Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When your planet stops being the capital of the galaxy after 10,000+ years, then the new capital gets loving exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
They should have destroyed Coruscant and Jakku in the first one. The latter woulda made Rey's identity conflict much deeper / dire.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would have made the galaxy reverting to the space middle ages make more sense for sure. As is you have no choice but to conclude that the new republic pursued a radical galactic deindustrialization/depopulation agenda

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
It's literally always been the space middle ages though...

Edit: that's kinda how colonization would work, even with FTL magic travel.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Other than the jedi (who are portrayed as more or less deluded and out of sync with the times), I'd say pretty much nothing about the setting in the prequels is particularly middle ages. There's a city planet with trillions of people, recognizably modern means of industry, economics, communication, politics, entertainment, warfare, etc. You can't even say disney threw out that aspect consistently because Solo has a colossally industrialized city planet too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The politics seems to be a weird mix of democracy and aristocracy, the details of how that works never being explained.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

YaketySass posted:

The politics seems to be a weird mix of democracy and aristocracy, the details of how that works never being explained.

This thread is about Star Wars

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Preston Waters posted:

Johnson had a shot but lol if you think he was going to be able to crush it with Disney breathing down his neck. That's why the crap like Hoth part II happened

All those planets and you choose to be salty.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
INSHALLAH

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1131709439755444224

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jerk McJerkface posted:

All those planets and you choose to be salty.

I liked TLJ tho. Leagues better than TFA. I just wish Abrams hadn't wasted having Harrison Ford back with a goddamn remake

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Lol even the space yak horses are getting basically that one space alien design. Someone at Disney must really really really like that design

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
It's amazing how much of Finn's character was squandered. He could have been a badass stormtrooper commando that switched sides but instead they made him into a janitor. TFA and TLJ even progressively make him dumber and dumber until his character is a total joke.

It also feels kind of racist to me that a major POC character has to be a janitor. Make him a badass trooper with PTSD type character ffs.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

i can kinda see what's being getting at here. one of the pretty consistent throughlines of TLJ is intergenerational conflict among people who are supposed to be allies. luke and rey, luke and ben, snoke and ben, holdo and poe, all these relationships have someone keeping critical information from the other and things go badly as a result of it. rey and ben in particular constantly have it reiterated to them that the other one is the enemy and must be destroyed but once they're given the opportunity to just like, talk to each other without being able to ruin it by resorting to violence they end up having a connection and find ways to relate to each other. it all feels very UC gundam, just with force skype substituting for newtype connections

of course once the throne fight scene is over you can practically feel the movie forcibly shove itself away from any kind of nuance described above and go back to 'blue lightsaber good, red lightsaber evil'
Maybe if you squint a little. But feels like a stretch

:byodame: Quick! We need to get the hardcore fans back aboard, let's massacre KOTOR for them!

celewign posted:

It's amazing how much of Finn's character was squandered. He could have been a badass stormtrooper commando that switched sides but instead they made him into a janitor. TFA and TLJ even progressively make him dumber and dumber until his character is a total joke.

It also feels kind of racist to me that a major POC character has to be a janitor. Make him a badass trooper with PTSD type character ffs.

I agree with this so much. TFA worked well enough with Finns storm trooper history, but TLJ really should've focused on his reasons for quitting. But instead just...did TFA storyline again and really went with the janitor angle.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

celewign posted:

They half-assed the idea by going with "uhh, he wasn't in a position to hurt people", removing any bite to the concept of a reformed stormtrooper.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Lol even the space yak horses are getting basically that one space alien design. Someone at Disney must really really really like that design

I haven't seen it but I assume you mean the Neville Page

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

thrawn527 posted:

I legit love Mark Hamill in Wing Commander III, and if I ever meet him, that’s probably the performance I’d bring up. That or The Joker.

now he will be the face of Star Citizen for eternity! because that's how long the release date is

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just discovered that I actually have Wing Commander 3 in my ORigin library. It was probably a free game at some point. What a nice surprise, now to budget for a joystick.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There ae so many directions Finn could have gone after TFA. Maybe he points out the other stormtroopers are indoctrinated children like he was and are victims of the FO that need saving like everyone else. So he becomes hesitant to shoot them or tries to start fomenting revolt among them. Or conversely maybe seeing that theres more to life than being the Space-Unsullied and the norma life he was denied has made him super violent and bitter. Like he's going around shooting first asking questions later and the heroes have to pull him from the brink before he does something truly heinous. But no lets have him remain unchanged from scene one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The stormtroopers did nothing wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Finn’s entire plotline in TLJ should have been redone completely

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The worst part about Finn is that there are just enough good scenes with him that you can see how he could have been a great character. Everything from the Jakku attack up until Poe's death* is largely good, as is his confrontation with Kylo at the end. It's just everything in the middle that's bad.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Schwarzwald posted:

The worst part about Finn is that there are just enough good scenes with him that you can see how he could have been a great character. Everything from the Jakku attack up until Poe's death* is largely good, as is his confrontation with Kylo at the end. It's just everything in the middle that's bad.

He was primarily used for comic relief and Han Solo being Han Solo.

edit: which is fine because Boyega is a pretty good actor for that. Attack the Block comes to mind.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 24, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

celewign posted:

It's really weird that they set him up to be a major character but then both films have him in an ineffective sidekick role.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

celewign posted:

I'm convinced the janitor thing is some last minute poo poo they wrote in for the trash compactor joke to work and not actually part of his (whatever minimal) character outline. Otherwise you'd expect some sort of story about how this janitor rose to the position of serving in ultra badass (for some reason that is never shown) Cpt Phasmas unit and directly under Kylo Ren. But nope we just get elite commado who goes full PTSD at the first sign of combat death.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

My first reaction was to hate this. However, if they go the SWTOR cutscene route then it could be fun to watch at least. I mean, they did sucker me into playing an incredibly mediocre MMO.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
my favorite part of kotor comics is the lightsabers with cords and battery packs (?)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

my favorite part of kotor comics is the lightsabers with cords and battery packs (?)

Proto-Sabers are good

Would be interesting to see if they adhere to the older artstyle or put a modern spin on it for no reason

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What’s the safest, most obvious, boring approach they could possibly do?

It’ll be that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s the safest, most obvious, boring approach they could possibly do?

It’ll be that.

just straight up adapting kotor1 wouldn't be a terrible idea

you'd have to excise some of the planets and some of the more ancillary party members because it's a long-rear end game but it'd work

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you were to turn Kotor 1 into a movie, you'd have to excise the "collect four keys to open the final dungeon" part of the plot.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m excited to see what D&D have in store with KOTOR

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

pospysyl posted:

If you were to turn Kotor 1 into a movie, you'd have to excise the "collect four keys to open the final dungeon" part of the plot.

"To unlock Starkiller Base, you need to find the Millennium Falcon."

"To unlock the planet of Ahch-To, you must first find and connect two pieces of a map."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You're right, I should have specified that they'd want to make a good movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I hope they don't just do KOTOR the game. We already had a movie where a protagonist with a mysterious past becomes a Jedi while dealing with a plot involving a map to an ancient place that a legendary Jedi had visited in the past, and that was too derivative the first time around.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The MacGuffin will be replaced with Han's dice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

YaketySass posted:

The MacGuffin will be replaced with Han's dice.
Don’t even give them that idea

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Polo-Rican posted:

It's really weird that they set him up to be a major character but then both films have him in an ineffective sidekick role.

In TLJ he actually has a more clearly defined character arc than Rey. Unfortunately, said well-defined arc is tedious and unsatisfying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

In TLJ he actually has a more clearly defined character arc than Rey. Unfortunately, said well-defined arc is tedious and unsatisfying.
I almost love that this unnecessary, meandering sideplot just ends with them being betrayed and their mission being irrelevant but it doesn’t even matter since Holdo saves them by ramming the ship

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

PTSD former stormtrooper on a mission to save a loved one and the galaxy upon arriving: WOW CRAPS TABLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I almost love that this unnecessary, meandering sideplot just ends with them being betrayed and their mission being irrelevant but it doesn’t even matter since Holdo saves them by ramming the ship

Which is something autopilot could have done at any time