Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pacerhimself posted:

Is NewEgg no longer the place to get computer hardware?

Man I used to love NewEgg. Now I usually find the price lower on Amazon or at least the free shipping helps. I built a theoretical computer and shopped both on NewEgg and Amazon and it was cheaper for the latter.

priznat posted:

They got hacked back in September and a bunch of CCs got swiped and they had a pretty poo poo response to the whole thing.

Also they're owned by mainland chinese interests now so beijing knows how many razer mouse pads you go through in a month!!

They got hacked quite a few years ago too and I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one since someone got it. They don't seem to be doing very well with keeping customers' CCs safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
NCIX, a computer retailer based in Canada that had a somewhat ill fated expansion into the states went bankrupt and shut down completely out of the blue a year or two ago. I had an order in progress with them that I had to battle with my CC co to get it charged back.

Anyway it turned out their entire customer database with CC numbers and all was sitting on systems completely unencrypted that were part of the bankruptcy liquidation. It was sheer luck that the buyer was honest and called the cops to report what he found on the systems he got but who knows what else could have gotten loose.

Haven’t had any charges on the card and it has expired since anyway. But that really made me leery of dealing with these type of computer sellers, of which newegg is just a slightly bigger version of ncix.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Costco should be in the computer parts bizz.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Literally no. The margins are poo poo and the customers are the worst people in the world (gamers and goons).

PBUC

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Since I contributed to the derail about computer parts, I will contribute by saying that I'm planning on making an essentials run to the 'Stco today.

9v batteries, Java Club coffee (pbuc), olives and then probably half a dozen other things I find.

Edit: forgot about turlet paper

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Building a shelf in my basement just to store paper towels and toilet paper from the Co, PBUC

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I heard one of the reasons that they officially got rid of their free lifetime returns policy is that people would buy a computer, keep it for 3-4 years, return it, buy a new one, rinse & repeat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

david_a posted:

I heard one of the reasons that they officially got rid of their free lifetime returns policy is that people would buy a computer, keep it for 3-4 years, return it, buy a new one, rinse & repeat.

That and people doing that for TVs, mostly because of the tvs iirc.

Costco instore computer systems are usually already 3-4 years out of date.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

pacerhimself posted:

Since I contributed to the derail about computer parts, I will contribute by saying that I'm planning on making an essentials run to the 'Stco today.

9v batteries, Java Club coffee (pbuc), olives and then probably half a dozen other things I find.

Edit: forgot about turlet paper

Good luck. Sundays are bad enough there, and assuming you're in the US, it will be even worse today with tomorrow being a holiday.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

That and people doing that for TVs, mostly because of the tvs iirc.

Costco instore computer systems are usually already 3-4 years out of date.

Their computer systems are surprising good. I was looking at them last week and none of them have mechanical HDDs, they’re all SSD now. Even the cheap $320 laptops they carry have an SSD

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

Their computer systems are surprising good. I was looking at them last week and none of them have mechanical HDDs, they’re all SSD now. Even the cheap $320 laptops they carry have an SSD

Mechanical hdd would be 6 or 7 years out of date

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Mechanical hdd would be 6 or 7 years out of date

And yet it’s half of the computers sold at Best Buy, Newegg or any other electronics retailer.

The price of NAND only cratered in the last year or two to make SSDs a standard feature for sub $600 PCs

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Praise Be Unto Costco,

But Curse Be Unto you Sinners, who cannot put their carts back into the proper place in the parking lot.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Halfway through the case of Kirkland peanut butter pretzels i have changed my tune; they are sublime.

PBUC

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow, I thought there were more Whole Foods than that.

shovelbum posted:

Everywhere I go pretty much has a whole foods and its like oh poo poo I live in a bubble

It's more that rural America is ridiculously spread out. Seeing it on a map like that is jarring for many people.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Driving across the country is a really weird experience with how empty it gets. It is only getting worse as the small towns die because the kids leave and don’t return.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Halfway through the case of Kirkland peanut butter pretzels i have changed my tune; they are sublime.

PBUC

:hfive: once the rocksalt really hits. I wonder if the more salted ones end up lower in the container or something.

naem
May 29, 2011

Taima posted:

It's more that rural America is ridiculously spread out. Seeing it on a map like that is jarring for many people.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
El Paso, Texas is closer to California than it is to Dallas, to put it in perspective. Texas really is loving giant.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I am guilty of not reracking my weights putting the shopping cart back in the corral.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I am guilty of not reracking my weights putting the shopping cart back in the corral.

you motherfucker. absolute scum.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

david_a posted:

My friend did this with xboxes. They'd release a new version or "halo masterchief" edition and they'd go to costco with the old one, full refund, new xbox. :v:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 27, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

My friend did this with xboxes. They'd release a new version or "halo masterchief" edition and they'd go to costco with the old one, full redund, new xbox. :v:
cheating costco is extremely cursed imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

My friend did this with xboxes. They'd release a new version or "halo masterchief" edition and they'd go to costco with the old one, full redund, new xbox. :v:

:sever:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Yesterday I ate there and got gas.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Yesterday I ate there and got gas.

Well don’t eat that food again!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow, I thought there were more Whole Foods than that.

Over 500 stores, they're just concentrated. We have four just in Austin and a fifth coming.

For pc parts, I plug poo poo into pcpartspicker and let it send me wherever.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Chinatown posted:

Fry's Electronics is not doing well. Amazon has destroyed them and there is no such thing as "easy mode" in brick and mortar retail.

I had to drop my wife off at the airport yesterday so I dropped by Frys. I hadn't been there in a few years and it was a big shock. Way fewer people then there used to be (although it was early) and the store seemed...clean? Like, it used to be covered in products. Now there was way less stuff and it just felt kind of empty. The "deals" they have are all pretty mediocre now as well.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
i bought 4 boxes of ice cream drumsticks

they were on sale

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bummey posted:

i bought 4 boxes of ice cream drumsticks

they were on sale

You are the target demo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SirPablo posted:

You need to be pro level when checking out. While waiting in line, or even as you put poo poo in your cart, arrange with the barcode facing up for easy scanning. When you hit the conveyor belt, flip the plastic divided upside down and place your card there (then when the cashier gets to your stuff they just grab and scan your card). Put as few items as possible on the belt, keeping as much as you can in the cart. I personally refuse boxing, stacks fine in my car.

I think my pleasant checkout experience probably lasts 30-45 seconds once I'm up to bat, and that is usually with 10+ items ($100+).

Speaking from experience of being a cashier at BJ's:

Barcode face down if it's on the belt. Up or at least easily accessible if it's left in the cart (on the side and unobstructed). Don't leave small things in the cart/too many items in there, it can get difficult keeping track of what you scanned when there's 30 items in the cart even if all the barcodes are easy to get to. Plus, since the cashier isn't watching the screen while they're scanning the cart, if they think something's wrong they're going to to waste more time than saved double checking their work.

wrt the checkers: In BJ's, if you had a big cart they just checked for double scanned items, and the bottom basket since that's where the vast majority of missed scans were. We also had a few checkers with a shrink spider sense and were really good at catching people trying to steal. The most common trick was to buy something big or bulky and hide something small like a movie underneath it. The checkers at my Costco narrate what they're doing as they work, I suspect to keep them sane doing the most boring job in the store. They usually just straight up count the number of items in the basket to make sure it lines up, if it's too many they'll spot check a few of the expensive items, double scanned items, and the bottom of the cart.

I dropped $100 on baby formula last week, and the baby got switched to Alimentum which Costco doesn't sell. I'm assuming that they'll give me no trouble returning it even though I didn't keep the receipt? It's still sealed and everything. I love checking out the random goodies section of Costco. Mine had a skid of Stroopwaffles that I bought on a whim and I can't stop eating them. They go wonderfully warmed over a cup of tea, and I don't even drink tea. I forgot to pick up paper towels and I don't even care, it means I get another dog.

Alright that was a month's worth of Costco thoughts while I catch up thanks for listening.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 27, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Renegret posted:

I dropped $100 on baby formula last week, and the baby got switched to Alimentum which Costco doesn't sell. I'm assuming that they'll give me no trouble returning it even though I didn't keep the receipt?

As long as you have the membership card you'll be fine.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Yeah, they keep a record of everything your account buys so you can return just fine without a receipt.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

If you return too much, they will give you the stink eye.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've never returned anything to Costco before, because I am A) Lazy and B) actually use everything I buy.

I'm going to time my next trip to when I need gas.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Return a tank of gas would be pro tier returning

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

david_a posted:

cheating costco is extremely cursed imo

This was the 360 days. You obviously can't do that anymore.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Ive returned clothes.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I returned a pair of shorts yesterday that I bought like 6 weeks ago and finally got around to trying them on. Turns out they were mislabeled and like 2 sizes larger than the tag said.

Guy at the return counter told me I'd grow into them.

But also took them back without a hassle and just refunded my credit card.

PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

"SIR WHY ARE YOU URINATING ON THE COUNTER??"

"I'm returning the Orange Juice. Not enough pulp."