Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Guest posted:

I think I read that it's first person exclusively, but will temporarily go into third person for special moves and such.

Yeah perma- third person is going to be my most anticipated mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Bloodlines 2 success will generate a strategy game spin off where you realpolitik, murder and invade your way to having a world under your unseen vampire reign. You have to also occasionally kill your friends and subordinates for backstabbing you, loving up horribly or just as pawns for a particularly nasty event with possible benefits you can't ignore on top of fighting off other sects, clans, rivals and elders. You can have it take place in historical scenarios like Ventrue's Rome (Kingdom, Republic and Empire)to modern city environments.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Crabtree posted:

Bloodlines 2 success will generate a strategy game spin off where you realpolitik, murder and invade your way to having a world under your unseen vampire reign. You have to also occasionally kill your friends and subordinates for backstabbing you, loving up horribly or just as pawns for a particularly nasty event with possible benefits you can't ignore on top of fighting off other sects, clans, rivals and elders. You can have it take place in historical scenarios like Ventrue's Rome (Kingdom, Republic and Empire)to modern city environments.

I'd buy it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crabtree posted:

Is there not a mod for CK2 that does that? :cheeky:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there not a mod for CK2 that does that? :cheeky:

I believe there is but I also understand its not very good. Besides, I want the modern day scenario. :colbert:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Like they're gonna franchise this game out so I'd rather they make the real deal. Even if it still looks like a blend of Crusader Kings with a little bit of Civilization where you can see and upgrade cities and regions you own while sending out agents to deal with all sorts of threats like werewolf packs or hunters sniffing around.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

steinrokkan posted:

I don't understand why peole think the publisher has a deterministic role in what a game is.

That's because publishers do have a role in choosing what type of game they are funding, especially when they are the actual license holder of the property.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I want a grand strategy not just based on VTM but including other game lines too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm sure there's a ck2 mod for that. Whether it's any good though ...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lucinice posted:

I want a grand strategy not just based on VTM but including other game lines too.

I've always wanted a 4X space strategy game based on the Battletech universe, with the focus on ground combat rather than space combat as in most space 4Xs. With HBS being bought out by Paradox this seems like the best chance for this game existing yet, but there's nothing so far. But I live in hope. :pray:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lucinice posted:

You can work up to that by first doing it good with Vamps. They're the bread and butter of World of Darkness so you succeed with kindred you can move onto having campaigns or games designed to let you play as other monsters.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I thought Man was the real monster

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Crabtree posted:

You can work up to that by first doing it good with Vamps. They're the bread and butter of World of Darkness so you succeed with kindred you can move onto having campaigns or games designed to let you play as other monsters.

I say start with Vamps and maybe one other faction before adding others in DLC. Maybe vampires and hunters to start.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I could see werewolves as a sort of environmental hazard if not a full faction. A sort of 'dont move your stuff through this forest or they take heavy losses' thing maybe

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A Bug posted:

I could see werewolves as a sort of environmental hazard if not a full faction. A sort of 'dont move your stuff through this forest or they take heavy losses' thing maybe

I'd make it that plus a building threat. Like certain things you do like clearing forests, expanding into wilderness generally, and the like increase your threat and if you get too high a werewolf pack comes rushing at you and then you have to try and mitigate the damage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Toreador generally aren't bad at their chosen art form, it's that the human spirit that drives truly great art is slowly dying. There's one in the clanbook who has spent countless hours becoming possibly the most technically proficient painter that has ever walked the earth, but no level of skill can imbue their work with the passion and soul that really great work entails, and it's because the part of them that would be doing that is being eaten alive.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

double nine posted:

I'm sure there's a ck2 mod for that. Whether it's any good though ...

The WoD mod is all of the game lines at once, basically. As a result its a mishmash of styles that dont really work together. It doesnt help that they cant figure out if they're using 20th Anniversary, 5th Edition, or Chronicles of Darkness as the inspiration.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are plenty of games with an equipment decay mechanic that works well, but many of them are sidescrollers

The key is to make weapons a temporary bonus. That means that they don't go into your inventory, and you drop them when you leave the area. That's easy enough to implement.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Toreador generally aren't bad at their chosen art form, it's that the human spirit that drives truly great art is slowly dying. There's one in the clanbook who has spent countless hours becoming possibly the most technically proficient painter that has ever walked the earth, but no level of skill can imbue their work with the passion and soul that really great work entails, and it's because the part of them that would be doing that is being eaten alive.

So they're basically undead MIDI synths

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You could argue that a high humanity Toreador could have the most creativity out of the lot, but that's probably not much. But it is funny when Toreador tend to get out paced by Malkavians or a mind controlling Ventrue who wants a fash statue of themselves rather than the clan devoted to beauty and creativity.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

User posted:

So they're basically undead MIDI synths

Or Thomas Kinkade

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

You could argue that a high humanity Toreador could have the most creativity out of the lot, but that's probably not much. But it is funny when Toreador tend to get out paced by Malkavians or a mind controlling Ventrue who wants a fash statue of themselves rather than the clan devoted to beauty and creativity.

In V5 10 humanity is basically More Human than Human, so I'd expect that in addition to not looking kind of dead, having satisfying sexual relations, and taking less damage from sunlight, they could also make nice art. Of course maintaining 10 humanity means a saintly disposition in both deed and thought. So it could work. Imagine a 10 humanity torry artist who cloisters herself to avoid the temptation of getting mad at someone for being an rear end in a top hat and dropping a point, and instead just pumps out masterworks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

User posted:

In V5 10 humanity is basically More Human than Human, so I'd expect that in addition to not looking kind of dead, having satisfying sexual relations, and taking less damage from sunlight, they could also make nice art. Of course maintaining 10 humanity means a saintly disposition in both deed and thought. So it could work. Imagine a 10 humanity torry artist who cloisters herself to avoid the temptation of getting mad at someone for being an rear end in a top hat and dropping a point, and instead just pumps out masterworks.

Or just surround yourself with devoted cultist fanatics, possibly ghouls.

Use your eccentric art career to cover any possible masquerade violations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Factory is just a easy Blood Cult based around Art/Toreador colony based around a Warhol like Elder waiting to be written. With (nsfw)a Blood For Dracula being made "accidentally" and having a prickly Masquerade situation where its unfortunately very honest about the reality of vampires - but its so cheesy and bad that it's seen as a high grade B movie like The Room.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 27, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

User posted:

Thinking about it as written Humanity 10 would almost be impossible to maintain for any great length of time (which I expect was the point). You would have to rely entirely on blood that come from willing donations of a person's own free will that was also not enough to harm them, and that's just for starters. No wonder the original BL game makes a big deal it's fine to kill in self-defense (which in my experience most Storytellers also ran with).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I definitely prefer “the state of being a vampire is extremely damaging to your empathy and other things important to art” over “vampires immediately lose the magical spark which is the source of true art.”

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That said it's probably also a masquerade deal in the end. Like if you're say vampire Rembrandt and you're still making paintings in your style, regardless if human society views it as good as The Conspiracy of Claudius Civilis, your work starting to surface is going to get attention like say a Vampire Tupac still releasing albums when there's no more extra tapes to mine. So even if you can still do some impressive work, even if you're not bored of your craft and how you've done it for who knows how many centuries, at the end of the day it is going to make elders talk about restricting or even ending you if you were a big enough name in the art world and suddenly a new bejeweled catacomb of saints or a Sistine Chapel with even bare hints at poo poo like Caine pops up. So even if you still got it, you're encouraged to stay in the back ground before people begin to ask questions or see you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So what I’m hearing is that there has to be at least one major festival DJ who is a vampire.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Rand Brittain posted:

I definitely prefer “the state of being a vampire is extremely damaging to your empathy and other things important to art” over “vampires immediately lose the magical spark which is the source of true art.”

I definitely prefer the former, the loss of humanity is much more interesting and makes more sense when it's your new life grinding you down rather than a binary switch. Creativity can't really be detached from other cognitive functions, and vampires are very much human-like in intelligence, so you run into the same sort of problems as when you have fantasy settings where one race is "evil" by definition. How does that even work?

Then again, the oWoD is on the side of mysticism over hard rules worldbuilding so I'm willing to give it a bit of leeway. It just grinds my gears than in a gameline that does such a good job of explaining how the vampiric condition would corrupt a decent person simply by forcing them to participate in an incredibly brutal society to survive (instead of settings with the much more boring answer "it just turns you evil because you lose your soul"), creativity is treated as this nebulously "human" trait.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Because we only know what humans consider as art as a reference and barometer for creativity. If you actually had a storyteller try to go into what a vampire would consider art than you'd still have to go into human characteristics of the times they lived in, what they identify with as art and how much they can handle new things on the horizon like holograms or synthpop. Purely vampire art for the damned is up in the air and usually never something Toreador care about - or at least openly discuss if they do.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Crabtree posted:

Purely vampire art for the damned is up in the air and usually never something Toreador care about - or at least openly discuss if they do.

Isn't that the Toreador antitribu's whole deal?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't that the Toreador antitribu's whole deal?

Not entirely, unless your definition of vampiric art is Sadism that's about enjoying the suffering of others. Because, of course, the Sabbat aligned Toreador have to be extra stupidly evil to the point of rolling willpower saves to not randomly cause pain to someone or loving extreme ugliness.

Or the Volgirre, the super secret Sabbat Toreador that recently have rejoined the Camarilla who have and love to use Vicissitude and turn people into "art".

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I've always imagined that vampires don't adapt well to changes because of their nature. I mean, their bodies regenerate and repair damage to what they were like when they were Embraced, right? That's why someone who becomes a vampire as a child stays a physical child and never grows older. And skills are developed by building connections between neurons in the brain. Since vampires would regenerate back to their default, I imagine they can't really build new skills and talents. This is why "freedom" and "rights" never takes with old vamps and they never really become artistic geniuses. They can get more experienced, but they can't learn.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crabtree posted:

That said it's probably also a masquerade deal in the end. Like if you're say vampire Rembrandt and you're still making paintings in your style, regardless if human society views it as good as The Conspiracy of Claudius Civilis, your work starting to surface is going to get attention like say a Vampire Tupac still releasing albums when there's no more extra tapes to mine. So even if you can still do some impressive work, even if you're not bored of your craft and how you've done it for who knows how many centuries, at the end of the day it is going to make elders talk about restricting or even ending you if you were a big enough name in the art world and suddenly a new bejeweled catacomb of saints or a Sistine Chapel with even bare hints at poo poo like Caine pops up. So even if you still got it, you're encouraged to stay in the back ground before people begin to ask questions or see you.

Oops

Crabtree posted:

Because we only know what humans consider as art as a reference and barometer for creativity. If you actually had a storyteller try to go into what a vampire would consider art than you'd still have to go into human characteristics of the times they lived in, what they identify with as art and how much they can handle new things on the horizon like holograms or synthpop. Purely vampire art for the damned is up in the air and usually never something Toreador care about - or at least openly discuss if they do.

I think "vampire art" would be like killing humans in a really cool way or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

I've always imagined that vampires don't adapt well to changes because of their nature. I mean, their bodies regenerate and repair damage to what they were like when they were Embraced, right? That's why someone who becomes a vampire as a child stays a physical child and never grows older. And skills are developed by building connections between neurons in the brain. Since vampires would regenerate back to their default, I imagine they can't really build new skills and talents. This is why "freedom" and "rights" never takes with old vamps and they never really become artistic geniuses. They can get more experienced, but they can't learn.

Right. Interview was pretty big on that idea, with Lestat being stuck as this super old-timey vampire but Louis was more able to adapt, but still falling behind the times as things like movies started to be invented.

I always liked the idea that vampires by nature as immortal are always falling out of date and have to sire new vampires just so they can establish a relationship with the current era. It creates a sort of perpetual upkeep that makes their existence less attractive and also gives a strong reason for creating children in the first place.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey this might be too hard of a derail but if you’re not aware the TV show Preacher has a Vampire in its core cast and the back half of season 3 has a really awesome “small town vampire cult” plot that seems like with some small tweaks could make for an awesome story.

Basically Cassidy, essentially an Irish Ravnos who puts all his points into fortitude and stamina for the purposes of binging, is discovered by a cult who worship a Ventrue styling himself to be a classical Dracula style vampire. This Ventrue takes in strays and runaways and turns them into vampire missionaries who go out into the world and make it a safer place for the children of the night!

Except he’s actually turning them into vampires just to diablerize them and get super beefy from their vampire blood it’s a good twist and made for good TV and now I’m in the rabbit hole of taking all my favorite vamps and trying to reverse engineer their bloodlines.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Besides the fact that vampires can either be entranced by a certain mortal and willingly or unwillingly turn them into a vampire for whatever reason; yeah, sometimes its done as a societal need to be aware of how the gently caress mortals think these days. Although I don't usually think they need to do the latter when vampires tend to make more vampires against their elder's desire or need for new blood.

And I dunno, while there's probably some evil vampire death art you can do, I also think that can become something like melding someone's aura or blood to look a certain way to those that can see or feel it. The curse can do a lot of weird poo poo and I'd think some of them would want to like perfect or craft their own weird takes on disciplines (which is why the entire toreador clan took in the Volgirre and gave them fake ids. Regular Cammie Toreador get access to poo poo the Camarilla doesn't typically have or condone and the dark angels get to walk around without the Inner Circle seemingly aware there's loving Viscissitude users in a clan.)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The era of abundant and accessible art is a relatively new phenomenon. Most Toreador acquired their habits and routines back when art and its makers were scarce resources to be fought over (especially if one was a bloodsucking monster who has trouble going out during the day or entering churches).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey this might be too hard of a derail but if you’re not aware the TV show Preacher has a Vampire in its core cast and the back half of season 3 has a really awesome “small town vampire cult” plot that seems like with some small tweaks could make for an awesome story.

Basically Cassidy, essentially an Irish Ravnos who puts all his points into fortitude and stamina for the purposes of binging, is discovered by a cult who worship a Ventrue styling himself to be a classical Dracula style vampire. This Ventrue takes in strays and runaways and turns them into vampire missionaries who go out into the world and make it a safer place for the children of the night!

Except he’s actually turning them into vampires just to diablerize them and get super beefy from their vampire blood it’s a good twist and made for good TV and now I’m in the rabbit hole of taking all my favorite vamps and trying to reverse engineer their bloodlines.

That was my favorite part of S3. Cassidy is such a good character.

Lestat is obviously Toreador.

Angel is a Brujah? Same with Spike...

Castlevania Dracula is tricky to place. Tremere?

The lost boys are Anarchs.

Deacon Frost from Blade, Ventrue.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
True Blood: There's only one clan, and it's Daeva.