Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Does the terra cotta paint refract transverse sound waves or only amplitude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm slightly concerned with the TV being mounted directly above the fireplace with no gap and without a mantle to protect it.

I say "slightly" because, well, it's not my TV now is it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

I feel like this picture will elicit feedback from the thread.

*holds microphone next to the speaker*

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think this thread should have a rule that any posts of user equipment should require a price tag. How much is that speaker?

That being said, I can sense a cat litter box somewhere outside the frame. Also, how much did you spend on room treatments? Is that a custom conduit run on the wall?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LRADIKAL posted:

I think this thread should have a rule that any posts of user equipment should require a price tag. How much is that speaker?

https://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW

$325 ain't bad, especially for a pair.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's all just slapped together from my apartment kit.

We have not decided what paint we want to cover the brown with, and I recently lost my job, so I've been focusing on other projects that don't cost hundreds or take days to complete.

The TV is on an articulating mount mostly to the left of, and in front of the fireplace. The fireplace only radiates around 180F at the glass, and any heat that radiates to the TV only makes it slightly warm to the touch after 6 hours.

This mount is bolted to a solid beam inside and along the front edge of the shelf. It is positioned at an angle so that all seats on both the couch and the sectional have a decent view of the screen.

The receiver I think I got around 200 bucks, and the speakers for 350. The only room treatment is pointing my speakers to where I'll be sitting, and whatever dampening the art we have up on the walls does.

Thank you for allowing me to defend my cheap then, free now stereo system along with the design in my house over an impromptu picture I took in my gym shorts. I hope my choices did not upset you too much.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lol one of these is on Audiogon

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8h741-bybee-technologies-power-purifier-distribution-8-outlets-ac-conditioners

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I clicked 'items from this seller'
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9093a-tara-labs-the-2-ism-onboard-1m-rca-excellent-condition-interconnects
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9ab7h-zensati-authentica-speaker-cables-2-5-meters-new-speaker

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... no.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9c16h-synergistic-research-tesla-plex-se-wall-outlet-quantum-tunneled-with-1-million-volts-tweaks

NO THIS DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

Norm Luttbeg, Dagogo.com:
"...there is no better demonstration of the benefits of the TESLA inspired treatment."

EL BROMANCE, somethingawful.com:
“...and this is one of many reasons I want to punch Norm Luttbeg in the face.”

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"Quantum tunnelling" is an old audiophool term. I first remember seeing it when that fruitcake Italian guy built those horn subs under the floor of his room. The site was in Italian but with an online dictionary I worked out that he was saying (and building/selling) a piece of kit that he said would 'go back in time' to the point when the music was first recorded to ensure you were hearing the best possible version of your music. It was wild and recently a friend posted those exact same pictures, I found the link to the site again and it's clear the guy has gone full fuckin' whacko...

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm#THE%20REAL%20TOTAL%20HORN

quote:

God has chosen the Land of the Holy Cross (Anguera-Brazil) to announce to the world what will happen

and CROP CIRCLEs to give the last chance to human being

I'm wondering just how close audiophoolery is to legit recognised mental illness. I mean they're claiming to hear things that aren't there...

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 25, 2019

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I mean it's ok to listen to your music on like...wharfedale gear or whatever.

I prefer to listen o the notes coming strisjg our of the muscinas head when he was 8 years old playing cellinand first learning the drums.

Thank au yifnd that t the timwlinked gear has an iiiimpact on yugodja abiykify to temaootalfb.m..........!

E:send quantum help

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"Quantum tunnelling" is an old audiophool term.

No. It's a real term with nearly a century of history that has been misappropriated by audiophools.

You are posting on this forum with a machine that makes practical use of quantum tunneling:

https://medium.com/@AndrewJanWalker/the-triumph-of-quantum-mechanics-at-the-heart-of-solid-state-data-storage-baa0c7b5a2ca

(even if you don't have a SSD, your computer has flash memory in several places to strore firmware)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Man audiogon had some crazy poo poo. 17.5k speaker cables? Get the gently caress outta here

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a living room setup as well as a set of bookshelf speakers I'm very happy with, but in my current situation I'm gaming on PC with a headset. Right now I'm using the bottom of the line Turtle Beach offering. My main complaints honestly are the length of the cord (plugged into an xbox controller that is in turn plugged into the computer) and the fact that my stupid head is too big and it creaks a lot and I wish I could pull down the cans just a bit more.

Headsets are essential for certain types of gaming as I am currently embroiled in. Is all the audio stuff mentioned in my motherboard marketing just gimmickry? Is a USB DAC essential? Which one should I get? I already have a condenser mic, arm and a Roland Duo Capture EX I have used for some very basic recording. Building this PC already put a strain on my relationship, as much as I'd love to go buy really nice gear I have to be a bit budget conscious on this, for now. At this juncture I have no real headphones, so presumably I'll need those as well. Help?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is the ridicule audiophiles thread. If you are happy with your motherboards sound performance, keep using it. If you get headphones and they are not loud enough, you might want an amp. If you spend more than a hundred dollars on any of it, you're over spending.

There's a headphone thread, an audio questions thread and I think even a gaming headset thread.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Have the audiophools infected those threads though? The headphone thread used to be terrible back in the day

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well they're in this thread, too, so probably.
I stand by my advice anyway. Especially if this guy is ruining his marriage by spending too much money on gear.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Agreed this is the wrong thread, but your complaints that you listed are all ergonomic, not sound quality. Just go try on some headsets til you find one that fits fine and doesn't have terrible reviews. Otherwise you're chasing some non-specific sound quality nonsense that you can't articulate. Your built-in sound is probably fine unless you have a specific complaint about it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Considering how often they try to co-opt this one, I'm surprised nobody's made a real audiophile thread yet. It sure would liven this place up.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Considering how often they try to co-opt this one, I'm surprised nobody's made a real audiophile thread yet. It sure would liven this place up.

I wonder if anyone would really fall for it though

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LRADIKAL posted:

This is the ridicule audiophiles thread. If you are happy with your motherboards sound performance, keep using it. If you get headphones and they are not loud enough, you might want an amp. If you spend more than a hundred dollars on any of it, you're over spending.

There's a headphone thread, an audio questions thread and I think even a gaming headset thread.

Honestly, it makes a certain kind of sense to come here. Where would you go if you didn't know enough to tell good advice from bad, but did know there was a thread explicitly for making fun of people who spend too much? And it's not like this forum doesn't have its share of tongue in cheek thread titles.

Still: lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Honestly, it makes a certain kind of sense to come here. Where would you go

How about HELL :evilbuddy:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

all about that anti-audiophile gangtag

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not sure how to do timestamps on mobile, but the Technology Connections guy has a nice bit around 10:50.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9f3cc-machina-dynamica-flying-saucers-for-windows-4-tweaks

quote:

Machina Dynamica's Flying Saucers for Windows are small one-inch adhesive-backed copper foils for all windows of the listening room, one foil per window. Flying Saucers may be placed anywhere on the window, for example in a corner of the window. Flying Saucers are directional. That’s right, folks. The copper foils work when they are oriented vertically on the glass.

Flying Saucers can also be used on windows in other rooms of the house. Flying Saucers provide much lower noise and distortion, with tremendous power, air and soundstaging.

New customer comment - “I bought these completely on a lark, because I've read about Machina Dynamica products for years and thought they were a ridiculous scam. however, as there have been so many positive transactions i figured what-the-hell. Long story short: despite my negative expectations, these things work. and its not subtle. there is an easily noticeable improvement in my system. i hear things in pieces music i've listened to for over 40 years. i know all the musical cues, where they come in, what information is there. With these things there is more. Perhaps its some psycho-accoustic suggestion, perhaps its explicable. i just dont know. but i do know they make a very good system sound better. i sure would like to know why.“

Customer Comment - "Tiny copper foil Flying Saucers are the single greatest tweak I have ever tried. A revolutionary single agent total system upgrade/optimizer. Must hear it to believe it possible. Totally surprising."

Our retail price per Flying Saucer is $8. We accept Paypal, check or MO. Shipping via USPS.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Genius.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

:discourse:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They should immediately release GOLD Flying Saucers at $80 each.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I'm probably missing a very obvious audiophile thing but why do windows do something for sound?

[edit] Oh nice, I found my next buy! A $190 dollar usb cable. YES
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9b77f-anticables-level-3-1-reference-series-usb-digital-interconnect-digital

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 14, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

redeyes posted:

I'm probably missing a very obvious audiophile thing but why do windows do something for sound?

The only thing you're missing is "Audiophiles are too stupid to figure out that Machina Dynamica is a parody site".

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Glass is a hard surface that should reflect sound fairly well so lots of windows is not gonna be great for a listening room. However, sticking tiny pieces of copper foil tape on your windows in random locations obviously does nothing to help with reflections.

Also, $8 for a single tiny <1” sq piece of copper foil tape is robbery. I recently bought some stainless steel tape pieces from some vendor on Amazon. That vendor is just buying 3M metal foil tape rolls in bulk and cutting them up for people like me who don’t need a whole roll. They had room to make a profit on mailing me a packet of 25 2”X1” pieces for a grand total of $4 including postage. Copper’s likely to be a bit more expensive, but not by a factor of 100.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

BobHoward posted:

Also, $8 for a single tiny <1” sq piece of copper foil tape is robbery. I recently bought some stainless steel tape pieces from some vendor on Amazon. That vendor is just buying 3M metal foil tape rolls in bulk and cutting them up for people like me who don’t need a whole roll. They had room to make a profit on mailing me a packet of 25 2”X1” pieces for a grand total of $4 including postage. Copper’s likely to be a bit more expensive, but not by a factor of 100.

Everything on Machina Dynamica is robbery. That's the entire point of the site.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is the best thing ever. Give that guy a medal.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Masturbatory and tornadic

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So you're telling me these headphones create a psychic link through time to the musician at the exact point they first conceived of the music and I am hearing it as they imagined it? Amazing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Man audiogon had some crazy poo poo. 17.5k speaker cables? Get the gently caress outta here

Each? Opus MM start at 33k a pair
https://www.transparentcable.com/collections/opus

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

How many levels of speaker cable bullshit are you on?
I don't know, like 33,000 my dude
You are like a little baby, watch this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

How many levels of speaker cable bullshit are you on?
I don't know, like 33,000 my dude
You are like a little baby, watch this

Has anyone actually bought these, and if so how snobby are they about graphic equalizers?