Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

poty posted:

i feel the same way about laptops op i dont use mine much to compute outside the apartment.

a good imac 5k + a macbook air prolly makes more sense than a good macbook pro 15 for most people after the last air update

(maybe buy the macbook air now and wait on the imac until next year when they bring the new imac pro architecture with the fancy security chip and poo poo)

The i7 21" is like 90% of what I'm looking for, but (once you add even a basic amount of RAM and a semi-decent bideo card) it's more expensive, still is (slightly) less capable, and there's no warranty (AppleCare is not a loving warranty) versus the upcoming Dell XPS 15 which is also portable.

I literally can't justify an Apple no matter what I try.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Johnston Q. Fireball’s befuddlement that his son would want a Windows computer for video games made for some solid podcasting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Should I just get a NUC instead of an XPS 15?

Like, what do I actually need the portability for, I can literally just buy a shitbox Dell 11 incher* for the three times a year I actually need mobile computing beyond my phone and still probably end up paying less overall?

E: AMD graphics :vomarine:, at that point I might as well literally buy an MacsBooks Pro.

*: :dong:

new xps 15s are next month (hopefully). if you don't need a gpu get a xps 13 which was recently refreshed. if you need a gpu either wait for the xps15 which has a 1650 or wait for new dell gaming laptops (also due in june) if u need something more

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

new xps 15s are next month (hopefully). if you don't need a gpu get a xps 13 which was recently refreshed. if you need a gpu either wait for the xps15 which has a 1650 or wait for new dell gaming laptops (also due in june) if u need something more

I actually have meant to thank you, you've been a lot of help w/r/t the "knowing what Dell is going to release" thing.

:tipshat:

E: On a 128 SSD with current OS X iOS MacOS installed from the factory how much is actually user-accessible?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

wait why is applecare not a warranty
they've always served me well and repaired my macs for even stupid poo poo that probably wasn't there (I swore the screen had a backlight issue but it probably didn't)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

new xps 15s are next month (hopefully).

this keeps not happening

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

this keeps not happening

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRQ posted:

wait why is applecare not a warranty
they've always served me well and repaired my macs for even stupid poo poo that probably wasn't there (I swore the screen had a backlight issue but it probably didn't)

I guess I'm comparing it to Dell ProPlus. If I'm carrying a ProPlus'ed Dell and trip and go rear end-over-teakettle down a flight of stairs the next day a guy is out at my location fixing whatever got busted at no out-of-pocket to me.

This is available for 4 or 5 years (depending on the model). AppleCare is really more of a "subsidized repair" plan?

:shrug:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

poty posted:

lol gently caress off gruber. i like panic they make good mac apps but im pretty sure you could find 5 products this amazing every day on kickstarter if you cared to look

you know that scene in goodfellas where tommy is about to be made, and jimmy and henry can’t contain their excitement because it’s as close as they themselves will ever get to being made? that’s a bit how I feel about playdate

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kobayashi posted:

you know that scene in goodfellas where tommy is about to be made, and jimmy and henry can’t contain their excitement because it’s as close as they themselves will ever get to being made? that’s a bit how I feel about playdate

And then they all get whacked. So, you know, "fingers crossed" (as the kids say these days)?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

this keeps not happening

they've got the oled panels in but I think intel is loving up on cpu deliveries.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
only betas test the Microsoft surface.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
that playdate thing looks dumb af

I think that a modernized gameboy like platform could be really cool for indie developers - hardware constraints can lead to some really creative stuff

but no, let's build a loving crank into each device. not more face buttons. a loving crank. that's what consumers and developers really want

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog
you guys are really cynical about the playdate thing (yospos bitch)

I have an op-z and an op-1 from teenage engineering because ~beats~ and poo poo and they're the most exciting hardware manufacturer I've seen in the last 10 years

this thing will be so much cooler than you're giving it credit for

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i want one

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ywTiw1lhw

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah I'm pissed at johnny because now the demand is gonna be through the roof and they're going to make like ten of them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

powermac posted:

lmao

big ouya fan here

did you also own an og olpc?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just ordered my zissmaxx. gonna be interesting to see how well my Google fi works in it. guessing at the least the visual voice mail will have to go through the hangouts app

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

powermac posted:

you guys are really cynical about the playdate thing (yospos bitch)

I have an op-z and an op-1 from teenage engineering because ~beats~ and poo poo and they're the most exciting hardware manufacturer I've seen in the last 10 years

well they sure don't know how to make a website that's for sure

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pocket operators are cool. I was going to buy one but then ended up getting the free korg app for my phone instead

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

pocket operators are cool. I was going to buy one but then ended up getting the free korg app for my phone instead

yeah pocket operators seem kinda expensive to just play with on a whim

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Postin on teh Pentium page. Don’t let urself get fooled by teh Megahertz Myth!!!1!!!1!!

:ohdear:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Schadenboner posted:

Postin on teh Pentium page. Don’t let urself get fooled by teh Megahertz Myth!!!1!!!1!!

:ohdear:

this time around apple can just keep the specifications secret when they switch to arm in macs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

poty posted:

lol gently caress off gruber. i like panic they make good mac apps but im pretty sure you could find 5 products this amazing every day on kickstarter if you cared to look
it is kind of impressive that they wrote their own os for it from scratch

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

but yeh the gpd xd plus i bought my brother is way more impressive because it plays san andreas and kotor and an n64 emulator

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

powermac posted:

Teenage engineering is hipster garbage for morons.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

akadajet posted:

so it's a perfect fit for apple fans :smugdog:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

macos

bluetooth

is

made

of

poop

and

farts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

bluetooth

is

poop

eliminate redundancy for cleaner writing

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

macos

bluetooth

is

made

of

poop

and

farts

when the fan kicks in on my 2018 MBP, there's a chance my bluetooth connections cut out.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

when the fan kicks in on my 2018 MBP, there's a chance my bluetooth connections cut out.

luckily macbooks are well-known for their excellent thermals

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

another feather in the cap of fanless laptops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
lmao. idk what the post install process for mojave is doing but holy poo poo, it manages to make the computer completely unusable

like apps take literally minutes to launch and poo poo just randomly locks and beachballs

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

infernal machines posted:

lmao. idk what the post install process for mojave is doing but holy poo poo, it manages to make the computer completely unusable

like apps take literally minutes to launch and poo poo just randomly locks and beachballs

it's probably spotlight and/or icloud

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog

infernal machines posted:

lmao

big ouya fan here

did you also own an og olpc?

I had a Palm T|X, two Danger Sidekicks and a newton so sure

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog

akadajet posted:

its me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i might buy one, but only so I can say "hang on I'm gonna crank one out"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it's probably spotlight and/or icloud

it's spotlight yeah. you have to temporarily turn it off if you were hoping to use your computer the same day you install mojave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. what the gently caress?

even microsoft can figure out how to throttle/sleep the indexer so it doesn't shithouse performance while the pc is in use