Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zore posted:

Not to the same degree no. Closest you're going to get is probably stuff like Far Cry, Horizon or MGS:V which are fairly open ended and give you a bunch of different tools to tackle stuff in an open world environment.

Horizon Zero Dawn, correct? I was looking at that game a year ago or so, but I've never owned any consoles (if you're wondering how I'm playing BotW, it's via Cemu emulator on PC) and buying a PS4 for one game seemed a bit much. There seem to be a few press releases on how they planned to bring it to the PC late last year but I don't see any updates on that or if they still plan to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Maybe something like Just Cause 3 for the "if you can see it you can go there" feeling.

Yeah, the Just Cause series is probably the closest in terms of "climb things, leap off of them, and then soar around with a parachute in a massive game world."

e: plus being able to grappling hook two things together and letting the physics engine go to work is basically infinite fun, so that's got my vote.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ambaire posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn, correct? I was looking at that game a year ago or so, but I've never owned any consoles (if you're wondering how I'm playing BotW, it's via Cemu emulator on PC) and buying a PS4 for one game seemed a bit much. There seem to be a few press releases on how they planned to bring it to the PC late last year but I don't see any updates on that or if they still plan to.

Yeah. I personally wasn't a huge fan but its absurdly popular for a reason.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The last couple numbered Far Cry games were fun, especially with a friend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Open Marriage Night posted:

The last couple numbered Far Cry games were fun, especially with a friend.

Yeah, Far Cry tends to work better as a co-op. I mean they do provide bots for you, but friends are better

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you go straight from Breath to Horizon you gonna be jumping off a lot of cliffs and dying but it gets the exploration pretty drat well

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so i'm really jonesing for some more sweet zelda action but i've beaten botw and i feel like i'm out of options. then i realized i still have a wii u. the last zelda i played before botw was wind waker on the GC so i missed out on both twilight princess and skyward sword.

are SS or TP worth hunting down a copy to play, or are they too different from botw where i should just find a plot guide online and read that instead? i'm not completely opposed to the dated graphics, but both games seem to have extremely mixed reviews elsewhere online, so i figured i would ask here since i tend to trust SA reviews more than other randos.

If you're interesting in jumping in to a more traditional Zelda, have you ever played Okami?

Okami is basically Legend of Zelda... except Link is a wolf and instead of Hyrule you're in ancient Japan.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Theres a complete edition which has the small amount of extra content for the game. It's very solid and fills the void of "big rear end open world to explore", yeah.

The plot is 1000% depressing as gently caress though.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you go straight from Breath to Horizon you gonna be jumping off a lot of cliffs and dying but it gets the exploration pretty drat well

Is there no hang-glider equivalent? Robot pterodactyl, easy!!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I played Horizon right before BoTW and I loved it and think it is a good compliment to BoTW. It's the prettiest game world I've ever explored and I found some of the combat more fun than anything in BoTW. The story and lore was also so much better than I expected it to be.

It has it's faults and I don't think I'd buy a console for it but if you do get a PS4 it's a worthy addition to the library.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just played through the plateau on PC with the Linkle mod and a rebalance that touches pretty much every aspect of the game. That was a bit of work setting up, but not actually as much as i was expecting and wow the game runs way better than I thought it would. If you have the slightest interest in BOTW modding I really recommend giving it a shot.

As for the mods themselves, Linkle is almost perfect and extremely polished, and a nice change of pace from Link. The rebalance I have gripes with, like how it makes the Plateau a bit too difficult for my liking and makes getting rupees more difficult, but it really is extremely nice to have a sort of fresh perspective on everything in the game again so I think it's worth it sitting through the bad parts just for getting to play around with some new toys.

Also, here's a fun story that just happened: as soon as i got off the plateau, the actual first night, i saw a star piece. i had just caught my first horse, so of course i'm off to the races to try and get it. Well, turns out it landed in central hyrule, literally right next to a guardian. So i swoop in on my horse, grab it, and begin a mad ride out of there with the guardian on my tail shooting beams all over and causing several grassfires on the way back. And by the way, this mod increases the guardians' running speed so that fucker was on my rear end for a good long while, and those laser dodges were very, very tight!

But point is stories like this are why I love this game, god drat it's just so good

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's a loving crime Nintendo didn't release that as Super Zelda Maker.

I keep expecting them to release their own version of a LttP Randomizer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Just found out there's a (separate) dialogue patch so everyone stops calling Linkle a handsome young man. Modding owns.

By the way, the Linkle mod also does a thing I really appreciate which is that a lot of the hats change your hairstyle pretty drastically (like a couple of them do in the base game). It's perfect for someone like me who's never satisfied with customisation options and wants to change things up constantly.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I like how the armor is now cute outfits for Linkle, instead of awful “sexy” armor modders love to make.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That is possibly the best part of the mod

When the first two outfits you receive (the starting stuff and hylian pants + the switch shirt) immediately went for the exposed thigh and midriff I was a tiny bit worried it was going in that direction but turns out it super wasn't

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Finally completed the Trial of the Sword. I'd gotten through the Beginner and Middle trials on the first try, but the Final Trials had been the ones that had stopped me.

First time at the Final Trials (About a year ago) I died in the very last room. Was out of Ancient Arrows at the room, ran around like a crazy person for a bit and took out several of the Bokoblins, then decided to take out the Guardian Turret. Killed that much easier than I expected, then went back to the Bokoblins and the Lynel. Died because I was too reliant on Fairy Revivals to save me from my actions, and didn't eat when I needed to.

Second time (Several months ago) I died in the first room after the last rest stop because I aggroed too many of the Decayed Guardians at once. That, and thinking I had more fairies than I did doomed me.

This time, made it through with one extra Ancient Arrow, Three Hearty Meals, Two Fairies, a boatload of weapons. I was definitely much more willing to use my high-damage weapons this time around, and to use the axes for their intended purposes. Ate all the trees, as usual. Was better at husbaning my Ancient Arrows for what they were really needed for, which made a lot of the difference.

Things that helped this time:

Ancient Arrows, like regular arrows, still exist if you don't hit your target, so if you wind up missing, once the danger has passed, swap your sensor to Ancient Arrows and hunt them down.

The the the 11-fairy trick works in the Trial to bypass the apparent 3-Fairy-in-inventory limit, same as it does in the overworld. Probably was still a bit too reliant on them, but with six on hand, managed to push through.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I spent about a solid 90 minutes trying to get a 4/4/5 horse, and finally caught one in the Taobab Grasslands. I rode it all the way past two Lynels, boarded it, and went straight into the menu and loaded my last save instead of actually saving.

Thankfully, the last save was right after I'd ridden Larch into the stable. God bless this game's autosaving.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

woah :popeye:

i dont need them but thats such a so dumb its cool as heck trick and Im gonna collect me a dozen minus one just because :radcat:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Bulgakov posted:

i dont need them but thats such a so dumb its cool as heck trick and Im gonna collect me a dozen minus one just because :radcat:

That’s really neat. I’d never heard of that before.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the game is so drat consistent in its systems

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Bulgakov posted:

Yeah, I stumbled across a video about it back in '17 or thereabouts, Hadn't really thought about it much, because with the ridiculous amounts of healing items you can get in BoTW, fairies aren't nearly as useful outside of the Trial.

That said, when I tried to find the video again this afternoon, I found a different video. There's a way to get up to 21 fairies by releasing Inventoried Fairies near the fountain and blasting Link away with a bomb before the fairies get spooked and flee. Fountain spawns new fairies when Link's down to 2 or less in inventory, Link can sneak around and scoop them all up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69lzT_YptYk

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Are there any games comparable to Breath of the Wild out there that have a similar level of freedom with climbing and gliding around and world system interactions and combat? This game has rather spoiled me for what I expect from 'similar' games. Skyrim? Pah.

This might be obvious but Metal Gear Solid V?

The story is a bit of a wet fart but the gameplay is still one of the best out there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well holy poo poo, the floodgates are open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj62PW4oGaQ

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

Silver Falcon posted:

The DLC kiiiiinda goes into that?

You fight each of the 'blights using flavor appropriate equipment. So Mipha's Trial ends up with a Zora Spear and such and very few arrows. Water Blight is rather challenging with such a setup...

I just left the room to hang out and recharge Urbosa’s Fury.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

if some dudes with a lot of free time can pull that off, i am extremely excited to see what botw2 looks like with all of the trademark nintendo polish

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

If I want to play BOTW on PC, but don't really want to pirate, can the game be extracted from the Wii U disc if I buy one?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Just buy it then download it. Same thing, skipping ten steps of headache.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Hi hello, just reporting in that after a million hours I realized that to solve the korok challenge of throwing a stone into a ring of rocks in the water you can just hold the rock and jump in rather than repeatedly trying to throw it in.

Also a golden colored piglet man cracked my skull open with one hit despite having every preventative measure in place. Master mode is loving hard.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

superjew posted:

Hi hello, just reporting in that after a million hours I realized that to solve the korok challenge of throwing a stone into a ring of rocks in the water you can just hold the rock and jump in rather than repeatedly trying to throw it in.

:doh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did that once. Usually I make Ice walls around the ring to bounce the rock off of

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I practice with bombs first then miss a few times anyway

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BotW_modding.png

I used a save editor to just give myself all the amiibo armors, and turns out they've all been turned into decidedly noncanon outfits like this schoolgirl one, or a ballgown. Owns.

BigHandsVince posted:

If I want to play BOTW on PC, but don't really want to pirate, can the game be extracted from the Wii U disc if I buy one?
Yes, by installing custom firmware on your WiiU (that you have, of course) and then slowly dumping it onto an SD card with it

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 30, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Or just buy it and then pirate it anyway. It's functionally identical without the biggest pain in the rear end part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You're already breaking the EULA by running the software on something that isnt a Wii-U or Switch, so if you're worried about the legalities, emulating BOTW is already verboten

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You're already breaking the EULA by running the software on something that isnt a Wii-U or Switch, so if you're worried about the legalities, emulating BOTW is already verboten

I've got it on switch, so I guess I'll just download it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I want a BOTW2 thats got the energy and vibe of the molduga encounter song

you hear that, miyamoto???

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've torn myself away from Pathologic long enough to get back to this. I appear to have infiltrated Hyrule Castle under the cover of thunderstorms and darkness. I came in from the moat and through the prisons. I have a 3d map marking key locations, stealth armor, and I'm sneaking past aerial gunships and heavily armed guards to destroy the ultimate weapon

Did

Did Nintendo make a metal gear

e: Also I'm doing this with broken garbage, because it's still botw lol, and I didn't get the master sword or free three mechs yet but whatever I'm abandoning ship if it gets dicey metal gear ganon can nuke the president of hyrule I guess

This is extremely triumphant music for breaking through at the break of dawn and running into ten billion hyperturrets and LIONHOUND. I found the shield, Zelda's diary and memory, some ancient arrorws, and Ganon himself but no warp point so lol this will be fun to do again in a few dozen hours.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 3, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol I actually got all the way to Calamity Ganon and I ran out of arrows and weapons fast enough to actually harm him effectively, until I remembered:

I'm sitting on ten billion stealth foods

They work

I bombed his rear end with grenades like Solid Snake!

What a terrible fight

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh god this is amazing, I can't wait for people to just start remaking all of the old Zelda's and just attach them to BOTW's Hyrule and just make a giant rear end map.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Emulating is legal though, so how do they have that in the EULA?