Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

mystes
May 31, 2006

yo mamma a Horus posted:

Yeah, which one is your favorite?
The OA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

swickles posted:

You definitely missed some things then.
Like?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

diego < apeguy < cha-cha < vanya < rumour < No.5 < Hazel < Klaus < Ben < Narrator of Flavorful Origins < Everyone else in Russian Doll < Oatmeal

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My favourite part of the show was the female lead who had no agency in her entire story until she went kill-crazy and had to be stopped.

No, wait, maybe it was the random flashback to establish that she'd always been a sociopathic killer, so the family patriarch really was justified in taking away her power.

Hmm, I also liked the textbook fridging of the Detective, that was a fun and original twist.

And presenting the black woman as having used her powers to attain unearned status and popularity, then literally silencing her for the last couple of episodes, I thought that was worth mentioning.

Oh, and the pudgy white guy assassin getting a happy ending, while the black woman is unceremoniously killed in the apocalypse, I didn't see that coming!

Really, there were so many interesting choices made in the show!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Yes. It has good pacing, which is the primary criticism of all comic book shows on any streaming service

jesus christ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Show may suck but it's at least better than this thread

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Angry Salami posted:

My favourite part of the show was the female lead who had no agency in her entire story until she went kill-crazy and had to be stopped.

No, wait, maybe it was the random flashback to establish that she'd always been a sociopathic killer, so the family patriarch really was justified in taking away her power.

Hmm, I also liked the textbook fridging of the Detective, that was a fun and original twist.

And presenting the black woman as having used her powers to attain unearned status and popularity, then literally silencing her for the last couple of episodes, I thought that was worth mentioning.

Oh, and the pudgy white guy assassin getting a happy ending, while the black woman is unceremoniously killed in the apocalypse, I didn't see that coming!

I liked how literally none of that was part of the source material.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Show is fun and I am curious where they go in a second season as it seems like they pulled a lot from the comics already.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Sounds like captain marvel is more for you then

This is not a superhero show. It's about drama with damaged people and they just have super powers. None of the characters have it great.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Old man kills himself so team can re-form to stop end of the world. But old man's death is what triggered the events that began the apocalypse. Great plan, old man?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Last ep: Did Vanya intend to bring down the moon or did she loose control by accident/due to being startled?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Last ep: Did Vanya intend to bring down the moon or did she loose control by accident/due to being startled?

I think she was unconscious at that point, wasn't she? Allison had just fired the gun right next to her head, which knocks her out for whatever reason. And then the laser beam shoots out of her, which just so happens to be aimed directly at the moon. I didn't see Vanya having any specific plan really, it seemed like she just wanted to gently caress things up at that point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Avalerion posted:

lost control

nooneofconsequence posted:

Old man kills himself so team can re-form to stop end of the world. But old man's death is what triggered the events that began the apocalypse. Great plan, old man?

I think everything that happens to the seven kids is extremely understandable and sympathetic. Even Vanya. Especially Vanya. I see a little bit of my own anxiety in many scenes with her. She's not TV-show crazy, she's traumatized, socially isolated, and not thinking straight because Leonard intentionally got her off of her medication.
Reginald is an inhumanly lovely science dad whose every decision is terrible, but sometimes parents are loving poo poo. Homeschoolers are a thing in real life too, so are orphanages. Sometimes parents inflict a bunch of terrible and nonsensical decisions on their kids instead of a childhood or preparation for the outside world.
That also means, though, Reginald is a weak point of the show. Which is fine. He's not in it for the most part. Except I'm kind of worried about that particular twist and season 2 because Reginald knowing about the apocalypse is going to mean there's a closed time loop and I don't see how that will work without being horribly lovely. I really, really wish season 1 just ended with stopping Vanya..

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Reginald is an inhumanly lovely science dad whose every decision is terrible, but sometimes parents are loving poo poo.

Plus there's... him not actually being a human, that was a nice touch in hindsight! Though I'm not sure what exactly we were supposed to take away from his flashback.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

Old man gathers a team of superpowered kids to stop the end of the world. But old man being such a tremendous rear end in a top hat towards one of the kids is what triggered the events that began the apocalypse. Great plan, old man?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Angry Salami posted:

Imagine this being the first thing you read when the forums come back up

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

sad

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My favorite part was the monkey dramatically saying, "Now is the time to reveal the last secret." after crazy girl had already been hosed with and started killing people. Maybe you could have warned people, monkey!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
To be fair to the monkey she only attacked Alison the night before so it's not like he waited weeks to say anything. The whole season only takes place over the course of eight days.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The "I Think We're Alone Now" dance scene is loving art

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Everything in that post is right though

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
most people who watch the tv show like a tv show and not like you're looking for YA novel writers to harass on twitter actually find Vanya to be an extremely sympathetic portrayal of mental issues, and it's important to have those when you have poo poo like mainstream horror or Harley Quinn

feel very tired just looking at the rest of it so whatever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk the only thing that I would say is accurate is the fridging of the cop, which was p lame.

Everything else though I'd say is fairly subjective. The issues that poster has w/ minorities I respect, but personally I'm just happy the cast isn't 100% white like they seem to be in the comic.

I liked Rumor's storyline personally. Having that power and not using it for yourself would be hard as gently caress. Her literally getting silenced later was a bit on the nose tho, curious to see if they'll have it last or have her heal enough to speak again. And Vanya's storyline was about her having next to no agency due to being pushed aside and tricked into taking suppressive drugs her whole life and being heavily depressed and medicated so :shrug: I thought it was well done.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Where was the monkey's backstory? Was he a man that became a monkey? Brain transfer? Monkey injected with brain juice?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The world of the comics is much less grounded than the Netflix show, so in the comics there are talking chimps and Martian apes and they just exist. Luther's head is grafted onto a Martian ape body in the comics, and the detective that Diego works with is an old man who has a talking chimp as a partner. There are a lot of changes they made to characters from the comics.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
what I want to know is what happened to the other 36 spontaneous births that old man couldn't buy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

what I want to know is what happened to the other 36 spontaneous births that old man couldn't buy

Options for villains, I figure.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

And how about the leader of the global conspiracy organization speaking Yiddish?

Just a lot of weird choices in this show.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I liked it but wish it was only like four episodes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

They mostly died, because it turns out that freakish mutations that radically alter the nature of what it means to be human mostly aren't stable.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

precision posted:

Rebuttal: this show owns

S Tier:
Mom
Number 5
Klaus
The Handler

A Tier:
Cha-cha
Hazel
Grace

B Tier:
Vanya
Rumor
Big guy

lmao tier:
Diego

Spoiler super S tier: ______Ben______

D Tier: Exposition Monkey

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the show reminded me a lot of venture bros but less competent and often too serious for its own good. the show was at its best when it was just stylish scenes set to pop music and at its worst when it wanted to be serious and brooding (diego is the absolute worst).

i agree with the criticisms about the female characters. it was disheartening that every woman, from vanya to the doughnut lady, lacked agency and served mainly as vehicles to move the male story arcs forward. i found vanya and rumor's relationship to be genuinely interesting but the show barely explores that with any depth and their big, dramatic confrontation toward the end of the show feels unearned.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well, DC universe doom patrol had ended
Anyone who watched both doom patrol and umbrella academy want to say which show good or show bad? They are kind of comparable

I still don't get the hate for umbrella academy. It's a drama, some people are going to have a poo poo deal.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
gently caress UA. Marry Doom Patrol. Kill Inhumans

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doom Patrol kicks seven shades of poo poo out of this show

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I liked both but Doom Patrol does almost everything better.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
DP is better because superhero poo poo is inherently stupid as gently caress and it embraces the goofiness. UA attempts drama and its mostly an attempt

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I watched this show with my wife two months ago, and now just read this thread, and I can't remember any of these character's names now so this thread was very confusing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

the show reminded me a lot of venture bros but less competent and often too serious for its own good. the show was at its best when it was just stylish scenes set to pop music and at its worst when it wanted to be serious and brooding (diego is the absolute worst).

i agree with the criticisms about the female characters. it was disheartening that every woman, from vanya to the doughnut lady, lacked agency and served mainly as vehicles to move the male story arcs forward. i found vanya and rumor's relationship to be genuinely interesting but the show barely explores that with any depth and their big, dramatic confrontation toward the end of the show feels unearned.

I liked the bits where Vanya lacking agency was the whole idea - she's been manipulated and traumatised her entire life, and breaking out of that is terrifying. I thought Ellen Page did a great job (has she ever not?) and I would have loved more of her and Rumour, yeah.

I did love how self indulgent the show was though. The gratuitous umbrellas, extended Think We're Alone Now moment, the drug trip arson music video. Even when the plot was kind of generic it was great to see them clearly making the show that they wanted to make. Its refreshing, when so much stuff, even "prestige" TV is pretty interchangeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, vanya's depression-induced lack of agency and breaking through it was the whole point of the character.