Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ariong posted:

Cool, you mind providing some sort of explanation for what any of that means? The only bit I recognize is Istandwithvic/kickvic, which are presumably the very dumb people siding with that sex creep who worked on anime and the people rightfully against him. Everything else is nonsense to me.

Most of the context isn't as important as someone deciding they're going to post as this person's dead cat and blaming her for its death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

The Grimace posted:

You're all making me very glad I didn't watch anything after Eureka Seven. The original series was a fantastic coming-of-age hero's journey about love and maturity and the end was everything it needed to be. The idea of them continually ruining that is excruciatingly heartbreaking.

What keeps me watching these E7 sequels and spinoffs despite regular disappointment is that on a certain level they're fascinating, in that they're clearly being made from a position of care - unlike what somewhat commonly happens with anime it's not a case where the title/IP changed hands to an inferior production studio just to keep cranking things out or to different creatives who had no connection with the original... they're made by the same studio, many of the same creative talents and plenty of quality work is going into them. But as Neddy Seagoon said, they absolutely, fundamentally do not understand what people liked about the original.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know exactly what people need now that we're talking about anime. A couple dudes on a couch discussing how well done and hosed up Marvel's CGI can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnRuPZ1Exg&t=270s

oh wait poo poo, they're VFX artists

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

On a side note, if anyone's looking to try their hand at internet video reviewing, Humble Bundle has a bundle with Vegas Pro Edit and some other stuff. It's also on sale on Steam for $69.95 USD. Either way, it's a good deal for a program that's usually $200, and it's cheaper than going through Adobe. :v:

Also, I should mention there's the free, albeit diffiuclt-to-master alternative of DaVinci Resolve, if only so Foldable Human doesn't have to bring it up.

The reputation of Resolve as having a particularly steep learning curve is a couple years out of date by this point. It was extremely true (and indeed I was one of the people saying it) during v10 through 12, but they've fixed most of the new--user usability of issues since then (v16 is in beta at the moment).

Like, just for context back in v12 you couldn't import footage into bins when you were on the Edit page, you had to use the Media page, and you couldn't drag-and-drop footage into Resolve, you had to use the built in file browser to ingest footage. There were dramatic learning curve issues even if you were extremely familiar with other editing suites. At this point most of Resolve's apparent difficulty comes from option-overload if you wander into the Fusion, Color, or Fairlight sub-systems. If you stick to Edit and Deliver it'll take about as long to learn as any other editing software package. Like if you've never used a non-linear editor before VEGAS isn't exactly going to hold your hand. Actually maybe less, since Resolve comes with a massive 3500 page PDF manual full of exhaustive detail on just about every function and three big section (Fusion, Color, and Fairlight) written with the assumption that if you're reading the manual you're new.

I actually kinda feel bad about contributing to the "Resolve is hard to learn" reputation because even if it was extremely true at the time, Blackmagic has put in a huge effort to fix those problems. It's surprising in an age where software just seems to get perpetually worse with every update.

I'll also say that VEGAS has gotten a lot better since they broke away from Sony. It still has some wacky holes in its codec support and their compression algorithms are... not great... but their feature set has come a long way in the last couple years.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

RareAcumen posted:

I know exactly what people need now that we're talking about anime. A couple dudes on a couch discussing how well done and hosed up Marvel's CGI can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnRuPZ1Exg&t=270s

oh wait poo poo, they're VFX artists

This made me want to watch Doctor Strange again :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sorry i forgot to dig this out earlier for our conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK4jasq2uY8

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

yeah no this was good

Are you out of your goddamn mind

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Are you a mod

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice does it again bring us another great British based retro gaming documentary, this time about Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy creator Matt Smith (not that one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GjTJt40VRY

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ArfJason posted:

Are you out of your goddamn mind

I have to mod this thread, you tell me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Jay is back to talk about The Warriors with a special guest

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

That movie is such a weird, glorious trip.

It's like a one-session RPG game you play at a geek convention with a greasy, frazzled DM.

"You're walking down the park on the way to the station. Random encounter! There's a tramp on a bench.Will save to resist her wiles. Ha, she's a cop in disguise!

Now you're in the turf of the Garfield Goners, a gang that cosplays as Garfield characters. Nermal swings at you with his bike chain. Roll for initiative."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
A shout out to Ripper :allears:

I'm glad more people have been making more references or callouts to that game in the last few years

The Warriors is great because it's a modern adaptation to an ancient greek epic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

The Warriors is great because it's a modern adaptation to an ancient greek epic

Quote + Username combo of course you'd know about Greek myth and history.

Xenophon and the Ten Thousand, right?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim talks about the state of traditional game journalism. My opinion of most game journalism is pretty low, but I'll admit we get some good stuff out of it. Occasionally.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Interesting reports where they actually interview sources from game developers, even if anonymous, are pretty good. But across the three gaming sites I read, there aren’t many.

The rest are just news articles I can get from anywhere(which is fine) or fluff pieces in the vein of “Here’s why *insert nostalgic game here* was my childhood.”

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The best part of Kotaku is constant updates on the happenings of The Sims, brought to you by Gita Jackson.

I know a lot of people give her poo poo for it but I mean that unironically.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Honestly, I'll take a million stupid takes about GoT from Kotaku if it means they do a bit of real investigative journalism once in a while. Just like NYT's actual investigative reporting isn't devalued by their mindboggling op eds or access journalism.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Noah Gervais is having weird issues with uploading the other half of his travelogue where it's uploaded and works and can be watched, but it says it's stuck at 95%. He's been posting direct links on twitter and patreon though, which seems to all work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwjUwZdvYI

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Max Wilco posted:

Does Lindsay/Pirate Jenny still stand by that, though?

I mean, privately, yes. Publicly saying something to the tune of "consuming/enjoying pretty much any piece of media will probably require some moral concession in a fundamentally racist/sexist/classist/homophobic society so your mileage may vary for how you want to approach it" is a great way to get canceled. It's just a hop skip and a jump from that to "Steven Universe is fascism." Like yesterday I was tweeting about Rachmaninoff, and as I was doing that I was thinking "Oh god, Rachmaninoff probably did something terrible or was an anti-semite or something else I didn't know about, and my mentions are about to get flooded aren't they." They didn't, but it happens like... at least half the time when I say something nice about a public figure--ignorance of someone's misdeeds become's interpreted as de facto approval of that person's worst attributes. But that said I made that video in, what, 2013? That was just a very different time. Just the other day someone asked me for an interview, "What's a book that changed your life?" My honest answer was Speaker for the Dead, but I went for a safe answer by a non-problematic author instead. So I guess, privately, yes, but publicly, no, because I self-censor a lot more than I used to.

I do regret being so dismissive of the "Ender is Nazi apologia" argument--I do still find that particular argument and supporting evidence with regard to Ender and Card's intent authorial absurd, it's obvious that for a lot of people intent doesn't matter with regard to what Nazis find empowering.

Incidentally I just googled it and it looks like Rachmaninoff was actually kind of the polar opposite of a gentile anti-semite and actually stood up for Jewish colleagues in the face of real anti-semitism. Hell, if we find out he wasn't a eugenicist he can join the rank of HG Wells of "guys from that era who were actually pretty okay"!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, it’s actually kind of a pleasant surprise that Card turned out not to be a fascist, or at least not the vocal kind, and to be content without cultivating a twitter-based misogynist/race-scientist following. Maybe he has a column in the Deseret News or something, but if he can keep his ugly thoughts confined to pre-2000 technology, then I take some small pleasure in never having to hear about them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pirate Jenny posted:

I mean, privately, yes. Publicly saying something to the tune of "consuming/enjoying pretty much any piece of media will probably require some moral concession in a fundamentally racist/sexist/classist/homophobic society so your mileage may vary for how you want to approach it" is a great way to get canceled. It's just a hop skip and a jump from that to "Steven Universe is fascism." Like yesterday I was tweeting about Rachmaninoff, and as I was doing that I was thinking "Oh god, Rachmaninoff probably did something terrible or was an anti-semite or something else I didn't know about, and my mentions are about to get flooded aren't they." They didn't, but it happens like... at least half the time when I say something nice about a public figure--ignorance of someone's misdeeds become's interpreted as de facto approval of that person's worst attributes. But that said I made that video in, what, 2013? That was just a very different time. Just the other day someone asked me for an interview, "What's a book that changed your life?" My honest answer was Speaker for the Dead, but I went for a safe answer by a non-problematic author instead. So I guess, privately, yes, but publicly, no, because I self-censor a lot more than I used to.

I do regret being so dismissive of the "Ender is Nazi apologia" argument--I do still find that particular argument and supporting evidence with regard to Ender and Card's intent authorial absurd, it's obvious that for a lot of people intent doesn't matter with regard to what Nazis find empowering.

Incidentally I just googled it and it looks like Rachmaninoff was actually kind of the polar opposite of a gentile anti-semite and actually stood up for Jewish colleagues in the face of real anti-semitism. Hell, if we find out he wasn't a eugenicist he can join the rank of HG Wells of "guys from that era who were actually pretty okay"!

When you say that you only stand by that sentiment in private for fear of being cancelled if you expressed it publicly, and that you self-censor yourself more often than you used to, it indicates to me that there's an issue.

Regardless, I'm sorry for asking, because now like I put you on the spot as result. :smith:

EDIT: Uh...did I piss someone off? My avatar just changed, and :stare:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 28, 2019

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, the commodification of women's sexuality not having an age limit is an important discussion to have but good luck getting anyone to have it.

Speaking of the commodification of women's sexuality RLM also reviewed Under the Silver Lake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqYOImouvk

I'd been waiting for the movie to finally come out and they just dumped it to VOD. I thought it was great; it's not perfect, but it's nice to see something this ambitious and weird with a lot of attention to detail for repeat watching.

Dawgstar posted:

Jamie Marchi, one of the voice actors who says Vic groped her has been one of the 'movements' biggest targets. One guy decided to confront her at a con in Canada yesterday. Let's watch how it went, shall we?

https://twitter.com/Dominique_Skye/status/1132662368356491264

Indeed, Jamie made fun of him and then he was kicked out of the con. So.

Also I have now lost count of how many IStandWithVic goobers will also in the same breath say they hate anime dubs.

Yeah, the Anime North execs aren't going to be defending the name of Vic; from what I remember they barely tolerated him back in the day as a guest. Individual staff may vary, but people at the top are about as anti-CHUD as you're going to get, to their credit.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pirate Jenny posted:

The specific article and surrounding discourse about Card's intent for Ender's Game were reaching hard, but ultimately it is a book where an adult man set out to find the perfect way to write "oops I accidentally genocided!" as a story, and even if subsequent books do try to emphasize that it was bad and wrong, you're right that a lot of fascists will overlook that to get giddy at the genocide, or just outright side with the obvious bad guys like the Empire in Star Wars. Card's regressive political opinions already make him a beacon for those sorts of fans anyway, so that doesn't help the situation at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stillvisions posted:

Yeah, the Anime North execs aren't going to be defending the name of Vic; from what I remember they barely tolerated him back in the day as a guest. Individual staff may vary, but people at the top are about as anti-CHUD as you're going to get, to their credit.

Well done on their part. Even before one heard stories about Vic being a sex pest, you heard stories about how he treated convention staff. And that was around when FMA took off in the States and he could pack out convention halls.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Breaking news: Nazis partake in media and draw up on their own conclusions to further their own beliefs of the world, regardless of the creator's intent.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leal posted:

Breaking news: Nazis partake in media and draw up on their own conclusions to further their own beliefs of the world, regardless of the creator's intent.

Card's personal views aligning with a lot of the same things they believe does invite people to scrutinize his intent, in this case. Nazis love to insert little references in normal-seeming discussions, so it's not surprising that people would come away thinking the work is suspect. And this is before we get into the ethics of writing a narrative that works to frame the instigators of the genocide as innocent actors, regardless of intent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Card's personal views aligning with a lot of the same things they believe does invite people to scrutinize his intent, in this case. Nazis love to insert little references in normal-seeming discussions, so it's not surprising that people would come away thinking the work is suspect. And this is before we get into the ethics of writing a narrative that works to frame the instigators of the genocide as innocent actors, regardless of intent.

i think the idea behind enders game is interesting with the whole, "what if the protag unknowingly commits xenocide and how the gently caress would anyone come to terms with that" and its still an interesting book. that being said. alot of cards other works is super openly regressive in a ton of different ways and has only gotten more so, so i don't really care for his stuff.

Leal posted:

true. while i think creators/companies shouldn't try to court them or let some rear end in a top hat slip poo poo coded poo poo in there(like the destiny 2 thing) chuds are gonna like and hate whatever they want and they mostly hate everything outside old stuff or weird stuff or whatever critics don't like/hot take about.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 28, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Honestly, I'll take a million stupid takes about GoT from Kotaku if it means they do a bit of real investigative journalism once in a while. Just like NYT's actual investigative reporting isn't devalued by their mindboggling op eds or access journalism.

kotaku does some good poo poo. anything by schrieier tends to be interesting too.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Max Wilco posted:

When you say that you only stand by that sentiment in private for fear of being cancelled if you expressed it publicly, and that you self-censor yourself more often than you used to, it indicates to me that there's an issue.

Regardless, I'm sorry for asking, because now like I put you on the spot as result. :smith:

EDIT: Uh...did I piss someone off? My avatar just changed, and :stare:

The issue is I never present anything publicly as a reflection of personal morality anymore. There is no person, there is only brand. There is no morality, there is only optics.

And FWIW that was your avvy when I made that reply so it ain't me!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The specific article and surrounding discourse about Card's intent for Ender's Game were reaching hard, but ultimately it is a book where an adult man set out to find the perfect way to write "oops I accidentally genocided!" as a story, and even if subsequent books do try to emphasize that it was bad and wrong, you're right that a lot of fascists will overlook that to get giddy at the genocide, or just outright side with the obvious bad guys like the Empire in Star Wars. Card's regressive political opinions already make him a beacon for those sorts of fans anyway, so that doesn't help the situation at all.

I think Ender's Game is a bad example of the satire paradox all around--yes, sometimes chuds do read intent where there is none, but the narrative of "oops I accidentally genocided and now I'm going to spend the rest of my life atoning for it" just does not appeal to real world fascists at all. They don't see themselves as perpetrators of genocide, or if they do, they don't see it as something to apologize for. I see this criticism from the left a lot, but it just doesn't have much in the way of real world application. The way genocide is explored in the book-- the fact that propaganda quite literally dehumanizes the buggers to the point where xenocide is not only justified but necessary by the humans, only for everyone to realize their error after the deed was done, is anathema to real world fascists. That sort of self-reflection is kind of the anti-Starship Troopers in that way, so SFF fascists tend not to like Ender in the way they do a lot of military space opera. So, yes, the plot does bend itself in a way to make the reader sympathetic to the guy who was (kinda) responsible for the xenocide, but not in a way that is useful or ideologically conforms to fascism.

What I meant was, more broadly, I wish I hadn't been so dismissive of explorations of what is/is Nazi apologia in general, or rather I should say, what is/isn't appealing to fascists. I do maintain that the original author who made that reach was ridiculous (and had a huge vendetta against Card, justified or not), but it didn't even occur to me to examine how the text might be appealing to real world fascists, because hey, it's 2013! It's Obama's America! Fascism's over! Wheeee!

Pirate Jenny fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 28, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the idea behind enders game is interesting with the whole, "what if the protag unknowingly commits xenocide and how the gently caress would anyone come to terms with that" and its still an interesting book. that being said. alot of cards other works is super openly regressive in a ton of different ways and has only gotten more so, so i don't really care for his stuff.

Maybe Ender's Game was unwittingly a prediction of video games like Spec Ops: The Line that go, "You were the real villain" at the end.

https://twitter.com/TheTrashbang/status/1132175077632430080

Pirate Jenny posted:

And FWIW that was your avvy when I made that reply so it ain't me!

Oh no, I didn't think it was you. I just realized it changed between when I saw your reply and when I managed to finish writing the response.

I'm not even sure who I pissed off, or what it was I said recently that warranted it now. Guess I'll have to buy a new avatar. :sigh:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pirate Jenny posted:

I think Ender's Game is a bad example of the satire paradox all around--yes, sometimes chuds do read intent where there is none, but the narrative of "oops I accidentally genocided and now I'm going to spend the rest of my life atoning for it" just does not appeal to real world fascists at all. They don't see themselves as perpetrators of genocide, or if they do, they don't see it as something to apologize for.

Not internally, no, but a lot of fascist apologia absolutely does take the track that most of the genocides they can't explain away really were just accidents, a little oopsie, a wee fucky-wucky, poor Hitler didn't mean to systematically exterminate millions of people, it just sort of happened! Anyone could have made that mistake, really, but with the benefit of hindsight we can do a Kinder, gentler ethnic cleansing next time!

Rather darkly, you see a lot of this in American news media with the common trope of characterizing previous bloody imperial misadventures as "blunders," "quagmires," or "entanglements," as if the US military didn't intend to wage forever war, it just tripped over its shoelaces and accidentally murdered 151,000 Iraqis. Citations Needed is a very good podcast and covers this in their 13th episode, but back to the point - "I accidentally did a genocide" definitely is compatible with the narratives of the far right, because the narratives aren't really for the true believers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since people in this thread both A) think about things and B) notice when things happen as opposed to me, who just kinda floats through life like a balloon with 'Idiot' written on it I have a couple questions about actresses.

I know I shouldn't be trusting youtube comments but is Emma Watson still alright as far as acting goes? I saw one guy just going on a tear about how she's overrated which doesn't really mean anything since people will say that about anyone more well known than Overtkill. And secondly, what rude comment is this 2 year old video talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_jpioAkCU&t=41s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pirate Jenny posted:

I think Ender's Game is a bad example of the satire paradox all around--yes, sometimes chuds do read intent where there is none, but the narrative of "oops I accidentally genocided and now I'm going to spend the rest of my life atoning for it" just does not appeal to real world fascists at all. They don't see themselves as perpetrators of genocide, or if they do, they don't see it as something to apologize for.

I wouldn't say that it's a satire paradox, like with Stephen Colbert, but even critical/deconstructive content that's not done for laughs will attract some rubes. Like all the random right wing people that somehow miss the Empire were the baddies in Star Wars, or the skinheads that thought Edward Norton's character in American History X was the coolest poo poo from watching the first 30 minutes of the movie. I do agree that Ender's Game is pretty firm that the entire incident was objectively wrong, and Ender spends the rest of his life atoning for it, and in my experience anyone that was super pumped about the twist hadn't read the book since middle school, either and missed or misremembered a lot of it, or didn't read any of the sequels that reiterate how bad the xenocide was.

Pirate Jenny posted:

I see this criticism from the left a lot, but it just doesn't have much in the way of real world application. The way genocide is explored in the book-- the fact that propaganda quite literally dehumanizes the buggers to the point where xenocide is not only justified but necessary by the humans, only for everyone to realize their error after the deed was done, is anathema to real world fascists. That sort of self-reflection is kind of the anti-Starship Troopers in that way, so SFF fascists tend not to like Ender in the way they do a lot of military space opera. So, yes, the plot does bend itself in a way to make the reader sympathetic to the guy who was (kinda) responsible for the xenocide, but not in a way that is useful or ideologically conforms to fascism.

What I meant was, more broadly, I wish I hadn't been so dismissive of explorations of what is/is Nazi apologia in general, or rather I should say, what is/isn't appealing to fascists. I do maintain that the original author who made that reach was ridiculous (and had a huge vendetta against Card, justified or not), but it didn't even occur to me to examine how the text might be appealing to real world fascists, because hey, it's 2013! It's Obama's America! Fascism's over! Wheeee!

Yeah, to be clear, I think the text supports that, at least at the time, the Card that wrote the early Ender books wasn't going for Hitler apologia. Card aging like fine cream has invited people to be more receptive to the original essay even when it jumps to kind of extreme conclusions, but also I don't blame people for being on their guard, especially right now. I know I got complacent in Obama's America, too, so I can't really fault anyone there.

That's not to say that some readings aren't wild misinterpretations though, like the previously mentioned "Steven Universe is Fascism!"... and man SU has it's own toxic subfandom that's like a microcosm of everything wrong with issuing a burn notice on a work of media because you can find something objectionable about it if you try.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pirate Jenny posted:

I think Ender's Game is a bad example of the satire paradox all around--yes, sometimes chuds do read intent where there is none, but the narrative of "oops I accidentally genocided and now I'm going to spend the rest of my life atoning for it" just does not appeal to real world fascists at all. They don't see themselves as perpetrators of genocide, or if they do, they don't see it as something to apologize for. I see this criticism from the left a lot, but it just doesn't have much in the way of real world application. The way genocide is explored in the book-- the fact that propaganda quite literally dehumanizes the buggers to the point where xenocide is not only justified but necessary by the humans, only for everyone to realize their error after the deed was done, is anathema to real world fascists. That sort of self-reflection is kind of the anti-Starship Troopers in that way, so SFF fascists tend not to like Ender in the way they do a lot of military space opera. So, yes, the plot does bend itself in a way to make the reader sympathetic to the guy who was (kinda) responsible for the xenocide, but not in a way that is useful or ideologically conforms to fascism.

I'm not quite so sure. I remember reading it at my SO's urging (she really wanted to know what I'd think of the portuguese/brazilian colony in the later books) and I remember raising an eyebrow at the whole "Ender is a sweet peace-loving kid, but when someone becpmes a threat, he ENDS THE THREAT PERMANENTLY", even if it mean curb-stomping a kid in the shower.

I can easily see it feeding into the 'reluctant warrior' myth of some fash. Se, we're christian civilized and high-minded , but when some evil civilization threatens us, we'll just have to glass them for good! gently caress, Sam Harris has basically made that argument in long form not that long ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe Ender's Game was unwittingly a prediction of video games like Spec Ops: The Line that go, "You were the real villain" at the end.

https://twitter.com/TheTrashbang/status/1132175077632430080

At least SMT usually gives you a choice between different extremes, choosing which of your friends to brutally murder for your ideology.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va_O1Zod0kk

never drink Soylent jesus loving christ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you're missing out on the constipation if you stop at only one bottle

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The worst thing I've realised about this is that it's basically Slim-Fast for techbros. And Slim-Fast even suggests you eat proper food at least once a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Too late, L.A. Beast is already drinking 50 of them.