Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Shaman Linavi posted:

walked through the forest to look at waterfalls and really wished i just stayed there

that reminds me of the hawaii parts of The Girl from Everywhere and makes me wanna read that book again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

A MIRACLE posted:

where’s good to camp around LA please

lol. that's going to be a long journey

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well in the sense that everything is a journey in the LA area

but there’s actually a surprising amount of wilderness surrounding it with the Santa Monica mountains and others

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
was thinking about going into nature later today but the auto shop called and now I have to spend the morning picking up my car

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the boat shop at the reservoir is renting kayaks for the season starting today

I really want to but the high is 60F outside with the water being much colder, and I don't have any equipment/clothes for that :(

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

:yosnice:, where in the world is this?
zillie falls in the atherton tablelands region of Queensland AU. would recommend wandering through the area if you get a chance.

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 11, 2019

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i'm going to go spend some time in the garden instead of playing video games

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I went to he local reservoir and rented a kayak today

I want nothing more than to buy a roof rack and a kayak and go right back and I’m not making that up. even on flat boring water in the cold, that owned so much

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

I went to he local reservoir and rented a kayak today

I want nothing more than to buy a roof rack and a kayak and go right back and I’m not making that up. even on flat boring water in the cold, that owned so much

everyone i've known who's moved to colarado has never returned. looks like the effects are quickly taking ciaphas as well

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if only they'd take my lungs as quickly

holy hells i'm winded -_-

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

if only they'd take my lungs as quickly

holy hells i'm winded -_-

apparently there's significant health benefits to that so turn that frown upside down!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lovely weather today

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

lancemantis posted:

well in the sense that everything is a journey in the LA area

but there’s actually a surprising amount of wilderness surrounding it with the Santa Monica mountains and others

yeah, LA literally shares a border with a national forest and there's multiple others nearby

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

apparently there's significant health benefits to that so turn that frown upside down!

people keep telling me when/if i travel to lower climes i'll be a fuckin superhero for a few days, so there's that

and yeah i'm enjoying all this outdoors-y stuff i've been doing. whoda thunk. hopefully funemployment finally coming to a close doesn't damper that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

c me s

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

well hey there, Sea Reiser, who was the unlucky jetsam sitting up front

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

more lovely weather today

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
looks like i'm probably going rafting with friends on saturday. current forecast is highs in the 60s and possibly raining. should i get a wetsuit for this or are there other options for clothing i should look into

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wetsuit and splash jacket seem like a good bet this time of year

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

looks like i'm probably going rafting with friends on saturday. current forecast is highs in the 60s and possibly raining. should i get a wetsuit for this or are there other options for clothing i should look into

sea captain hat, speedo, vibrams

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
computers can eat poo poo imo

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

computers can eat poo poo imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

got out on the kayak again today

pretty drat sure i'm buying roof racks and a kayak of my own at some point this or next summer, even if i only ever go to boulder reservoir i enjoy that a lot

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

summer has hit tokyo, i want to be anywhere else than the concrete hellscape heat island

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Penisface posted:

summer has hit tokyo, i want to be anywhere else than the concrete hellscape heat island

I want you to be anywhere but in front of a keyboard (or any other device capable of posting to the forums of Something Awful dot Com)!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ciaphas posted:

got out on the kayak again today

pretty drat sure i'm buying roof racks and a kayak of my own at some point this or next summer, even if i only ever go to boulder reservoir i enjoy that a lot

universe brain: then we'll build you a little trailer for your kayak and you can ride to the lake on your bicycle

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I rode my bicycle into the woods and fell asleep. a+ will do again

need to figure out a way to keep food safe from bears. bear cans I've seen won't fit on a bike, bear sacks aren't approved most places, and hanging can difficult (lack of good trees) and usually not effective enough. hmph

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

need to figure out a way to keep food safe from bears. bear cans I've seen won't fit on a bike, bear sacks aren't approved most places, and hanging can difficult (lack of good trees) and usually not effective enough. hmph

leave scat all around your campsite to mark your territory and wear a bear costume and yell to scare the other bears away

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's worth doing even if there aren't bears around

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
just eat the bears

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

in certain circumstances, i just sleep with my food. depends where youre camping and what youre packing.

edit: and assuming by "bears" you mean black bears obviously

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 28, 2019

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

black bears, yeah.

anywhere there are grizzlies i'd likely be required to carry a bear can or sleep in an area with on-site storage anyway

place i was camping didn't mention bears at all so vOv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my girl friend moved in and we are planning many outdoor trips

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

my girl friend moved in and we are planning many outdoor trips

this seems good

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
ditch the gf and gently caress the bears

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

solution: crater lake

this is nice brother. sorry for all the times I was a dick

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I went and weighed my pack with 6 days of food and 4 liters of water and it's 30 pounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

ditch the gf and gently caress the bears

buddy... they won't even let me gently caress the bears