Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Train to Busan made having to deal with your loved ones turning into zombies scary as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tart Kitty posted:

I've been playing Days Gone and while it's a bold choice to cast the player as a walking Monster energy drink can, there is a huge missed opportunity in not making Skoal cans healing items.

But it got me to thinking; when was the last time zombies were truly scary? I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of much recently. And I'm talking real-deal Zombie zombies.

Sean of the Dead

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Sean of the Dead

I've never heard of that film. But have you heard of Shaun of the Dead? The zombies are not very scary in that, and in fact there is an entire sequence where a zombie is pelted with various household objects.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tart Kitty posted:

I've been playing Days Gone and while it's a bold choice to cast the player as a walking Monster energy drink can, there is a huge missed opportunity in not making Skoal cans healing items.

But it got me to thinking; when was the last time zombies were truly scary? I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of much recently. And I'm talking real-deal Zombie zombies.

Resident Evil 2 remake?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

I've never heard of that film. But have you heard of Shaun of the Dead? The zombies are not very scary in that, and in fact there is an entire sequence where a zombie is pelted with various household objects.

It's been some years but that last stand in the bar was pretty tense

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

King Vidiot posted:

Who's to say it won't be?

On a related note, who would Neu-Faux-Chucky be? I can't think of a good example of a bad imitation of Bowie.

Jobriath

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tart Kitty posted:

I think the last zombie movie to actually get under my skin was [REC], and that was 2007.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yooooooo, Brightburn was really fun. I knew it was gonna be a Superman but evil movie from the trailer, but it went in an even darker direction than I anticipated. It had several crazy kills and some gory-rear end gore. I was laughing during all the kills because of how absurdly violent they were. Just a joy to watch :allears:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rageaholic posted:

Yooooooo, Brightburn was really fun. I knew it was gonna be a Superman but evil movie from the trailer, but it went in an even darker direction than I anticipated. It had several crazy kills and some gory-rear end gore. I was laughing during all the kills because of how absurdly violent they were. Just a joy to watch :allears:

I know what I'm doing tonight.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

IIRC FvJ is structured more like a Freddy movie anyway.

Yeah its a Freddy movie where only Jason kills anyone, outside of one. That part is so weird.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Told you guys it was a straight up, really personal gory horror movie and not the "oh Superman kills people" that you may have thought otherwise.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I said in the rate-your-latest thread, but Brightburn kinda undercuts the weight behind your standard what-if-Hero-was-bad story by flat out telling you early on that whoever sent the kid to Earth were invaders who specifically sent the kid down to be evil. Without that nugget of hope, without the wonder if someone is going to save this kid, without the notion that the kid could've been a Ka'el or a Hal Jordan, it's all just kinda... there, I guess? Movies like this are required to be, on some level, tragedies, and I didn't get that feeling from the movie.

I was really hoping for at least one scene where the kid overhears / superhears his parents having a non-cliched discussion about their kid, something to let him know that after all he's done, his parents are still concerned for him and his future, and fundamentally love him.

I mean, I had to avert my own eye at the glass in the eye scene, and my theater was sensibly chuckling when the dad offered to take his Currently Established To Be Super Strong And Stuff Alien Son hunting, but otherwise, whatever.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 25, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darko posted:

Yeah its a Freddy movie where only Jason kills anyone, outside of one. That part is so weird.

Being finally nearly finished with the Friday series I'm honestly not sure how you COULD write a movie that was either 50/50 Jason/Freddy or a Jason movie with Freddy in it. Like what would that be? Jason roaming through the woods killing random people and zeroing in on a final girl while Freddy torments her and her friends in their dreams? Doesn't that then become a Freddy movie because Freddy's MO is just so much more involved than Jason's rampaging indiscriminate animal MO.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MisterBibs posted:

I said in the rate-your-latest thread, but Brightburn kinda undercuts the weight behind your standard what-if-Hero-was-bad story by flat out telling you early on that whoever sent the kid to Earth were invaders who specifically sent the kid down to be evil. Without that nugget of hope, without the wonder if someone is going to save this kid, without the notion that the kid could've been a Ka'el or a Hal Jordan, it's all just kinda... there, I guess? Movies like this are required to be, on some level, tragedies, and I didn't get that feeling from the movie.

I was really hoping for at least one scene where the kid overhears / superhears his parents having a non-cliched discussion about their kid, something to let him know that after all he's done, his parents are still concerned for him and his future, and fundamentally love him.

I mean, I had to avert my own eye at the glass in the eye scene, and my theater was sensibly chuckling when the dad offered to take his Currently Established To Be Super Strong And Stuff Alien Son hunting, but otherwise, whatever.

They were so concerned with Brightbrun being a slasher horror movie that they didn't really explore the really interesting parts of the premise in favor of dumb gore and jump scares.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tart Kitty posted:

For me, it was Return of the Living Dead. With how fast they could run, I knew there'd be no way for me to outrun them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

REC and Quarantine both genuinely scared me. Train to Busan affected me but I don't think it scared me. Zombie Honeymoon actually really "scared" me in an emotional way but not the way we're talking. I think 28 Days Later managed to work up some tension? That's all that really comes to mind off the top of my head.

Return of the Living Dead sent a very young me from the spot I was hiding in behind the couch (so I could stay up and watch the R movie I wasn't supposed to be watching) running into the arms of my dad.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Basebf555 posted:

Just watched Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith and was blown away by it. It's on Netflix, did I miss a big discussion about this when it came out?

I just watched that too and was really pleasantly surprised! The part where the little girl first enters the blacksmith's basement and his snores are echoing throughout it like he's some kind of dragon, and then he wakes up and the whole personal hell he's built for himself comes to life with flames and chains and machinery was awesome.

I also liked all the folklore elements, with the slapstick humor and the devil hamming it up relentlessly. The ending made me really appreciate the amount of emotional labor that devils put into making sure all those damned souls get the hell experience that they're expecting.

Just a great, fun time all round.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

mcmagic posted:

They were so concerned with Brightbrun being a slasher horror movie that they didn't really explore the really interesting parts of the premise in favor of... jump scares.

this. it entirely wasted the premise. it was also filled with bad obvious musical cues.

there were some cool effects, and it built secent tension in the second act, but it just paid that off with...more jump scares?? seriously there were so many jump scares.

it's a huge loving disappointment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I dont want to see Brightburn because of it going all in on the horror gore aspect as it really has jumped deep into being an adaptation of Kid Miracleman and that is one of the single most traumatising things i read in my comic days. A movie length version of that just seems overkill and the visceral of not only unpleasant but genuinely uncomfortable.

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009
Everyone in this thread needs to go watch The Perfection on netflix. I make no promises for quality, but it is utterly ridiculous. A real 'go in blind or not at all' kinda film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay so I saw a picture of who Michael Rooker plays in Brightburn, I think, and I need to see this ASAP. Lmao.

Rooker as an Alex Jones rip-off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Okay so I saw a picture of who Michael Rooker plays in Brightburn, I think, and I need to see this ASAP. Lmao.

That guy doesn't enter the movie until the end credits, but huh, I didn't even know that was him!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CelticPredator posted:

it's literally like 30 seconds during the credits and not worth sitting through the rest of the movie for. wait till it's on youtube.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Still gonna see it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ozebane posted:

Everyone in this thread needs to go watch The Perfection on netflix. I make no promises for quality, but it is utterly ridiculous. A real 'go in blind or not at all' kinda film.

I wasn't crazy about it but it's worth seeing and definitely go in blind.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

28 days?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's funny that the day that I order Blood Harvest from Vinegar Syndrome, Joe Bob shows Blood Harvest on The Last Drive-In... and makes me instantly regret my purchase. :v:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ozebane posted:

The Perfection totally works for me. The director said in Q&A that part of the movie was inspired by a real life terror of being basically trapped on a bus in Mexico with diarrhea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Perfection is totally hosed up and a good watch. We don't get many good LGBT films and this one is non trope and very good.

Also , go in blind.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 25, 2019

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Counterpoint; “The Perfection” is absolute trash with zero redeeming moments.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

PuntCuncher posted:

Counterpoint; “The Perfection” is absolute trash with zero redeeming moments.

Yet another strong argument to watch it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Horror Fans " This movie is unredeemable absolute trash and the worst experience you can have in a theater"

Also Horror Fans " I'mma watch it"

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009

Snack Bitch posted:

The Perfection totally works for me. The director said in Q&A that part of the movie was inspired by a real life terror of being basically trapped on a bus in Mexico with diarrhea.

It's absolutely the most effective scene too. The rest of the film is shallow as all hell, but everything on the bus was very effective.

There was a moment where it seemed like it was going to be a film about a carer who finally gets freedom only to immediately fall in with a much more insidious and toxic dependant. I kinda want to see someone make that movie.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Is it just a trashier and more exploitative ripoff of The Handmaiden like it sounds?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Horror Fans " This movie is unredeemable absolute trash and the worst experience you can have in a theater"

Also Horror Fans " I'mma watch it"

I can't laugh at this. It's been me too many times.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My standard metric for horror is be anything, but don't be boring. As long as its not a slog, I'll give it a shot. Even if it's utter dreck.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

My standard metric for horror is be anything, but don't be boring. As long as its not a slog, I'll give it a shot. Even if it's utter dreck.

Yeah. And if it feels like the people making it actually care and are sincere, it goes a long way, too. So gently caress Sharknado and its ilk. I'd much rather watch honest garbo like The Dead Hate the Living and Jackhammer Massacre

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean that's the thing, though. I can't watch a horrible movie like Wish Upon, The Boy, Bye Bye Man or Truth or Dare and think anyone cared. They just wanted to put something in theaters that desperate horror fans might watch.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The Perfection was pretty decent. Owes a lot to Korean revenge thrillers. I suspect it wouldn’t hold up as well on a rewatch, but it’s a fun ride. As others have said, definitely go in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

I mean that's the thing, though. I can't watch a horrible movie like Wish Upon, The Boy, Bye Bye Man or Truth or Dare and think anyone cared. They just wanted to put something in theaters that desperate horror fans might watch.

There's at least 3 distinctly different categories of "terrible" horror films.

1) Really tried to make a good movie and it turned out terrible but enjoyable in a charming, ambitious, or ironic way.
2) Made no effort except to cash in on fans who will buy anything and its terrible.
3) Tried really hard to make an ironically bad movie on purpose and is just terrible.

The only one of those movies you named I've seen is The Boy and I'd put it in the first category since I just respect that they basically thought of like 3 twists and decided to include all of them. Its bad and dumb but in a charming unintentional way to me.