Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Buldozer was an absolute joke, but Zen is pretty good if you're will to trade off clock speed for more cores and Zen2 looks like its going to close the gap real fast

intel is meeting them in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Buldozer was an absolute joke, but Zen is pretty good if you're will to trade off clock speed for more cores and Zen2 looks like its going to close the gap real fast
I remember a while back there was an Intel slide implying that 7nm from 'other leading foundries' was ~10% better compared to their 10nm. That doesn't matter because Intel won't have an 10nm part this year. They're stuck on 14nm for a long while.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Budzilla posted:

I remember a while back there was an Intel slide implying that 7nm from 'other leading foundries' was ~10% better compared to their 10nm. That doesn't matter because Intel won't have an 10nm part this year. They're stuck on 14nm for a long while.

10nm intel is never coming out, we have to too toward 7nm intel for them to do a node jump.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

wargames posted:

10nm intel is never coming out, we have to too toward 7nm intel for them to do a node jump.

Meanwhile TSMC is already starting N7+ volume production :lol:

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1131931279602069504

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

wargames posted:

Also 7nm won’t increase clock speed, just reduce power and increase density, IPC should improve but we might never see 6Ghz.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Perplx posted:

Also 7nm won’t increase clock speed, just reduce power and increase density, IPC should improve but we might never see 6Ghz.

Bring back Prometeia.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Perplx posted:

I'm honestly kinda fine with this--I'm still rocking a 5820k, and honestly it's plenty fast enough for anything I've ever needed it to do. I would really appreciate being able to eek out a few extra hours from my laptop, though, so any power reduction is quite welcomed.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Perplx posted:

anything that reduces power on intel part would be great. Also if they can fix their security while they are at it thanks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

I'm honestly kinda fine with this--I'm still rocking a 5820k, and honestly it's plenty fast enough for anything I've ever needed it to do. I would really appreciate being able to eek out a few extra hours from my laptop, though, so any power reduction is quite welcomed.

tbh an official non-ES 1660v3 is already down to $250, I'm actually hoping that this might be the straw that finally gets server farms to dump their Haswell-E in bulk and those prices nosedive even further.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

MaxxBot posted:

Meanwhile TSMC is already starting N7+ volume production :lol:

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1131931279602069504

5nm volume in Q1 2020, loving wild.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Huh. If Taiwan is so far ahead, why are Intel and AMD processors the norm?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Instructions take 2 characters in Mandarin so their CPUs are half the speed they should be.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

surf rock posted:

AMD is using TSMC for their new CPUs launching very soon, Intel uses their own fabs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

surf rock posted:

There's a lot that goes in to CPU performance other than just node size. Another factor to consider is that listed node size does not always directly translate 1:1 between fabs the way you'd think, because not everything in a chip is actually produced at the smallest size the node is capable of running at. In the past TSMC's nodes have generally been considered behind Intel's by one or two, eg their 10nm was producing actual results roughly equivalent to Intel's 14nm node. We shall see if this continues, though.

But, yeah, they produce a poo poo ton of chips for applications other than general purpose desktop CPUs--ARM CPUs, for example, massively out umber Intel ones in global application, because they make up the brains of your phones, switches, IoT, etc. So in many ways they are the norm.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Another factor that has traditionally been different is that Intel optimizes for clock speed and TSMC for low power and high density. This made Intel’s version of a node the best (by a very large margin too) if you wanted to make a hot chip which ran real fast.

I don’t think those process design priorities have truly changed, but it’s quite possible they don’t matter as much anymore. It’s so easy to achieve far too high a power density to effectively cool a chip that even Intel has been on a decade+ long trend of improving performance by making their processor cores more power efficient (thus allowing them to extract more performance from whatever power density limit they choose to design against). Having the industry leading Ids(on) logic transistor in your cell library doesn’t matter as much when industry wide design trends favor using smaller, more efficient transistors.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DrDork posted:

a very good post
To add to this in response to the "why are Intel/AMD CPU's the norm" comment:

AMD and Intel for a long time were the only ones who could produce x86 ISA CPU's and x86 CPU's that are saleable around the world and they are the de facto standard in the PC world for a variety of factors.

These days AMD can't make their own CPU's anymore (they sold/spun off their fabs into GF because Bulldozer was a huge flop that financially almost sunk the company) so they have TSMC and GF do it.

Historically there were other x86 compatible CPU designers and makers (VIA, Cyrix, IDT/Centaur, etc) but they weren't able to keep up with the development and products of either Intel or AMD and have either disappeared, got bought out (pretty much all the later VIA x86 CPU's were really Centaur designs for example, I think VIA got the whole Centaur team in a buy out), or focused instead on other markets (ie. embedded, the Geode SOC's produced by Nat. Semi were really Cyrix MediaGX (which was really just a 5x86!!) SOC's for instance until AMD bought the line from them) when they couldn't compete in the desktop/server/laptop space anymore.

AMD did sell their 1st gen Zen design to a Chinese company a while back so technically there still are non-AMD/Intel producers of modern high performing x86 CPU's but they're not allowed to sell it outside of China per the legal agreements. Besides the obvious gigantic technical and financial issues of building a x86 CPU that can compete with Intel/AMD's latest and greatest the legal and patent issues of doing so make it just about impossible for any other competitor to pop up again like they did in the 80's and 90's.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

surf rock posted:

In addition to what's already been said, TSMC is a pure semiconductor foundry - they manufacture chips that their customers design. They don't design anything in-house. It's one of their core business principles to never compete with their customers, because if they did they'd never be trusted with any trade secret chip designs again.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

priznat posted:

I’m shocked that they figure the current type CEM connectors are good enough for those rates. Maybe with a 2” trace (on megtron 6)!!

Gen4 is going to be a real blink and you missed it spec sort of like what Gen2 was like.

The big phy producers will be cadence and synopsys though, as usual.

For real. We're getting into serious territory for serdes though given 28gbaud and 56gbaud is par for the course now in ethernet implementations, it might just be reasonable for high end servers and motherboards.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

K8.0 posted:

Instructions take 2 characters in Mandarin so their CPUs are half the speed they should be.

:golfclap:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Well this is new

https://adoredtv.com/

Announced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDeTruZOC8Y

This guy really doesn't like Intel TBH, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Adored is a significantly worse version of wccftech and the only reason you should consume his content is if you've run out of parody articles to read and are hungry for more.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't watch him, but what has he put out that's so inaccurate?

E - nm, I listened to three minutes of that and that's enough.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 26, 2019

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Intel's first to 5ghz all cores.

eames
May 9, 2009

i bet they held back top bin 9900K examples for a while, 8086K all over again.

also this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Intel announces inverse bitcoin: pay money and manually solve math problems at 5 GHz to generate electricity and cool your PC.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Vintage computing, a room full of people doing a lot of math problems by hand

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

K8.0 posted:

The big stuff is within your window. Zen2 in a few months and then Intel hopefully combining a significant process leap with some architectural improvements. After that it should all be incremental for a while.

Even those are going to be doing well if they're like 10% steps forward.

Is this the Intel thing that was coming up? It sounds pretty impressive.

edit: it's fun to compare a top current desktop processor against my six-year-old laptop processor. Is there a Zen2 processor I could add to the comparison? I don't know what the numbers mean but I like that they're mostly very different.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 27, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

surf rock posted:

Is this the Intel thing that was coming up? It sounds pretty impressive.

edit: it's fun to compare a top current desktop processor against my six-year-old laptop processor. Is there a Zen2 processor I could add to the comparison? I don't know what the numbers mean but I like that they're mostly very different.

No, that intel chip is just an older model at a higher speed. Its not right saying its factory overclocked, but its functionally almost the same.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

For real. We're getting into serious territory for serdes though given 28gbaud and 56gbaud is par for the course now in ethernet implementations, it might just be reasonable for high end servers and motherboards.

Well, AMD just shrugged and casually dropped PCIe 4.0 in Ryzen 9x.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't watch him, but what has he put out that's so inaccurate?

E - nm, I listened to three minutes of that and that's enough.

lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I remember how mad he got when (think it was Hardware Unboxed?) who threw cold water on these largely because the pricing made little sense if the performance was going to be as expected, as there would be no reason to undercut Intel so aggressively and throw revenue away.

Welp, we got a site to launch!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wanna know the TDP for the 9900KS. Gonna cook pancakes on top of my PC

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
There are plenty of reviews out there running 5 GHz 9900k's, though some of them were on incorrect bios settings and never corrected them. The ks is going to be somewhere between stock and those overclocked results. I have no trouble cooling my 5GHz 9900k on stock voltages.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

more cost effective to buy more 2U dual-socket AMD servers even if you need twice as many as 4U quad socket intels.

Maybe if you're just looking at the server hardware, but once you factor in the extra switches, PDUs, software licenses, storage, hardware failures and management overhead?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I wanna know the TDP for the 9900KS. Gonna cook pancakes on top of my PC

Intel is probably going to say it's 95w.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
While Intel's definitely got egg on their face for re-treading the 9900K, I really can't wait until Buildzoid looks over the X570 boards and we also get some FLIR imagery of the X570 chipset and why it needs active cooling.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Its already been said by Steve and Buildzoid that heat is an issue if you run M.2 RAID off of the PCIe 4.0 buses on the X570 chipset but otherwise probably won't be a problem.

Heat-wise you're looking at like 10-15W max, which is a lot for a chipset these days but not all that much really, so nothing really interesting there to stare at with a FLIR cam either.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's okay, guys, I still think Intel's..... okay! I mean, like as not, Thunderbolt is still an Intel-only thing until USB 4, and that's not gonna show up until something 2022 at the earliest. I'm probably buying an LG Gram with Ice Lake for my brother still, when those show up.

Speaking of Thunderbolt in the intervening period: I, for one, am very glad to see that Intel is doing slightly less stupid things with regards to not hanging Thunderbolt exclusively off the PCH.

Though their testing methodology with Gen11 graphics raises some eyebrow-raising questions.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 28, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's okay, guys, I still think Intel's..... okay! I mean, like as not, Thunderbolt is still an Intel-only thing until USB 4, and that's not gonna show up until something 2022 at the earliest.
AMD's x570 boards support thunderbolt. Sort of.

As long as Intel's 7nm products hit in 2021 and are competitive Intel will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its already been said by Steve and Buildzoid that heat is an issue if you run M.2 RAID off of the PCIe 4.0 buses on the X570 chipset but otherwise probably won't be a problem.

Heat-wise you're looking at like 10-15W max, which is a lot for a chipset these days but not all that much really, so nothing really interesting there to stare at with a FLIR cam either.

Asus has said it still runs hot even running a single SSD off the PCH.