Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

*katana emoji*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Please, no more data logs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it is very annoying that if you want to get the FF7 remako mod to work you have to move your entire steam directory, since the non-steam pc version of the game doesn't seem to be available in US territories anymore

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

my desire to try playing a ps1 final fantasy again isn't terribly high but man i really wish VIII would get some nice remake treatment, i would love to hear that batshit story told with voice acting and the modern cinematic experience

I'd settle for a basic remaster.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remake FF8 but only the Laguna parts. Also change the story where Laguna is gathering news at a huge Triple Triad tournament and spends the entire game kneeling pensively at other players’ buttcracks.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
That and the gameplay is entirely around incresingly convoluted ways to avoid exp / leveling up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Remake FF8 but only the Laguna parts. Also change the story where Laguna is gathering news at a huge Triple Triad tournament and spends the entire game kneeling pensively at other players’ buttcracks.

the second half of the game is about being banned from the tournaments so he beomes president of esthar to pardon himself and legalize priest posing at triple triad tournaments

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I finally got to Zanarkand in FFX. The cutscene at the endboss in this location is very nice, but I'm annoyed that I have to watch it again because the opening Mega Death move of that boss's phase 3 is bullshit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Become zombie.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's the sequence working on multiple levels. Maybe Yevonism... Is bad. Maybe zombies... Are good?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mega64 posted:

"HAY GUYS DID YOU KNOW LAGUNA IS GAY????"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

werdnam posted:

I finally got to Zanarkand in FFX. The cutscene at the endboss in this location is very nice, but I'm annoyed that I have to watch it again because the opening Mega Death move of that boss's phase 3 is bullshit.

congratulations on your successful rite of passage as an ffx player

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
attempting to install the remako mod taught me a couple things

- modding ff7 is a madman's labor
- the music sounds like rear end even after the graphical upgrade works, which rather defeats the whole point

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

attempting to install the remako mod taught me a couple things

- modding ff7 is a madman's labor
- the music sounds like rear end even after the graphical upgrade works, which rather defeats the whole point

Don't you have the Steam version with the restored OST?

I think there is also a mod to put the exact PSX sound files on the PC version.... I can't remember but I think they are a little different than the Steam soundtrack.

You might want to check these out though.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?board=38.0

Also last time I fully beat FFVII in 2014 I used that Bootleg installer I mentioned earlier and it added some custom songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfe1BkP2HA

This was the song used for the fight you have with "Zack" in New Threat to get Omnislash. It's so good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
replaced the .ogg files already, it doesn’t help (even though they sound fine when played directly via VLC)

my best guess is that the moddable version of FF7 you need to create for the Remako mod filters all the .ogg files through a low quality MIDI player, which is more of a headache to fix than I’m going to bother with

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Following on from my previous posts about FFXII, I have finally beaten the story. I clocked up nearly 70 hours before going to the last area. This game is a masterpiece. I love all the little nods throughout FFXII to my other favorite Square game, Vagrant Story. The final bosses are both identical :allears:

The music is so sublime too

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Oxxidation posted:

it is very annoying that if you want to get the FF7 remako mod to work you have to move your entire steam directory, since the non-steam pc version of the game doesn't seem to be available in US territories anymore

You can just make a secondary steam directory and only install FF7 in it. The music should be fine without any fiddling, I think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Following on from my previous posts about FFXII, I have finally beaten the story. I clocked up nearly 70 hours before going to the last area. This game is a masterpiece. I love all the little nods throughout FFXII to my other favorite Square game, Vagrant Story. The final bosses are both identical :allears:

The music is so sublime too

The game definitely nailed most of the beginning and the very ending. The main place it loses folks is the second half up until the top of the lighthouse on. There are a lot of draggy parts there where people can drop off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

You can just make a secondary steam directory and only install FF7 in it. The music should be fine without any fiddling, I think.

i migrated over the directory with little trouble, but the music's borked no matter what i do

i'm probably just going to walk away from the whole experiment, if i can't get the chimes of Anxious Heart juuuust right then what is even the point

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The game definitely nailed most of the beginning and the very ending. The main place it loses folks is the second half up until the top of the lighthouse on. There are a lot of draggy parts there where people can drop off.

I would agree with that for sure. Only two parts in the game stuck out to me when it came to overstaying their welcome and that was the Yensa sandsea areas and the lighthouse of Pharos. They were probably about two or three times longer than they needed to be. Pharos redeemed itself by having a great boss battle at the end and an amazing cutscene to cap it off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wish I could play FF12ZA without being overwhelmed by analysis paralysis :sigh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish I could play FF12ZA without being overwhelmed by analysis paralysis :sigh:

In my recent replay I rolled a D12 for each class and subclass. Fudged a little in allowing myself to count clockwise or counter around the circle, and for my second jobs I rolled them all then assigned where I like so the mechanist could get something actually useful. My first time with TZA I definitely froze up a little trying to find the best options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

If you buy it on switch or bone you can redo classes at any time you have access to the clan guildhall which is basically the entire game

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There was a "leak" posted about the remake, as if it's actually getting released, saying that the game won't actually be episodic, just that it will be split into two parts, with part one nearing completion and part two up in the air. Apparently, the first game will end with Aeris dies. Which sounds like complete bullshit, because we haven't seen poo poo outside of Midgar yet. Take this with a grain of salt, but get hype for E3 woo hoo oh boy Square is surely on the make again guys woo no don't walk away where are you going guys stop for real Square is a good company again guys stop laughing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think Gologle should be the new president of Square-Enix.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

I think Gologle should be the new president of Square-Enix.

if gologle becomes president of square enix he has my sword as a new hironobu sakaguchi

who am i kidding i'd probably be another tetsuya nomura :sigh:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If the remake ever comes out it's just going to be 13 remade with 7's characters and cutscenes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

In my recent replay I rolled a D12 for each class and subclass. Fudged a little in allowing myself to count clockwise or counter around the circle, and for my second jobs I rolled them all then assigned where I like so the mechanist could get something actually useful. My first time with TZA I definitely froze up a little trying to find the best options.

Yeah honestly I need to just treat it like four job fiesta.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

filters all the .ogg files through a low quality MIDI player

uh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

okay fine, lower-quality

the music files themselves are fine when played directly so something must be happening with the game executable itself to make them sound like they're being played on a block of wood

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn, I suck at Final Fantasy: Tactics: War of the Lions. I thought maybe I just sucked at it because I was young when I originally played OG FFT on a PSX, but no, I’m just terrible at it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

Goddamn, I suck at Final Fantasy: Tactics: War of the Lions. I thought maybe I just sucked at it because I was young when I originally played OG FFT on a PSX, but no, I’m just terrible at it.

Its not an easy game and is extremely rude about its setups in stages. I think its pretty poo poo for this reason, but if you want to beat it youll want guides to make sure youre not wasting time on the wrong skills and class setups.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I accidentally clicked to learn Rend Helm, which seems useless.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Remember to check shops for latest gear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

I accidentally clicked to learn Rend Helm, which seems useless.

Yeah it is. Every knight ability is pretty useless compared to just dealing damage.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Knight is really just there as an early game damage sponge while unlocking other classes. The break abilities are awful. It's literally my one huge complaint about the game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alec Eiffel posted:

Don't be afraid to grind actions in easy stages you've already beaten (especially for job points). If you go straight from mission to mission it can get brutal quick.

EDIT: Yeah Rend Helm (and generally Knight break skills) suck, but if you keep at it with Knight you'll unlock Monk, which has better utility skills.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Wow, each character's goodbye before diving into the portal to another world in FFV is sadder than the last. Lenna says a goodbye to the chancellor, literally "goodbye Chancellor" (couldn't even learn his name?), Faris says she knows her crew will keep pillaging and looting without her, and Bartz says a goodbye to Boco, who we left in the starter zone and eventually replaced with a nameless newer model with flying powers. I don't know why Galuf left us behind in the first place. There clearly isn't anything tying these characters to their homes. The only person any of them could remember the name of to say goodbye to was a chocobo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lenna (and Faris) are leaving an entire country (castle) to be led without the guiding hands of hereditary royalty. Faris already left her pirates but I think they think she'll be back. Butz not having poo poo is his core character trait. Sorry, "pursuit" is his core character trait.

Spoilering FFV feels weird, considering that the plot is a flimsy excuse on which hang the rest of the awesomeness that is FFV.

E: actually the only plot beat in that post is spoiled before the spoiler. Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I had this at first - six hours into my playthrough I decided to start over again because I didn't like the job combinations I picked. Then I thought I'd try picking two jobs that are opposites of each other or very different to each other in general, and I found I enjoyed it a lot more. It helps that getting LP isn't really an issue since it's guaranteed at least 1 LP every single kill even on low level mobs. I got past my analysis paralysis very quickly compared to a lot of other games.

On my completed second playthrough I think I picked a less-than-ideal combination for one of my characters anyway (uhlan/bushi) and that character still tore up the place with a pair of berzerker bracers and a haste gambit assigned to him

I think maaaaybe one complaint about one of the classes is that foebreaker is basically an auto-attack class, from the description you'd think this class would spend time debuffing and breaking down defenses, except you don't find all the debuff techniks until extremely late into the story. My foebreaker had berzerker on him most of the game just for this reason

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 27, 2019