Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Crocoswine posted:

Bbtag has easy as poo poo inputs and it's good

Yeah. Input complexity doesn't have anything to do with people being bad at fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I do hope "all moves being quarter circles" isn't the future of FGs though bc input diversity gives characters their own flavor imo. It works for a game like BBTag though which is basically Smash but a real fighting game at this point

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Kongming posted:

Yeah. Input complexity doesn't have anything to do with people being bad at fighting games.

What? People constantly gently caress up inputs if its possible to do so. Everyone has lost a round because they DPd when they wanted to walk forward fireball. Justin wong lost literally 5 billion games of sf4 because he couldnt do rufus ultras

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

In Training posted:

I do hope "all moves being quarter circles" isn't the future of FGs though bc input diversity gives characters their own flavor imo. It works for a game like BBTag though which is basically Smash but a real fighting game at this point

I'll take quarter circles over NRS inputs any day. Neutral-back-forward and back-down are both terrible with everything except maybe hitbox/keyboard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

technology doping

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

dangerdoom volvo posted:

What? People constantly gently caress up inputs if its possible to do so. Everyone has lost a round because they DPd when they wanted to walk forward fireball. Justin wong lost literally 5 billion games of sf4 because he couldnt do rufus ultras

yeah, but input complexity isnt a big reason why people are bad at fighting games. nobody is a bad player because they lose a round from failing to do the right thing. that is how every single round is lost in every fighting game. inputs being too hard for a player is just one way out of many many ways for someone to be bad at a game.

and thats not to say that hard inputs dont have a purpose or a place. most games worth playing have some sort of complexity or system depth that allows for multiple types of dexterity checks. "can you move the stick the right way doing a special?" is just one of many along with the similarly popular "can you time the button presses?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Technology doping is a legitimate concern in lots of sports and has been for a long time, it's not a made up phrase

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
if you just say a word in someones post & nothing else you are the king of discussion on the something awful online forum as well as an extreme badass in general

Crocoswine posted:

Bbtag has easy as poo poo inputs and it's good

bbtag is also designed from the ground up around the inputs in a very specific way literally no other attempt to Make Inputs Easier is and had an extremely stagnant meta until earlier this week because it turns out when you make everyone have a lack of options (one of the downsides of simple inputs is a fundamental lack of possible commands) it makes the odds that someone has the one move to rule them all and nobody else has a counter a lot higher

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grim Reaper's importance until 1.5 wouldn't have changed if you had to do a DP motion instead of qcf though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My issue with technology doping being thrown around to describe hitboxes is that technology doping became a thing after the Speedo sharksuits, and most of the concerns there had to do with them both having a proven track record in improving competitive performance at the highest level while also not being readily accessible to most athletes.

Although hitboxes simplify execution, they kinda fail at both criteria above. First, a hitbox isn't any more expensive than a fighting stick, and a very similar device is the standard input method for one of the three major gaming platforms around - sup, keyboard.

Second, I hear people dooming and glooming about hitboxes being unfair ever since they became a thing. I still haven't seen them being picked up by every single sponsored player - and pot prizes have increased a ton ever since, so it's not like they didn't have an incentive - or dominating top placements in majors. Whenever this discussion comes back, it's always, ALWAYS because someone changed the standard layout or because of SOCD shenanigans, which are both things that could be standardized hardware-wise and/or solved in-game with good input cleaning, etc.

I understand that they do make some stuff easier/faster, but the point is how much does that actually matter? If hitboxes give you a significant edge in execution, one that can't be replicated on other devices, why aren't people that actually play fighting games for a living all playing hitbox? If they just make base-level stuff easier, should we care? Do we balance games around what GO1 can do? That seems insane to me. We're already assuming everything that's in our game is physically possible on pad anyway, right? If Daigo is actually serious about playing hitbox - and Daigo is secretly one of the biggest complainers in the FGC - , it's gonna be interesting seeing what happens.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There's also the minor issue that doping tends to get banned in sports because it fucks people up over time for short term advantage, so banning it is better for every single competitor in the long term. Lmao at applying such logic to a glorified keyboard.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Corbeau posted:

There's also the minor issue that doping tends to get banned in sports because it fucks people up over time for short term advantage, so banning it is better for every single competitor in the long term. Lmao at applying such logic to a glorified keyboard.

Shark suits dont gently caress people up, those long putters or whatever in golf didnt gently caress anyone up, shooting your opponent with a gun in MMA well nevermind but technology that improves performance is frequently banned in pretty much every sport

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Corbeau posted:

There's also the minor issue that doping tends to get banned in sports because it fucks people up over time for short term advantage

This is incredibly naive but also a complete non-sequitur because the point isn't to draw a comparison to actual doping.

Ask yourself why metal or corked bats aren't allowed in baseball, why certain golf clubs and balls are restricted, or whatever various other limitation on equipment is made in sport because people have decided they have a markedly negative effect solely on the play of the game, not pose a risk to the players.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Technology doping is a legitimate concern in lots of sports and has been for a long time, it's not a made up phrase
It is, however, a very silly phrase.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Dias posted:

If Daigo is actually serious about playing hitbox - and Daigo is secretly one of the biggest complainers in the FGC - , it's gonna be interesting seeing what happens.

Reminder that Daigo quit VSav and went back to playing Hunter because he thought Q-Bee was bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

picking qbee is technology doping

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Using a fightstick is technology doping

unless I'm using one then using a pad is technology doping.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't know about technology doping, but I'm finding it hilarious that Daigo has become so washed out over the years, he now thinks a modified hitbox is the one thing that will give him the upper hand. For christ's sake, Daigo, not loving up inputs was the one thing you were good at.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Saoshyant posted:

I don't know about technology doping, but I'm finding it hilarious that Daigo has become so washed out over the years, he now thinks a modified hitbox is the one thing that will give him the upper hand. For christ's sake, Daigo, not loving up inputs was the one thing you were good at.

welcome, twitch chat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I read daigos book and still suck

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Using buttons for everything instead of a stick is super nice imo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Y'all need to be watching Combo Breaker's mystery game stream.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Jiro posted:

Y'all need to be watching Combo Breaker's mystery game stream.

This was unnecessarily difficult to find: https://www.twitch.tv/madcitygg

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Reposting the schedule with stream urls. Times are CDT.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What I learned from this conversation, as someone still learning the basics of fighting games, is that keyboards are not the total joke option I always imagined they were.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azran posted:

What I learned from this conversation, as someone still learning the basics of fighting games, is that keyboards are not the total joke option I always imagined they were.

Im not sure why they would be. I dont know of any modern fighting games* that have mechanics based on how much you push a button and its a fixed plane so you dont need camera controls.

*RIP Street Fighter 1 arcade, you were a real one

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Azran posted:

Well duh, you've had melty players living that lifestyle for the longest time now.

Also these people:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
smash64 community grew up on pj64 netplay, hence the keyboard popularity

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Azran posted:

I play Tekken and Soulcalibur on the keyboard.

I actually bought an arcade stick but I still prefer the keyboard

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well duh, you've had melty players living that lifestyle for the longest time now.

Also these people:

cursed image

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Azran posted:

Some cheap keyboards can't handle more than 3-5 keys at once so if you want to do something like down-forward plus all three punch buttons your keyboard might just say gently caress you and drop one or more of the inputs

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Some cheap keyboards can't handle more than 3-5 keys at once so if you want to do something like down-forward plus all three punch buttons your keyboard might just say gently caress you and drop one or more of the inputs

The true hitbox advantage emerges from the shadows.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you need n-key rollover to play fgs on keyboard, or macros. in the old days on kaillera there were a lot of keyboard players with macros because n-key rollover was rare. its much more standard now on decent keyboards

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't get why everyone hates on keyboards.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Things getting started today.

NOW

GG top 8: https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky (stacked as gently caress bracket)

Mystery Top 8: https://www.twitch.tv/madcitygg

Soulcalubur 2 top8: https://www.twitch.tv/vampirearcadia (still setting up, technical problems)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know it's just normie RPS messy-guessy pablum, but I love watching the Jacqui break/counter break stuff in MKXI.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Granblue Versus beta codes got sent out, check ur emails if you registered for the beta

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If someone's got an extra code or isn't gonna be around for the beta or anything, I'll do horrible things to take an extra code if someone's got one.

I didn't make it in. :negative:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i got mine even though narmaya's not in yet so the game is basically worthless atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If someone's got an extra code or isn't gonna be around for the beta or anything, I'll do horrible things to take an extra code if someone's got one.

I didn't make it in. :negative:

I think basically everyone who registered got in, they're sending out the codes over time, so just keep checking your inbox!