Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

ItWasMoida posted:

On a separate note:

Noah Caldwell Gervais might just be my favorite person on Youtube.

I like how his zero-frills presentation is used to frame his long, relaxing, almost college lecture-style lookbacks at older game franchises. There's something about how he not only thoroughly researches these old titles but how he mixes it with his own personal views. For instance, he recently reviewed the original Warcraft and Warcraft 2 games, since they just came out on GoG, and as much as he was happy to return to two cornerstones of the real-time strategy genre and the first brick of what would be the monolith of Blizzard, he added that the original Warcraft can be tedious and that Warcraft 2 (especially its expansion) can be insanely challenging.

There's also an easy, laid back patience to his videos. It may come off to some as unprofessional, but I find it refreshing when he takes a breath, fumbles and retakes a line or word, or awkwardly make a cut somewhere. Compared to the Youtube-scape of today, his videos are not well produced. But I think that's because his emphasis is on the writing of his retrospectives, which adds a dare I say, folksy (?) charm. I'm sure there's a lot of you out there that have recommendations for some of his retrospectives. But I'd like to personally recommend his road trip travelogues. They're some of the most chilled out videos I've ever seen.

I seriously wish he would cut out every time he has a plegmy cough into the microphone just because it's drat near the top of the list of my most hated sounds. However, I agree with the rest of this. His style manages to feel conversational somehow in spite of every video being a one-hour unbroken monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

John Murdoch posted:

I think you played a different Borderlands game than I did.
i played the same one but quit playing before she said bazinga.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This has blown up a little, by the by. That Cirno poster is losing their mind. It's pretty great. Every ripple dril makes turns into a tsunami.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't get the point of putting a big spotlight on literal nobodies. Who could possibly care about whatever that cirno dude has to say?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I don't get the point of putting a big spotlight on literal nobodies. Who could possibly care about whatever that cirno dude has to say?

Eh... The guy thought his anonymity made him safe from repercussions. Maybe this'll scare some people off from doing it in the future.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I regret to inform you that the worst possible outcome has occurred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJcQkvRa4

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Grapplejack posted:

making fun of a maga chud who posts a bunch of "get woke go broke" poo poo is cool and good regardless of their fame

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maga chud corncobbing and demanding to speak to the manager is such a big yikes from me fam, oof 😂😂😂😂

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Alaois posted:

maga chud corncobbing and demanding to speak to the manager is such a big yikes from me fam, oof 😂😂😂😂

Cool and Good Meltdown May corncobbery

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

making fun of a maga chud who posts a bunch of "get woke go broke" poo poo is cool and good regardless of their fame

No this is the internet critic thread, we cannot make fun of people cause the words we use are mean.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
to be completely fair this is the one time quoting the corncob tweet is appropriate and anyone who likes touhou a lot should have their hard drive confiscated by the fbi

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

please stop using words that make you sound younger than I am, tia

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah thats exactly what it is you got it sherlock lmfao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Augus posted:

please stop using words that make you sound younger than I am, tia

the people who use and popularized those phrases are all in their loving 30s

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

RareAcumen posted:

I regret to inform you that the worst possible outcome has occurred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJcQkvRa4

I can't believe HBomb is loving dead...

HERE LIES HARRY 'HBOMB' POTTER
19??-2019
"He never made those Star Wars prequel videos"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomb isn’t dead. He is Pennywise

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

What a punk. Harry Potter knew the magic of pottery and that wizard guy spat in the face of that art. I am so tired of these wizards summoning dragons and setting fire. That's my biggest worry if magic was real is that the arts would suffer immensely. You think anyone is caring about Color field when people can shoot lasers? No. That's gone. It's all gone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I can't believe HBomb is loving dead...

HERE LIES HARRY 'HBOMB' POTTER
19??-2019
"He never made those Star Wars prequel videos"

Christ, Game of Thrones really did go to poo poo at the end, didn’t it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CelticPredator posted:

Hbomb isn’t dead. He is Pennywise

And pot stupid.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a cute skit, but Hbomb's forlorn little, "maybe not to you" was the definite highlight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And pot stupid.

I chuckled :allears:.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is MEAN GIRLS secret instructions for fighting fascism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6b0gtsWeM

Is KILL LA KILL:nws: secret instructions for fighting fascism?1,2
1 - not on youtube due to copyright strike
2 - have never watched kill la kill because I didn’t want to risk actually liking it and then having to defend it.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

klk is good

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
You can't recommend klk to anyone outside the anime community because the "the 17-year-old in the stripper outfit is meant to be a subversion" argument doesn't hold in literally any other social circle

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Klk is okay and its funny when some people who normally cry about big anime tits praise it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KLK would've been cooler if they'd moved the ages up by 3 or 4 years and just set it in a University

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RareAcumen posted:

KLK would've been cooler if they'd moved the ages up by 3 or 4 years and just set it in a University

yep. but the reason they didn't do this was to actively squeeze money from pedophiles who are afraid of adult women.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm afraid to tell you this but anime is for teenagers.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I agree with every sentiment about Kill la Kill expressed so far.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

My opinion is that kill la kill is an anime

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

ArfJason posted:

to be completely fair this is the one time quoting the corncob tweet is appropriate and anyone who likes touhou a lot should have their hard drive confiscated by the fbi

Time to arrest slowbeef then!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Time to arrest slowbeef then!

finally he'll pay for his crime of creating let's plays

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm afraid to tell you this but anime is for teenagers.

god, if only. huge swathes of anime are produced exclusively for weird pedos because they've created a locked-in market dependant on their 10,000 yen blu rays with two episodes of Panty Shot High School on each for sexual gratification.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You really want to argue that a country's whole animation industry is to pander to pedophiles? That really doesn't sound like a hosed up thing to say?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It’s not entirely wrong, but the reason why anime tends to be set in high school is because for a lot of Japanese salarymen that’s the last time their lives weren’t miserable so it’s a mix of nostalgia and pedophilia

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

don't get me wrong - a huge amount of american media culture also carries water for pedophiles. From Olsen Twin countdown clocks to whoever is doing Millie Bobby Brown's wardrobe for red carpet events. It's a global horror and it's always on purpose. You don't need secret pizza basement rape dungeons to exploit and endanger kids and teens, you can do it on an industrial scale without breaking a single law.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Wasn’t there a big Nickelodeon guy who was a pedo?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dan Schnieder, yeah. He used Nick Tweencoms to groom teen girls and collect foot fetish material from fans. The former is an obvious crime that he just got away with; the latter is exactly the kind of totally-legal exploitation that forms the real pedophile culture around the world.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kill la Kill is an ok to good anime show with some decent themes executed well, wrapped in some frankly creepy and unecessary sexual content that actively detracts from a lot of the show's positive messaging.

However Patrick Seitz is in it so its actually perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011