Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ChubbyThePhat posted:

A ticket came in:

Outlook meetings with no attachment. When the meeting is updated with an attachment, that update email goes directly to deleted items on the attendee's mailbox. Can be replicated sometimes, but other times is not automatically moved to deleted items until it is read by the recipient.

I have so many other things I would rather be doing but nope this ticket escalation is apparently life or death for somebody.

You have not seen so many privileged tears than when we enabled automatic attachment of Google Meet links to calendar events in GCal. Apparently some people had in-person-only meetings, and some had other video sharing tools they preferred, but somehow the existence of a Meet was the END OF EVERYTHING for them.

When IT came back and said, "If you don't want the Meet, just click the X to delete it before you save the event and it'll be gone forever," the outcry was swift and intense. Because GOD FORBID you have to click to remove something that most of the company uses by default because you're using non-standard poo poo or can't be hosed to give your remote teammates an option to dial in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhymenoserous posted:

Have tier 1 gen up a new laptop and just take his and say it was infected with something. I've done this many times for similar reasons, ya'll are making poo poo hard.
:thejoke:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You have not seen so many privileged tears than when we enabled automatic attachment of Google Meet links to calendar events in GCal. Apparently some people had in-person-only meetings, and some had other video sharing tools they preferred, but somehow the existence of a Meet was the END OF EVERYTHING for them.

When IT came back and said, "If you don't want the Meet, just click the X to delete it before you save the event and it'll be gone forever," the outcry was swift and intense. Because GOD FORBID you have to click to remove something that most of the company uses by default because you're using non-standard poo poo or can't be hosed to give your remote teammates an option to dial in.

Honestly, I'd rather strangle myself than try to get people to use Skype for Business meetings ever again. It's the same everywhere.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly, I'd rather strangle myself than try to get people to use Skype for Business meetings ever again. It's the same everywhere.

We only use it when interacting with MSFT, and it's still painful.

Especially when I install the MSFT for Teams extension for a call, and then it decides to start on boot every time. I DIALED INTO ONE MSFT MEETING, gently caress CLEAN OFF TIL I ASK YOU TO RUN AGAIN, YOU USELESS gently caress.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Teams is pretty good tho?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

kensei posted:

I mainly use skype to search for people in the company directory, see that they are still employed (based on if they still exist in Skype) and then see if they are in the office (based on if they are online and therefore logged into an office computer)

Then I know whether they are deliberately dodging my phone calls/emails.

I haven't seen a way to do that in Teams. Is it possible?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shut up Meg posted:

I mainly use skype to search for people in the company directory, see that they are still employed (based on if they still exist in Skype) and then see if they are in the office (based on if they are online and therefore logged into an office computer)

Then I know whether they are deliberately dodging my phone calls/emails.

I haven't seen a way to do that in Teams. Is it possible?

If your teams staff hasn't locked/hosed it up there is the "who" bot which will let you find names and see the GAL data of one user, inclusive of status.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SlowBloke posted:

If your teams staff hasn't locked/hosed it up there is the "who" bot which will let you find names and see the GAL data of one user, inclusive of status.

Cool, many thanks for that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kensei posted:

Its utter garbage.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

AlexDeGruven posted:

Its utter garbage.

We're dumping slack for teams right now. People are... not happy

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I don't care what IM program we use anymore, I just want the entire company on it.

Seriously, the fragmenting of communication channels is killing me. We got MatterMost and Slack and Confluence and Teams and SfB and email and phone and some fuckhead wandering by my desk, all at the same time. Hopefully they'll kill SfB and move everyone to Teams, soon, because SfB is horrific.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

null_pointer posted:

I don't care what IM program we use anymore, I just want the entire company on it.

Seriously, the fragmenting of communication channels is killing me. We got MatterMost and Slack and Confluence and Teams and SfB and email and phone and some fuckhead wandering by my desk, all at the same time. Hopefully they'll kill SfB and move everyone to Teams, soon, because SfB is horrific.

Yeah, I will agree that Teams is a huge improvement over SfB.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everyone: "Monopolies are bad"

Also everyone: "Fragmentation makes the software industry hell"

Maybe this would work better as a Distracted Boyfriend

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Data Graham posted:

There's a difference, here. Every organization should be free to choose from multiple products to find the one that best meets the needs of the org. But once they've chosen, allowing users to fragment it makes for lots of friction.

Or to put it another way:

Multiple choices for each organization to choose from? Good. Single choice? Bad.

Multiple choices for end users within each organization to choose from? Bad. Single choice? Good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a difference, here. Every organization should be free to choose from multiple products to find the one that best meets the needs of the org. But once they've chosen, allowing users to fragment it makes for lots of friction.

Or to put it another way:

Multiple choices for each organization to choose from? Good. Single choice? Bad.

Multiple choices for end users within each organization to choose from? Bad. Single choice? Good.

What if: Democratic Centralism but software?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Teams is good. We move from HipChat almost a year ago at this point.

What else does Slack as a company have besides their chat program? I'm surprised they haven't been aquired yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even having multiple platforms with interop isn't ideal because the interop is always lowest common denominator stuff and it soon becomes easier to run multiple clients.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Chat is a scourge upon the workplace. People expecting instant responses are the worst. Even worse is the group known as the “hi” people. All of the chat options are just varying degrees of bad. Just like antivirus

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Teams is good. We move from HipChat almost a year ago at this point.

What else does Slack as a company have besides their chat program? I'm surprised they haven't been aquired yet.

As far as I know, they have plans to go public later this year.

Also, their IPO is going to be to allow shareholders to sell existing shares not to raise money. I'm not sure if that will affect keeping a majority stake, but probably not. Most IPOs are set up so the company still maintains its majority.

Fake Edit: Found the article I had read about a month ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/26/18518022/slack-public-offering-ipo-announced-sk-stock

quote:

Slack plans to go public. The company behind the popular workplace chat app filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission today, revealing plans to list on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “SK.” In an unusual move, the public offering won’t raise money for Slack; it’ll just allow existing shareholders to begin selling their stock.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Virigoth posted:

Chat is a scourge upon the workplace. People expecting instant responses are the worst. Even worse is the group known as the “hi” people. All of the chat options are just varying degrees of bad. Just like antivirus

Hmm... yes. I totally want to walk over to a more senior dev, ask them for advice on how to do something, have to write it down, then come back and implement it, as opposed to asking them on chat, getting a response there, not having to get up, and having it logged for future reference incase I lose my written notes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

null_pointer posted:

We have this problem too, and it's our fault because we're the ones implementing all of them. We are now standing up a fourth service. Most people in the organization use zero (0) of these available services.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Chat is fine in the workplace, if things are critical and you need immediate responses, pick up the phone; it's not the chat programs fault people are dumb.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Virigoth posted:

People expecting instant responses are the worst. Even worse is the group known as the “hi” people.

This. Just loving say what you need from me already.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Virigoth posted:

Person I've never talked to before: "Hi, name, how are you?"
Me: I'm good. You?
Person: "Great. Say, can you do this thing for me that's not a part of your group's responsibilities on a system you don't have access to?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'd almost consider giving up the instant communication of chat if it meant never dealing with another 'hi <kyrosiris>' with no followup.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I'm okay with "hi" and then waiting for a follow up. Most everyone in my group knows to at least say "good morning / afternoon" to me before diving into their question. Feels good to be treated like a person and not have some rando just barrage you with a question, first thing.

What turns me into a frothing-at-the mouth psychopath is when the first (and only) thing they say is my name. Just their entire message consists of "[my name]" and then silence. What sort of idiot searches for my name, clicks on my name, sees my name on the chat window, and then ... types my name? I mean, what the gently caress, are you just not sure if you screwed up one of those steps?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Data Graham posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Craptacular posted:

This. Just loving say what you need from me already.

Counterpoint: if I don't know whether they're actually at their desk or not (because I can't trust the idiot-designed activity indicator and/or maybe they JUST stepped away), and I can get what I need from either them or one of three or four other people, I'm going to send a quick "hi" to see if they respond quickly. If I type out a huge request, a) it's that much wasted effort if they don't respond, and b) if I copy-paste the actual request to several different people then I get several different people eventually spending cycles getting back to me and possibly trying to solve the problem redundantly.

I mean there's a reason there's a SYN-ACK sequence

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Use group DMs then.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hi, Inspector_666 here to show you how to put a greeting in with your information and/or request so you can send it all as one message and not waste anybody's time. Does that make sense?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guy Axlerod posted:

Use group DMs then.

a) the chat system in question / globally spread office dynamic where nobody actually sits together with anyone else from their team or knows who else is even on the team doesn't really permit this, and b) a group DM just ends up with everyone going "someone else will reply"

Just saying, the "hi" is an emergent phenomenon informed by circumstances and is the most efficient solution we've come up with

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

null_pointer posted:

I'm okay with "hi" and then waiting for a follow up. Most everyone in my group knows to at least say "good morning / afternoon" to me before diving into their question. Feels good to be treated like a person and not have some rando just barrage you with a question, first thing.

I'm not saying don't use a greeting or anything, just that something like "hey, kyrosiris, sorry to bother - do you know if $SYSTEM can do $THING" is infinitely preferable to me - especially when I'm busy - to "hi kyrosiris *crickets for 20+ minutes*".

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Counterpoint: if I don't know whether they're actually at their desk or not (because I can't trust the idiot-designed activity indicator and/or maybe they JUST stepped away), and I can get what I need from either them or one of three or four other people, I'm going to send a quick "hi" to see if they respond quickly. If I type out a huge request, a) it's that much wasted effort if they don't respond, and b) if I copy-paste the actual request to several different people then I get several different people eventually spending cycles getting back to me and possibly trying to solve the problem redundantly.

I mean there's a reason there's a SYN-ACK sequence

This is what I don't like:

quote:

Idiot co-worker: hi
Me: hi
<1-15 minutes pass>
Idiot co-worker: how are you doing today
Me: fine, what do you need?
<another 1-15 minutes pass>
Idiot co-worker: could you do <x>?
Me: ok I'll let you know when I'm done

I'd much prefer this:

quote:

Non-idiot co-worker:Hi, could you do <x>?
Me: ok I'll let you know when I'm done

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm not saying don't use a greeting or anything, just that something like "hey, kyrosiris, sorry to bother - do you know if $SYSTEM can do $THING" is infinitely preferable to me - especially when I'm busy - to "hi kyrosiris *crickets for 20+ minutes*".

Yeah, I'm talking more along the lines of

"Hi"

"Hi"

"If you've got a few minutes, I need your help providing some sample API payloads because the documentation on your app seems to be out of date. Could you dig into the code and tell me what the volume_attachments endpoint returns?"

E: ^^ Yeah the above is what that bash.org line about "stab people in the face over the internet" was invented for

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, I'm talking more along the lines of

"Hi"
"Hi"
"If you've got a few minutes, I need your help providing some sample API payloads because the documentation on your app seems to be out of date. Could you dig into the code and tell me what the volume_attachments endpoint returns?"

Yeah, this is what I do.
Me: "hey, X. Good morning"
Them: "Hi."
Me: "sorry to bother you, but could you do Y"

Dudes who immediately abandon ship after saying hi can get bent.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

null_pointer posted:

Me: "hey, X. Good morning"
Them: "Hi."

Me: "Hi X. sorry to bother you, but could you do Y"

FTFY

I can also do FizzBuzz in one line of code.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Hi. <thing you want to talk about>

or get the gently caress out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You’re meant to do what someone on my team does which is to leave missed calls on your phone, send multiple “hi”, “you there?” IMs and then send you an email asking to call them when you get a chance. At no point is the topic of conversation ever mentioned.

I’ve also started declining meetings that don’t have an attempt at an agenda / short sentence on what the aim of the meeting is contained in the invite.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clearly the writers of RFC1855 missed an important point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
http://www.nohello.com/