Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Can't lie, I'm in a bit of a shock. This result should not be possible with this roster :psyduck:

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
Good job Finland World champions and a convicted sexual criminal to European parliament :finland:

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

The stronger our opponent, the better we will play. Team Finland hockey mens!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

1995, 2011, 2019.

Where can I put money on Finland winning in 2023?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
winning the olympic gold is still the one that eludes us

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atJWUBl76I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvy4YSt1tQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbAzBRg6ClI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uayOq_iCS6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwmdQeSiS1g

Sormus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 26, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Zat posted:

Can't lie, I'm in a bit of a shock. This result should not be possible with this roster :psyduck:

2 goals on 3 shots

(Canada couldn't have played that better but they faced a hot goalie and Murray stunk at key points, gg's Finland you're the only team I'm ok with losing to)

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Good job Finland World champions and a convicted sexual criminal to European parliament :finland:

Well, that is not a minus to his voters. Also, finnish results were pretty good as I see it. Rest of europe probably not as good as I hoped. Your mileages may vary on this very much, of course.

mutta Suomi on MAAILMANMESTARI

Aaaaaa

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Triple A posted:

winning the olympic gold is still the one that eludes us

The IIHF is every year so odds on if you are in the top ~six you will win every now and then

The olympics are only once every four years, it is going to take a while

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Tortilla avataan pojat :finland:

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Porrima posted:

Well, that is not a minus to his voters. Also, finnish results were pretty good as I see it. Rest of europe probably not as good as I hoped. Your mileages may vary on this very much, of course.

mutta Suomi on MAAILMANMESTARI

Aaaaaa

Definitely. Kokoomus winning was bad enough, at least punavihervasemmisto did well.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Just here to day SUOMIIII

theem
Nov 17, 2006
Torille perkele!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Serious question, how on earth have the USA not won the World Championships in 60 years?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

ThinkTank posted:

Serious question, how on earth have the USA not won the World Championships in 60 years?

send some of your dudes to the SM-Liiga, maybe they might learn something there

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

they used to send really bad rosters, only recently have they started sending anything decent but lol Jeff Blashill

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

NHL overlaps pretty badly at times.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Amazing stuff. Good job Finland.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sandepande posted:

NHL overlaps pretty badly at times.

As it does with every team, but Canada wins occasionally. The USA is probably the second best hockey nation on earth, I don't get how they haven't won at least one since the advent of jetliners.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The US only recently has had the depth that is anywhere comparable to Canada's (and it's still a big step down if we're being realistic). Like they had some good teams in the mid 90s and early 00s in the Olympics/World Cup but the depth was not there (especially for guys willing to go the WC).

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
GG Finland your international teams are owning it lately, keep it up (and the women should've won, too)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ThinkTank posted:

As it does with every team, but Canada wins occasionally. The USA is probably the second best hockey nation on earth, I don't get how they haven't won at least one since the advent of jetliners.

luke glendening got the 5th-most minutes of any american forward against russia

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
I think that some of the North American players have issues getting used to the larger ice surface.. for Canadas Dmen i noticed they kept getting burned being aggressive to keep the play alive, not sure if that works well on a bigger rink.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nice work Finland, can't even get mad

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Hmm, Hronek named best defenseman. Neat

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I just got home from the central square at Tampere, Finland. The place was loving packed, people were swimming in the (really quite small) fountain, it was loving amazing. I took some photos but they all suck because I was real loving drunk.

Hockey's the only sport I've ever really followed seriously so it's cool that every now and then Finland remembers that we're actually really loving good at it.

The 2011 championship was important to me personally because it was a really bad year for me and the victory helped me forget all that for a while. Problem is nowadays I can't really think of the hockey part without also thinking about all that other poo poo. So I'm just happy that we now have a championship without all that personal baggage.

In conclusion hockey owns, Finland owns, Mörkö owns.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/kotkavirta/status/1132802450967154688?s=19

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

clean ayers act posted:

Hmm, Hronek named best defenseman. Neat

He was very noticeable in every game I saw him in. If it wasn't already apparent after this year that was definitely a great 2nd pick by Detroit.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Angry Asian posted:

I think that some of the North American players have issues getting used to the larger ice surface.. for Canadas Dmen i noticed they kept getting burned being aggressive to keep the play alive, not sure if that works well on a bigger rink.

Rene Fasel said starting next year with the WC in Switzerland they'll use the smaller north American rinks to make the games faster.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24pySkBn7gM

Loudness warning :finland:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

and I thought it would not really be possible to get across how crazy this nation goes when this happens

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Apparently, around 57% of finnish people watched the final at least at some point.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Porrima posted:

Apparently, around 57% of finnish people watched the final at least at some point.

About 4.5 million people in total watched the games, with the only real reason why there wasn't more in the final is because it was late Sunday and people have to be awake for work. In a nation of about 5 million people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I tried finding another source for the video. It's Teemu Selänne celebrating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgQtBqFDgEw&feature=youtu.be

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 28, 2019