Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it wasn't an issue until mojave, so it's probably just a bug in the throttling rather than a lack of any throttling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm pretty sure I've seen people complaining about performance immediately post-install for several macOS releases now. is it just horribly worse in Mojave?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Plorkyeran posted:

it's spotlight yeah. you have to temporarily turn it off if you were hoping to use your computer the same day you install mojave

:nice:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
mo-jave

"jave" means "slow"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
“Something something something, self-throttling that would put David Carradine to shame, something something something”.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

lmao. idk what the post install process for mojave is doing but holy poo poo, it manages to make the computer completely unusable

like apps take literally minutes to launch and poo poo just randomly locks and beachballs

is that with a spinny drive or did they manage to slam enough i/o to make even an ssd unusably busy

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Plorkyeran posted:

it wasn't an issue until mojave, so it's probably just a bug in the throttling rather than a lack of any throttling

People were complaining about this back in the Snow Leopard days, even.

And with macs os being legacy/abandonware, it's probably never getting fixed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
7200 rpm 1tb drive in a 2014 imac

weirdly, activity monitor shows that there's constant disk usage, but seemly not enough to explain how completely unusable the system becomes for anything that has to be loaded from disk

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen people complaining about performance immediately post-install for several macOS releases now. is it just horribly worse in Mojave?

yeah, a lot worse. it's always been slow but in previous versions the machine was at least usable while it was happening

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple: i/o queuing is for chumps

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

still better than macos9 halting the entire system to index

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

apple engineer 1: spinning disks? iphones don't have spinning disks, right?
apple engineer 2: of course not!
apple engineer 1: thought so. *deletes a bunch of 'unused' I/O code*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they really should just stop selling macs with spinny drive only

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SRQ posted:

still better than macos9 halting the entire system to index when you click on a menu item
pre-emptive multitasking
:negative:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Last Chance posted:

they really should just stop selling macs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fiedler posted:

apple engineer 1: spinning disks? iphones don't have spinning disks, right?
apple engineer 2: of course not!
apple engineer 1: thought so. *deletes a bunch of 'unused' I/O code*

probably reading apfs through a shim since no one had time to code up a native api

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

if steve wasn't dead apple would have stopped selling HDDs in 2014.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

they really should just stop selling macs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

probably reading apfs through a shim since no one had time to code up a native api

lmao. wouldn't that be something?

hey, i know, let's automatically convert volumes to apfs even where it will have a massively detrimental impact on performance and no upsides at all!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

lmao. wouldn't that be something?

hey, i know, let's automatically convert volumes to apfs even where it will have a massively detrimental impact on performance and no upsides at all!

quote:

Apple File System uses checksums to ensure data integrity for metadata, but not user data.

thank god my "last modified date" is safe, good thing i don't give a poo poo about the file itself!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

akadajet posted:

Teenage engineering is hipster garbage for morons.
PLEASE, DO NOT SIGN YOUR POSTS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/24/angela-ahrendts-apple-retail-criticism/

quote:

Angela Ahrendts on Apple Retail Criticism: 'I Don't Read Any of it, and None of it is Based on Fact'

:thunk:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

in a meritocracy her opinion is objectively better than yours or even worse verge commenters so...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the bloomberg article it’s based on is a graceful backhand, kudos to the writer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SRQ posted:

if steve wasn't dead apple would have stopped selling HDDs in 2014.

if steve wasn't dead ssds would have remained an enterprise and prosumer curiosity in everything other than handheld devices

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

every executive ever: what are these 'problems' you're taking about? my subordinates assure me that everything is going better than ever!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

El_Elegante posted:

the bloomberg article it’s based on is a graceful backhand, kudos to the writer

* Bloomberg, of course, is the publication that published “The Big Hack” in October — a sensational story alleging that data centers of Apple, Amazon, and dozens of other companies were compromised by China’s intelligence services. The story presented no confirmable evidence at all, was vehemently denied by all companies involved, has not been confirmed by a single other publication (despite much effort to do so), and has been largely discredited by one of Bloomberg’s own sources. By all appearances “The Big Hack” was complete bullshit. Yet Bloomberg has issued no correction or retraction, and seemingly hopes we’ll all just forget about it. I say we do not just forget about it. Bloomberg’s institutional credibility is severely damaged, and everything they publish should be treated with skepticism until they retract the story or provide evidence that it was true.

:goonsay:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

just loving lol if you don't think the prc has hacked apple and amazon

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why would they need to? amazon and apple would give them complete access if it resulted in getting more of a foothold in the china market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry, but that theory is insufficiently yellow menace

it's not even inscrutable

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bloomberg is and always has been trash. See also: Everyone else reporting on tech.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

mo-jave

"jave" means "slow"

did anyone say mo-jave mo-problems yet?

oh really? a year ago?

drat

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
did anyone say installing the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter yet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

so i got a g4/500/agp recently and it's kinda hilarious how far we've slid.

It released for 3500 USD in 1999 which was less than my dads Pentium 2 233 did in early 1998 and at least 3 times as fast.
It had a top-end video card for the time, open expansion and easy expansion.
You want wireless? Slap in a card, done. Want a modem? Put one in, move a screw to the left for the port to be seen.
USB? We got it. Firewire? Got that too.
You wanna run an Apple monitor? Cool we got a DVI connector for it. Wanna run your own? There's a VGA port too.
Cooling? You bet it's well cooled, nice big chunky heatsink and good fans, you're all set.

Wanna do weird poo poo software wise? Go nuts, pass-through your Voodoo 2 to a virtual machine, we won't stop you.
Mac OS9 fucks up? lol literally just copy-paste the system folder from the disk and start over. Hell have a half-dozen system folders around at once. Extensions gently caress up? Delete them, they're literally just files.

can i interest you in a 900MHz accelerator card? otherwise it's going in the recycling. possibly other bits

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chris Knight posted:

can i interest you in a 900MHz accelerator card? otherwise it's going in the recycling. possibly other bits

if he doesnt want it, i too hoard mac trash. i wonder if it would work in a cube

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Raluek posted:

if he doesnt want it, i too hoard mac trash. i wonder if it would work in a cube

nice of you to volunteer to throw it into the trash for him

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

wth chris, we're practically neighbours, how could you do me like this?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

nice of you to volunteer to throw it into the trash for him

i have so many trash receptacles.

wth chris, we're practically neighbours, how could you do me like this?

sounds like this guy does too, judging by his username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

adobe premiere just decided to fill up my ssd and it took twenty+ minutes to unfuck my macbook because apfs needs free space in order to delete files???