Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It'll be interesting to see what Nepal does. Their standard response has been to say "We're a poor country, we need the money."

There needs to be some per-day summit limit. Let the climbers have a battle royale, and the bleeding winners get to make a summit attempt the next day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Just limit the number of summit passes, put them on auction and let the Free Market™ take care of it. There are enough rich idiots to probably make what they get now and much more. The highest bidders get to sacrifice themselves to satiate the mountain's hunger, everybody wins.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

barbecue at the folks posted:

Just limit the number of summit passes, put them on auction and let the Free Market™ take care of it. There are enough rich idiots to probably make what they get now and much more. The highest bidders get to sacrifice themselves to satiate the mountain's hunger, everybody wins.

This honestly could be workable with a provision to maybe have previous high altitude ascents count as credits or something, so that well qualified mountaineers can be given access to perform their climbs and rich people subsidize the cost.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ewe2 posted:

Make K2 permits cheap.
Limit the number of Everest permits. Half are made available at a fixed price through a lottery system, only to those who have made proper summit attempts as other peaks first (ie, permits for actual climbers). The other half are auctioned off to the highest bidder (permits for rich dentists).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
permits hidden in wonka bars throughout the world

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Every country sends two climbers, a boy and a girl. If there are no volunteers, the climbers are picked at random with the draw weighed by the amount of social assistance they receive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

This honestly could be workable with a provision to maybe have previous high altitude ascents count as credits or something, so that well qualified mountaineers can be given access to perform their climbs and rich people subsidize the cost.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Limit the number of Everest permits. Half are made available at a fixed price through a lottery system, only to those who have made proper summit attempts as other peaks first (ie, permits for actual climbers). The other half are auctioned off to the highest bidder (permits for rich dentists).

Is there a reliable governing body that can certify that a given individual has made a summit attempt at a given peak, or that establishes what a well-qualified mountaineer is? It would have to operate in every country that a climber might climb a mountain in, of course.

I have a better idea. How about the international community pays, say, fifty million dollars a year to shut down Everest to all comers, permanently, provided all the money goes to sherpas. Hell we could bypass the government of Nepal and just have an NGO directly hire Sherpas to blockade all access to their mountain. We'll pay them handsomely to prevent anyone from making attempts, not lay ladders and ropes, carry no oxygen tanks, and best of all, not risk their own lives to haul orthodontists and sales executives up their mountain.

Sure, serious mountaineers will miss out, but as previously established, Everest isn't even a particularly substantial climbing challenge.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Everest permits only sold as a two-mountain package deal, not valid until stamped at K2 summit

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Everest permits are $5, Sherpa permits are $500,000.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

Is there a reliable governing body that can certify that a given individual has made a summit attempt at a given peak, or that establishes what a well-qualified mountaineer is? It would have to operate in every country that a climber might climb a mountain in, of course.

Honestly, Nepal and Pakistan could form a committee of experts solely on the subject of 8000ers and Himalayan climbing.

Getting your permit is a matter of having records if your climbs maintained and somehow validated. The benefit is twofold: the climbers from that region get formalized recognition for their expertise and this would start the bare minimum process for maintaining records for the sport as a whole.

I really don't mind when seasoned pros go for summits and spend half their year living in a mountain, and Everest is the tallest.

Your plan is a drastic action, Everest will likely never go the way of Gangkhar Puensum.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

shame on an IGA posted:

Everest permits only sold as a two-mountain package deal, not valid until stamped at K2 summit

This was pretty much going to be my suggestion.

Each year a big box of Everest passes is put at the top of K2.
Each pass is a stamped 10kg iron tablet, to stop people trying to take more than one (but you just know someone's gonna try)
There are a limited number.
Go.

Bonus: when the first rear end in a top hat up inevitably decides to dump the rest of the box off the summit just so they can be the "only climber to summit Everest in 2020" or whatever year

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You buy a May permit. You are entered into a lottery with all the other May permit-buyers. You are assigned a day. No summits that day? Too bad, try again next year.

(Climbing in winter? Godspeed you crazy diamond.)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
it's all just a countdown until china builds a road all the way to the northside base camp and they get to cash in on capitalist death instead of nepal

e: oh poo poo, they already did. uh. wow lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's all a countdown until China builds a golden elevator to the top and I get to laugh about how difficult it used to be.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

PostNouveau posted:

It's all a countdown until China builds a golden elevator to the top and I get to laugh about how difficult it used to be.
:yayclod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Ih8RsAxyA

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I just stumbled across this NYT article from 2012 on a sherpa who summitted Everest six times and now works at a 7/11. I was really curious, went Googling for more, found his facebook page, and learned that he is now a proud Uber driver. I can't imagine anyone more qualified to sherpa drunk people around NYC.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Son of Welp

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Turns out the death zone is bad for you, who could have known

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Just operate usual transport deals, offer single or return tickets

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Syncopated posted:

Turns out the death zone is bad for you, who could have known

I think we should start calling it "the xtreme zone" so we don't freak out the clients.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/world/asia/everest-death-traffic-jam.html

As of 15 hours ago the season's death toll is up to 17, 10 alone are from the traffic jam.

"Sherpa guides on the Nepali side of the mountain have complained that the traffic jam at the last stretch of the climb, called “the death zone,” has become the most serious problem for climbers in this spring season.

“I have climbed Everest so many times, but this spring’s traffic jam was the worst,” said Tshering Jangbu Sherpa, a guide who summited Everest on May 22. “Many climbers who moved to the summit without extra supplement oxygen bottles suffered the most. They suffered because of the traffic jam, not because of wind and coldness.”

He said that after his team became stuck in the line, he had to borrow a supplemental oxygen bottle because one member of his expedition was running out. “Otherwise, he could also die there in the high camp,” he said."

[...]

"Tourism officials, however, rejected the notion that the summit had become deadlier because of overcrowding related to the large number of climbers receiving permits. [...] Danduraj Ghimire, director general of the tourism department, attributed the casualties to two factors: a delay because of the cyclone effect on Everest in fixing the rope that the climbers use to ascend and descend, and the fact that many of the climbers want to ascend Everest only on the best climbing day.

'It’s not because of traffic jam,' Mr. Ghimire said. The number of climbers was a bit high this year, and most climbers wanted to climb within a short weather window.' "

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah there's nothing wrong with selling access to cultural wonders to rich people because it's your country's only source of revenue.

Nope.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Well, the fault rests entirely on the rich people though. Most of Nepal is just rocks after all, and Everest, sentimental values aside, is just a really BIG rock that they can somehow make a living out of.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tafferling posted:

Well, the fault rests entirely on the rich people though. Most of Nepal is just rocks after all, and Everest, sentimental values aside, is just a really BIG rock that they can somehow make a living out of.

Yes which is why it's never going to happen until someone fires up the guillotines.

I wish I could see Everest without too much environmental impact but it's insanely exploitative, even if the money kinda helps the people, it's not that cut and dry.

They can make money but ignoring the problem on Everest is not going to put the world in your corner against the millionaires continuing to exploit the poor for their own vanity.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a kind of a pity that there is only one single mountain in the Himalayas that you can climb and everyone has to approach its peak the same route. If only there were alternatives!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think it’s a perfect time to revisit the escalator idea

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

When you see that massive line of people how the hell do you think you're doing something special?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

djssniper posted:

When you see that massive line of people how the hell do you think you're doing something special?

Too bad the bottom of the Marianas trench is not even half as appealing despite being way more extreme to reach.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

nsaP posted:

I think it’s a perfect time to revisit the escalator idea

Or the "blow off the top of Mt. Everest so that K2 is the highest peak in the world" idea. Everest is practically a cakewalk comparatively from a technical standpoint.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sand Monster posted:

Or the "blow off the top of Mt. Everest so that K2 is the highest peak in the world" idea. Everest is practically a cakewalk comparatively from a technical standpoint.
I support this solution.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Sand Monster posted:

Dig it up, add it to K2, call it K-Squared.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
sure was insensitive of ghostcrawler to reference everyone dying in a the death zone queue when he explained why there's no escalators

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Minrad posted:

sure was insensitive of ghostcrawler to reference everyone dying in a the death zone queue when he explained why there's no escalators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxZUyhmJiE

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

I wish I could see Everest without too much environmental impact but it's insanely exploitative, even if the money kinda helps the people, it's not that cut and dry.

I know someone who has "seen" it without climbing it.
I'm not sure where exactly they went but a quick look around on Google Maps led me to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_Patthar which says it has the best views of Everest. Nowhere near the death zone, and I'm guessing you can safely take your trash home with you.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
the only hardcore mountaineer i knew did the overland hike to base camp, hung out for a bit, then moved on. he said that was enough for him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The whole process wouldn't be worth the cost for my wife and me, since she has chronic respiratory issues that would prevent her from... living.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Welp strikes back

e: Also, Oh God No

Alan Arnette posted:

K2 and the Karakorum

Next up is K2 starting in late June with summits expected in late July. We know that Seven Summtis Treks will have a huge team there using their Everest model of low cost and many Sherpas.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 27, 2019

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It'll be interesting to see what Nepal does. Their standard response has been to say "We're a poor country, we need the money."

There needs to be some per-day summit limit. Let the climbers have a battle royale, and the bleeding winners get to make a summit attempt the next day?

Don’t issue permits to anyone who has not already climbed one of the other 8km peaks, then raise price of permits.

The issue really though isn’t the permits and the money that comes from them though, the issue is how much Nepal’s economy relies on there being lots of climbers at Everest for months, and the Sherpa community almost completely reliant on them because helping those climbers is basically the only “well paying” job available to the Sherpas.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 28, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Having "loads of actual humans puttung their lives at risk" and "low cost" bumped up together in the same sentence like that makes me loving disgusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Don’t issue permits to anyone who has not already climbed one of the other 8km peaks, then raise price of permits.
Kilimanjaro is a hike, not a climb. You still have the same high-altitude problems, but it doesn't weed out non-climbers.

e: Last I read, one third of the people who made it up to the top of K2 didn't make it down. And these were the best of the best.