Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna try taking more food breaks, switch up what I’m eating on the trail and add a separate bottle of sporty person drink.

I wonder if the peeing thing is just from keeping my stomach full of water once I start getting into something physical. As soon as I’m done hiking, relax a bit and I put my tank away my schedule goes back to normal, right about the time a headache comes in.

Also I do get blood work done yearly and as of last year I don’t have mega-diabetes or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd say try less sugar with breakfast, at least from my perspective. That would gently caress me up. Salt imbalance definitely an issue if you're drinking and peeing 4-6 times an hour. Honestly, the peeing every 10-15 minutes sounds concerning to me.

Like, do you normally pee 50 times a day?

[Edit: The protein/sugar thing was recommended by my doctor. When I asked him and others over the years they've all said it's not a sign of pre-diabetes or anything like that, some people just run differently.]

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd say try less sugar with breakfast, at least from my perspective. That would gently caress me up. Salt imbalance definitely an issue if you're drinking and peeing 4-6 times an hour. Honestly, the peeing every 10-15 minutes sounds concerning to me.

Like, do you normally pee 50 times a day?

No not at all. Just if I’m hiking or weightlifting and making myself drink more than I normally would. It stops happening so often once I chill back out. Day to day I make it several hours between pit stops.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Drinking a lot of water but not taking in electrolytes is actually a lot more dangerous than dehydration. Dehydration is more common from people not being prepared of course.

quote:

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning, hyperhydration, overhydration, or water toxemia is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by excessive water intake.

A lot of runners and triathletes gently caress this up and get really sick from it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Rolo posted:

No not at all. Just if I’m hiking or weightlifting and making myself drink more than I normally would. It stops happening so often once I chill back out. Day to day I make it several hours between pit stops.

This happens to me as well. My trail name is "Thirsty," and I earned it after downing a half gallon of lemonade out of some guy's truck who was doing trail magic on the Appalachian Trail. Most of the time "sweaty" would work too, but sometimes I over hydrate/under eat/under salt and I get "the pees," as I like to call it. And I am constantly, endlessly pulling over to pee. Usually clear.

Because I am sweaty and hot and parched I probably drink way more than my body actually needs.

I really don't think it's a big deal on its own, or even related to the headaches. I drink a lot of water on/off trail and sometimes spend my day peeing all the time. If you drank a lot the day before or something I wouldn't be surprised if your body is just purging some stored water to make room for more intake.

I have had some trail issues where I never quite switch over to "running on blood sugar," and feel like poo poo - lethargic, headache, bloated (truly a goon) too.

I think realistically if someone is eating salty snacks they're probably fine for electrolytes and the only symptom wouldn't be a headache on trail. The only time I've seen a real electrolyte issue is doing endurance sports where you only take in glucose packets (cycling for example). If you're eating a salty snack bar... I am not a doctor but seems so unlikely to be electrolyte issues so early into a hike.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 7, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Migranes are such black voodoo the only real way to do anything about it is figure out the variables and adjust them until you discover the trigger. Doctors can give you painkillers that are basically magic and the internet can give lots of anecdotes for pointers but finding a solution is gonna be a lot of time and personal experimentation.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Get more electrolytes. Take some Gatorade powder with you. I pee a ton on the trail too because I'm constantly drinking water. I usually have a 1l bottle just for Gatorade/electrolyte drink that I'm sipping depending on my exertion.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks everyone, got some good pointers and affirmed some stuff I was wondering about. If my feet heal (I forgot to bring my hiking socks on this trip lol) in time I’m going on another later this week. I’ll let you know if it’s any better.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rolo posted:

I was still drinking plenty of water, which was making me pee about every 10 minutes or so, totally clear urine.

You're actually over-hydrating if you're urinating this often. At proper hydration levels, an ordinary hiker will be peeing every 2-3 hours-ish and it should be light yellow.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rolo posted:

Thanks everyone, got some good pointers and affirmed some stuff I was wondering about. If my feet heal (I forgot to bring my hiking socks on this trip lol) in time I’m going on another later this week. I’ll let you know if it’s any better.

Just to add, I've done this a few times where I over hydrated and was peeing constantly on the trail. I've also had plenty of dehydration headaches which turned into full blown migraines (from various sports) Breakfast can be a huge help, eat something that digests slowly so it stays with you a while. I'm not typically a breakfast eater so I have to remind myself of this before every hike. Oatmeal is okay but a breakfast burrito with egg and sausage usually keeps me full for a long time.

Next, You absolutely need electrolytes. At a certain point, water isn't helping you anymore and you are basically forcing it into and out of your body without replacing the minerals you've lost through sweat. It's more than just salt (sodium, potassium, magnesium etc).

For day hikes, I'll usually bring a small bladder and a gatorade, maybe just a gatorade depending on the length of the hike. For backpacking, I use a 100 Oz bladder and bring an empty bottle for mixing electrolyte drinks. I like traditional lemon gatorade powder. I've also done nuun and scratch labs as well but gatorade is my default. The powder has sugar but it's not high fructose corn syrup so that's a plus versus the liquid variety in store. You can also make your own but when there are so many out there ... It's easier to buy.

I'm not a big water drinker so when I started backpacking, I was forcing myself to drink and often overcompensating. It just takes time finding that balance.

Here's a link to more information.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/electrolyte-water#what-it-is

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Almost every grocery store also sells squeezy electrolyte mixes if you don't like gatorade or don't want to deal with the powders. One or two usually lasts me an entire season, and they have "better" flavors like "blue." I find them easier to share or have a variety, plus you aren't limited to a specific serving size. You can go lighter for a milder flavor, mix up larger batches, etc. They are also generally sugar free, or at least a lot lighter on the sugar than a gatorade.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

I'm not a big water drinker so when I started backpacking, I was forcing myself to drink and often overcompensating. It just takes time finding that balance.

Here's a link to more information.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/electrolyte-water#what-it-is

Good stuff, seems I was doing this too. In hindsight, I started hiking when I lived in southern Arizona, where I had to drink and eat often. Now I don’t really sweat much hiking in the east coast mountains and was probably still drinking at close to the same rate.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
I have been meaning to post some comments and pictures from my trip to Patagonia this winter, and I promised to do so if someone responded to my query about hiking in Scotland. So here goes...

W Trek

The first part of the trip was the W Trek in Chile's Torres del Paine national park. This is a 100km trek that typically takes 5 days/4 nights (although the first and last day are very light, so it is more like 3.5 days). We went in the middle of December, at the beginning of the high season. This time of year is typically extremely windy and often rainy, but we had incredibly good weather the entire time. No rain to speak of, and sunshine 95% of the time. We did the west-to-east route that begins with a catamaran ride from the Pudeto bus stop. Here is a very crude map of the route:

Day 1: 11km from Paine Grande to Glacier Grey. The first day is pretty short, as you have to take a 3-hour bus ride from the nearest town (Puerto Natales) and then a boat ride to the start of the trail. The path leads up the western edge of the park to a massive (or at least it seemed massive compared to what we have in the continental US) glacier. This was our worst weather day; it was grey and very windy although we didn't really get rained on.

Day 2: 21km to glacier viewpoint, then back down to Paine Grande. The next day we walked further up the trail to the glacier viewpoint, and then retraced the previous day's steps before making camp back at Paine Grande. This is probably the dullest portion of the trip since you are going back over areas you have already seen, although the weather was much nicer.

Day 3: 26km to Mirador Britannico, then on to Los Cuernos. The third day was probably the toughest. It began with an 8km walk to the entrance to Valle Frances (the "stick" in the middle of the W), followed by a 6km, 1000m meter climb through the valley to the Britannico viewpoint, which was amazing on such a nice day. After heading back down the hill, we walked another 6km to our camp site at Los Cuernos.

Day 4: 25km to Las Torres. The last day is tough too. It started with a 15km walk steadily uphill to the last campsite, Chileno, where we left our bags and made camp before continuing on another 5km (and another 1100m) to the park's namesake viewpoint. It was cloudy so we didn't get the best view, but given our luck with the weather on the whole it wasn't a big loss.

Day 5: 6km to the end of the trail/ The last day is a very easy and not particularly scenic walk 6km down the hill to the visitor center, before waiting for the bus back to town.

El Chalten

After the W Trek, we crossed the border to Argentina and spent a few days hiking in the El Chalten area. The highlight here was a 40km overnight trek to mount FitzRoy, but the whole area is amazing. Probably better than Torres del Paine, to be honest.

Bariloche

Our next stop was Bariloche in Argentina's lakes district, where we stayed for three days. We had some poor weather part of the time so we did a lot of driving around, but we were fortunate to have enough good weather to get in one good hike in the nearby Nahuel Huapi national park. We chose the "Frey por el filo" route, which turned out to be the best hike of the entire trip. I highly recommend this one if anyone finds them self in the region.

Carretera Austral

The last leg of our trip was back in Chile, a road trip on the infamous Route 7 from Coyhaique to Cochrane and back. We only did one big hike here, the 1500m climb up Cerro Castillo. We also went on a kayaking trip to a very cool marble formation in Lago General Carrera.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 9, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Those are awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of crowds does that place get? The past few months have buried the internet in uploads of pictures from that place. I know they're coming out of peak season but to me is suggests a couple options: the place has been discovered and visitorship had a huge spike, or it was just a really photogenic fall.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

xzzy posted:

What kind of crowds does that place get? The past few months have buried the internet in uploads of pictures from that place. I know they're coming out of peak season but to me is suggests a couple options: the place has been discovered and visitorship had a huge spike, or it was just a really photogenic fall.

The W Trek is pretty busy during the high season, no doubt about it. Some of the camp sites were bustling, and the main viewpoints were crowded. But we got up early every day and had the trail to ourselves until 10am or so. There is also a hard cap on the number of people that can stay at each camp site (60ish I think), so it can't get that busy. It helps that you can't drive to most of the park; you have to walk from the east entrance or take a boat to the west one.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yikes. Someone got murdered on the AT last night by a crazy sovereign citizen hiker. Dude had apparently threatened people with a machete and was arrested but got released. Jumped back on trail and got in a fight with some people and attacked.

I came across one dude that would fit the bill of crazy when I hiked. Kept my distance because, man, you never know what the gently caress people will do when agitated.

edit: Hiker upgraded to not murdered so that's cool.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 11, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jesus. I saw some of that a few weeks ago on the AT reddit. People reported being threatened by him with a weapon and cops said he was no threat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s a question. Any of you pack heat when really getting out there? I’ve thought about it for peace of mind when backpacking solo, but I never actually have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No. Trails are still statistically magnitudes of order safer than any city in America and you're better off with bear spray or mace in 99% of circumstances anyways, for both animal and human interactions. Their general safety is exactly why events like this are a big deal and scary, they're rare and unexpected and naturally stoke fears about being out there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Most people get laughed at for carrying any sort of big knife or gun because it’s extra weight and useless 99% of the time.

Humans continue to be the most dangerous aspects of trail life and hiking

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

why would you bring something as dangerous as a gun on a camping trip?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have friends that do and was just curious about this thread’s thoughts on it. I don’t have practical carrying guns but honestly don’t really think I’d be comfortable with a friend bringing one either.

Mostly asking because it’ll probably come up at least once this summer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they're willing to listen, dig up and point them to the studies that determine that outcomes are statistically worse when using firearms against wildlife versus bear spray.

If they're entrenched in their ideology, either find new friends to hike with or live with the fact you have an elevated chance of getting shot if someone tries to ward off aggressive animals with it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I carry a gun 90% of the time, but in 50+ years of hiking I can only recall a few instances I took a firearm with me on a hike. One of those was at the request of the friend who’s wife was pregnant, 20 miles in I was questioning my sanity.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

I carry a gun 90% of the time, but in 50+ years of hiking I can only recall a few instances I took a firearm with me on a hike. One of those was at the request of the friend who’s wife was pregnant, 20 miles in I was questioning my sanity.

did he think this would happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21vl3hRGlMw&t=65s

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I think she was more worried then he was, but five kids later they might just throw the smallest at a bear.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Did a family trip up to Grand Marais, MI today and explored the eastern end of Pictured Rocks.

Grand Sable gorge.

Sable Falls.

Mouth of the Sable River.

Snow! Not enough to prevent a hike but there were still some spots where it was a foot deep.

One of three shipwrecks, we could only find two.

Lake erosion seriously ate away at the shoreline since the last time I visited.

NPS folks haven't been in yet.

At the far end of the dunes is where I took the first photos from. Weather was beautiful, mid 50's. No people. No bugs. Was very nice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Those are absolutely amazing photos. Thanks for sharing!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So for those who saw my posts about urinating and electrolytes, I have an update.

Went out on a pretty tough 9 mile hike today. This time I tried to regulate how quickly I was downing water. When we stopped for lunch I added some electrolyte mix to my backup water bottle and drank on that with my food.

End of the day now, I didn’t constantly pee and I feel great. So there you go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rolo posted:

So for those who saw my posts about urinating and electrolytes, I have an update.

Went out on a pretty tough 9 mile hike today. This time I tried to regulate how quickly I was downing water. When we stopped for lunch I added some electrolyte mix to my backup water bottle and drank on that with my food.

End of the day now, I didn’t constantly pee and I feel great. So there you go.

How are the headaches? I know that was another issue you were having.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
That must be some fairly awful water you're drinking, for it to be so terrible for your body without adding in a bunch of sugar bomb nutrition syrup. :cheeky: I take a sip from the Platypus hose every time I stop to catch my breath, but I either use Nuun or my special blend to stay hydrated. I also go through 1-2L of water at work every day, so my body is used to it; in fact, I'm typically dehydrated while hiking.

Related to earlier posts about dead weight, I used my cheese knife on my three day a few weeks ago. But it made me happy to be sitting in the middle of nowhere cutting a block of cheese with a Recon Tanto, so it was worth the weight. :histdowns:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

How are the headaches? I know that was another issue you were having.

No headache today, totally good.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

This Spring snowfall in the sierra nevada is throwing a wrench into my May-June-maybe early July plans. I mean, if I need to haul along snowshoes and crampons during backpacking/mountaineering trips that's wack. poo poo's crazy!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nah years like this are the best! By June there will be plenty of routes where the approach is mostly snow free, and the snow itself will have gone through enough melt/freeze cycles to be perfect for crampons (and firm enough you don't need to haul snowshoes). A lot of the easier semi-technical gully routes (Mt. Thompson, Dana Couloir, North Peak, Matterhorn Peak) will be in good shape most of the summer/fall
Even non-technical routes like those up Banner Peak or Conness are way more fun when there is plenty of snow (as opposed to tedious talus slogs). In fact most of the class 2/3 passes will be transformed from ScreeFuck 9000 into exciting alpine adventures for at least most of the early summer.

Just bring crampons/axe and have a blast. Besides, it's not Real Mountaineering(TM) if you don't have an ice axe.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 18, 2019

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Oh right, not sure why I complained about crampons. Those are a given. But adding snowshoes would super suck, so hope your right. The most ambitious plan this summer is ascending Mt Darwin.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’ve decided to try backpacking this summer and figured I was basically all set since I’ve already got a down sleeping bag and tent. The sleeping bag was made in the early 70s and the tent is from 2005, and evidently we’ve made some strides in lightweight equipment since then (they weigh 4lbs 6oz and 6lbs 6oz, respectively).

I just bought a Sierra Designs Backcountry Quilt 20F to replace the bag and I’m wondering if anyone uses sleeping pad covers to make their pad surface more comfortable or if they bring some kind of lightweight sleeping shirt that feels nicer than their daytime wear.

Also I know there are much lighter quilts, including Sierra Designs’ new Nitro, but I wanted the biggest and widest one since I’m a side sleeper and afraid of drafts, possibly irrationally.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

On most trips I absolutely carry a light, soft, comfy cotton T in a separate ziploc and I treasure it with my life. It is my reward at camp, only to be worn at camp at night. It feels like heaven. It can easily be "sun washed" on nice days by laying it out over your pack while you hike. I have a pair of really lightweight soccer shorts too that I'll sometimes take if it's warm, not sleeping in anything you "move" in is nice.

If you went with a sleeping bag you could go for a bag liner, some of those are even made of silk. I am personally a "bag" fan because I toss and turn a lot but there's no right answer.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

charity rereg posted:

On most trips I absolutely carry a light, soft, comfy cotton T in a separate ziploc and I treasure it with my life. It is my reward at camp, only to be worn at camp at night. It feels like heaven. It can easily be "sun washed" on nice days by laying it out over your pack while you hike. I have a pair of really lightweight soccer shorts too that I'll sometimes take if it's warm, not sleeping in anything you "move" in is nice.

We'd always tell kids on youth group trips for clothes you should have clothes to wear, clothes to change into when those get wet, and then clothes to sleep in. One kid I double checked his pack when he could fit any group gear and removed like 5 additional pairs of underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Got snowed out on my planned half dome trip next week :sad: at least there will be skiing through July this year...