Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

What’s with the story missions? I am stuck at 68% - but I haven’t seen another one pop in days. I just completed “Destroyed with Grief”. Is there another one?

Same, for the record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shift your honor in the opposite direction of wherever it's at.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Oh Snapple! posted:

Shift your honor in the opposite direction of wherever it's at.

No kidding - if I have low honor different story missions pop online? I’m going to give that a shot, pay the honor guy to lower mine.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

No kidding - if I have low honor different story missions pop online? I’m going to give that a shot, pay the honor guy to lower mine.

Nah, just roll into town and start mowing down NPCs. Take open worlds missions that lower your honor. Stab a bunch of chickens, goats, pigs, and cows on farms.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

interaction menu > quick join > story mission on-call

Eventually you will get the 4 or 5 missions that are gated. Or murder NPCs and cops and stuff as was mentioned but definitely do not pay to switch your honor

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Meanwhile I've got to find a way to flip my karma the other way, can't just walk through town being friendly with online

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Pay for it at the honor stand with honor bux

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I was hoping to not spend my gold on it is the thing

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Kill and skin a lot of animals. Clean and feed your horse. Pretty sure you get honor for choosing the "good" option in missions, so replay those and always choose that option. Do open world missions (if the npcs will actually give any that is lol) that gain you honor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does catching and throwing back fish still give you honor?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
breathing in this game gives you good honor. killing ppl ambushing you and giving your horse hay gives you good honor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zooted heh posted:

breathing in this game gives you good honor. killing ppl ambushing you and giving your horse hay gives you good honor.

You loose honor killing people chasing you's horse.

My dad would always get pissed off at westerns because no one shoots the horse, and now I know why :shrug:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Is there a way to set your horse for missions? Every time I start a mission I get the 'Scrawny Nag' instead of my actual horse which is the free PS4 War Horse.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Go to stables in the player menu, hit stables, specialty horses, pick story to your horse

I don't know why Scrawny Nag defaults to story when you switch horses, but it does

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Online, if I come across an NPC that is suppose to give a mission but he will not, am I missing some pre-requisite that the game isn't making clear, or is it a bug? Like, i've never been able to get the Random Stranger, or NPC at the train stations, to actually give me any missions.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

In Online, if I come across an NPC that is suppose to give a mission but he will not, am I missing some pre-requisite that the game isn't making clear, or is it a bug? Like, i've never been able to get the Random Stranger, or NPC at the train stations, to actually give me any missions.

Normally - you need to be a good cowboy/bad cowboy based on the mission. If you can't do it because of honor, it's greyed out with the cowboy symbol.

But there is something going on where the missions don't launch - you just stand there and sometimes it doesn't even grey out the 'Accept' button; it just doesn't show up. That kept happening last night, and when I would turn around to go back to my horse it was invisible - but I couldn't ride it.

TulliusCicero posted:

Go to stables in the player menu, hit stables, specialty horses, pick story to your horse

I don't know why Scrawny Nag defaults to story when you switch horses, but it does

Awesome - thank you.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

titties posted:

interaction menu > quick join > story mission on-call

Eventually you will get the 4 or 5 missions that are gated. Or murder NPCs and cops and stuff as was mentioned but definitely do not pay to switch your honor

I just tied this about ten times and got the same two missions for every time but one. And they're pretty slow/dull missions.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Why when I choose camp online and pick my location does it do nothing?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
it's the server. I was having the same problem with it last night. I had to find a new one. This game is so loving broken.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Normally - you need to be a good cowboy/bad cowboy based on the mission. If you can't do it because of honor, it's greyed out with the cowboy symbol.

But there is something going on where the missions don't launch - you just stand there and sometimes it doesn't even grey out the 'Accept' button; it just doesn't show up. That kept happening last night, and when I would turn around to go back to my horse it was invisible - but I couldn't ride it.

I don't understand this at all. :( How do you become a good or bad cowboy/girl?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zooted heh posted:

it's the server. I was having the same problem with it last night. I had to find a new one. This game is so loving broken.

This makes me sad. I really want to love Red Dead Online.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It’s the honor system. There are some missions that are locked based on your honor. You start out with good honor after the first couple missions they make you join during the tutorial if I remember correctly. The low honor stranger missions are more fun as they involve kidnapping and murdered. High honor are all “can you recover my stolen cart?” missions, kinda dull.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friends and I had some crazy bugs last night. No random encounters. No NPCs spawning (outside of vendors). When bandit camps actually spawned, they were untargetable and unkillable. They also ignored us.
Got some nostalgic SWG vibes.

titties
May 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Easy and free ways to be a naughty boy:
Go to Thieves landing and kill the del lobos gang members. Unless it was fixed, they will spawn in waves and as long as you only kill del lobos I don't think the law will be alerted but you will get dinged on your honor.

Or just ride into a town, shoot it up, and kill all the law that rides in. Downside is that you'll rack up a bounty.

Using free roam missions doesn't work very well because if you feed your horse like twice you're back to max honor.

titties fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 26, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I FOUND A MOOSE :D

A LADY MOOSE WITH NO ANTLERS :argh:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you play a competitive mode, make sure it's Overrun. It's very good. Fast paced and it's designed to keep you moving. Doubly so if it's not one of the ones that go in a straight line. Avoid the "Large" playlist. It's mostly dead and chances are you'll just get stuck in an infinite black loading screen.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
1.10 patch just dropped. Claims to improve stability. Probably a load of hogwash but we shall see R* you loving bitches

e: lasted a whole hour before disconnected

gently caress you in the rear end R*

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been playing for a couple hours without a DC or or CTD so far. Stranger missions seem to be actually working, too. Have seen a number of wagons without any people on them, though. Those horses sure are dedicated to their work.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Wish they’d do a new game+ option. :sigh:

Been thinking about the game and how much I appreciated the journal, completely unnecessary but adds a lot beyond just a recap to get Arthur’s internal dialogue about what happens to and around him.

I started playing another cover shooter, the Uncharted games, and the shooting isn’t nearly as satisfying though I’m still on uncharted 2 so maybe it’s not fair to compare, but RDR1 was still better shooting wise. Still fun though.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I’m trying over and over to join a Head for the Hills Match and it sends me to spectate, every single time. From the pause menu, from the online splash screen, even directly in the map at one of the markers. Is anyone else having this issue?

It really sucks they got rid of Overrun for this.

Edit: this is happening with any matches I try to join. It’s like Rockstar doesn’t want me to play this game.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

PlushCow posted:

Wish they’d do a new game+ option. :sigh:

Been thinking about the game and how much I appreciated the journal, completely unnecessary but adds a lot beyond just a recap to get Arthur’s internal dialogue about what happens to and around him.

I started playing another cover shooter, the Uncharted games, and the shooting isn’t nearly as satisfying though I’m still on uncharted 2 so maybe it’s not fair to compare, but RDR1 was still better shooting wise. Still fun though.

the only uncharted game where the shooting feels
good and is better than an absolute chore is 4 (and LL)

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I haven't beat the game yet, I'm not even past Rhodes, but it feels like this is one of the most solid games I've ever played that Rockstar built a wall of chores around. Like I understand the whole earning "games as art" link on your game's Wikipedia page, but there are so many parts of this game that feel unpolished or disruptive to game flow.

The fact there hasn't been a quality of life patch to make a few simple changes blows my mind. It's great, but the game could be very improved without even having to lose the slow pace.

EDIT: I've decided my inability to knife or punch people even when focused on a target and using the controls is the most annoying.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 31, 2019

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
I'm looking for friends to play the RDR2 online with. I'm a disabled man with nothing but time on my hands but need someone to do stuff with. My PSN is BarkingSquirrel1

titties
May 10, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

EDIT: I've decided my inability to knife or punch people even when focused on a target and using the controls is the most annoying.

Just so we're clear, you're locked on with L2, your hands are empty or only holding a knife, and you're trying to attack with circle / the right-most face button?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

titties posted:

Just so we're clear, you're locked on with L2, your hands are empty or only holding a knife, and you're trying to attack with circle / the right-most face button?

Yep. Sometimes it will only let me Antagonize, other times it will simply do nothing at all, and most often Arthur just stands there as I keep pressing circle. I've also had the melee prompt come up in the corner, but when I press circle in those situations nothing happens and often they begin shooting at me - which I've never been able to punch or knife back at.

I've done it holding a knife and barehanded, both seem to often not work. I'm wondering if maybe fist fights need to be prompted by the NPC and you can't just slug people? There must be something I'm not getting or a setting I've toggled.

titties
May 10, 2012

Oh, okay. So they're not hostile and you're just trying to attack them? For some reason the game does not like you to do that, and especially if you're in the party of the game where Dutch has asked the gang not to use weapons or start fights in town.

See if you can taunt someone until they start fistfighting you, i don't usually have a problem doing melee attacks once an NPC had squared up

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

titties posted:

Oh, okay. So they're not hostile and you're just trying to attack them? For some reason the game does not like you to do that, and especially if you're in the party of the game where Dutch has asked the gang not to use weapons or start fights in town.

See if you can taunt someone until they start fistfighting you, i don't usually have a problem doing melee attacks once an NPC had squared up

I'll see if I was near the no trouble zone, and also make a point to try to antagonize someone into fighting when far away from Rhodes.

The game not liking it makes sense. I'll let you know how it goes. Of course, awesome lasso and throwing knife attacks still work even when I can't punch or knife so it's not the end of the world even if I want my cool punching cowboy moments.

EDIT: Here is an example. I spent a couple minutes trying to stab or punch this prospector.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 1, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

EDIT: Here is an example. I spent a couple minutes trying to stab or punch this prospector.

arthur just doesn't want to hurt people's feelings :(

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I'm looking for friends to play the RDR2 online with. I'm a disabled man with nothing but time on my hands but need someone to do stuff with. My PSN is BarkingSquirrel1

fr sent, malakai713 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
need help leveling?

my goon friend Alpha-is-Awesome shared this video with me

it shows a minmax method for gaining xp by shooting all the mans in Thieves Landing. I didn't go as hard as the guy in the video or even change my cards and I got from 30 to 38 in like 4 hours over a couple days. I do have the 'dead eye restores health' card upgraded so that helped.

the idea is basically to kill all the npcs in Thieves Landing with headshots from horseback using special ammo, in dead eye when possible, for maximum xp. try to kill the witnesses to keep cops away, but if they come it's ok. just kill em all, ride out of town, and come back to respawn everyone