered buying a small theater chain specifically for releasing their movies for Oscar consideration. Amazon manages to avoid that problem by releasing its films in theaters first and then on streaming X number of months later, but Netflix wants those movies in their user libraries immediately.

So yeah, it’s not happening anytime soon. At least we get some movies available for purchase after 3 or so months.

Sounds like the whole system is due for a shakeup!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
With retail dropping like mad, do you think places like Costco will expand at all, or is there a chance the axe might drop on them too?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Krispy Wafer posted:

My understanding is that most theaters are more worried about being blacklisted by Disney. And agree to any number of demands the studio throws at them.

WSJ posted:

Before exhibitors can begin screening “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” this December, they must first commit to a set of top-secret terms that numerous theater owners say are the most onerous they have ever seen. Disney will receive about 65% of ticket revenue from the film, a new high for a Hollywood studio. Disney is also requiring theaters to show the movie in their largest auditorium for at least four weeks.

Ignoring the terms carries an unusual penalty. If a theater violates any condition of the distribution agreement, Disney can take an additional 5% cut, bringing the studio’s total haul to 70% of sales on a movie likely to gross more than $500 million at the domestic box office.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

With retail dropping like mad, do you think places like Costco will expand at all, or is there a chance the axe might drop on them too?

I think Costco is probably safe. Granted Costco has a history of making better decisions than, say, Sears. It doesn't seem like they're pushing for maximum growth and maximum profits this quarter forever and are playing the long game. I also imagine you probably don't save much, if anything, buying bulk stuff online instead of at Costco and their focus is wholesale.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

They better not close because they're the one of the cheapest sources of pizza and cranberry juice where I live.

It's an oddly specific need but those are literally the two most common things I buy at costco.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Costco sells services as well as merchandise. They’ve created a whole ecosystem for their members and have some of the strongest loyalty numbers around. They also sell a lot to small businesses, which Amazon isn’t set up to do. They’re not going anywhere.

It’s kind of similar to Home Depot. 40% of their business is professional contractors. Amazon can’t even touch that market.

SimplyCosmic posted:

My understanding is that most theaters are more worried about being blacklisted by Disney. And agree to any number of demands the studio throws at them.

Disney might have been a bad example since they’re so overwhelmingly powerful right now, but theater chains are completely against movies being released simultaneously in theaters and online and will do everything they can to stop it. There’s also no guarantee studios would make more money selling direct to consumers, so for right now they’ll stick with the status quo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rick posted:

I guess this is the time to try it but aren't distributors not supposed to own theaters due to the antitrust stuff they previously went through?

They could finance a "startup" that gets a sweetheart deal on licensing and just continuously shovel money into it. If they do it smartly as a "boutique" Netflix experience they might not even have to shovel that much. Stagger releases, only open for part of the year, who knows.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
The thing with retail is that while the threat of online sales is real, it's given entirely too much credit for killing off so many retail chains.

Amazon took a bite out of the bottom line of Sears and Toys R' Us, but it was the overwhelming debt they were saddled with by capital firms as part of their embrace and consume nature.

When you look deeper into other retailers that have closed recently you start to see that most of their failure is part of a self-defeating poor management spiral in response to sales being down. Plenty of chains failed similarly decades before Amazon was a thing as soon as a competent competitor arrived and took a bite of their market share only for management to act poorly and kill their golden goose.

As a counter-example, look at what happened with Best Buy. From being the poster child of "show-rooming" to actually posting positive growth numbers for years now.

Costco will be fine. Though if anything is really going to put a hurt on retail over the next few years it's going to be this tariff problem.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Costco makes mindboggling amounts of pure profit on membership fees alone, so much so that it eclipses much of their actual retail earnings. Costco's model is basically bulletproof in the current economy (as much as anything can be anyway).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

That’s the only problem Netflix is having. They want their streaming movies considered for awards, but to do that they need a limited release in theaters. They’ve been blocked by so many chains that they’ve considered buying a small theater chain specifically for releasing their movies for Oscar consideration.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-netflix-egyptian-theatre-hollywood-20190409-story.html

This is probably going to happen and should solve their problem.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I loving love Costco. Made a belated steak dinner for Mom for Mother's Day (I was working) and bought a 3.5 lb prime ribeye for $12.99/lb. Cheaper than dinner a a steakhouse. And it was nearly the same price as the regular price for a garbage ribeye at Jewel. I also use an old-fashioned bellows to stoke the fire on the grill. It's not hot enough until I can't hold my hand over the fire for less than 1 second.

Plus Costco is my source for giant 5 lb bags of peanuts. Does anyone really want to live in a world without giant bags of
peanuts?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SimplyCosmic posted:

The thing with retail is that while the threat of online sales is real, it's given entirely too much credit for killing off so many retail chains.

Amazon took a bite out of the bottom line of Sears and Toys R' Us, but it was the overwhelming debt they were saddled with by capital firms as part of their embrace and consume nature.

When you look deeper into other retailers that have closed recently you start to see that most of their failure is part of a self-defeating poor management spiral in response to sales being down. Plenty of chains failed similarly decades before Amazon was a thing as soon as a competent competitor arrived and took a bite of their market share only for management to act poorly and kill their golden goose.

As a counter-example, look at what happened with Best Buy. From being the poster child of "show-rooming" to actually posting positive growth numbers for years now.

Costco will be fine. Though if anything is really going to put a hurt on retail over the next few years it's going to be this tariff problem.

Yeah, it's not even as much bad management a lot of the time as it is active sabotage and looting, vulture capitalism at work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm not saying that you're entirely wrong but that's not exactly right either.

The bigger issue with Netflix's Oscar bait movies is that, they're not the kinds of movies that would get a wide release. They're the kind of movies that would end up in art house or other small niche theaters.

The problem is Netflix has a large list of requirements before a theater can play their movies. Most niche theaters can't afford, or aren't willing to make sacrifices to shell out all the upgrades to get a limited run Netflix movie.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it's not even as much bad management a lot of the time as it is active sabotage and looting, vulture capitalism at work.

In the case of Toys R Us, there was also totally awful management though. I worked at one of their busiest, most profitable locations in their entire company, and they treated everyone like absolute dog poo poo and actively worked against doing anything that could improve the store or help further drive sales. I left in 2014 and even then it was becoming clear they were failing, although I don’t think it was expected to be as fast as it actually happened.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not saying that you're entirely wrong but that's not exactly right either.

The bigger issue with Netflix's Oscar bait movies is that, they're not the kinds of movies that would get a wide release. They're the kind of movies that would end up in art house or other small niche theaters.

The problem is Netflix has a large list of requirements before a theater can play their movies. Most niche theaters can't afford, or aren't willing to make sacrifices to shell out all the upgrades to get a limited run Netflix movie.

just plug the laptop into the projector, bingo bango netflix in the theater!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That thing about the movie theater chain with the unreasonably expensive tickets going under reminded me of this article I read about how baseball is dying. None of the baseball people in the article seemed to even consider in their heads for a second that if they just made the experience cheaper, more people would go to games. It's the most obvious solution! What is wrong with people??