Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Can you recommend a good book on African history with an emphasis on pre-colonial sub-Saharan Africa? I'd love an African equivalent to 1491, but a good general history will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can you recommend a good book on African history with an emphasis on pre-colonial sub-Saharan Africa? I'd love an African equivalent to 1491, but a good general history will do.

It's not really a general history just because of how fragmentary it is(and that's mostly because of limited written sources) but I'm enjoying The Golden Rhinoceros by Francois-Xavier Fauvelle. It has a lot about North Africa but there's quite a bit of sub Saharan stuff there also.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hannibal Rex posted:

I can't vouch for it because it just came out, but Martin Meredith's new book The Fortunes of Africa seems to be this. I've read his other book, The Fate of Africa, which is basically the post-colonial version of what you're looking for and it's very good.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Can anybody here recommend a good general history of the Japanese Warring States period? Preference goes to works by Japanese authors translated into English, if there even are any.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

My understanding is that it's a bit dated but Roland Oliver and Anthony Atmore's Medieval Africa, 1250-1800 seemed to be a pretty good overview when I read it. Obviously if you want anything before 1250 it's not going to be too useful but I appreciated that it was a broad overview, covering every major region since I didn't have a lot of background knowledge at the time.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
what are good books on Rhodesia

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Hungry posted:

Can anybody here recommend a good general history of the Japanese Warring States period? Preference goes to works by Japanese authors translated into English, if there even are any.

A History of Japan, 1334-1615 is pretty good if you want a lot of details. Don't even bother with looking for translated stuff, I'm a Japan scholar and I've never even come across any. Suppose it's how we keep our jobs.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm looking for recommendations for the Mexican Revolution. I saw Villa and Zapata has been mentioned before, and I've read Born in Blood and Fire about Latin American history more broadly for a survey class a while back. Mike Duncan hasn't updated his bibliography yet or I'd start there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can't vouch for it because it just came out, but Martin Meredith's new book The Fortunes of Africa seems to be this. I've read his other book, The Fate of Africa, which is basically the post-colonial version of what you're looking for and it's very good.

Seconding Fate of Africa. Also his Diamonds, Gold and War is excellent, focused on South Africa

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stephen Platt's recent book Imperial Twilight about the Opium War is real good, ya'll.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

A History of Japan, 1334-1615 is pretty good if you want a lot of details. Don't even bother with looking for translated stuff, I'm a Japan scholar and I've never even come across any. Suppose it's how we keep our jobs.

why don't you do us all a favor then and publish some translations :mad:

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

NeilPerry posted:

Thanks! I'll poke around for that one.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Does anyone have any good recs for ancient and/or pre-colonial Indian history? I'd really like to learn more about the region's history before the British invaded.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm visiting Morocco at the end of May and would like to read up on the history so I know next to nothing. Something that covers from the ancient to the modern period would be excellent, but I realize I might not be able to get that in one book.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm currently working my way through SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard and I'm liking it pretty well, considering that I know jack poo poo about ancient or classical history (or really much detail about anything before around 1500). Is there a similar sort of birds-eye-view-with-some-social-history-splashed-in work for ancient/classical Egypt, or is a topic that old just impossible to do a social history for?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
going to germany in a couple of months and i'd really like a decent one-volume overview of its history. doesn't need to be comprehensive (obviously), but i'd like it to start in at least the middle ages. alternatively, a book that specifically covers the middle ages and one that covers the 20th century would be good as well. any suggestions?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Not comprehensive in any way but maybe try Germany: Memories of a Nation by Neil MacGregor.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's not at all what you want, but I recommend it anyway, because I think it's just a good book, and that's "Iron Kingdom - the Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600 - 1947" by Christopher Clark.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Epicurius posted:

"Iron Kingdom - the Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600 - 1947" by Christopher Clark.

C O R P O R A T E S T R U C T U R E S

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Epicurius posted:

It's not at all what you want, but I recommend it anyway, because I think it's just a good book, and that's "Iron Kingdom - the Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600 - 1947" by Christopher Clark.

I'll second this. I'm the first one to point out how Germany is more than Prussia, but when it comes to modern German political history an overview of Prussia really gives you the big hits. It's an excellent book and is my go-to when someone asks me for a one-volume on modern Germany.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Any good books on the ottoman invasions into the Balkans? Open to broader histories of the Ottoman Empire if they cover that in detail.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Starks posted:

Any good books on the ottoman invasions into the Balkans? Open to broader histories of the Ottoman Empire if they cover that in detail.

Andrew Wheatcroft's The Enemy at the Gate: Hapsburgs, Ottomans and the Battle For Europe, focuses on the siege of Vienna in 1683 but spends a good long stretch laying out the process of Ottoman expansion in the Balkans. Excellent use of primary sources from contemporary travelers and the old Hapsburg war archives.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Andrew Wheatcroft's The Enemy at the Gate: Hapsburgs, Ottomans and the Battle For Europe, focuses on the siege of Vienna in 1683 but spends a good long stretch laying out the process of Ottoman expansion in the Balkans. Excellent use of primary sources from contemporary travelers and the old Hapsburg war archives.

That was a very good read both on the broader requested topic and for the event in question. For Ottoman history in general, which is just... fascinating overall, and which also covers the requested topic in good detail, I really, really enjoyed Osman's Dream by Caroline Finkel. Great one-volume history of the Ottoman Empire top to bottom.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Something I've been meaning to post here. Matthew White, author of The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities (a book I like probably more than I should) is currently working on a history of democracy and has been posting the chapters he's written online. I thought this might be of interest to the people in this thread. I'm posting the direct links to each chapter in this list since White's site can be a little hard to navigate.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The_Other posted:

Something I've been meaning to post here. Matthew White, author of The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities (a book I like probably more than I should) is currently working on a history of democracy and has been posting the chapters he's written online. I thought this might be of interest to the people in this thread. I'm posting the direct links to each chapter in this list since White's site can be a little hard to navigate.

i like how russia is listed as a democracy only from 1991 to 2004. thought provoking stuff

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

smr posted:

That was a very good read both on the broader requested topic and for the event in question. For Ottoman history in general, which is just... fascinating overall, and which also covers the requested topic in good detail, I really, really enjoyed Osman's Dream by Caroline Finkel. Great one-volume history of the Ottoman Empire top to bottom.

Seconding Osman's Dream, which I've not read myself but heard good things about, and adding to the list Empires of the Sea: The Contest for the Center of the World by Roger Crowley, an excellent history of the golden age of Mediterranean galley warfare in the 16th Century, with plenty of attention paid to both particular military episodes (the Ottoman siege of Malta, the naval battle of Lepanto) and the economic/social causes that generated, drove, and finally brought an end to the galley wars. My favorite section is the deep biographical dive into the pirate king Hayreddin Barbarossa.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A human heart posted:

i like how russia is listed as a democracy only from 1991 to 2004. thought provoking stuff

When would you say it was a democracy?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

1917-1991 :ussr:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyone who uncritically regurgitates the myth about Magna Carta (particularly its original 1215 form) being of any relevance to anyone than a few extremely wealthy and long-dead noblemen, for about 30 seconds, wants all their opinions taking with a huge pinch of salt; cf Lord Sumption's skeptical speech for the 800th anniversary.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

When would you say it was a democracy?

well obviously that guy is a dumbass who thinks that democracy means 'has parliamentary elections' but the idea that russian under putin isn't a democracy but that russia under yeltsin was is pretty funny specifically.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A human heart posted:

well obviously that guy is a dumbass who thinks that democracy means 'has parliamentary elections' but the idea that russian under putin isn't a democracy but that russia under yeltsin was is pretty funny specifically.

I mean, it was more of a democracy under Yeltsin, I guess.

Russia really doesn't have much of a democratic tradition, does it? They've had, what, one actually fair election ever?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Silver2195 posted:

Russia really doesn't have much of a democratic tradition, does it? They've had, what, one actually fair election ever?

Russia was basically immune to the Enlightenment so yeah, no democratic tradition whatsoever.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Can someone recommend me a book about the War of 1812? I know basically nothing about it, so something intro-y would be good.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Russia was basically immune to the Enlightenment so yeah, no democratic tradition whatsoever.

???

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

i don't think the guy who was so unpopular that he shelled parliament with tanks and had to be re-elected with the explicit aid of the americans was a great example of democracy personally

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Catherine the Great made some attempts to implement (her understanding of) Enlightenment ideas. It didn't go over very well with the nobles and she gave up, IIRC. Though I believe the "democratic" element of Catherine's attempted "reforms" was pretty limited even by the standards of the time anyway.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Catherine the Great made some attempts to implement (her understanding of) Enlightenment ideas. It didn't go over very well with the nobles and she gave up, IIRC. Though I believe the "democratic" element of Catherine's attempted "reforms" was pretty limited even by the standards of the time anyway.

She didn't give up. She died. And then her son, Paul I, made some reforms. He banned corporal punishment of non-serfs, introduced some laws protecting serfs, and made it easier for peasants to buy land. As a reaction against the French revolution, though, he also increased censorship and became more autocratic. Then, after he was assassinated by some nobles, his son Alexander I took the throne.

Alexander I started out governing with liberal ideas. He granted Russian Poland a constitution that was one of the more liberal ones in Europe, granting universal suffrage in Sejm elections to everyone 21 and older, let the Sejm impeach government ministers, and giving them the right to vote on most things. After a planned coup, though, and an assassination attempt, he decided, "Yep, the hell with liberalism. It just leads to revolution", and cracked down.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chernobyl books? Yeah, I'm just asking because of the TV show.

To be honest I'd love an audiobook because that's how I do most of my reading but the main three available are Midnight in Chernobyl, Chernobyl 1:23:40 and Chernobyl: The History of Nuclear Catastrophe and I'm not sure which I should go for?

Voices From Chernobyl seems like the one I actually want overall, but it's not audio so I dunno if I'd ever get around to actually reading it. :qq: I know.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Midnight in Chernobyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Look Sir Droids posted:

Midnight in Chernobyl.