Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Welcome to being a Venture Bros fan. The creators are well aware of their schedule, the trailer for the last season started with 'Good things come to those who ... ... ... .. wait!'

I'm pretty sure if they wanted to end the show they would, but Doc and Hammer and others seem to be quite happy working at their own pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ultimateforce posted:

Hello everyone sorry to derail your thread but is there any information on if they are ever making more episodes?

I assume this is asked all the time sorry.

This show started in 2004 yet has semi-recently completed its seventh season.

Enjoy the wait!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think they said they were working on season 8 in some interview but that doesn't mean AS gave them the greenlight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They’re absolutely working on season 8. 7&8 were package deals like 3&4. They started work on it when they started season 7. It’ll be 10 episodes and likely air sometime next year or so.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

Hello everyone sorry to derail your thread but is there any information on if they are ever making more episodes?
The seasons are usually aired between 30 and 33 months of each other, so start worrying if we don't have a solid "yes" by the end of 2020.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Unless doc doesn't return to work due to his mystery disease

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nonexistence posted:

Unless doc doesn't return to work due to his mystery disease

I've been working my way through the commentary, and is it just me, or is Doc's voice noticeably different? It's like he's hoarse or something; his voice isn't scratchy, but it's in a lower register (pitch-wise) than it usually seems to be on these things. I know he was in the hospital prior to doing the commentary, as he's mentioned it a few times, but I didn't think it was something that would change his voice appreciably.

Hope the guy is doing OK.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

tarlibone posted:

I've been working my way through the commentary, and is it just me, or is Doc's voice noticeably different? It's like he's hoarse or something; his voice isn't scratchy, but it's in a lower register (pitch-wise) than it usually seems to be on these things. I know he was in the hospital prior to doing the commentary, as he's mentioned it a few times, but I didn't think it was something that would change his voice appreciably.

Hope the guy is doing OK.

If he was intubated while in the hospital, that would explain the hoarseness of his voice.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
He might even have damaged his voice after years of voice-acting Sheila!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Didn't he have back surgery?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nothing terribly notable, but a nice interview with Doc an Jackson here. They talk a bit about season 8—not in production yet, but they're starting the writing process.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
It's always funny to read a good Hammer ramble. And now I kind of want to know what "Hanknarok" is supposed to be. My Season 7 bluray just shipped from New Jersey and should arrive in France by the 14th. Can't wait to watch it!

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 4, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hanknarok is when Hank is found worthy and wields Thor's hammer and brings about the end days, obviously.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m guessing it’s Hank’s complete descent into madness and super villainy and honestly if the next season doesn’t pretty much entirely focused on that I’ll be super disappointed

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe it will just be a montage and the season will start out with Brock going to Hank "You got that all out of your system?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I also note their apology for "opening doors they didn't intend to let people in or out of" and promising not to do that in future, which is likewise promising.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rand Brittain posted:

I also note their apology for "opening doors they didn't intend to let people in or out of" and promising not to do that in future, which is likewise promising.

what does that even mean?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TK-42-1 posted:

what does that even mean?

I think the mean putting something in an episode without the intention of ever doing anything with it. Like the Orb. They put it in because they thought it was cool, but then it never went anywhere and they completely dropped it. I guess they are saying that they understand that their fans take all this stuff seriously and will try to find meaning in everything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

I think the mean putting something in an episode without the intention of ever doing anything with it. Like the Orb. They put it in because they thought it was cool, but then it never went anywhere and they completely dropped it. I guess they are saying that they understand that their fans take all this stuff seriously and will try to find meaning in everything.

See also: Kim.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

See also: Kim.

You masturbate enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a lot of it is stuff that's more interesting for its possibility rather than what they actually do with it. Basically, JJ Abrams style Mystery Boxes, which I think audiences, and especially the audience for Venture Bros, have gotten very tired of.

Though then again, a lot of stuff works well as forgotten leftovers of super-science whose creators are all long dead or disinterested and no one knows exactly what it's supposed to do or how it works until it starts causing trouble, like PROBLEM. I like to think The Nozzle and a bunch of other stuff the OSI has is a result of that, where the original design notes they've long lost, classified or never had in the first place. Though I think the idea is better to introduce stuff out of the blue but at least have some context by the end of the episode.

I think it kinda goes with how a big theme of The Venture Bros has always been the idea of cartoon heroes and villains' actions actually having consequences in the long term and the ramifications of such.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m just so tired of cliffhangers as a plot device and having it be compounded with multi-year breaks just really highlights that after more than a decade they really have no idea how to resolve any of the stories they’re trying to tell.

It’s ok for things to end

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Blue Morpho storyline doesn't count?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Blue Morpho is definitely an example of how setting up long-term payoffs and plot tie-ins can work really well with this show. I think they're just recognising that they should do that more often and not set up threads they never plan to follow up on meaningfully. (or at least as a really good joke)

I think last season was an example of them biting the bullet and revealing a shitton of stuff that they've been vague at best about until recently, and it sounds like next season they're setting something up with Hank and Dean's mom. (Which might also be a good way to add more female representation to the show, though I bet it's as likely to end up like Shazam, spoiler alert)

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now: What is the cheapest way to see the last season streaming? I missed it entirely and need to get caught up, but am cautious about buying too many physical media items after having lost all my previous collections (except what I could access digitally) in a fire last year. It's probably weird or whatever, but that's me now. I've had a sort of hard time finding it--maybe I'm not looking correctly.

Before said fire, I had all the VB seasons up to that point on a combination of DVDs and Blu-Ray. I miss 'em.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Probably just watching it directly on Adult Swim.com

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now: What is the cheapest way to see the last season streaming? I missed it entirely and need to get caught up, but am cautious about buying too many physical media items after having lost all my previous collections (except what I could access digitally) in a fire last year. It's probably weird or whatever, but that's me now. I've had a sort of hard time finding it--maybe I'm not looking correctly.

Before said fire, I had all the VB seasons up to that point on a combination of DVDs and Blu-Ray. I miss 'em.

I'm sure there's a better site but I use this to find what streaming services are running a season or are selling it.

https://trakt.tv/shows/the-venture-bros/seasons/7

Looks like it's free on Adult Swim if you have cable and you can buy to stream on Amazon, iTunes, and Vudu. Be aware that just because you buy it to stream does not mean the service will always have it. Every single one includes a clause where they can just stop offering to stream after a certain date and only have to refund if you purchase within X days before the shutdown. Almost every single service that has been around for awhile has already removed content and that leaves you with nothing.

I would never pay for digital to own unless I get a file that I can store however I want and play at any point in the future as long as something can read the file still.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

pixaal posted:

I would never pay for digital to own unless I get a file that I can store however I want and play at any point in the future as long as something can read the file still.

I get that, but it's sort of a personal neurosis or whatever that I have right now.

Anyway, thanks all. Adult swim's streaming used to be awful for me so I didn't try it, but will.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You can always buy physical and then rip the files out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It'd be nice if there were an easier way to give them money. Pay for shirt club next time as penance for pirating it now?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I have a spare code for the digital version of Season 7. Not 100% sure what service it is, it’s whatever came with the physical copy. $10

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I've bought the seasons from Microsoft's varyingly named services for over a decade now. Everything keeps transferring fine, and they're on the ball with having the new eps up within 12 hours of broadcast.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

“Venture Bros co-creator on how series will end”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykw5ck0l8c4

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean yeah a lot of people thought Prom Night was the finale and I do like how he said he would end the series not tying everything up in a bow.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

I mean yeah a lot of people thought Prom Night was the finale and I do like how he said he would end the series not tying everything up in a bow.

Oh yeah.

But really, the way I see it, Operation P. R. O. M. would have fit what they're talking about, finale-wise. Sure, it feels like a finale, but what did they tie up? Hunter Gathers got a promotion, sure, and the S.P.H.I.N.X. thing wrapped up, kinda-sorta, but at the end, we had Dean and Hank (and Dermott) doing something dumb, Doc using his mad superscience skillz to get himself into trouble, Brock arriving to save the Ventures just in the nick of time with his knife in his hand, Treister getting shot into space, and that's it. Life would go on, pretty much the same as it had been doing.

... man, just thinking about that... that was one of the best hours in television history. I wish I could get more people to watch the preceding four seasons and then that episode, so they could properly enjoy it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I used that episode in art school when I was discussing the designs and theme Venture Brothers did. I got like a few people hooked because of that episode :v:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm kind of disappointed with the "Rusty is also a clone" thing. I liked the whole "Rusty is the sole person good at this one thing, but it's outlawed as a consequence to a previous administration's bugbear in regards to abortion". If it turns out that Jonas Snr could do this stuff as well as Rusty, well...

Although, it's not too bad a characteristic with Rusty basically being Jonas Snr but not quite as much as an rear end in a top hat - see that Rusty cloned the kid that died, whereas Jonas didn't even bother to do that in these regards to all those kids left at the mercy of M.U.T.H.E.R.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

LashLightning posted:

I'm kind of disappointed with the "Rusty is also a clone" thing. I liked the whole "Rusty is the sole person good at this one thing, but it's outlawed as a consequence to a previous administration's bugbear in regards to abortion". If it turns out that Jonas Snr could do this stuff as well as Rusty, well...

Although, it's not too bad a characteristic with Rusty basically being Jonas Snr but not quite as much as an rear end in a top hat - see that Rusty cloned the kid that died, whereas Jonas didn't even bother to do that in these regards to all those kids left at the mercy of M.U.T.H.E.R.

Technically you don't know that he didn't. I would think losing like 30+ kids on a field trip to your basement would raise a few flags.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

LashLightning posted:

It's pretty heavily implied that it's Jonas's cloning technology that Rusty took. And by implied, I mean Brisby says it out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They say "fake it till you make it" Rusty never stopped faking it