Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my prediction is that wwdc is going to be a big wet fart like every Tim event

here's a helpful apple buyers guide for 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIVZYevfGU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim's saving up his mojo for the iphone 11 announcement where they get to show off that the camera wart is actually malignant and has spread

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
snow leopard was the last good Mac OS.

look how loving bad lion was, they’re still backtracking on decisions made in lion and it’s been 7 versions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

SRQ posted:

wwdc next week, who's got the hot betS?

imma bet that the new mac pro isn't announced or mentioned. sub-bet: it goes the way of airpower [in that they couldn't make it work given their stupid design size constraints]
macos 10.15 works on less models than normal because they want to go all-retina, so only 2014+ [with the airs fromt his period just being grandfathered in and working like poo poo]
ios the next one has user profiles on ipad pro
services, something that we took for granted as free now has a cost [which apple excuses by calling it Service+] or some new part of MacOS 15 is monetized

msbp have been retina since 2012

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

retina means nothing if it doesn't imply a specific dpi, the values changed over the years between laughable and admittedly pretty good in both directions

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
man part of me likes rossman for fixing poo poo that most apple repair shops can’t but I hate that he’s a psychotic chud

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

They also do a 5 year ProPlus-equivalent warranty for the X1 XXXX-TREME, Dell tops out at 4 for the XPSes.

I'm not going to lie, my first SERIOUS BUSINESS laptop was a ThinkPad T42 and I've always regarded them fondly. Is their organization Dell-comparable?

Does anyone know when they'll be moving to 9th gen Intels and 1660/2060 graphics (Dell is apparently releasing the XPS 15 with these in June)?

digging this old post out to note that the xps 15 got the more reasonable GTX 1650 (so same 50ish watt envelope as the 1050, but a turing chip now), indeed 9th gen processors, and the webcam moved to now film your face instead of your nostrils. also an oled option for people who are made of money.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 28, 2019

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i predict larger touch bars and smaller keyboards. gotta double down on that poo poo until everyone loves it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Now the touchbar will take up the top two rows of the keyboard. With every revision, it will move down another row.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

snow leopard was the last good Mac OS.

look how loving bad lion was, they’re still backtracking on decisions made in lion and it’s been 7 versions.

there has never been a good mac os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unless you consider windows a mac os because it runs on macs. Windows is the best os to run on a mac.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

unless you consider windows a mac os because it runs on macs. Windows is the best os to run on a mac.

written like someone who hasn't actually tried running windows on a mac.

the trackpad becomes unusable and the fans run at full tilt because I don't think power management works correctly with the supplied drivers.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Laslow posted:

no he’s right, it all started with natural scroll.

i showed someone how to change it back to the normal way and it blew their mind it was even an option

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

natural scrolling on touch devices makes sense, but not on old school scroll wheel mice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Plorkyeran posted:

msbp have been retina since 2012

they also sold non-retina models for several years after that

so yeah, i'd fully expect them to fragment the install base in a way none of their customers will understand

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

natural scrolling on touch devices makes sense, but not on old school scroll wheel mice

true, but i can see liking natural scrolling if you a literal baby that pawed at ipads for 5 years before you used a computer

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

akadajet posted:

written like someone who hasn't actually tried running windows on a mac.

the trackpad becomes unusable and the fans run at full tilt because I don't think power management works correctly with the supplied drivers.

and yet it's the best os available to run on a mac

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the new iPod touch, faster and bigger than ever and just as beautiful

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, that's looks pretty neat really. hard to really motivate the consumer usefulness of those these days, but they show up in all kinds of weird commercial applications these days.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ah, that's looks pretty neat really. hard to really motivate the consumer usefulness of those these days, but they show up in all kinds of weird commercial applications these days.

It's for kids whose parents won't let them get a phone but who can trick them into getting an ipod so they can use snapchat.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sometimes when I start to efficiently thumb type on an iPad I somehow select and entire phrase or sentence that immediately gets typed over and I’ve never been able to figure out how the gently caress this happens, Apple is good at design.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my favourite is the half-second delay from when you type to when an autocomplete suggestion updates, leaving you selecting bullshit gibberish about half the time

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Maybe the 14” Inspiron? It’s got an m.2 and a 2.5” hard disk hole so there’s room to upgrade, it only has an MX150 but that’s probably enough for old games like Skyrim and Witcher and train sperg games?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pinterest Mom posted:

the new iPod touch, faster and bigger than ever and just as beautiful

good now put a loving cell radio in it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

wait are those 6"+ gently caress me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

give me my smallphone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

wait are those 6"+ gently caress me
no, they're still 4" since they're targeted at babies who aren't old enough to own a telephone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

give me my smallphone

no, but what if, instead, we just keep converging all our device designs on the ipad phablet form factor?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you're both wrong, it's the same size as an iphone 7 [tim gotta get the most out of existing tooling y'know] or 4'7"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and hey, not super courageous

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ruffian Price posted:

retina means nothing if it doesn't imply a specific dpi, the values changed over the years between laughable and admittedly pretty good in both directions

idk about the other models but the retinas pro of a given size have all had the same native resolution

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

you're both wrong, it's the same size as an iphone 7 [tim gotta get the most out of existing tooling y'know] or 4'7"

that's a big twinkie ipod

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

[tim gotta get the most out of existing tooling y'know] or 4'7"

you make do with what the good lord gave ya'

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

and hey, not super courageous

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Last Chance posted:

natural scrolling on touch devices makes sense

nah, it's poo poo on anything that isn't an actual touchscreen

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Soricidus posted:

nah, it's poo poo on anything that isn't an actual touchscreen

there's a row of cardio machines at the gym where the channel changing up-arrow decreases the channel number (the optionally-visible channel list is ordered ascending so you're scrolling this list i guess)

i blame apple and their stupid choices

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
iOS 13 screenshots leaked, some dark mode bits, plus some UI changes

iOS12 annotation toolbar, for example

iOS13

AFTER 10000 YEARS I'M FREE.
\

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I will use... the drill pencil

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dril pencils was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah iOS 12 annotation bar is easier to identify what’s what than the iOS 13 one

broken clock correct twice a day, etc