Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've seen og Wicker Man twice, and all I can ever remember about it besides the ending is Britt Ekland's butt double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zwabu posted:

The Omen, also.
Damien: The Omen II is also a good option, and honestly very underrated.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw the OG Wicker Man for the first time like a week ago, and honestly, I think the Nic Cage one is a much more entertaining watch :shobon:

Had I seen it in the 70s, I probably would've gone crazy over it, but I've seen the Nic Cage one multiple times and I'd just rather watch that again instead of this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of films with a specific similarity to Hereditary - specifically, I'm looking for movies with heavy occultism, "the occult is real," and/or the cult wins in the end. I'm already familiar with and a fan of The VVitch, and I'm eagerly awaiting Midsommar. Been playing a lot of Cult Simulator recently as well.

New or old. Modern or period. Cheesy and fun or serious and slow-burning. Let me have them! :cenobite:

Blood on Satan's Claw

A plowman in a small English village in the 18th century unearths a strange inhuman skull. He immediately runs to get the local judge who is a highly knowledgeable man of science. However when they return the skull has vanished. Soon after the murders begin.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 27, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rageaholic posted:

I saw the OG Wicker Man for the first time like a week ago, and honestly, I think the Nic Cage one is a much more entertaining watch :shobon:

The original is really bad.

Brightburn, man, you could have been so good but good god they dropped the ball. It moves quickly but isn't that interesting, and the story is just presented in such a flat way. Really the only good thing about the film is some of the gore but even then there's not that much of it. The idea of killer, child Superman is good, but he has no motivation other than "I'm bad and I'm supposed to do this." The whole film felt like it was written by an idiot teen metalhead in high school who got bullied a lot. They should have hid the fact that he's alien away until the end and have him slowly come into his powers; within like 30 minutes he's flying at super sonic speed and breaking poo poo left and right. He also shouldn't have been as powerful because he spends time stalking his prey but there's literally no reason for him to, they only do it to build tension but there's none to build when you know that no one has a chance in hell from hiding to getting away from him.

Also, too many stupid jump scares.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

wait is the kid literally like brandname Superman? I don't like comics or super heroes but that seems bizarre they'd let a brand like that make such a dark movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kvlt! posted:

wait is the kid literally like brandname Superman? I don't like comics or super heroes but that seems bizarre they'd let a brand like that make such a dark movie
Nah, but he might as well be. The movie takes place in Kansas, the kid comes to Earth as a child in a spacecraft and is adopted by a farming family, he discovers his powers as a kid, etc.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Shrecknet posted:

If you can find it, Without Warning, a movie that no-poo poo kept me up at night and is a sort of proto-found-footage deal. Basically an asteroid strikes a city, and the entire movie is told through "non-stop 24 hour news coverage of this event," with no Network-style peeking behind the camera. Literally 100% of the movie is either a newscaster or a person on scene reporting on the news. It's really, really good and very gentle in how it slowly turns from 'natural disaster reporting' into... something else.

Thanks for recommending me this; I really enjoyed it. I have to say, on the cosmic horror front, the beginning fear of giant, unknowable objects flying around in space that may or may not intersect with the earth's path and wipe us all out at any moment and for no reason was much more effective than the reveal that the meteors were sent by rock throwing aliens who are bad at communication. Though it was made up for by the reminder that our fates are ultimately controlled by warmongering morons who just want more funding for their rockets.

I watched it on YouTube, and also enjoyed all the comments from people who had caught it on TV as kids and thought it was real.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kvlt! posted:

No, but everything about him is Superman, just evil, including the laser eyes and drat near invincibility. He even has his own kryptonite.

sigher fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 27, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

s.i.r.e. posted:

He also shouldn't have been as powerful because he spends time stalking his prey but there's literally no reason for him to, they only do it to build tension but there's none to build when you know that no one has a chance in hell from hiding to getting away from him.

See maybe they just handle it poorly, but for me the fact that he is near-Superman level in powers is why it works as a horror concept. Superman BUT EVIL is always treated as some dystopian sci fi in comics, but thinking about the actual horror of someone with that much power coming after you and there's nothing you can do is a really strong premise. If he had bullshit half-assed Smallville powers it wouldn't be very interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

He also shouldn't have been as powerful because he spends time stalking his prey but there's literally no reason for him to,

He enjoys it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

See maybe they just handle it poorly, but for me the fact that he is near-Superman level in powers is why it works as a horror concept. Superman BUT EVIL is always treated as some dystopian sci fi in comics, but thinking about the actual horror of someone with that much power coming after you and there's nothing you can do is a really strong premise. If he had bullshit half-assed Smallville powers it wouldn't be very interesting.

IMO It just doesn’t work very well as a horror concept though. We see early on that the kid has godlike powers, so there’s no drama to him killing his victims; we know they don’t have any chance of getting away. The only actual drama where the outcome is in doubt is at the very end.

For that matter the kid is so powerful that there’s really no reason for him to be stalking and killing people and halfheartedly covering it up. He thinks/knows that he’s a superior life form and that one day everyone will know how special he is, so IMO there’s no real reason for him not to just reveal his powers and demand everyone bow down to him rather than playing serial killer. There’s no real point to him trying to cover up his crimes either, because he doesn’t have the slightest difficulty in doing anything.

The movie implies that he is a predator and “brood parasite” who’s carrying out his killer instincts, but the movie wants to have it both ways where he’s also a 12 year old boy who has given in to his darker impulses rather than going full tilt with “he’s an alien with an incomprehensible alien mind” and it’s extremely muddled as a result. Is he a bad seed psycho who was always destined to grow up to be a serial killer, or was he a normal kid who suddenly has his alien programming activated by his ship at puberty? The movie can’t decide.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 27, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
OG Wicker Man rules you philistines

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

:agreed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx70L_wBZB8

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah I don’t know where this ill wind that blew all the OG Wicker Man haters in came from... but I don’t like it. You should all be burned in some kind of... effigy.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 27, 2019

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I can’t wait to watch Brightburn so I can read this thread. Feels like a lots of stuff could use a spoiler tag.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Drunkboxer posted:

What poser would claim otherwise?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I was seeing Midsommer instead of Brightburn in a couple of hours

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Snack Bitch posted:

I can’t wait to watch Brightburn so I can read this thread. Feels like a lots of stuff could use a spoiler tag.

You could get most all this info just from the trailers.

edit: But I went back and spoiler tagged my post.

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I was seeing Midsommer instead of Brightburn in a couple of hours

‘Tis not mid summer yet.

Is Midsommer opening wide? Please tell me it’s opening wide.

edit: no, of course it’s not.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 27, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Brightburn was a turd. How do you have that good of an idea and waste it with high schooler level writing and imagery lifted straight from the infinitely superior Chronicle?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Its not even that good an idea tbh

"[blank]...but EVIL" is always kinda lame imo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

weekly font posted:

Brightburn was a turd. How do you have that good of an idea and waste it with high schooler level writing and imagery lifted straight from the infinitely superior Chronicle?

Hmm

On one hand, Brightburn sounds like a filler movie that is built around its one idea but only it

On the other hand, Max Landis wrote Chronicle and that alone is worse than most things...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Its not even that good an idea tbh

"[blank]...but EVIL" is always kinda lame imo

but what about Evil Bong?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Burkion posted:

Hmm

On one hand, Brightburn sounds like a filler movie that is built around its one idea but only it

On the other hand, Max Landis wrote Chronicle and that alone is worse than most things...

Chronicle is great and what gave him enough cred and exposure (other than his last name) to later show what a loving hack creep he is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

but what about Evil Bong?

that doesnt count bc its a documentary

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1133062310061232136

David 3 incoming

Now brought to you by Disney!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm watching Zombie's Halloween II for the first time and I can't remember the first one very well. Was Loomis this much of a prick in the first Zombie Halloween?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm watching Zombie's Halloween II for the first time and I can't remember the first one very well. Was Loomis this much of a prick in the first Zombie Halloween?

Not really, though I do favor the interpretation that his "Michael was always destined to be evil and nothing could have ever stopped him from being a murder machine" claims are incorrect and he's egotistical. But the first Halloween was still ostensibly a remake, so Zombie hewed relatively closely to the original's basic plot apart from the expanded childhood. For the sequel he just did whatever the hell he wanted.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1133062310061232136

David 3 incoming

Now brought to you by Disney!

Good. Prometheus was fantastic and while I wasn't entirely happy with how Covenant treated Shaw, I'm still totally on board with the whole "David as robot Lucifer by way of Dr. Frankenstein" story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What was the name of that Swedish? Movie with the lady security guard that looks like the Geico caveman? I cannot remember for the life of me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm totally down for Prometh3us.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

veni veni veni posted:

What was the name of that Swedish? Movie with the lady security guard that looks like the Geico caveman? I cannot remember for the life of me.

Border. Hulu has it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lurdiak posted:

Perhaps, but most horror villains can't be killed but they have limitations that make them interesting, they're slow, can be harmed or slowed down and actually have to work their way to those they're trying to kill. The kid has no limitations and like everything with power creep and characters with god-like abilities it becomes really boring. When it got to the point where he was in full control of his powers and no one can stop him all tension in the film is lost and it didn't work anymore as a horror film.

A better example of this would be the Twilight Zone episode with the kid that has the psychic abilities.

Jedit posted:

He enjoys it.

He's actually just programmed to do it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for recommendations

Race With The Devil, because apparently my purpose in life is to recommend this film. It entirely fits the request.

also another film I may have mentioned before, Messiah of Evil:

Evil cults abound in both and well ...

It's clear that in real life evil always does win if we're going to say bad things about the original Wicker Man and endlessly discuss Rob Zombie films.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 27, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm the mood for old school sci-fi space horror, I'm talking things a lot the line of It! The Terror From Beyond Space, Planet of the Vampires, Twilight Zone. Any suggestions?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Galaxy of Terror if u want poo poo to get weird

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Jason X: lol this movie was fuckin’ stupid. I liked the kill when he froze that girl’s head and smashed it like a Sub Zero fatality though.

Next up: Jason Goes to Hell

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kvlt! posted:

Galaxy of Terror if u want poo poo to get weird

Saw it a while back, looking for older stuff, 50s-60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Saw it a while back, looking for older stuff, 50s-60s.

https://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-World-Jessie-Vint/dp/B07CLCJYV5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Forbidden+World&qid=1559000575&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Check out Forbidden World, it's a Alien rip-off but a really fun watch. Not as old as you were looking for but definitely a movie that is a love letter to that stuff.