Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My hometown boasts a long operating drive in movie theater which during the day time is a big flea market (and used to have a free circus with elephants every day.) It's run by an insane old man that zips around on a golf carts and beats up vendors he has disagreements with. I think they still charge by the carload, but in any case they seem to be doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

AAA baseball is great. Tickets are like $10-$20 depending on the seats and my local ballpark has fireworks after Friday home games.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

With retail dropping like mad, do you think places like Costco will expand at all, or is there a chance the axe might drop on them too?
Costco makes more in membership fees than sales revenue, they treat and pay their employees well and have a maximum markup on everything they sell. Other than warehouse stores, there's nowhere you can go with a truck and pick up half a pallet of soda or beer for your corner store. They're locked into the most sustainble sustainable retail store model possible.

stevewm posted:

I also think some of it is that recent generations also may not care about sports nearly as much....

My sample size is small, but at least people I know around my age (35), and some younger than that just don't seem to be as interested in sports, like say their parents are.
Baseball is too slow paced for younger generations (movies have been consistently getting faster paced, I suspect it can be generalized to sports but I'm not sure). Football has 4 or 5 decades left at max because our understanding of CTEs and subconcussive injuries will inevitably kill it off as people realize how risky it is and refuse to let their kids play. Basketball is fast paced, easy to follow (the big ball helps a lot), and it's easy to get into thanks to college leagues being such a big thing (at least in the US). NHL? HDTV saved the sport for sure, and I suspect we're going to see it become a less physical and more agile sport for the same reasons that American football is doomed.

Iron Crowned posted:

They're also more entertaining than major league games
$7 local games were awesome until the owners decided to disband the team and turn the baseball stadium into a concert venue.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

AAA baseball is great. Tickets are like $10-$20 depending on the seats and my local ballpark has fireworks after Friday home games.

Minor league baseball is cheap because the players get paid like $10k a season and the team employees, like front office staff, not concession people, make about $40k a year to have “general manager” and the like roles while working 90 hours a week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Minor league baseball is cheap because the players get paid like $10k a season and the team employees, like front office staff, not concession people, make about $40k a year to have “general manager” and the like roles while working 90 hours a week.

Some of them do not get paid much but the average is not quite that low.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How much is that average thrown off by the random former major league player on a minor league contract, or a rising prospect on a multi million dollar deal?

E: the graphic says average and median are the same to the dollar so I'm skeptical of the number

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

brugroffil posted:

How much is that average thrown off by the random former major league player on a minor league contract, or a rising prospect on a multi million dollar deal?

E: the graphic says average and median are the same to the dollar so I'm skeptical of the number

I'd be curious of just AAA players who never played a game in the show.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

It’s easy to sympathize with a kid who is not a high draft pick yet longs to play in the majors. If he needs considerable development, he’ll likely start in Single-A ball. There, he would make approximately $1,600 per month on average for an A+ league or $1,300 per month for A, with many of the players living with host families. It is here that many question how a ballplayer is making a living wage.

After that, the salaries change. A player in Double-A will earn approximately $6,000 a month on average, and those in Triple-A (the players most likely to be developed into Major League talent) average about $10,000 a month. It’s not major league money, and many would say that $10,000 a month would allow you to live comfortably, but remember, the seasons in the minors are shorter than those in MLB.

Single A really sucks for these dudes but the majority of them are young and developing talent to play in the majors.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

brugroffil posted:

'average' does not necessarily mean 'mean'. (And shouldn't when you're talking about salary per industry)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Real Fans will disagree, but baseball is such a static sport that it's arguably more exciting when it's played only semi-competently. Balls getting past the catcher, infielders booting plays, outfielders misjudging balls, base running mistakes etc. are exciting. Bad soccer or football or hockey or basketball is just bad.

The feeder leagues of every sport are pretty depressing from a salary / odds of "making it" perspective.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pangstrom posted:

Real Fans will disagree, but baseball is such a static sport that it's arguably more exciting when it's played only semi-competently. Balls getting past the catcher, infielders booting plays, outfielders misjudging balls, base running mistakes etc. are exciting. Bad soccer or football or hockey or basketball is just bad.

The feeder leagues of every sport are pretty depressing from a salary / odds of "making it" perspective.

The documentary on Netflix “The battered bastards of baseball” illustrates this pretty well. It’s a good watch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GWBBQ posted:

Baseball is too slow paced for younger generations (movies have been consistently getting faster paced, I suspect it can be generalized to sports but I'm not sure). Football has 4 or 5 decades left at max because our understanding of CTEs and subconcussive injuries will inevitably kill it off as people realize how risky it is and refuse to let their kids play. Basketball is fast paced, easy to follow (the big ball helps a lot), and it's easy to get into thanks to college leagues being such a big thing (at least in the US). NHL? HDTV saved the sport for sure, and I suspect we're going to see it become a less physical and more agile sport for the same reasons that American football is doomed.

Hard disagree on most of the doom saying.

MLB in 2018 takes absolutely forever to play. The same 18 minutes of actual play in the game has stretched out from 2 hours in 1946 to 3 hours now. It's not that people's attention spans are getting shorter, it's that the game is literally getting more boring by the year. Baseball can very much be a fun game to spectate, but it's just NOT right now. MLB has at least finally realized this, but they're going to have to cut into the very lucrative TV commercial time to fix it which is going to be an extremely painful decision for them, so it likely comes down to whether they're willing to let greed drive them extinct.

Football won't stop because people realize how dangerous it is, as long as there's a fraction of the population that sees it as their ticket out of poverty, and we can as a society ignore that we're putting injuries onto a subclass as long as we get our entertainment.

Don't expect to see fighting in hockey go away anytime soon, it's Soccer On Ice without it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We will invent cybernetic humans not to treat disease but to save contact sports

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
People generally don’t like watching sports they don’t play. Which is why it’s taking so long for professional soccer to finally get a foothold. You needed a critical mass of people who had played the sport as children to support it as adults.

Football in the next decade is going to be played by fewer and fewer youths. It’ll take a while for the sport to decline because it’s still got lots of momentum, but the next generation that doesn’t play it also won’t watch it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I like watching baseball, but I fully admit that I'm not always in the mood for it, and I probably (almost certainly) like the idea of liking baseball more than I actually like baseball.

Good writing about baseball, though, I've always got time for that.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

pangstrom posted:

Hell I'll agree. I once went to an Indians game in my teens and both pitchers were throwing perfectly until like the 6-7th inning when someone FINALLY got a good hit in. Before that it was just 3 up, 3 down, 3 up, 3 down, repeat.

Goddamn that was the most boring game. There's pictures of my Dad and I asleep in the stands

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
That really is the thing about Major League Baseball, a whole lot of nothing happens. I mean most of the game, you'll have one team ahead because they got a single run. Then in the 8th inning, the other team gets a run, and the game goes 5 extra innings for similar reasons until someone ends the game with 4 runs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You really need to be a drunk or interested in stats to enjoy baseball. Like those 1 hitter pitcher duels are boring unless you’re super into ERA and fielding numbers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

An average MLB game has 8-9 runs scored in it between both teams. Teams winning on just one or two runs scored is fairly uncommon. There's more scoring in baseball than in hockey. Baseball's issue is the time spent in between pitches, which the league keeps toying with addressing in some way.

MLB attendance has gone down slightly in 2017 and 2018, but had held steady for the 8 years before that. MLB has some stuff to fix, but it's not like it's a dead sport all of a sudden. It also benefits from being the only major sport on during the summer, and people like to go out in nice weather and drink at the park. It has some natural advantages.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

They just need to have multiple balls in play at once. Makes pinball hella fun

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

vyst posted:

They just need to have multiple balls in play at once. Makes pinball hella fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQF8rQaIjUE

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Baseball is only boring to boring people.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

The overwhelming majority of players arent in AAA.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Baseball is only boring to boring people.

Jokes on you! I don't like sports :smuggo:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

MarcusSA posted:

Hey, I make more than the average minor leaguer. That feels... good I think?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
A thought a baseball player named First Baseman died because someone didn't follow the style guide.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Volcott posted:

A thought a baseball player named First Baseman died because someone didn't follow the style guide.

Abbott and Costello, thou art avenged!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

During my awkward early teenage years I liked basketball. Michael Jordan and Shaq were still playing, to give an indication on timeframe. Watching the crowd go nuts at college tourney games and Dick Vitale's colorful commentary was especially good. I had a cheap hoop in my driveway, and I had NBA Jam on SNES.

I've seen enough American Football to understand the rules, mostly as a curiosity because my dad would get so worked up over it. I guess I kind of get the appeal of the sport but it is incredibly overblown and a huge waste of resources in student athletics, especially for public schools. Also the name is a misnomer and it bothers me. I'm hoping it will eventually go extinct so the real Football can take its own name back. And on that note, I don't know much about actual Football except it's the dominant sport pretty much everywhere except the US and Japan, although I imagine that has changed in the former over my lifetime due to our growing hispanic population.

I like retro baseball video games (the basic formula that Famicom Baseball in '83 invented, and everyone else copied) but you'd have to pay me to watch it on TV. I did a couple times in high school because the guy who dated my crushes (more than once) was into it and I guess it was a "what's his secret" thing. As it turns out, he was more attractive and cooler than me, and baseball is incredibly boring to watch.

WTF is ice hockey? I live in a southern state so it's pretty alien. The Nintendo game was fun I guess!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ofecks posted:

During my awkward early teenage years I liked basketball. Michael Jordan and Shaq were still playing, to give an indication on timeframe. Watching the crowd go nuts at college tourney games and Dick Vitale's colorful commentary was especially good. I had a cheap hoop in my driveway, and I had NBA Jam on SNES.

I've seen enough American Football to understand the rules, mostly as a curiosity because my dad would get so worked up over it. I guess I kind of get the appeal of the sport but it is incredibly overblown and a huge waste of resources in student athletics, especially for public schools. Also the name is a misnomer and it bothers me. I'm hoping it will eventually go extinct so the real Football can take its own name back. And on that note, I don't know much about actual Football except it's the dominant sport pretty much everywhere except the US and Japan, although I imagine that has changed in the former over my lifetime due to our growing hispanic population.

I like retro baseball video games (the basic formula that Famicom Baseball in '83 invented, and everyone else copied) but you'd have to pay me to watch it on TV. I did a couple times in high school because the guy who dated my crushes (more than once) was into it and I guess it was a "what's his secret" thing. As it turns out, he was more attractive and cooler than me, and baseball is incredibly boring to watch.

WTF is ice hockey? I live in a southern state so it's pretty alien. The Nintendo game was fun I guess!

I was reading this post and I was like ok yeah this person doesn’t live in the US....

You live in the south and thats how you talk about football? So very very odd.

Real football is awesome though you should definitely learn about it. Going to a football game really is a lot of fun ( at least here in LA) because of how great the crowds are.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Also the name is a misnomer and it bothers me. I'm hoping it will eventually go extinct so the real Football can take its own name back. And on that note, I don't know much about actual Football except it's the dominant sport pretty much everywhere except the US and Japan, although that will likely change in the former due to our growing hispanic population.

It's not really a misnomer, it just doesn't reflect the evolution of the game. Association football (what the rest of the world calls just football and we here in the US and a few other places call soccer (from the word association)), rugby football, American football, Australian football and probably some other stuff all share a common ancestor. Which one ended up getting called just football in any particular place was just probably whichever one ended up being most popular there.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I think that was very much a "Source your quotes" kind of post.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

The episode is a bit old now, but Freakonomics had a really good episode on quitting, and it includes a minor league baseball player who should have quit way earlier.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Real football is awesome though you should definitely learn about it. Going to a football game really is a lot of fun ( at least here in LA) because of how great the crowds are.

The last time I went to an actual football game in the states, my team had a devastating 7-0 loss and by the end the supporters were booing them more than the other team, so I've vowed to stay away from actually going to the games in case I jinx them. It was super fun up until the score got to around 4-0 though.

Also I ended up going down the rabbit hole and now I can't stop reading about football in all its forms.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It turns out the most badass sport is hurling. We just suck too much too play it. From my understanding there's not even a professional league, so all the players have real jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hey, I make more than the average minor leaguer. That feels... good I think?

Alternatively, I make less than the average minor leaguer. Womp womp.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Despite being Australian I have a soft spot for American football (aka Gridiron) simply because it was the first sport in my life where the rules were actually explained to me rather than expecting me to already know them via osmosis or something.

Baseball sounds like it has many of the same problems as cricket minus millions of fanatical followers in Asia and the Caribbean.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/business/lacroix-sales/index.html

quote:

"The LaCroix brand has gone from bad, to worse, to disastrous in a relatively short period of time," Grandet said, citing increased competition for similar-type beverages and the "lack of meaningful or disruptive innovation" from the drink's owner, National Beverage.
National Beverage's (FIZZ) stock price has fallen 10% this week and 62% since September 2018.

quote:

In his note, Grandet also blamed inexperienced management from its parent company, National Beverage (FIZZ). He said it's "unlikely that LaCroix can recover to any meaningful degree while in the hands of National Beverage."
National Beverage reported a drop in sales and profit in its latest quarter. That triggered an unusual response from the company's mercurial chairman and CEO, Nick Caporella.
"We are truly sorry for these results stated above," he said in a letter to shareholders. "Negligence nor mismanagement nor woeful acts of God were not the reasons — much of this was the result of injustice!"
He made an unusual comparison between LaCroix and people who are physically disabled, adding that managing a brand is similar to "caring for someone who becomes handicapped."

:yeshaha:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For once, a company whose product I've literally poured down the drain. One sip and I had enough of that crap.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure why CNN's just now reporting on it, we went over this a month or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Baseball sounds like it has many of the same problems as cricket minus millions of fanatical followers in Asia and the Caribbean.

At least baseball ends in one day, mostly.