Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

TLDR Weird horror game, NO SPOILERS EVEN IN TAGS, subtitles instead of talkin', hope you love it!

Now we can find out what's behind the company's mask!

Awwwww yeah!

Bacter, give us the usual intro!

So, cards on the table goons, I like all kinds of games but my groove a genre I've heard defined as WEIRD HORROR.

It covers a huge swatch of territory, from the creeping dread and subtle psychology of Night in the Woods to the visceral terror and oppression of, say, Darkwood. Both excellent games that you should check out, incidentally.

But we've got a real one for you this time, droogs! A real *Italian chef finger kissing motion* of a game!

It's got good pixelart, good sound, good writing, good story, it's g

Alright, sit down and easy does it, champ. What IS the game?

THE GAME, my friends, is YUPPIE PSYCHO, by the gloriously named "Baroque Decay" studios.

Whatsit?

Survival horror. Of the games I've LP'd, I'd say it's most similar to Lone Survivor, though the tone is... uh... different.

What should I expect

Lots of unease, medium amounts of gore and office politics, and a small amount of sentient, angry office fixtures.

Plot?

I don't want to go into it. The less you know, the better, honestly.

Weird horror games tend to be mysteries, and this is no exception, so Ima call for a BIG HONKING NO SPOILERS AT ALL EVEN IN TAGS rule in this 'ere thread.

You talkin'?

No. It's a very atmospheric game, and I genuinely spent most of my first playthrough in some level of unease/panic. I don't feel like trying to pretend that's how I'm feeling on a third playthrough, but I can WRITE like it is! :haw:

ENOUGH JIBBER JABBER. LET'S GET DOWN TO IT!

I like your attitude, son. You'll go FAR. LET'S DO IT

FRIDGE DOOR OF FANART

Noisycat posted:

Hi! I drew the Forest Goblin :)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:stare: Well, you sure as hell have my attention!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Looks weird and cool. Will be watching.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
What in all good gently caress is happening and when can I get more?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Barely five minutes in and I witnessed a buttery smooth dynamic music transition in the middle of a conversation. I already love this game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I want to know who to contact to buy that amazing cow blood artwork for my office. I'm willing to pay millions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I am getting a very strong Corpse Party vibe from this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The devs' other game, the count Lucanor, was kinda neat. Good to see this is shaping up to be interesting so far too!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This game is really good at those tonal shifts, christ. Starts out with some nice existential dread of belonging, then just kind of swerves into the feeling of something that is just distinctly wrong.

The thing that was creeping me out the most was Hugo, honestly. He's just so normal acting in the face of all the weird-ness. The normalcy put me off even more with that juxtaposition with the rest of the crap.

.... annnnnndddd I'm totally right to not trust that fucker.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well that was harrowing.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Cuntellectual posted:

The devs' other game, the count Lucanor, was kinda neat. Good to see this is shaping up to be interesting so far too!

Hopefully the PSN version of this one doesn't corrupt your saves whenever you try to reload them.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I saw you already have the next episode up on YouTube. I'm loving this game, and can't wait for more.

But as a heads up, your commentary seems to not being show up at the right time.
More specifically:
when you retrieve the folder in the mine room, your comments on Hugo showing up appear very early and are gone by the time he actually appears. You also mention the game being good at icon shortcuts but it's not apparent what that is referring to.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

:stonk: You have my undivided attention.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You know, as a professional translator, I'm not sure this game was translated. The dev team includes people from all over the world, so maybe a native English speaker was responsible for the dialogue. That wouldn't necessarily rule out the pen/pencil error; I can think of few different ways that might have happened.

This game is fascinating and terrifying and really well done. I snap up each update as soon as it comes out. Keep up the good work!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Damanation posted:

I saw you already have the next episode up on YouTube. I'm loving this game, and can't wait for more.

But as a heads up, your commentary seems to not being show up at the right time.
More specifically:
when you retrieve the folder in the mine room, your comments on Hugo showing up appear very early and are gone by the time he actually appears. You also mention the game being good at icon shortcuts but it's not apparent what that is referring to.

Thanks! That one was meant to be private for review - fix'd version is going up now!

]

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 27, 2019

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Corrected version is just showing a black screen here.

I do appreciate how the protagonist is not being overly hysterical. The devs being confident enough in their game to not have the MC try to shove emotions down our throats is very much appreciated.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This is drat fine game and everybody should get it.

Seriously, one of the best adventure games I've played in years.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
Take my 5; I abused my inventory enough that I would have had to replay several hours of game that I would much rather watch someone else do.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ground floor! Your episode 4 has the episode 3 title, by the way.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Liking this so far :)

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Bacter posted:

Thanks! That one was meant to be private for review - fix'd version is going up now!

It looks like this is missing a chunk at the beginning, where you first use your computer.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't gotten past the OP, but I've been convinced to buy this and play it with a friend. Excited to check the LP after I play!

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks for putting out these videos. I just beat the game in one sitting after watching them. It was totally worth it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm really glad to hear you enjoying it!

One of the things I find most notable about the game is how it manages escalation. Every new chapter of the game genuinely feels like things are getting more out of hand, but somehow it's narratively tied together: they never resort to just randomness, and all the oddities that we'll see are either making some point about the story as a whole, or office culture.

Kind of a shorter pair updates (and the Bonus video is part of the plot, so you'll definitely want to watch it, but it's KIND of a long cutscene, so no commentary added)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 25, 2019

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Tried this game because of this LP; very much did not regret it. Thanks, Bacter. :)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Awesome!

...if everybody stops watching because they bought the game, is that the MOST or the LEAST successful LP?

Junpei posted:

I am getting a very strong Corpse Party vibe from this.

I should maybe check that out - come across mention, but never dived into it at all.

Keldulas posted:

The thing that was creeping me out the most was Hugo, honestly. He's just so normal acting in the face of all the weird-ness. The normalcy put me off even more with that juxtaposition with the rest of the crap.

Without going into spoilers, how Hugo is handled is MAYBE my favorite part of the game. Keep a close eye on 'ol Hugo, he's got depths.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Bacter posted:

Awesome!

...if everybody stops watching because they bought the game, is that the MOST or the LEAST successful LP?

I should maybe check that out - come across mention, but never dived into it at all.

Without going into spoilers, how Hugo is handled is MAYBE my favorite part of the game. Keep a close eye on 'ol Hugo, he's got depths.

Don't worry, I'm still watching, because I also beat the game.

E: Speaking of Corpse Party, I have been sad for a while since the playthrough of the game on Youtube that I liked for its lack of intrusive commentary disappeared a while back. If you ever end up doing a Corpse Party LP, I will definitely be on board to watch it.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 25, 2019

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm still watching for the commentary and to see the stuff I missed. I felt like I was pretty thorough with my scrounging, but I missed a lot of videos and other things that I won't talk about right now. I also like seeing commentary and analysis of games that I have already played through.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I feel like I'm missing something between videos 2 and 3, when did we meet Sintra?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

azren posted:

I feel like I'm missing something between videos 2 and 3, when did we meet Sintra?

We meet Sintra at the beginning of video 3, Orifice Space.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bacter posted:

From what I've seen so far, this game is significantly better than Corpse Party. Creepier in the right ways, and not creepy in the wrong ways. :pedo:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

nweismuller posted:

We meet Sintra at the beginning of video 3, Orifice Space.

Wow, I was certain those six and a half minutes weren't there when I watched the video the first time...

(Also, 3 was Pencil Pusher, and 2 was Orifice Space)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the "fixed" episode 3 that got posted in the thread didn't have the whole intro bit where we used the computer and got our first task. :ohdear:

I'm loving this game, thanks for showing it off!

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Was that a Harlan Ellison reference outside the library? Not sure about the Blessed Virgin part though

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah 3 was a mess getting coded - the link in the OP has it all now!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
This is really cool so far.

Lots of weird little details I'm catching on a second viewing too. "I've never used one of these machines before." This 1980's rear end IBM? Is access to technology limited for the lower classes? Things seem anachonistic at first, but everything being in a weird turn of the century place could just be part of the world they have built.

I don't think Hugo is aligned with the Witch. He seems more like an opportunistic and lazy serial killer reveling in this weird hell office. No need to actively kill people when indescriminate eyeball mines do all the work.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

He could be a frog familiar in human form though right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just hope my office job isn't as horrible as this one when I get a job.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You actually get less spoilers for the story watching the LP than playing it yourself because the steam achievements nearly spell out the entire plot.

edit: before they hid some of them anyway

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That said this is an excellent adventure game, highly recommended, along with their previous title, The Count Lucanor.