Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Watchmen is a good comic because it accomplishes the goals of a comic well but is not good art independent of its genre trappings

Uh oh, we've got a galaxy brain over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

please stop trying to be funny about anime

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

please stop anime

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Very much so

Good stories that are comics are good independent of what makes them good comics

Building Stories is a comic that is good as a work of art

Watchmen is a good comic because it accomplishes the goals of a comic well but is not good art independent of its genre trappings

Naruto is a good anime, but it is not a anime that is good

God bless

I get what you're saying, like I think Gurren Lagann works as an anime but is legitimately kind of a bad story, but I think the way you're framing this argument is kind of pretentious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

#banime

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So Defunctland has a pretty neat documentary series on Jim Hensen's work in the entertainment history and his attempts to broaden the appeal of puppetry and all that fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVoGf1JTVeI

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

No.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a cartoon duck posted:

So Defunctland has a pretty neat documentary series on Jim Hensen's work in the entertainment history and his attempts to broaden the appeal of puppetry and all that fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVoGf1JTVeI

Defunctland does really good work, been watching this and it's remarkably compelling.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I should probably mention the series isn't finished yet, probably will be with an episode next week, but yeah the dude's pretty good at the whole documentary style thing. It's also free from comedic or sarcastic or really any kinda asides for people that aren't into that sorta stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol no. Part of what makes Watchmen so great is the way it uses the medium to tell the story.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arist posted:

Defunctland does really good work, been watching this and it's remarkably compelling.

If you like Defunctland's videos on the extinct theme park attractions, Yesterworld has more interesting ones to watch, too. His video on Beastly Kingdom is a great supplement to the Jenny Nicholson one on the Avatarland that was built in its place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbNZmPiNmQ

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Arist posted:

I get what you're saying, like I think Gurren Lagann works as an anime but is legitimately kind of a bad story, but I think the way you're framing this argument is kind of pretentious.

welcome to mel mudkiper

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is no good anime because any good anime is good on it's own merits and not as a tool of the genre

Perfect Blue is a good movie animated in Japan but that doesnt make it a good anime

Nice escape hatch, coward

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol no. Part of what makes Watchmen so great is the way it uses the medium to tell the story.

The Fearful symmetry sceme is one of the best two page spreads ever done in comics.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Fearful symmetry sceme is one of the best two page spreads ever done in comics.

Not only that, but the entire issue has a symmetrical layout with specific panels mirrored. It's nuts how well-done it is.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Very much so

Good stories that are comics are good independent of what makes them good comics

Building Stories is a comic that is good as a work of art

Naruto is a good anime, but it is not a anime that is good

God bless

Frankly, this strikes me as the justifications of a person who is ashamed of what they like. Just admit you like an anime and a comic and call it a day.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Solitair posted:

welcome to mel mudkiper

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
If you liked "The Medium is the Message" then you'll just love "some art is just objectively good via magic, actually."

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

please stop trying to be funny about anime

Nothing is more hilarious than the most gbs fucktards going Anime xD

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What the hell is going on with this thread?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Nobody is willing to talk about anime except from behind four protective layers of irony.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Anybody in this thread smoke weed?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Anime never really began.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

watho posted:

On occasion. My brother's girlfriend tried for the first time last weekend. That was funny.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

How Sitcoms (Roseanne, All In The Family) Discuss Racism

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

watho posted:

I mean I'm Dutch so...
Like 3-4x a year, preferably in edible form.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Serial Experiments Lain is good.

Real spicy hot take there, I know

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Alaois posted:

Boomer. Boomer chud corncob. Chud boomer milkshake duck? Milkshake corncob boomer.

That'll be $23.50, please drive up to the payment window.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

trigger has been involved in precisely two TV shows worth talking about and KLK sure isn't one of them, especially after six years.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

trigger has been involved in precisely two TV shows worth talking about and KLK sure isn't one of them, especially after six years.

Unless you're a giant animation nerd, of course, because they showcased some really impressive poo poo in that series. Especially Episode 4, which was a masterclass in what you can do with extremely limited animation.

LWA is a more palatable watch that's less likely to freak out your roommate if you're into that sort of thing, though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think LWA is the only show they've ever made that's worth a watch.

It also has thr major advantage of not falling apart at the end like all their other shows.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i've watched akira more than once, and in two different dubs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KLK is hilarious and (imo) the nudity is too ridiculous and cartoony for me to even process it as being sexy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is no good anime because any good anime is good on it's own merits and not as a tool of the genre

Perfect Blue is a good movie animated in Japan but that doesnt make it a good anime

sorry dude, you like anime. admit to yourself and God that you are a nerd or you will never grow as a person

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 25, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Roth posted:

I think LWA is the only show they've ever made that's worth a watch.

It also has thr major advantage of not falling apart at the end like all their other shows.

SSSS.Gridman is pretty great. Director is an Gainax alumnus who took all the right lessons from Gunbuster and NGE, while the writer is a rock-solid toku veteran with some decent anime under his belt (like the first series - the good one - of Rage of Bahamut).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

SSSS.Gridman is pretty great. Director is an Gainax alumnus who took all the right lessons from Gunbuster and NGE, while the writer is a rock-solid toku veteran with some decent anime under his belt (like the first series - the good one - of Rage of Bahamut).

Would that be this director?

Rikka Takarada's age is listed as 15.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 25, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Gridman was ok, but the very obvious fanservice was a bit of a downer, and I don't remember most of the characters' names.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Would that be this director?
https://i.imgur.com/H0Rc5Lo.jpg
Rikka Takarada's age is listed as 15.

I'm prepared to go a little easier on it because it's very specifically aimed at horny, confused teenagers of about that age with a message directly about teenage emotional issues in much the same way as NGE was. KLK, on the other hand, makes no bones about being a show for adults who want to ogle animated teenagers.

I mean, yeah, intellectually, it's a weird thing to see adults talking about how to inject sex appeal into a show aimed at teens, but on the other hand, it's absolutely what a teenage audience tends to want because it's an important and confusing new part of their life that they would appreciate having the art they consume reflect back at them (hence the prevalence of incredibly filthy fanfiction of pretty much anything that's popular with teenagers).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hot take, there're only about 5 good anime right now. Kirby Right Back at ya!, Flying Witch, Mob Psycho 100, Undertale and Devil May Cry.

Tons of great Manga though. And everything else is garbage for people like me! I throw it on the ground and then I get in there and eat the garbage! I'm the trashman!

Also, the best part of KLK is the fanart of the main girl drawing Shadow the Hedgehog as her original character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

RareAcumen posted:

Hot take, there're only about 5 good anime right now. Kirby Right Back at ya!, Flying Witch, Mob Psycho 100, Undertale and Devil May Cry.

Tons of great Manga though. And everything else is garbage for people like me! I throw it on the ground and then I get in there and eat the garbage! I'm the trashman!

Also, the best part of KLK is the fanart of the main girl drawing Shadow the Hedgehog as her original character.
Jojo's Pt 5 is objectively great :colbert: