Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

woo, Half Price Books memorial day sale means dirt cheap Criterions

Any duds in this stack? The only one I'd heard of before was Modern Times(that's the one where the horror of capitalism is depicted by a man riding on a giant gear and wiggling his eyebrows, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nope, that’s a pack of classics. Anatomy of a Murder is incredible.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In a Lonely Place is probably my favorite Bogart tbh. You’re in for a treat.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, that's a fantastic haul. The Killers is probably the worst film in the selection, and even that's a pretty slick noir.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys were right, Anatomy of a Murder is good. Never thought I'd hear Jimmy Stewart say "panties" so many times.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Never thought I'd hear Jimmy Stewart say "panties" so many times.

I demand a new thread title

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time Bandits is a cool movie that’s all.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If you're depressed and casually browsing CC for something to watch, don't pick Sansho the Bailiff. Beautiful movie, but that was some Grave of the Fireflies level poo poo I wasn't expecting.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Been really digging the Columbia Noir series on the channel, good stuff there.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I just want to see a Criterion remaster of Ordinary People in my lifetime :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chuka Umana posted:

It's actually a good movie!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Origami Dali posted:

If you're depressed and casually browsing CC for something to watch, don't pick Sansho the Bailiff. Beautiful movie, but that was some Grave of the Fireflies level poo poo I wasn't expecting.

Sansho inspired one of my favorite quotes from a critic:

Anthony Lane posted:

I have seen Sansho only once, a decade ago, emerging from the cinema a broken man but calm in my conviction that I had never seen anything better; I have not dared watch it again, reluctant to ruin the spell, but also because the human heart was not designed to weather such an ordeal.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yo I’m watching this movie about a guy in Italy who’s bike got stolen and it’s real good

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Unmature posted:

Yo I’m watching this movie about a guy in Italy who’s bike got stolen and it’s real good

Pee Wee’s Grande Avventura is one of my favorites too

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's actually a good movie!

People poo poo on it cuz it won over Raging Bull for Best Picture, but I still think it's just as worthy as Raging Bull tbh

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Chuka Umana posted:

I was more of a fan of Ordinary Peepholes.

If we are bringing it back to Gilliam films.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Criminal Minded posted:

Sansho inspired one of my favorite quotes from a critic:

Anthony Lane posted:

I have seen Sansho only once, a decade ago, emerging from the cinema a broken man but calm in my conviction that I had never seen anything better; I have not dared watch it again, reluctant to ruin the spell, but also because the human heart was not designed to weather such an ordeal.
between his trembling awe for sansho and wanting to do the rumpy pumpy w/ mrs. incredible, anthony lane is a land of contrasts

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

When is the next 50% off sale. I want Police Story!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

DevCore posted:

When is the next 50% off sale. I want Police Story!

it's typically in July

Unmature
May 9, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Pee Wee’s Grande Avventura is one of my favorites too

Mecca Lecca Hi’m walkin’ heeere!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chuka Umana posted:

Unfortunately, Paramount has opted to keep the majority of their previously-released-on-DVD library under lock and key for licensing. That's why Olive Films and Kino Lorber have released a ton of titles that never got DVD releases from Paramount themselves. At the same time, only a whopping 12 titles previously released on Paramount DVD have been licensed out since 2006. (1900 to Olive Films; The Duellists to Shout! Factory; and Days of Heaven, Harold and Maude, The Virgin Suicides, Election, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Medium Cool, Nashville, Rosemary's Baby, Seconds, and Don't Look Now to Criterion).

Between Criterion, Shout! Factory, and Arrow, there's a ton of titles that are prime for full-out special editions.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
anyone else get their Blue Velvet pre-order in?

just got mine on saturday, excited i ams

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Picked up the Criterion copy of Michael Mann's Thief today, should be an interesting watch.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Thief is great and I like it more than Heat

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Thief for the first time the other day and really liked it. Mann is not someone who I've seen very many films from but that made me think I should definitely be watching more from him.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Raxivace posted:

I watched Thief for the first time the other day and really liked it. Mann is not someone who I've seen very many films from but that made me think I should definitely be watching more from him.

He has a great batting average. Only rarely put out a stinker (Miami Vice). You can jump in almost anywhere and find a good to great movie. Collateral, The Insider, Manhunter, Heat - all awesome. I even like Public Enemies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Thief is great and I like it more than Heat

Heat barely rates for me. I like half a dozen Mann movies more

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

He has a great batting average. Only rarely put out a stinker (Miami Vice). You can jump in almost anywhere and find a good to great movie. Collateral, The Insider, Manhunter, Heat - all awesome. I even like Public Enemies.

Public Enemies is great except for the two shots where it looks like he just had a camcorder around and decided that was best to use.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think Public Enemies is the only one I'm really not into (other than The Keep, which gets points for being straight up weird). I'm even really fond of Blackhat, and I hope the director's cut gets a physical release someday because the scene order int he theatrical cut is obviously compromised. Collateral, Blackhat, Mohicans, and Ali are all good in my opinion, while Manhunter, Heat, Insider, Vice, and Thief are all straight classics.

Anyone who calls Miami Vice a stinker in my presence gets a slap updside the fuckin head.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Blast Fantasto posted:

Miami Vice is loving fantastic :colbert:

Sometimes I think it's my favorite Mann film. The digital cinematography is so mournful, like a hungover dawn. The whole thing feels like your heart anxiously beating in your throat. It's as if Malick or Wong Kar-wai made a cop drama.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Miami Vice is loving fantastic :colbert:

Sometimes I think it's my favorite Mann film. The digital cinematography is so mournful, like a hungover dawn. The whole thing feels like your heart anxiously beating in your throat. It's as if Malick or Wong Kar-wai made a cop drama.

I've seen it referred to online as 'one of the most expensive art films of all time' Here is a cool essay http://sensesofcinema.com/2007/feature-articles/miami-vice/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wg1l17x0Y

Gong Li :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRNz2lEV-es

bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJX7RrhPznQ

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yes! Thanks for digging up that essay, I read it years ago and haven't been able to find it since.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Yes! Thanks for digging up that essay, I read it years ago and haven't been able to find it since.

For sure. It may or may not be my favorite Mann film but it's definitely my most watched of all of them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Thief is a movie that's really grown on me. I blind bought the Criterion because I already loved Mann, didn't fall in love with it right away but then I watched it a second time and enjoyed it a lot more. I've since watched it a third time and it definitely seems to be moving up my personal ranking of Mann films.

It's very real in a way that some Mann films aren't, he really nailed the balance there between style and realism that he probably only matched a few other times in his career.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I assume this is what sparked the Thief conversation in the first place, but I hope everyone is listening to Blank Check. They just started a Mann series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Thief is a movie that's really grown on me. I blind bought the Criterion because I already loved Mann, didn't fall in love with it right away but then I watched it a second time and enjoyed it a lot more. I've since watched it a third time and it definitely seems to be moving up my personal ranking of Mann films.

It's very real in a way that some Mann films aren't, he really nailed the balance there between style and realism that he probably only matched a few other times in his career.

Thief fuckin owns, but it doesn't hurt that the opening 10 minutes is just unfiltered cinematic bliss; I mean even just in terms of narrative structure it breaks so many unspoken formal rules, and I love that Caan comes off as sophisticated due to his trade but in terms of social development he's basically a naive high-schooler. After he breaks his code and it all comes crashing down around him he basically reverts to fight or flight animal nature and the film just runs with it and says 'Deal' :colbert: It's crazy how influential Thief was under surface, I've caught bits of it in Sicario and No Country..., and elsewhere, but I'm of the opinion that Thief borrowed a lot, too, mainly from The Killing of a Chinese Bookee.

I love that the Tangerine Dream song that shreds during the final scene is used in a modified version during Manhunter's most pivotal scene 5 years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htawoJODHA8&t=241s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl62PvygKeA&t=265s

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I found myself thinking of Friends of Eddie Coyle for some reason while watching Thief but I can definitely see some Chinese Bookie in there.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
miami vice could use a criterion blu ray of the theatrical cut, considering it is the unsurpassed greatest film of the 21st century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

atrus50 posted:

miami vice could use a criterion blu ray of the theatrical cut, considering it is the unsurpassed greatest film of the 21st century

miami :yosnice: